Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Decided to skip the Heath 10k, and next weeks Raheny in favour of concentrating on training and getting the miles in.

Happy to have finished up the first week of p&d with a 13 miler in a packed Phoenix Park this morning....I'll be glad of the rest tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Managed a 37 minute run/walk 5k this morning. Not very spectacular at all but still it is a bit of progress. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great racing today ncmc and willie42. ncmc: with a proper warmup you can maybe dip under 35 minutes for your 5 mile race, which one is it? Todays race will have brought you on a lot.
    Willie42: great to see you smashed your target and glad that you think the sessions helped you.

This week is a recovery week and most of you have a race at the end of it. The idea is to go into the race as fresh as possible so no sessions this week and all runs should be done easy. Strides can be done at the end of a few of your runs though.

For those not racing: we have still had 3 hard weeks in a row so a stepback is also in order.

Plan is:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |5 mile easy|rest/cross|7 miles easy with strides|4 miles easy|5m easy (strides optional)|rest/cross|LSR or race

Remember for the race to do a nice warmup with a few strides at race pace thrown in. Ideally a few miles cooldown after the race as well (I know this can be hard though).

Looking forward to all the race reports next weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great racing today ncmc and willie42. ncmc: with a proper warmup you can maybe dip under 35 minutes for your 5 mile race, which one is it? Todays race will have brought you on a lot.
    Willie42: great to see you smashed your target and glad that you think the sessions helped you.

Thanks Meno, the next race is another BHAA 4 miler, same course as today, it's on Feb 10th, I think with another couple of speed sessions in training and a proper warm up, I could knock at least a minute of today's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

ncmc wrote: »
    New Runner, I think it is harder on the lungs to run in really cold weather, I certainly felt it this morning.

So my first race since DCM and my first short race meant I was a bit unsure what to expect. It was very, very cold this morning, dry thankfully, but I was sorry I'd forgotten my gloves and hat. I did a mile warm up, much to the chagrin of my work colleague who was running with me, but the race was 15 mins late in starting, so the benefit of the warm up probably was gone at that stage and I felt myself getting very cold as I waited.

Off we went and I realised there was something wrong with my watch, it was reading my miles per hour rather than my pace so I couldn't figure out what pace I was going and I didn't know how to change it back. Turns out I had somehow changed it to biking.... D'oh! I was just going by time and as a result probably took the first mile a bit fast. My friend had zoomed ahead of me so I just put the head down and went as fast as I could. The wind was biting into my face, definitely not pleasant running conditions. I struggled a bit in the middle, I would say my pace slowed a bit but I was averaging about 7:10 miles. It was tough going I have to say and I was wheezing like an oul one with emphysema but I managed to finish quite strong despite my breakfast churning around my stomach like a washing machine on a spin cycle! Unfortunately my watch didn't give me my splits, but I finished the 4 miles in 28:20.

I'm a little disappointed with those 20 seconds, but I think I definitely could have knocked a few seconds per mile off if it hadn't been so cold. Considering I've done very little speed training, I'm happy enough. There's another 4 miles next month, so would hope to be closer to 27 mins.

Great running ncmc, the cold was definitely hard on the lungs this morning

• Advertisement

Thanks Meno - How long should the lsr be on Sunday - 10-13 miles? Am hoping to get another 10K in next few weeks. Am hoping to do DCM later this year and race series leading up to it (Would like to try & follow P&D, may be ambitious here). I hope to do Limerick 1/2 in May also. Am just wondering about the plan this week - is this and future plans set up for folks doing spring/Limerick/Cork Marathons? Should I look at a plan to follow until Limerick half or keep going with weekly plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Willie42 wrote: »
    Thanks Meno - How long should the lsr be on Sunday - 10-13 miles? Am hoping to get another 10K in next few weeks. Am hoping to do DCM later this year and race series leading up to it (Would like to try & follow P&D, may be ambitious here). I hope to do Limerick 1/2 in May also. Am just wondering about the plan this week - is this and future plans set up for folks doing spring/Limerick/Cork Marathons? Should I look at a plan to follow until Limerick half or keep going with weekly plans.

Yeah, LSR is 10-13 unless you are looking at a spring Marathon. Initially the plan is going to be geared towards 10 miles/half marathons at the start of March as a lot seem to be doing Ballcotton/Boehermeen Half/Carlingford Half. After that we can re-evaluate based on what everyone wants.

I'd say stick to the plan for now if it helps. You might want to get specific after march if you are going to go for the Cork Marathon (longer LSR's and Marathon paced miles) but 3 months is loads for a marathon programme when you are consistently running before starting it (i.e. already have a good base). I find a lot of 18 week programmes are designed for folks who are looking to build up the mileage from much smaller foundations.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

FiiFii wrote: »
    WalkedIt - nice to see our DCM pic reappear there (though still can't believe they missed you!)

Glad to hear your getting settled, and the snow boarding sound like super XT

Missed - not completely, check bottom right at edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

blockic wrote: »
    Left at 9:15 and that is an awful early hour to be out running! Hopefully just a once off! :D;)

Great running today be everyone also, esp in the weather. We will have it way too easy when our sunny summer comes along! :pac:

That's great progress Blocky, someday we will have you getting those 17 miles finished by 9:15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Looking at Half Marathons as a tune up for Cork Marathon.. Wexford on 21 April looks like good timing & nice course. I see Guinang & Upthe19th are on the spreadsheet for it. but it starts at 10.30am so early it'd be an start from Dublin to participate, not that I'd be put off really. Just checking if there are any other suggestions? What are the other Cork participants doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Looking at Half Marathons as a tune up for Cork Marathon.. Wexford on 21 April looks like good timing & nice course. I see Guinang & Upthe19th are on the spreadsheet for it. but it starts at 10.30am so early it'd be an start from Dublin to participate, not that I'd be put off really. Just checking if there are any other suggestions? What are the other Cork participants doing?

Im gonna do the Meath Half, just outside Navan so only a short spin down from Dublin. March 3rd, dont know if that might be a bit sooner than you wanted?

I’m a bit undecided myself Stephen, Wexford is a bit far for me so not sure what to do. I am going to be in Keswick in Cumbria on holidays when their half marathon is on, May 5th, so just weighing up whether Mr ncmc would divorce me if I declared I was doing a ½ while on holiday!

There’s one in Balbriggan on March 17th and Wicklow on March 24th, but their probably both a bit early for you. Or there’s one in Kildare on May 12th and it doesn’t start til 12.30m but it’s €43…. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Limerick half on May 5th? One month before Cork, would be ideal. May be a bit of a trek though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Following a Hal Higdon 18-week plan for Cork that calls for a HM on 24 March, but I'm considering Tralee HM on 16th March. Failing that, might do Wicklow instead (didn't know about it, there was nothing on runireland.ie for that weekend the last time I looked!)

I’m a bit undecided myself Stephen, Wexford is a bit far for me so not sure what to do. I am going to be in Keswick in Cumbria on holidays when their half marathon is on, May 5th, so just weighing up whether Mr ncmc would divorce me if I declared I was doing a ½ while on holiday!

There’s one in Balbriggan on March 17th and Wicklow on March 24th, but their probably both a bit early for you. Or there’s one in Kildare on May 12th and it doesn’t start til 12.30m but it’s €43…. Ouch!
    Go for the one in Cumbria!! Kildare is steep! I think I'll do balbriggan 10k in march alright.

Limerick half might be a good option too!

Cork training officially starts today on 18 week plan.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Following a Hal Higdon 18-week plan for Cork that calls for a HM on 24 March, but I'm considering Tralee HM on 16th March. Failing that, might do Wicklow instead (didn't know about it, there was nothing on runireland.ie for that weekend the last time I looked!)
    That changes things, I thought mid April would be the timing for a half? If its march I might do balbriggan half.

Go for the one in Cumbria!! Kildare is steep! I think I'll do balbriggan 10k in march alright.

Limerick half might be a good option too!

Cork training officially starts today on 18 week plan.
    Have I read my calendar wrong or are you leaving a weeks buffer for yourself? I’m not starting my 18 week P&D until next week!

Limerick is steep too, €45 before end of January and €55 after that. Think all the halfs that are attached to a full marathon are about that price. I suppose you're paying for all the ammenities and stewarding for the full marathon.

Have I read my calendar wrong or are you leaving a weeks buffer for yourself? I’m not starting my 18 week P&D until next week!

Limerick is steep too, €45 before end of January and €55 after that. Think all the halfs that are attached to a full marathon are about that price. I suppose you're paying for all the ammenities and stewarding for the full marathon.
    I've my calendar wrong oops! Buffer week for me so. Won't be doing limerick at that price so.

Yeah, LSR is 10-13 unless you are looking at a spring Marathon. Initially the plan is going to be geared towards 10 miles/half marathons at the start of March as a lot seem to be doing Ballcotton/Boehermeen Half/Carlingford Half. After that we can re-evaluate based on what everyone wants.

I'd say stick to the plan for now if it helps. You might want to get specific after march if you are going to go for the Cork Marathon (longer LSR's and Marathon paced miles) but 3 months is loads for a marathon programme when you are consistently running before starting it (i.e. already have a good base). I find a lot of 18 week programmes are designed for folks who are looking to build up the mileage from much smaller foundations.

Thanks Meno will stick with plans and reevaluate in March

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gavlor wrote: »
    Who would have thought that a week of flu and a bottle of wine last night would not be conducive to effective running?!

What a difference a day makes!

5.5 miles @ 6.33 mpm avg. a full minute per mile faster than yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

There is a half marathon in Omagh at the end of your week 9 program (30th March) for Cork.
    Only 20 GBP or thereabouts.

http://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/24thSPAROmaghHalfMarathon5KFunRun

Depending on where you are living, it might be an option.

I'm looking at doing Cork myself, so I'm considering this half.

jprender wrote: »
    There is a half marathon in Omagh at the end of your week 9 program (30th March) for Cork.

Long time, no see (post)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

blockic wrote: »

Long time, no see (post)! :D

Long time no run :)

It's so easy to become a lazy guit.

Time to get some focus again.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I planning on doing the omagh half too as doing derry marathon 2nd June .

Get back on that horse! Would be a shame to see that talent wasted!

Sub 3:30 this year, now get on it! :)

I might look into that top, it's a bit far from Cork, but my home place is in Clones, so that's only an hour from Omagh. It's reasonably priced too compared to the ones south of the border!

Actually this is an ideal opportunity to address the lurkers out there!!!

Share your trials and tribulations with us......There are 50 names on the mileage log yet only 1/4 of that actually post, and that's not to mention the runners not yet on the log!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Actually this is an ideal opportunity to address the lurkers out there!!!

Share your trials and tribulations with us......There are 50 names on the mileage log yet only 1/4 of that actually post, and that's not to mention the runners not yet on the log!

I'm a filthy lurker. Getting into running this month has been so slow! Luckily the fear of CCM training starting next week (Hal Higdon 18 week intermediate - with slight mods) is having a positive effect. Trials and tribulations I think are mainly due to a general January-inspired malaise. I've only managed 5 runs this month so far, but this week is going to be my week... ish!

scriba wrote: »

I'm a filthy lurker. Getting into running this month has been so slow! Luckily the fear of CCM training starting next week (Hal Higdon 18 week intermediate - with slight mods) is having a positive effect. Trials and tribulations I think are mainly due to a general January-inspired malaise. I've only managed 5 runs this month so far, but this week is going to be my week... ish!

Good stuff - still plenty of time left to double your January total!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Good stuff - still plenty of time left to double your January total!!

I'm gonna treble it, freeing up time by not lurking. :D

Advertisement