Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Going to skip Dungarvan & try & get a few miles under the belt at home. Weather permitting, if its ****, I'll get some treadmill work done.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Going to skip Dungarvan & try & get a few miles under the belt at home. Weather permitting, if its ****, I'll get some treadmill work done.

That a pity killian. You will be better for it i'm sure and even more ready for the next day.

Its not great this end. Did a 10 mile run on treadmill on tuesday. I think it did more harm than good. 8 on thursday made it worse. A reasonably fast 6 yesterday and the outside of the right calf is shot to bits. Was going to try a soft 6-8 today but its not looking good.

www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9367892/Trail/searchtext%3EFOAM+ROLLER.htm

This is the foam roller we use - might not be the fancy grid for E40 or E50 but, for the most part anyway, it seems to work for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9367892/Trail/searchtext%3EFOAM+ROLLER.htm

This is the foam roller we use - might not be the fancy grid for E40 or E50 but, for the most part anyway, it seems to work for us.

Thats good value at half price.

another decent item to use is a tennis ball, a little harder to control, but once you get the hang of it, it really works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

does anyone want to give their opinions on 'in-race' nutrition?

Leading up to DCM12, i took gels (High5 Isogel +), primarily because everyone else was. first one after an hour and then every 45 minutes after that. I never really could tell if they worked or not.

After, I've found during training, that I haven't been taking them and while I've been training slower, I don't seem to miss them. over 13m I do get hungry though, so I tend to take a carb bar to kill two birds so to speak.

Has anyone any opinions on it?

also, in a related question, does anyone take a shake for muscle repair / recovery after runs? how long a run / how much effort necessitates this kind of strategy?

Leading up to DCM12, i took gels (High5 Isogel +), primarily because everyone else was. first one after an hour and then every 45 minutes after that. I never really could tell if they worked or not.

After, I've found during training, that I haven't been taking them and while I've been training slower, I don't seem to miss them. over 13m I do get hungry though, so I tend to take a carb bar to kill two birds so to speak.

also, in a related question, does anyone take a shake for muscle repair / recovery after runs? how long a run / how much effort necessitates this kind of strategy?

For Edinburgh I took 2 high5 before, 1 after 1 hour and 5, a half hour apart after that. And I was sick (not literally but nearly).

In Dublin I took 2 - at about 8 or 9m and about 14m. Tried to take another at UCD flyover, because I thought I should rather than because I needed to, but had to spit it out. In training I only used 1 on my 20m, none for 19m.

As regards shakes I got a bag of carbohydrates powder from a guy in work who runs a sports supplement shop on the side. Took them after my long runs but never really felt I was getting any benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I've been thinking about this also. I was taking gels while training for and during DCM but they weren't great on the stomach.

I'm now up to 15 miles LSR in training and so far haven't taken anything at all, not even water. Don't feel the need for it yet. I eat before a run if its over 2 hours, for example I had porridge 2 hours before heading out this morning for 15m, but run on empty for mid week 10 milers.

What I did do for the first time today was have chocolate milk as soon as I came in from my LSR. Boy that tasted good, I'd forgotten about how good it is :D Don't think I'll bother with the shakes.

Not sure what to do when the runs get up to 20m or when racing. I didn't get hungry today but maybe bring a banana or something as the runs get longer. Those carb bars are a good idea too, will have to stock up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'm really interested in answers to this too as I fatigued big time at 20 miles in 2011 and 2012. Took two gels first year and 4 the next year (High 5 Isogels +)plus some sports beans before and during race and half a banana at mile 18 but still slowed down a lot in last 6 miles. Someone told me ( a 3:07 marathoner) to take more gels but I'm not sure that is the only answer. Think it may be down to training methods also..not really sure.

6 miles done @9min pace. Carnage all down my right side but it gets the 30 miles in for the week. More needling required.

On a side note, the roads out my way are in ribbons. We're reaping the rewards of serious rain and half-assed pot hole filling:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

I used to take a gel even on 14miler but not anymore. I would have taken one during half marathon races for what I perceived as aiding the extra effort. But I do not think that it made any discernible difference to performance.

For me water or a sports drink is way more important during the runs.

I take a protein shake after long runs and an electrolyte tablet.

Have a look through this thread in the main forum. I know it says for ultra's but It may be of some help. I found it good anyway.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056861924

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Dilbert75 wrote: »

I've been using same one,well worth the money I find it great on the calf's but really sore first time you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I was advised prior to DCM 12 to take I high 5 gel every 5 miles during marathon up to mile 20 -22 ish, apparently no point after that. Shudnt take as many during training though as u supposedly teaching ur body to use fat as a 2nd source of fuel. I wud have taken 1 gel during high mileage training. Took 1 on my half marathon at mile 6!
    Was also told milk is as good as any for recovery, though during big mileage I'd have taken a high protein bar immediately after finishing to aid muscle repair n then a little later a glass of milk or smoothie made with milk/yogurt.
    Also apparently skimmed milk as slightly more protein in it than full or semi skimmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Ran Raheny five mile today and got a PB by ten mins!!! Granted I am still very slow but thrilled with that. 47 mins odd .still a lot of work to do but improving!!

John Tracey 10m in Dungarvan. Target 72.00, watch time 72.07. Banjaxed! Report and Garmin data later.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Eventually arrived in Dungarvan just before 12.30 with lots of runners running around warming up(even met some out at the 5 mile mark on my way).
    A quick jump out of the car a nice 2.5mile warm-up (with a few strides thrown in),weather conditions practically perfect, no need for compression tops or anything like that.
    Arrived at the start line just after 12.50 where I spotted a boards t-shirt, turned out to be Dilbert75, a quick chat with him before we headed to our starting positions.
    Initially I’d would have been happy with a 1:17:59 finish but training has kinda gone well over the last few weeks so was hoping for around 1:15ish but after picking up a heavy cold during the week felt that target would be a bit too much for me. The target instead was start off behind the 1:15pacers & see how I’d go.
    After the first mile around the town we headed out the Youghal road, Dilbert75 & career_move just ahead of me, the pacers had started out at a pretty quick pace. Just before the 3 mile mark Dilbert75 & career_move upped the ace & headed off into the distance.
    While I never caught up with the pacers they were nearly always in my line of vision most of the way through so I knew that so I knew that I was doing pretty ok.
    Caught up with career_move again around 7 miles, her recent illness obviously has taken a lot out of her. With the help of a local athlete pushed on for a good half mile where the pace at one stage(according to Garmin) was 6:53,really alien to my body.
    Then I hit the slowest mile of the day for me between 8&9, 8:07 but pushed on again for the last mile with an average pace of 7:44 & surprisingly felt ok at this pace after 9 miles (those midweek sessions must be paying off) to finish officially in 1:16:08 (Garmin had 1:16:04).
    Overall a 3min 21sec improvement on my last 10miler so a PB to start my racing year off.
    Dilbert75 was waiting after the finish, closely followed by blockic & gavlor to see how their other boardsies got on.
    Once we got our goody bags it was a quick dash (slow jog) back to car as I had to head straight home as Mrs docjewel was heading back to work.
    Overall a good & productive day out despite this cold/stuffed up head that I have & was really pleased with my finish time.
    Maybe & just maybe a sub 3:30 marathon finish may in the offing in the not too distant future.

||1 Mile|2 Mile|3 Mile|4 Mile|5 Mile|6Mile|7 Mile|8 Mile|9 Mile|10 Mile|
    |Pace|7:11|7:22|7:26|7:39|7:39|7:36|7:44|7:39|8:07|7:44|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Arrived in dungarvan at about 11.40 today as one of the lads had to collect his number. As we were driving thru, we spotted this lunatic woman running/warming up around the centre. Mad, crazy and ah she's just out for a Sunday morning run were some of the comments passed. I'll come back to that story.

So anyway after a cup of coffee and a sit down chat for 45 mins we headed to start line. Did a decent warm up and had arranged to meet blockic at 6.30 pacers so I went in behind them and bumped in dilbert, blockic and low and behold the mystery warm up girl... Our very own career_move :)

A feed of beer on Friday night meant I decided to target sub 65 instead of sub 60. Off we went, start was tight, a lot of slower runners up the front.. Why do they do it??! I have to say that the mileage is really working for blockic, he was cruising. That man has a sub 3 marathon in him, no doubt about that. Blockic and i stayed with the pacers until mile 7 where i pushed on at the start of the downhill.

I turned onto main road at mile 8 turned around and saw terminator 2 aka blockic motoring up behind me. We pushed home and crossed the line for 63 minutes clock time.
    Splits: 6.13; 6.25; 6.20; 6.21; 6.41; 6.29; 6.17; 6.13; 6.14; 5.45

Avg hr 163

Great to put a name and a face to the boardsies of docjewel, dilbert, blockic and cm

Edit: tried one of those honey gels for first time today... Let's just say I won't be trying it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Did hell&back today. We were the last wave. With the recent weather and thousands going out before us the whole course was a mud bath! Great at times but a killer at others. Was great to experience a different kind of event. My knees are torn up from the crawling under barbed wire in mud and stones! The cold of the river was hard to cope with! And the aftermath was like torture, but dry clothes and hot tea was so welcomed 😻 took a lot longer than I'd imagined 1:58:07 and I feel like I ran a decent race. I'd say the June and oct events will be less painful, the cold was harsh but otherwise a brilliant event and well organised

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I've only taken 2 gels since DCM12 & they were on 2 runs over 13 miles,being honest I dont know if they do anything for me on the running front besides upsetting my stomach. I have tried jelly beans & different types of nutri/power bars ie choclate, citrus flavour etc plus I've gone to putting some of the hi 5 carb drink into my water bottles as opposed to just water.I find that on the longer runs I cant really eat too much before I start as it makes me feel sick & then I'm starving 10 miles in which in turn makes me feel sick from not eating - its a catch 22 situation for me so I'm trying everything at the moment to get a good balance between both.I've taken those yazoo drinks after the runs as well to try & fill myself up a bit quicker but at ths stage I've tried everything from bananas, grapes, milk anything to stop this sick feeling.The last few miles of DCM12 was a disaster as I felt as sick as a dog & I know that it was more from not eating than anything else & i was too sick in my stomach at that stage to eat anything.

I'd be interested also to know what other people do -if they had someone with a pasta stall at halfway he'd make a fortune:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

tang1 wrote: »
    Was real struggle to find motivation this evening to keep this consecutive days running going. Then just after half 9 i heard the tragic news that a colleague had been shot dead in Dundalk doing his job. Probably the saddest 6 & a bit miles i've ran since i took it up. Be thankful we all can run cause you dont know whats around the corner. Best of luck to all running this weekend, give her holly.

An absolutely shocking thing to do to another human being. How do these people sleep at night after doing something like that.Its a tough enough world out there without these scumbags making it worse.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great racing today guys! Well done to all.

Missed my 14 lsr this morning due to a slight over indulgence of wine last night :( bold, bold, bold. Starting my 18 P&D next week for Cork, so there'll be no more of that carry on! Focus, focus, focus is the name of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Ran Raheny 5mile today..35:01. Almost bailed on it due to a late night Friday night and awful weather just before the race but my dam conscience got the better of me!

Happy with my time as I've never raced that distance before and had no idea about pacing (bought a garmin online yesterday..long overdue and badly needed!) and when to push on etc.

Once again Menos "pain" advice came into play..thought my lungs had burst over the last 400m..couldn't seem to get any air into them at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

For what its worth I find a good decent dinner the evening before a LSR followed by maybe a cup of tea & toasted wholemeal bread before bedtime keeps the hunger pangs at bay especially during early morning lSRs.
    If the LSR is a bit later in the morning a good bowl of porridge works wonders.
    After a LSR a glass of milk & a fruit salad helps me with my recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Raheny 5 mile.

The target was sub-41mins; the plan was to shoot for 40 and try to hang on.

The training has been going well lately (thanks for the sessions, meno) so I was pretty confident that 40m was achievable. Was doing the race with a friend, P, who was looking at roughly the same time so we decided to stick with each other at 5min/k (8m/mile) pace and see how we got on. This is a popular race and the start, with all the people and narrowish roads, felt pretty slow. But as we got to the 1 mile mark on Howth Rd. we had made most of it back and were only a few seconds behind schedule. Having said that, I was already feeling the pace, which was much more challenging than usual. The start of this race feels flat-to-downhill, but I was surprised to look at the Garmin data and see the first mile is an uphill drag. But Sybill Hill road is definitely downhill (and downwind today) so by the time we got to the second mile marker in 15:43 we had more than made up for the slow start. I was beginning to regret the birthday celebrations from the night before, with rich food and a few drinks. P was looking and feeling good though - well able to converse despite my monosyllabic replies. I apologised for letting him do all the work, but he didn't seem to mind, and I just hung on to him during mile 3, fast again (for me) at 7:28.

We hit the seafront before 26 minutes and I was really afraid of blowing up at this point, so after another few minutes I told P (who had been very sporting by not leaving me behind) to push on, and I took a little bit of a breather going up the hill on Watermill Road. Through the 4 mile mark in 30:45, I started to feel a little better as the grade got a little flatter, although I knew the finish was uphill pretty much all the way. Turning left back onto All Saints Road again, the sun was low and straight in the eyes so I just looked at the ground and started counting down to the finish which couldn't be that far away now. As always, the last few hundred meters seemed to drag on forever but at last I was rounding the corner into the final straight, and finished with what I hope was a smile on my face at an unofficial 38:39.

Hooked up with P who had gone done 37:30 or so - maybe I did him a favour conserving his energy for the tough uphill finish over the last mile and a bit! Fair play to him, and there's no doubt his pacemaking got me through the race - a revelation really, as I have become used to running alone.

Organisation was top notch throughout the day and all over the course. Very enjoyable race and the heaviest goody bag I've picked up yet (I still haven't examined the contents but it's too heavy to all be good).

Target: 40:59
    Time (unofficial): 38:39
    Splits: 8:07 / 7:36 / 7:28 / 7:34 / 7:54

Verdict: This race was da business in all respects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Ran Raheny 5 mile today. Goal time anything sub 37 came in at 36:18.

Race report is here

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Alanm

Did hell&back today. We were the last wave. With the recent weather and thousands going out before us the whole course was a mud bath! Great at times but a killer at others. Was great to experience a different kind of event. My knees are torn up from the crawling under barbed wire in mud and stones! The cold of the river was hard to cope with! And the aftermath was like torture, but dry clothes and hot tea was so welcomed 😻 took a lot longer than I'd imagined 1:58:07 and I feel like I ran a decent race. I'd say the June and oct events will be less painful, the cold was harsh but otherwise a brilliant event and well organised

Did this as well Stephen and i agree with you, great race but really tough! We were in the first wave and the course was already pretty cut up, I'd imagine it got worse as the day went on (you probably had hailstones/rain too?) I finished in 1:28 or so - was a whole pile tougher than the last one I did back in 2011

In absolute bits today, everything aches/lots of bruises and little cuts!

I'm one of the less frequent posters, will try to do less lurking and more posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

tang1 wrote: »
    Was real struggle to find motivation this evening to keep this consecutive days running going. Then just after half 9 i heard the tragic news that a colleague had been shot dead in Dundalk doing his job. Probably the saddest 6 & a bit miles i've ran since i took it up. Be thankful we all can run cause you don't know whats around the corner. Best of luck to all running this weekend, give her holly.

Senesless taking of life, my thoughts & prayers are with his wife and kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great racing everyone this weekend. Some super performances are being put in to show all the work is paying off. Thanks to meno for continuing to guide us along the correct path.

Had a good run myself so things are ticking along nicely!
    Gavlor wrote: »
    As we were driving thru, we spotted this lunatic woman running/warming up around the centre. Mad, crazy and ah she's just out for a Sunday morning run were some of the comments passed.

This makes a bit more sense now that she thought the race was 12 and not 1!
    I have to say that the mileage is really working for blockic, he was cruising. That man has a sub 3 marathon in him, no doubt about that.

C'mere, stop distracting people from the fact that you cruised along to a 63min yourself!! You were on automatic! You will break 60 handy when you don't have a feed of beer in ya and there is no gale force wind!! :)
    Edit: tried one of those honey gels for first time today... Let's just say I won't be trying it again!

What you didn't mention is that you didn't take water with it!!! :rolleyes: Give them one more chance with water this time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Interesting all the talk of gels etc, was just thinking about this myself last week. I haven’t taken a gel since DCM, that said, my longest run since DCM has been 13 miles, but I would have taken a gel on any run over 10 miles before DCM. I am going to try and take less gels and also do some medium runs with little or no food to try and increase my fat burning rather than relying on glycogen. Will still take gels for the runs over 16/17 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

:)
    I have to say that the mileage is really working for blockic, he was cruising. That man has a sub 3 marathon in him, no doubt about that.

blockic wrote: »
    C'mere, stop distracting people from the fact that you cruised along to a 63min yourself!! You were on automatic!

Jees guys, get a room..... :D

Advertisement