Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

8miles in the bag. 10min mile pace. No sign of illness or chest infection. Hope to get out again tomorrow to bring the mileage up for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

One step forward two steps back on my grand comeback, this was to be my first week with four runs, got Tues and Wed in and then caught some bloomin bug, took to the bed Thurs & Fri and still a crock today, feck it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Magnificent day for a run... so I went cycling instead - 25k to test out the new bike. Whole new set of etiquette rules to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

18 mile LSR done, 8.45 pace, went grand but pretty much written off now, could eat a horse. Going out for dinner tonight though, gonna ring ahead to warn the restaurant to be ready for me, they're gonna see something pretty special tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

As everyone else has said, smashing day for a run. 12 miles for me @ 9:07 pace. Legs felt very sluggish at some stages, don't know why as I haven't had a particularly tough week, had eaten a few hours before I went out so not sure what happened. There were a couple I'd pretty tight hills and overall the run was grand so not going to worry about it.

Some great running done this weekend by everyone, isn't it so much easier when the sun is shining!

• Advertisement

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    One step forward two steps back on my grand comeback, this was to be my first week with four runs, got Tues and Wed in and then caught some bloomin bug, took to the bed Thurs & Fri and still a crock today, feck it anyway!

Take it easy, took me nearly 2 weeks to get over my manflu, better to get well & run again than make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

13.8 miles LSR done today at 9.44 pace - like everyone said, great day for run

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

could eat a horse. Going out for dinner tonight though, gonna ring ahead to warn the restaurant to be ready for me, they're gonna see something pretty special tonight!

You might find it hard to get the horse on the menu at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

13 miles done @ 7.11 mpm......

Is what I would be posting if I wasn't dying with a hangover :(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Deedee I feel your pain!
    Take it easy, took me nearly 2 weeks to get over my manflu, better to get well & run again than make it worse.

Sound advice Killian but it's so frustrating!
    Last week 28m this week 3m and a F@<ki#g virus, chest knackered can't exercise, worst of all I'm supposed to be losing lbs but instead I'm sitting around eating crap!

What do you think about the Dr's outburst on OT, was she losing it like that off camera during your stint? Or are you backing the 'HTFU' style tough love?

BTW I've made a semi public commitment to losing 1 stone short term(by end May) and 2 st LT, weighed in this week 14-81/2, exercising or not MUST reduce carbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

coalshed wrote: »
    Well done everyone on the weekend racing, I was reading about your exploits with joy last night! It's great to see people hitting pbs and also to see the miles rack up in the spreadsheet...it'd be interesting to compare mileage now versus this time last year.

There was recently some talk of heart rate training on here. Just to mention that I listened to this podcast interview with Phil Maffetone yesterday during my long run and found it very interesting as it discusses heart rate training (of which he is something of a founder) and touches on nutrition too...well worth a listen.

http://trailrunnernation.com/2013/01/dr-phil-maffetone-speed-up-by-slowing-down/

Listened to this on my 17 miles this morning and thought it was fantastic. Lots of new perspective and the realisation that I have to start training with a heart rate monitor. That guy makes a lot of sense.

I don't know if it was listening to something or the better weather or just maybe me getting fitter but 17 miles this morning at 9.30min pace and I felt I had loads left in the tank at the end. This rounds off the end of P&D week 5 so 46 miles clocked up this week, most ever for me and feels great :D A sneaky wee step back week ahead too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Completed week one of HHI2 this morning with 16k. Not as nice a morning in Dublin as yesterday with quite a fresh breeze along the coast. Good run though. Not being in the pub at all this weekend no doubt helps with that.

Runchick wrote: »
    Listened to this on my 17 miles this morning and thought it was fantastic. Lots of new perspective and the realisation that I have to start training with a heart rate monitor. That guy makes a lot of sense.

I don't know if it was listening to something or the better weather or just maybe me getting fitter but 17 miles this morning at 9.30min pace and I felt I had loads left in the tank at the end. This rounds off the end of P&D week 5 so 46 miles clocked up this week, most ever for me and feels great :D A sneaky wee step back week ahead too :p
    How are you finding P&D Runchick? I'm only on week 1 so obviously it's ok so far, but I think it was Blockic that said he was quite tired from it.

ncmc wrote: »
    How are you finding P&D Runchick? I'm only on week 1 so obviously it's ok so far, but I think it was Blockic that said he was quite tired from it.

I absolutely love P&D :D Yes it was definitely more tiring at first but I can really feel myself getting used to it. The long mid week run was tiring the first few times but I was quite surprised this week how I didn't really feel tired from it, dare I say I actually feel more energetic. I try to follow the same days as in the book and find that I really do need the rest days when they come around. I try not to look too many weeks ahead though, that just scares the hell out of me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I absolutely love P&D :D Yes it was definitely more tiring at first but I can really feel myself getting used to it. The long mid week run was tiring the first few times but I was quite surprised this week how I didn't really feel tired from it, dare I say I actually feel more energetic. I try to follow the same days as in the book and find that I really do need the rest days when they come around. I try not to look too many weeks ahead though, that just scares the hell out of me :eek:

+1 Agree with all of the above (well not loving P&D but I'll go as far as to say i like it!! :)) particularly the mid week runs. I'm getting used to those now but rest days are well earned!!! I find I need alot more sleep with P&D compared to HH.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Got a 16miler LSR out of the way this morning.Wasn't really fueled up properly for this (no proper dinner last night & no breakfast this morning).
    I have a habit during these runs of heading out too fast & not being able to pick up the pace a little during the last few miles,so I tried to keep the first 10 miles or so at around 9:00/9:10 pace & pick it up for the the last few miles.
    Was struggling to pick up the pace with 4 miles left when I noticed another runner going through a crossroads that I was turning off.
    New target,catch that runner!
    He went through the crossroads approx 45secs ahead of me & seemed to be moving at a steady pace,except this part of the road was uphill.Well if its uphill for me its also uphill for him so off I set in chase of this mystery runner.Reset the splits on the garmin 1st mile covered in 8:09,2nd mile covered in 8:05,caught up with said runner at this stage a brief hello but found it hard to slow down at this stage & covered the next mile in 7:54 (slight downhill heading towards the local river),took the last mile slow heading back home (9:45).
    It was good to find out even after 12 miles of slow running that close to 8min miles can be achieved although I wouldn't have done that only for chasing down the other runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Seeing as there is a fair bit of interest in the Meath HM, this is the plan for those still following:
    |Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |4/ 5 miles easy w strides|rest/cross|session*|3 miles recovery|5m easy (strides optional)|rest/cross|LSR 15 miles

This weeks session is to get you used to running at Planned HM pace.
    1 mile warm up followed by 4 x 2mile @ Goal pace (3 minute jog recoveries), 1 mile cool down.
    If you are feeling very fresh by Sunday you could do the LSR like Docjewel i.e. start off very slowly and try to pick it up to MP (but no faster than MP) over the last 5 miles.

Well that's good to know that you and Blockic are both enjoying it (in a masochistic kind of way!) I am the same regarding not looking ahead, am literally only looking at this week and the week after, seems so much less daunting that way!

I definitely intend to enjoy the rest days, I was never one for running every day, 5 times a week is plenty thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Runchick, Blockic & Ncmc - are you all doing P&D 12 week 55 miles?

I'm at the end of my third week of it, happy so far to have hit all the runs but wiped out this evening after 16 miles with 10 at Marathon Pace...I got through it but feel like I ran a race now. Roll on next week's 'easy' 17 miles :)

I'll sleep well tonight...just after this last glass of wine.

I'm at the end of my third week of it, happy so far to have hit all the runs but wiped out this evening after 16 miles with 10 at Marathon Pace...I got through it but feel like I ran a race now. Roll on next week's 'easy' 17 miles :)

I'm doing the 18 weeks 55 mile plan (for Cork marathon) I've only done one week so I'm a newbie to it... Not looking forward to next weeks lsr with 8 miles at pmp... Eek, that's gonna be tough!

Enjoy your wine, it's a nice reward isn't it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'm doing the 18 weeks 55 mile plan (for Cork marathon) I've only done one week so I'm a newbie to it... Not looking forward to next weeks lsr with 8 miles at pmp... Eek, that's gonna be tough!

That's the one I think I'll do for DCM13 so I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that. A lot of people seemed to get good results from P&D last year.

Walkedit wrote: »

What do you think about the Dr's outburst on OT, was she losing it like that off camera during your stint? Or are you backing the 'HTFU' style tough love?

I think the message was right, but the method of delivery was wrong. The leader in question strikes me as needing a bit of a kick up the arse & Eva is always available to do it.

We had one similar episode which lasted at least 20 minutes but only got 30seconds on screen, I'd say last week was similar.

The show was edited exactly the way they wanted it & I find it hard to believe that he producers didn't know that they would create a stir, I have a feeling they have let Eva knowingly carry the can. It has had the desired effect, it's getting a lot of publicity, perhaps ratings are poor & they need a boost.

Eva needs to be careful though, she trades on the tough image & it's beginning to bite her back. Bullying is a hot topic at the moment & it's not something you want to be associated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I watched it as well and the first thing that struck me was that they're making a tv show - if it isn't controversial it won't be successful. Think X-factor but with people's health instead of talent. Hopefully it won't go any further down the controversy road though, cos a lot of people get a lot of inspiration from the show and it'd be an awful pity to take from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm doing the 18 week one too but I have tailored it as I only had 15 weeks before the marathon! :cool:

On week 5 of 15.

I find the midweek lactate threshold runs harder than the long runs with the PMP miles at the end. Done 17m there last weekend with 10 at PMP and didn't find it too bad.

That said, the plan is tough but managable if you fully commit to it.

How you set for Paris?

blockic wrote: »
    I'm doing the 18 week one too but I have tailored it as I only had 15 weeks before the marathon! :cool:

On week 5 of 15.

I find the midweek lactate threshold runs harder than the long runs with the PMP miles at the end. Done 17m there last weekend with 10 at PMP and didn't find it too bad.

That said, the plan is tough but managable if you fully commit to it.

How you set for Paris?

Hard to tell at this point, I'm not sure that I'm making any progress, and judging by today there's no way I'd be able to run 7'40's for 26 miles so I may need to revise my (ambitious) target.

The 12 week aspect is kinda nice though as it doesn't feel like its going to go on for ever...the weeks are ticking by, although I guess April will come around all too soon on the other hand.

All in all I'm enjoying the plan and I like the structure. I have the schedule printed out and schtuk up in the kitchen so it's nice to tick the days off.

Will be interested to see how the 18 week plan works out for everyone.
    Brilliantly I hope!!!

I found the pmp a bit of a shock today after so much slow running but eased into it after the first mile. (which I now see was dead wrong as I shouldn't have got up to pmp until the sixth mile)

The 12 week plan only has 3 long runs with marathon pace miles mixed in, and yours has 4. I see the book says they are "great confidence builders" so give it a shot and get ready to feel the power within you!

Yes, the wine, crisps, pasta and pesto were all nice treats...come on, that run burnt 1600 calories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

This is prob a stupid question but why can I not get the week 6 up on my spreadsheet ? I have to move across obviously but how do I do that? Maybe it's coz I'm doing it on my phone?

18 week plan for me, for the Limerick Marathon. Enjoying it so far, but the intensity will pick up a fair bit in a few weeks so I'm sure I'll be exhausted by then :rolleyes:

New runner wrote: »
    This is prob a stupid question but why can I not get the week 6 up on my spreadsheet ? I have to move across obviously but how do I do that? Maybe it's coz I'm doing it on my phone?

Not sure about how to do it on your phone but week 6 is definitely there, hope you get sorted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

New runner wrote: »

If its an android phone your using with the Google drive app just scroll along the tabs on the bottom,it may take a few seconds for some of the tabs to load.

Advertisement