Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

chinguetti wrote: »

Ye know that Meno will expect to be paid in pints after races:p. So speed training is for the pub, not the races:D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey all!!

Great to see such a big uptake on this, I'll be hammered if we get a good group together.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

miguelk wrote: »
    What's your plan training-wise?

I don't think an 18 week plan is necessary, it would mean kicking off before Christmas. I'm going to base build with slow miles (up to 30 m/pw) until the end of the the year and then start a program in the new year. I don't want to be rigid with a plan on Christmas week.

Great, at least we will be at the same stage with training.

I plan (at the moment) to follow meno's plan for the rest of the year and start of Jan, then maybe work out a 12 week plan starting in mid January leading up to the marathon. No idea what that will contain yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Great, at least we will be at the same stage with training.

I plan (at the moment) to follow meno's plan for the rest of the year and start of Jan, then maybe work out a 12 week plan starting in mid January leading up to the marathon. No idea what that will contain yet.

As I said, ideally ye wouldn't be doing a marathon so soon, instead buidling up strength and speed so you can really smash your next marathon. BUT there is probably no need to deviate from our plan. We will be building up the miles and sessions through January and by that stage you will be doing close to peak mileage (on the HH Novice 1 plan) week in week out. This training will be good for April marathoners anyway (90%of 10k/marathon training is the same). Marathoners can simply add a few miles to their long runs each week so that they are doing 15 milers regularly by then.

After January I can simply post a 10k-HM plan and a separate Marathon Plan. We'll have 8 weeks before taper to get ye race fit which will be loads. Obviously it would be easier if all the marathoners were racing the same week :D

As a matter of interest what programme did you follow for DCM and at what weekly mileage did you peak?

After January I can simply post a 10k-HM plan and a separate Marathon Plan. We'll have 8 weeks before taper to get ye race fit which will be loads. Obviously it would be easier if all the marathoners were racing the same week :D

As a matter of interest what programme did you follow for DCM and at what weekly mileage did you peak?

Sounds good meno! Followed HHN2 for DCM but added in an extra mile on most of the LSRs. Peaked at about 37miles :o ..need to up that big time now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sounds good meno! Followed HHN2 for DCM but added in an extra mile on most of the LSRs. Peaked at about 37miles :o ..need to up that big time now!

You'll be surprised how quickly 30-40 mile weeks become easy, I peaked at 35 miles for my first marathon and thought it was all the miles you could fit into a week, now I'm looking at Krusty and his 100+ :eek:

• Advertisement

With your HM speed and a few blocks of 50 mile weeks, you'll tear strips of your PB.

It really is great going to be breaking 3:30 after maxing at 37 miles a week :eek: Pretty annoying for some actually :pac: (mention no names, but I am one of them ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Once he starts beating me in races I'll kick him out of the group. Until then he is welcome.

(that goes for all of you btw :D)
    With your HM speed and a few blocks of 50 mile weeks, you'll tear strips of your PB.

It really is great going to be breaking 3:30 after maxing at 37 miles a week :eek: Pretty annoying for some actually :pac: (mention no names, but I am one of them ;))

Careful now blockic! Whatever you do don't go sub 3hrs!!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You'll be surprised how quickly 30-40 mile weeks become easy, I peaked at 35 miles for my first marathon and thought it was all the miles you could fit into a week, now I'm looking at Krusty and his 100+ :eek:

Very true! Felt like that myself at times recently. 100+ a week! :eek:

Haha, time will tell!! Sure I'll blame the mentor if it all goes wrong! :pac: ;)

Looking forward to the challenge! :cool:

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Careful now blockic! Whatever you do don't go sub 3hrs!!

:eek: No fear of that. Just have my meno monitor on! 3:10ish I believe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Hi Guys,

If you want to cement the camaraderie you've all built up through training can I suggest you meet up for runs through the Winter, not only will you become proper friends but you'll be more inclined to get out there on those icy cold weekend mornings, sprinkle in a few nights out and you've got yourself a little running community.

Group Runs

See ya'll out there.
    Would love to meet up for runs . Maybe when recovery is completed we could start this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

HHN2 / 36m peak for me

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

HHN2 / 36m peak for me

+1. Peaked at 36 miles. Was a little liberal at times with the plan though.

Whatever you've got planned meno...I'm ready...(I think).

HHN2 / 36m peak for me
    upthe19th wrote: »
    +1. Peaked at 36 miles. Was a little liberal at times with the plan though.

Whatever you've got planned meno...I'm ready...(I think).

Ok lads thats good in that there is massive room for improvment, bad in that we don't have as much time as I would like to build up a base for a proper crack at a fast marathon (increased injury risk).

We'll aim to peak at 50 MPW for the April marathoners in Feb/March since you are all pretty much coming off the same mileage. Good stuff.

Blockic, I just had a look at the Spreadsheet and see you have only covered just over 400 miles this year. Have you been running regularly before this year? If not, :eek: in those circumstances you really are looking at sub3 sooner rather than later...Has to be definite talent there....

Blockic, I just had a look at the Spreadsheet and see you have only covered just over 400 miles this year. Have you been running regularly before this year? If not, :eek: in those circumstances you really are looking at sub3 sooner rather than later...Has to be definite talent there....

Started in summer last year (2 irrelevent 10kms on no training in years past before that) , done 2 months non-structured training for the Dingle half, then done 2 more half marathons in the following 4 weeks! mad i know:rolleyes:

Stopped then completely until July where I started HHN2 for DCM. So a bit of running but not regularly.

That's gonna change next year for sure....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

3.2k yesterday, 6.5 today - sluggish yesterday after the layoff post-DCM. Today felt better, went for a 5:20 pace as it was traditional pace run day and I feel I have to step it up for next time (5:20 was my Frank Duffy pace, which I reckon is a good marathon pace for a significant improvement).

You can add me to that list :mad:;) Sub 3:30 broke me!

murphd77 wrote: »
    3.2k yesterday, 6.5 today - sluggish yesterday after the layoff post-DCM. Today felt better, went for a 5:20 pace as it was traditional pace run day and I feel I have to step it up for next time (5:20 was my Frank Duffy pace, which I reckon is a good marathon pace for a significant improvement).

Careful with the pace of the runs. This week all run should be 'easy'...we'll be introdcing fast running as the weeks go on....

Got a HRM in the post this morn, love getting new gadgets.

Just need a good race now in Dec to see where I'm at (and find out my max HR!)

Joined the a/c in work yesterday so will have a fine selection of races to pick from in the BHAA, got a run through of how the whole thing work and it seems to be well organised with grades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I followed a training plan set out by the Adidas Micoach app last year. Peaked at 54 miles per week with a few 30's and 40's around that peak period.

Got a HRM in the post this morn, love getting new gadgets.

Just need a good race now in Dec to see where I'm at (and find out my max HR!)

Joined the a/c in work yesterday so will have a fine selection of races to pick from in the BHAA, got a run through of how the whole thing work and it seems to be well organised with grades etc.

Jingle Bells 5k ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Started in summer last year (2 irrelevent 10kms on no training in years past before that) , done 2 months non-structured training for the Dingle half, then done 2 more half marathons in the following 4 weeks! mad i know:rolleyes:

Stopped then completely until July where I started HHN2 for DCM. So a bit of running but not regularly.

Pretty impressive really. I haven't had much structure to my running either to break 3.30 but this my second attempt. 3.30 without following the plans on your first marathon......:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hi there, I've stuck Sundays run in the thread for anyone interested in joining: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81660782#post81660782

Jingle Bells 5k ;)

Ya, thats an option.

May hold off and go BHAA the week after (cheaper) but I would like to see where I am at pb wise and that one is XC (5k in marley park)

If I'm not in Dublin I could be in the vicinity of the Castleblayney 5k or the Birdhill 5k so will get something in.

So i have a dilemma.

I have a 5k on the 25th of this month (first 5k race) and I have the Waterford half on the 1st.

Which should I have as my target for setting a PB?

I have never ran a 5k but have PB of 21.24 set during a half marathon. So I could probably break this handy going HM pace or a small bit faster.

However, If i target this I'll likely be wrecked for the Waterford half and not be able to target a PB for this. A sub 1.32.

So, should I:

1) Target the 5km and take the HM easy?
    2) Take the 5k handy and target the HM?
    3) Should I not target any for setting a PB because it's just a couple weeks after DCM?

:confused::confused:

Advise welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

As a matter of interest blockic - what was your fitness base beforehand ? Where you a regular football / GAA player or similar or did you start from nothing at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have a 5k on the 25th of this month (first 5k race) and I have the Waterford half on the 1st.

a week is plenty for recovering from a 5k

So i have a dilemma.

I have never ran a 5k but have PB of 21.24 set during a half marathon. So I could probably break this handy going HM pace or a small bit faster.

However, If i target this I'll likely be wrecked for the Waterford half and not be able to target a PB for this. A sub 1.32.

So, should I:

3) Should I not target any for setting a PB because it's just a couple weeks after DCM?

Advise welcome!

You should be fine. The rule of thumb is 1 day easy for every mile raced. You should be fully recovered from the 5k in 3 days and in plenty of time for a Half.

Race both. You will set PB's in Both.
    I would expect you to go under 20 minutes for a 5k quite handily. We will likely have a speed session at the end of the week ending 25th November, so just skip that session (easy run instead) and race the 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

So i have a dilemma.

So, should I:

Advise welcome!

Answer the next question in one second - don't think about it at all. Just answer .....

What means more to you personally - a 5K PB or a HM PB ?

Whichever you just answered (if you did it in one second) is the one to aim for providing you are not pushing too soon after DCM / risking injury which I'm sure one of the more experienced guys can speak about.

Edit - Speedier words of wisdom say do both - happy days :D

As a matter of interest blockic - what was your fitness base beforehand ? Where you a regular football / GAA player or similar or did you start from nothing at all ?

Yep, secret has been found out! :)

Was a GAA player but retired at the grand old age of 19! :D

Done nothing then (apart from aforementioned 10ks on no training) until I started up "proper" running last year at 25.

• Advertisement

What means more to you personally - a 5K PB or a HM PB ?

Haha, I actually couldnt pick one out so the only solution is:
    Race both.

:D Will give it a shot anyway

Advertisement