Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

docjewel wrote: »

If its an android phone your using with the Google drive app just scroll along the tabs on the bottom,it may take a few seconds for some of the tabs to load.
    Thanks , it's the iphone , this is what it looks like and doesn't seem to move along at all! Grrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Well after being out for about 6 weeks I went for a 3 mile walk on Saturday and a 5 mile walk on Sunday and had no pain the next day so decided to do 3.5 km run on Monday evening. I'll see how I feel on Tuesday and might try another 20 min run/jog.
    Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

rasher_m wrote: »
    Well after being out for about 6 weeks I went for a 3 mile walk on Saturday and a 5 mile walk on Sunday and had no pain the next day so decided to do 3.5 km run on Monday evening. I'll see how I feel on Tuesday and might try another 20 min run/jog.
    Fingers crossed!

Great to hear you're back rasher :)

Had the running gear already on when I noticed the 3 inches of snow outside at 6am so headed out anyway. Was good fun in the end, fresh snow not at all slippy like it might be once all trampled on. Another win for early morning running :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Runchick wrote: »
    Had the running gear already on when I noticed the 3 inches of snow outside at 6am so headed out anyway. Was good fun in the end, fresh snow not at all slippy like it might be once all trampled on. Another win for early morning running :p:p

Jeez, thats a bit nuts. I'm a confirmed morning person, but 6am & in the snow. I dont know which is worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That's not even funny

Omg that's dedication! Neither 6am or running in snow even slightly appeals to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Looks like the sheet is a bit messed up since this morning.. Might need to roll it back to yesterdays version.

Anyone who entered data yesterday and today might need to re-enter it!

Edit: Rolled back now, a few people were deleted from this weeks sheet to had to revert it back. Sorry in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

New runner wrote: »
    Thanks , it's the iphone , this is what it looks like and doesn't seem to move along at all! Grrr!

Download google drive for the iPhone :)

blockic wrote: »
    Looks like the sheet is a bit messed up since this morning.. Might need to roll it back to yesterdays version.

Anyone who entered data yesterday and today might need to re-enter it!

Edit: Rolled back now, a few people were deleted from this weeks sheet to had to revert it back. Sorry in advance!!

Damn it, I had 68 miles logged for the week but can't remember the dates

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's not even funny

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

rom wrote: »

Download google drive for the iPhone :)
    Thank u! Got it , cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

7.8m done, flew out to Howth and the wind hammered me all the way home! 10x100m strides included as per p&d!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fingers crossed!

Thought I was bad being out for 3 weeks, 6 weeks would drive me mental! Really hope you you recover well and soon. You've been pointed out to me at races before by other boardsies but haven't had the pleasure of an introduction yet. Good luck with your recovery.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Thought I was bad being out for 3 weeks, 6 weeks would drive me mental! Really hope you you recover well and soon. You've been pointed out to me at races before by other boardsies but haven't had the pleasure of an introduction yet. Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks RedRunner, yeah I was really browned off alright so hoping that I am fully recovered now just for my sanity. You should come over if you spot me again, would love the chat :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

10miles done at half 12 tonight along the Coast Rd towards Howth. It was bitter out, coming back in towards Clontarf was tough back into the wind. Running a 10km on Sunday so no quick miles this week until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Thanks RedRunner, yeah I was really browned off alright so hoping that I am fully recovered now just for my sanity. You should come over if you spot me again, would love the chat :).

Glad to hear your getting back, are you going to come Parkrun on Sat?

Walkedit wrote: »
    Glad to hear your getting back, are you going to come Parkrun on Sat?

Thanks Walkedit, I was actually thinking about doing it last night. I ran 5k yesterday but it will be only a training run if I do it.
    How are you getting on, are you running it or volunteerting?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Ok,so I did attempted Meno's midweek session this morning.Had initially planned to do it on Tue,rest today & do the LSR on Thurs(won't have time at the weekend for it).
    It was a really windy morning down here and did not hit my target times once:(,first 2 speed sessions I was about 15secs off target time but the 3rd speed session was a disaster,uphill & the wind completely in my face,45 secs off target time,tried to reign in the time on the last session but could only get within 10 secs of target time.
    So a rough morning in the running office,disappointed with the times but felt I put in as much effort as possible.

Ok,so I did attempted Meno's midweek session this morning.Had initially planned to do it on Tue,rest today & do the LSR on Thurs(won't have time at the weekend for it).
    It was a really windy morning down here and did not hit my target times once:(,first 2 speed sessions I was about 15secs off target time but the 3rd speed session was a disaster,uphill & the wind completely in my face,45 secs off target time,tried to reign in the time on the last session but could only get within 10 secs of target time.
    So a rough morning in the running office,disappointed with the times but felt I put in as much effort as possible.

You can't ask for more than 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Effort is the main thing. As long as you felt like you were running at HM effort you will get the right stimulus from the training and hopefully your pace at the effort will increase.

As an aside there was a discussion about this on the main board recently and the main consensus was that Tempo runs should generally not be attempted on hilly surfaces or in windy conditions (hard I know :rolleyes:). On an Uphill you can't hold your pace and attempting to do so will put effort levels too high and compromise the later reps. Always try to do these kind of runs on a flat and covered (windless) area as possible. (I find that parks are good because even on a very windy day tree over shelters you from the wind).
    I always try to plan out my routes as best as possible and get the uphill/into the wind sections out of the way during warm up/cool downs and/or during recovery sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Seriously Doc, even going out for a run in that weather deserves Kudos, never mind going out to do a tempo run! I was out in it last night and in some parts it felt like a hand was pushing me back while I was running in to the wind and rain! Don’t beat yourself up over a few seconds, as Meno said, the effort was there, the results will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Gavlor wrote: »
    You can't ask for more than 100%
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Effort is the main thing. As long as you felt like you were running at HM effort you will get the right stimulus from the training and hopefully your pace at the effort will increase.

As an aside there was a discussion about this on the main board recently and the main consensus was that Tempo runs should generally not be attempted on hilly surfaces or in windy conditions (hard I know :rolleyes:). On an Uphill you can't hold your pace and attempting to do so will put effort levels too high and compromise the later reps. Always try to do these kind of runs on a flat and covered (windless) area as possible. (I find that parks are good because even on a very windy day tree over shelters you from the wind).
    I always try to plan out my routes as best as possible and get the uphill/into the wind sections out of the way during warm up/cool downs and/or during recovery sections.
    ncmc wrote: »
    Seriously Doc, even going out for a run in that weather deserves Kudos, never mind going out to do a tempo run! I was out in it last night and in some parts it felt like a hand was pushing me back while I was running in to the wind and rain! Don’t beat yourself up over a few seconds, as Meno said, the effort was there, the results will follow.

Seeing as this session was done on the coast/beach it should should really stand to me if its a windy day for the Ballycotton10:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Seeing as this session was done on the coast/beach it should should really stand to me if its a windy day for the Ballycotton10:D

That was a HM session. 3 x 2 miles would have been sufficient for a 10 miler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Thanks Walkedit, I was actually thinking about doing it last night. I ran 5k yesterday but it will be only a training run if I do it.
    How are you getting on, are you running it or volunteerting?

On Vol side, we have a rota and I'm up Sat. I'm having an enforced rest with a chest virus - now on 2nd week, just when I had started to get 1000+ the progress on target

Walkedit wrote: »
    On Vol side, we have a rota and I'm up Sat. I'm having an enforced rest with a chest virus - now on 2nd week, just when I had started to get 1000+ the progress on target

Yeah I was reading about your Virus last week. Hope you feel better soon. You'll be back on track within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Session completed today - got caught in wind couple of times and knocked me back 10/15 secs off target pace but pushed on during hills etc - glad to be on pace 6 out of 8 miles - felt like a good session effort wise - was wrecked afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

6.2k at MP tonight in the Dublin docklands area. Lovely crisp night for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

10 miles this evening, with 5 at half Mar pace. Found it tough but managed to hang on, very tuirseach now. not relishing thought of 11 miles tomorrow either. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good running from everyone today, it was meno's session for me aswell tonight. It went pretty well, felt comfortable with the reps with the last two being my quickest, which surprised me, but i was starting to puff abit by the end. 11 miles in total with warmup, session and cool down. Im wrecked and need a good stretch and foam roll! As said earlier it was a lovely night for a run in Dublin tonight, was doing my reps from the new criminal courts out to Chapelizod and there was basically no real wind which I thank my lucky stars for. The wind can really blow along there was I dreading it from reading some of the conditions everyone else had to deal with but all's well that ends well!

Advertisement