Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Gavlor wrote: »
    Actually this is an ideal opportunity to address the lurkers out there!!!

Share your trials and tribulations with us......There are 50 names on the mileage log yet only 1/4 of that actually post, and that's not to mention the runners not yet on the log!

I'm another lurker here,been running steady over the winter and plan on doing the Derry marathon this year,also Omagh half or a ten miler on local to me on same day.Ran first 5k race this year last Sunday,same one as New runner,forgot how hard that feels.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Should be out now doing 8 miles but am snowed in!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

tenreds wrote: »

I'm another lurker here,been running steady over the winter and plan on doing the Derry marathon this year,also Omagh half or a ten miler on local to me on same day.Ran first 5k race this year last Sunday,same one as New runner,forgot how hard that feels.:D
    Nice to see I not the only inishowener on here! Yeah that 5k was tough, that hill !!! I take it that's the ballyliffin 10m challenge u talking about! Pity they both same day, 2 very different runs though as ballyliffin will b lot hillier ( I hope! Have never done omagh b4 though!) . Apparently Inishowen half on April 28th I think! So maybe cud do both!
    Was driving out the letterkenny - killea road , part of the derry marathon route, yesterday morn , very uphill climb out there, will def b tougher than Dublin !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

theni
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Actually this is an ideal opportunity to address the lurkers out there!!!

Share your trials and tribulations with us......There are 50 names on the mileage log yet only 1/4 of that actually post, and that's not to mention the runners not yet on the log!

Long time lurker here too. I was more of a contributor on the DCM Improvers thread last year but still followed the novice thread as I could relate to a lot of the experiences posted there and really I'm still a novice. Would be happy to post here guys/gals if you'll have me. My figures on the 1000 mile challenge are static at moment due to injury. Read all about it on my own training log http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328

Next planned race is Balbriggan Half Marathon on St Patricks day but current injury puts that in doubt. Keep up the good work here , you guys are doing tremendous stuff. Some of you are more like PhDs than Graduates I'd say:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Manflu keeping me in bed, last run was 7m on Saturday (which really was Fridays run!) so I've missed Sunday & today possibly.

It's a really strange feeling, there's a big voice going round my head telling me that I'm going to miss all my running goals in 2013 because of these 3days in bed!

Need to get the mind focused towards Dungarvan on Sunday, while bed is comfortable, I'm losing my running mojo every minute I stay here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Manflu keeping me in bed, last run was 7m on Saturday (which really was Fridays run!) so I've missed Sunday & today possibly.

It's a really strange feeling, there's a big voice going round my head telling me that I'm going to miss all my running goals in 2013 because of these 3days in bed!

Need to get the mind focused towards Dungarvan on Sunday, while bed is comfortable, I'm losing my running mojo every minute I stay here.

Jaysus Killian, don't talk to me about man flu (or the Black Lung as I refer to it). You are doing the right thing with rest. Early in 2011 and 2012 I continued to run through it despite the advice I was given and on both occasions it went to my chest and made things worse.

You have the mileage in the legs now and will pick the fitness back up very quickly. If you don't feel 100% by Friday then ease off a bit on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Digger - I went through that last post of yours and can't find any reference to a joke, insult, dig or any semblence of humour.
    I actually think it was sincere advice.

Proof, if any were needed that you are actually on deaths door. Get well soon...............(you too Killian)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Lads,

Not sure who, if anyone, was looking for a nice garmin on here before. Just checked amazon and they're doing the 410 with hrm for 138stg. When irish vat is taken into consideration it will likely be around 141stg. Good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

So slight improvement, managed 6 miles on Sun evening and 4 miles last night:). For sunday did warm up, mile then gradually sped up each mile from M, to HM to 10k then 5k pace each before cool down mile, never been so hot in my life:p Last night just gentle recovery run and taking today off as having a long day on the slopes tomorow so need some power in my legs.

Just checked at my milage for the yr on the new spreadsheet and its woeful - less than I was doing in a week before left ireland:(.

I'll def be erring on the lower mileage side of things though for as long as I'm stuck to a treadmill - anyone reccommend a good 10k programme to follow for a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Digger - I went through that last post of yours and can't find any reference to a joke, insult, dig or any semblence of humour.
    I actually think it was sincere advice.

Proof, if any were needed that you are actually on deaths door. Get well soon...............(you too Killian)

Shocking, I know! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

New runner wrote: »
    Nice to see I not the only inishowener on here! Yeah that 5k was tough, that hill !!! I take it that's the ballyliffin 10m challenge u talking about! Pity they both same day, 2 very different runs though as ballyliffin will b lot hillier ( I hope! Have never done omagh b4 though!) . Apparently Inishowen half on April 28th I think! So maybe cud do both!
    Was driving out the letterkenny - killea road , part of the derry marathon route, yesterday morn , very uphill climb out there, will def b tougher than Dublin !

Yeah the Ballyliffin 10 miler,think I'll skip that one and do the two half's instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Freeesh day for running toady - loved it though! 7.44 miles easy (think i am doing easy too easy so tried 9:30 pace and found no problem - knew I needed some HTFU in training). Splits as follows:

9.14 / 9.08 / 9.05 / 9.22 / 9.28 / 8.56 / 8.58

Mile four always kills me - nice gradient leading to hill but tried to keep ahead of pace - obviously recovered during mile 5! Did same during 10K on Sunday - died half way through and picked up last mile. Need to push harder and be more consistent all way through. Felt like a good run though - not hard but knew it was better effort than other "easy" runs.

tenreds wrote: »

Yeah the Ballyliffin 10 miler,think I'll skip that one and do the two half's instead.
    Yeah I thinking of doing that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

This is a random moment, just in from a 8 mile run, longest mid week run since 10th Oct and longest any since 2nd Dec, so feeling a bit pleased that I might just get back in the swing I updated the 1000+ mile challenge XL.

Est year miles = 1,000 exactly, to complete 1/1/14, 2,000 to complete 1/1/15
    all based on a lowly 63 miles to date so I'm a hairs breath short of the targeted 1000+ (estimated) at the tipping point!

So my new resolution is to get the mileage up enough to get year estimate over the target and inside the time and keep it there for remainder of the year.

I know there is a long way to go to navigate around injuries, work, hols, family, my innate laziness etc but whatever about quality I will run the quantity this year.

Walkedit wrote: »
    This is a random moment, just in from a 8 mile run, longest mid week run since 10th Oct and longest any since 2nd Dec, so feeling a bit pleased that I might just get back in the swing I updated the 1000+ mile challenge XL.

Est year miles = 1,000 exactly, to complete 1/1/14, 2,000 to complete 1/1/15
    all based on a lowly 63 miles to date so I'm a hairs breath short of the targeted 1000+ (estimated) at the tipping point!

So my new resolution is to get the mileage up enough to get year estimate over the target and inside the time and keep it there for remainder of the year.

I know there is a long way to go to navigate around injuries, work, hols, family, my innate laziness etc but whatever about quality I will run the quantity this year.
    Good stuff walkedit! U will do it no bother! 😊

10 mile done and dusted by 7.30am, early morning running rocks:p

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Runchick wrote: »
    Wow, I do well to be up by half seven most mornings...nice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fair play to you Runchick..

Omg! Fair play to u! Cud never do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Career_move you'll be proud of me. Did my 5k at 7.00am this morning, haven't had an early morning run in ages, first k my body was a bit confused as to what the hell I was at, once I warmed up though it was great. Sitting at my desk smug now cos it's done for the day. Last year I ran to work sometimes and I loved it. Once I get some fitness and mileage back I'll start that again. Just saw this morning too that the Marlay Park parkruns are starting in February, delighted about that, it's 2 miles from my house, nice distance for a warm up and cool down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Career_move you'll be proud of me. Did my 5k at 7.00am this morning, haven't had an early morning run in ages, first k my body was a bit confused as to what the hell I was at, once I warmed up though it was great. Sitting at my desk smug now cos it's done for the day. Last year I ran to work sometimes and I loved it. Once I get some fitness and mileage back I'll start that again. Just saw this morning too that the Marlay Park parkruns are starting in February, delighted about that, it's 2 miles from my house, nice distance for a warm up and cool down.

What is wrong with you people??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Easy 12k last night in Dublin. Marino to Raheny via Howth Road, back via Clontarf seafront. A lovely fresh, crisp night for a run, cold but dry. Will be doing the Raheny 5 mile this weekend so did part of this run on the course. There were lots and lots of local runners (no doubt many of them Raheny Shamrocks members), doing the same so it's whetted my appetite for the event. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Agh come on, I thought that this running thing was for enjoyment - finished by 7.30am :eek::eek:, I wasnt even out of bed at that stage this morning. In saying that I did do a few early morning runs last year but I'd say the earliest that I started was about 7.30am.Its great to get it done & dusted early morning though - its like you have another days recovery or something.Fair play thats some going to get out there that early - you must have frightened the life out of a few postmen & milkmen though:eek:

docrock wrote: »
    Agh come on, I thought that this running thing was for enjoyment - finished by 7.30am :eek::eek:, I wasnt even out of bed at that stage this morning. In saying that I did do a few early morning runs last year but I'd say the earliest that I started was about 7.30am.Its great to get it done & dusted early morning though - its like you have another days recovery or something.Fair play thats some going to get out there that early - you must have frightened the life out of a few postmen & milkmen though:eek:

Mid week this is the only way to fit in the runs. Must admit it works for me - after a sleepy few miles it feels great to be out and about that early. There were a few others out running this morning - all girls ;)

My toenail that blackened during DCM finally fell off today :eek: Thank god it lasted during my holiday, hopefully a new one grows back in time for summer :eek: Bit gross but makes me feel like a proper marathoner now ;)

murphd77 wrote: »
    Easy 12k last night in Dublin. Marino to Raheny via Howth Road, back via Clontarf seafront. A lovely fresh, crisp night for a run, cold but dry. Will be doing the Raheny 5 mile this weekend so did part of this run on the course. There were lots and lots of local runners (no doubt many of them Raheny Shamrocks members), doing the same so it's whetted my appetite for the event. Bring it on!

So jealous. Am registered but can't run due to injury. It's a great race and local to me too. Hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RedRunner wrote: »
    So jealous. Am registered but can't run due to injury. It's a great race and local to me too. Hope it goes well for you.

My ambitions are modest. Sub 41 will do fine.

murphd77 wrote: »
    My ambitions are modest. Sub 41 will do fine.
    All relative. Did it in 41:30ish last year myself but was hoping to bring that down to around 38 mins. Alas ,I must wait now for another 5 mile race later in year.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Can't remember if it is mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but it seems that Marlay Pk will have a parkrun from March 9th.

Lots of hard work put in by a team (including some boardsies) and funding in place from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo has made it possible.

This is indeed good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Can't remember if it is mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but it seems that Marlay Pk will have a parkrun from March 9th.

Lots of hard work put in by a team (including some boardsies) and funding in place from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo has made it possible.

This is indeed good news.
    Not if you live in Laois :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Not if you live in Laois :(

It's not on till march, by then you could probably run over from laois ;)

Advertisement