Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

does anyone want to give their opinions on 'in-race' nutrition?

Leading up to DCM12, i took gels (High5 Isogel +), primarily because everyone else was. first one after an hour and then every 45 minutes after that. I never really could tell if they worked or not.

After, I've found during training, that I haven't been taking them and while I've been training slower, I don't seem to miss them. over 13m I do get hungry though, so I tend to take a carb bar to kill two birds so to speak.

Has anyone any opinions on it?

also, in a related question, does anyone take a shake for muscle repair / recovery after runs? how long a run / how much effort necessitates this kind of strategy?

I took about six gels during DCM12...and all the sweets that folks were handing out from the sidelines :)

I was using the High5 gels, but in hindsight I was lucky not to feel sick as on other occasions they have made my stomach temporarily upset just moments after taking them.

In training I bring a just-in-case gel out for runs over about 15 miles. I also carry those little boxes of kids raisins and find they are good to eat during long runs. I also cut jelly snakes in half for a treat every mile or so, but I'm planning to cut that out/down in future.

For races over 10 miles I'll still be planning to use gels.

Post run I like chocolate milk and maybe some natural yoghurt with honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Well done everyone on the weekend racing, I was reading about your exploits with joy last night! It's great to see people hitting pbs and also to see the miles rack up in the spreadsheet...it'd be interesting to compare mileage now versus this time last year.

There was recently some talk of heart rate training on here. Just to mention that I listened to this podcast interview with Phil Maffetone yesterday during my long run and found it very interesting as it discusses heart rate training (of which he is something of a founder) and touches on nutrition too...well worth a listen.

http://trailrunnernation.com/2013/01/dr-phil-maffetone-speed-up-by-slowing-down/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Is it just me going blind or is Meno turning us loose this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Is it just me going blind or is Meno turning us loose this week?

Haha, I was just testing the waters to see who was still following the plan :D

I think pretty much everyone raced this weekend so the norm is to have an easy week after a race week. All easy runs this week with some strides on wednesday if you like.

How much interest is there in continuing on for the HM/10 mile races at the start of march? It's just that everyone seems to have such different plans and are training for completely different races...

You forgot, didn't you? Fess up!

I'm aiming for Limerick full at start of May - still conflicted between jumping onto a 55m P&D (possibly a mix between the 12 and 18 week plans) or a HHI plan, mainly for the lighter Wednesday. Alternative is to take them as guidelines and make up my own plan, fitting in the Wednesday session with the local club... Decisions, decisions...

• Advertisement

I was on a stag weekend. I'll admit that my head was a little fuzzy last night:p
    I'm aiming for Limerick full at start of May - still conflicted between jumping onto a 55m P&D (possibly a mix between the 12 and 18 week plans) or a HHI plan, mainly for the lighter Wednesday. Alternative is to take them as guidelines and make up my own plan, fitting in the Wednesday session with the local club... Decisions, decisions...

I think a mix sounds very sensible. If you are in a club it is best to do their sessions as they will bring you on more than doing tough runs on your own. OK they might not be exactly as P&D describe but consistency is the most important thing and hopefully the club will provide you with that (no excuses when you go down the club for a session).
    If you keep up the Long Run and PMP miles as P&D describe then you won't go too far wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just about to sign up for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, I was just testing the waters to see who was still following the plan :D

I think pretty much everyone raced this weekend so the norm is to have an easy week after a race week. All easy runs this week with some strides on wednesday if you like.

How much interest is there in continuing on for the HM/10 mile races at the start of march? It's just that everyone seems to have such different plans and are training for completely different races...

Doing Meath HM in March and have signed up for Limerick marathon in May as my main goal, so i would still like some structure if possible!

Doing Meath HM in March and have signed up for Limerick marathon in May as my main goal, so i would still like some structure if possible!

Ok cool!!
    The problem with the marathon being the main goal is that a half marathon programme for Meath would concentrate on that being the Goal whereas you should be gearing up primarily for the marathon concentrating on LSR's and PMP miles etc...however if you raced on Sunday you probably won't be in a position to do a session until the weekend so the plan would look something like this:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |4 mile recovery|rest/cross|6 miles easy with strides|4 miles easy|5m easy (strides optional)|rest/cross|LSR 14 miles including 4 miles at PMP

For those that didn't race at the weekend the Monday recovery run can be swapped till Thursday and maybe try 2 x 2 miles at HMP on Wednesday as the 'session'. This would extend the Wednesday run to 7-9 miles (1/2 mile easy warmup, 2 miles HMP, 1 mile easy, 2 miles HMP, 2 miles easy cool down.)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

My main goal is full marathon in derry on 2nd June with omagh half on march 30th, however got roped in to do XC national championship on Sunday coming, dreading it as never had a pair of spikes on in my life! Then doing a 5k race again the following Sunday so this pretty much rules out my LSR for next couple weeks which is frustrating at moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

My runners are like two sods of turf after hell&back! Not even dry yet. I'm off to give them a shower with rubber gloves and a toothbrush! Any other ideas? (Not the dish washer). I broke the washing machine already with my muddy/stoney clothes and towel ... I'm supposed to start marathon training tomorrow 😮

My runners are like two sods of turf after hell&back! Not even dry yet. I'm off to give them a shower with rubber gloves and a toothbrush! Any other ideas? (Not the dish washer). I broke the washing machine already with my muddy/stoney clothes and towel ... I'm supposed to start marathon training tomorrow 😮
    Job done - I underestimated my power shower!

Job done - I underestimated my power shower!

You wore your marathon runners for Hell and Back? Lesson learned? :)

You wore your marathon runners for Hell and Back? Lesson learned? :)
    Ha ha very much so! I gave all my old pairs to my brother two weeks ago... It was either wear my marathon runners or my work shoes ! Ill need a new pair before cork so no panic

Just spotted a 10k in garristown on 3rd march... Might enter, does it interest anyone else? €15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just spotted a 10k in garristown on 3rd march... Might enter, does it interest anyone else? €15

Its same day as Bohermeen Half Ste, good few from here doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

menoscemo wrote:
    Haha, I was just testing the waters to see who was still following the plan

Me too please! Am doing HM early March and HM in Limerick - leading up to training for DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Am registered for Hm in balbriggan on 17th. There's a 10k option that day too.

RedRunner wrote: »

Am registered for Hm in balbriggan on 17th. There's a 10k option that day too.

Yea. I was gonna do that half! Just looking at the route, kinda hilly?!

For my Dungarvan 10m race report I'm going to shamelessly redirect you all to my spandangly new training log...

• Advertisement

Yea. I was gonna do that half! Just looking at the route, kinda hilly?!

Certainly not flat. I think 'undulating' was the term used in a description of course. So there'll be as many downhills as up . Think I might run it beforehand though just to see what it is like. My Mam doesn't live too far from it so will drop down some weekend beforehand for a long runand remind myself of the roads. I'm from the area orgininally which is why I'd like to do it. Having said that I'll now have to cram in my training into 6 weeks after being out with a slipped disc. I won't be going out to take a chunk off PB or anything but I need a goal race now after missing out on Raheny 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

P&D mid week session just done, 9m with 4 at HM pace. Wasn't sure what this pace is but just ran the 4 miles reasonably hard. Found this really hard to be honest and it has me questioning my fitness and if I'm actually making any progress. The splits for the 4 miles were 8.36, 8.23, 8.32, 8.33. I normally run at a 9.30 - 10min pace. I'm sure I'm the slowest runner on this thread ,you guys are machines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »
    P&D mid week session just done, 9m with 4 at HM pace. Wasn't sure what this pace is but just ran the 4 miles reasonably hard. Found this really hard to be honest and it has me questioning my fitness and if I'm actually making any progress. The splits for the 4 miles were 8.36, 8.23, 8.32, 8.33. I normally run at a 9.30 - 10min pace. I'm sure I'm the slowest runner on this thread ,you guys are machines ;)
    8.30 min pace when u normally run at 10 for ur easy runs is very good, well done u!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

That's good running based on your easy pace, if you keep those sessions up you will see good improvements (in my humble lack of real knowledge opinion!!)

Don't worry, you're not the slowest. I'm signed up for HM on Patricks day and I'll be aiming for 8:25-8:30 pace for that one, so meet your brother:) If I can manage that I'll take 5-6mins off my PB. I generally do my easy runs 9-00 to 9.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice running - I reckon that if that's your half-marathon pace, your expected marathon time is about 3:55 then? Nothing slow about that, and you're in good company.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Certainly not flat. I think 'undulating' was the term used in a description of course. So there'll be as many downhills as up . Think I might run it beforehand though just to see what it is like. My Mam doesn't live too far from it so will drop down some weekend beforehand for a long runand remind myself of the roads. I'm from the area orgininally which is why I'd like to do it. Having said that I'll now have to cram in my training into 6 weeks after being out with a slipped disc. I won't be going out to take a chunk off PB or anything but I need a goal race now after missing out on Raheny 5.

Yea great Idea I think I'll do the same beforehand. I used to walk the dogs on this route years ago.. plenty of flowing up & down & windy roads. My Dad lives out there too. take it easy after a slipped disc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

murphd77 wrote: »
    Nice running - I reckon that if that's your half-marathon pace, your expected marathon time is about 3:55 then? Nothing slow about that, and you're in good company.

Cheers Murph not sure if I could keep that pace for a half though, that's what worries me. I suppose I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes.

3.55 for a full marathon :eek: That's the stuff of dreams at this stage...I'd be happy with 4.05 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I can assure you that you are not the slowest here......that would be me!
    Although it is starting to get a bit intimidating round here with all these speedsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm a 9.30 to 10 'easy pace' kind of guy as well!

Advertisement