Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

menoscemo wrote: »
    That was a HM session. 3 x 2 miles would have been sufficient for a 10 miler :D

Hi Meno,

What would be the structure of a session coming up to the HM to see if your target pace was achieveable, or is there such a thing? Something like the above session (with more miles)?

I remember in the build up to a post christmas 5k I did something like 5 or 6 x 1/2 mile at 5k pace as part of your plan and it was pretty accurate.

Also when would you do such a session (i.e. how long before race day)?

Thanks.
    M

Some good running alround, well done. haven't been posting a lot but keeping up to date on progress and getting the miles in myself, not long now to Bohermeen, its been a long slog through training for this one - I'm thinking once we get to the other side of it the weather/daylight etc will have picked up and it we'll have a spring/summer of nice running to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

miguelk wrote: »
    Hi Meno,

What would be the structure of a session coming up to the HM to see if your target pace was achieveable, or is there such a thing? Something like the above session (with more miles)?

I remember in the build up to a post christmas 5k I did something like 5 or 6 x 1/2 mile at 5k pace as part of your plan and it was pretty accurate.

Also when would you do such a session (i.e. how long before race day)?

Thanks.
    M

Some good running alround, well done. haven't been posting a lot but keeping up to date on progress and getting the miles in myself, not long now to Bohermeen, its been a long slog through training for this one - I'm thinking once we get to the other side of it the weather/daylight etc will have picked up and it we'll have a spring/summer of nice running to look forward to.

The plan for the next 3 weeks will be a build up to the HM in Meath on March 3rd. The Idea is to build up the continuous miles at HM pace each week. Intervals are good for building up the number of miles you can continuously run at HM pace. My Idea would be to get everyone running 6-7 Continuous miles at HM pace about 10 days before the race. I have always found If I can hold HM pace for half the total distance in training I will be able to carry it through for the whole distance on race day.

There are a few diffenrent approaches. For example Ecoli's peak session would be 3 x 5k at HMP with short recoveries. (similar to the recent 10 mile session where everyone did 3 x 3 miles 10 days out).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

The plan for the next 3 weeks will be a build up to the HM in Meath on March 3rd. The Idea is to build up the continuous miles at HM pace each week. Intervals are good for building up the number of miles you can continuously run at HM pace. My Idea would be to get everyone running 6-7 Continuous miles at HM pace about 10 days before the race. I have always found If I can hold HM pace for half the total distance in training I will be able to carry it through for the whole distance on race day.

There are a few diffenrent approaches. For example Ecoli's peak session would be 3 x 5k at HMP with short recoveries. (similar to the recent 10 mile session where everyone did 3 x 3 miles 10 days out).

Excellent, just what i was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hi folks, hope I didn't fk up the spreadsheet. I tried to re-add myself but the mileage wasn't automatically adding up for me so I deleted the row I added. I've just put myself in as a new joiner instead.
    Anyone know what the story is with this?
    Thx in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hi folks, hope I didn't fk up the spreadsheet. I tried to re-add myself but the mileage wasn't automatically adding up for me so I deleted the row I added. I've just put myself in as a new joiner instead.
    Anyone know what the story is with this?
    Thx in advance.

Looks to be ok. Best to leave it in the New Joiner area. The creator/master :) (PM) will add you to the main sheet for next weeks tab I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

blockic wrote: »

Looks to be ok. Best to leave it in the New Joiner area. The creator/master :) (PM) will add you to the main sheet for next weeks tab I'm sure.

Will sort that in the morning. (Am on phone at moment so not practical)

If you have other weeks runs to log for the year rasher drop me a pm and I will add you back in across all sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

If you have other weeks runs to log for the year rasher drop me a pm and I will add you back in across all sheets.

Hey PM, Would love to join your spreadsheet if you don't mind another new joiner? Could you provide a link to the most up to date one? I'v searched the thread and found links but not sure if they are the right ones to use now.
    Strictly speaking I'm a DCM11 graduate but still a newbie-ish runner:)

Thanks PM, no I've no runs to add....just thought anyone could add people handy enough so I threw it into the log. There's no rush at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

RedRunner wrote: »

Hey PM, Would love to join your spreadsheet if you don't mind another new joiner? Could you provide a link to the most up to date one? I'v searched the thread and found links but not sure if they are the right ones to use now.
    Strictly speaking I'm a DCM11 graduate but still a newbie-ish runner:)

Hi RedRunner

You're more than welcome. The OP (first post) of this thread by blockic has had 2 links added to it. It's the first one you want. (The 2012 one being last years calendar year) drop your name in on week 6 but if you would like previous weeks runs logged drop me a pm and I will set them up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi RedRunner

You're more than welcome. The OP (first post) of this thread by blockic has had 2 links added to it. It's the first one you want. (The 2012 one being last years calendar year) drop your name in on week 6 but if you would like previous weeks runs logged drop me a pm and I will set them up for you.

Cool, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

11 miles done last night, just 5 and 17 to do before 1530 on Sunday! (I got a ticket to the rugby :))

Looking forward to a having just 42 miles to run next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

All better & back in the saddle.

After the short break away from running with illness I've found it difficult to get motivated to get out but yesterday's tempo run felt great & I found that today's easy run was much quicker, I'd say the legs enjoyed the fast run yesterday and got used to the pace pretty quickly (if that makes sense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I did my 10 strides on tue and my Inner ankle area is v tender since. Both sides! Must have strained Achilles or something. Not sure if I should attempt the lsr tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I did my 10 strides on tue and my Inner ankle area is v tender since. Both sides! Must have strained Achilles or something. Not sure if I should attempt the lsr tomorrow morning.

Funny you say that Stephen, I find my ankle niggles at me after the Tuesday session run. I find foam rolling the life out of my calves and stretching them loads really helps, also running the following day's recovery really slowly seems to get me ready for the next run.

I have a worry at the back of my head that it's gonna get worse but fingers crossed so far so good. Best of luck, I really hope you get sorted :-)

Yea I hammered the calves last night with the stick and my thumb! I did one stride downhill and in sure that's the cause, all my chi running form out the window!! I will rest til it feels better, just frustrated cos I want to get my weekly mileage up! But it's only week 2 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Yea I hammered the calves last night with the stick and my thumb! I did one stride downhill and in sure that's the cause, all my chi running form out the window!! I will rest til it feels better, just frustrated cos I want to get my weekly mileage up! But it's only week 2 for me.

I'd say you'll know pretty quickly if it is going to be an issue or not. Perhaps the slow bit of the LSR will be of benefit? Build slowly and give it time to warm up and I'd say you'll figure it out if you can go on or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Havent checked in here in awhile, Done DCM12 still running away, Heading to do Edinburgh Marathon in May then DCM13 in October! Anyone else heading over for that one?

I'd say you'll know pretty quickly if it is going to be an issue or not. Perhaps the slow bit of the LSR will be of benefit? Build slowly and give it time to warm up and I'd say you'll figure it out if you can go on or not.
    Thanks killian I was thinking the same.. Ill just go out slow and judge it, defo no pmp miles. Ice on it this eve and its easing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks killian I was thinking the same.. Ill just go out slow and judge it, defo no pmp miles. Ice on it this eve and its easing for sure.

It could possibly be down to the changes you are making with the chi running. You are putting repeated (gentle) strain on your legs that your ligaments, muscles etc aren't used to. Just take it easy with pace and you should be ok

Sickness finally caught up with me. Had to cancel my run today resulting in the chances of a 50 mile week going down the drain with it. Hopefully a good sleep tonight will sort it as I can't afford to miss the 20 miles on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sickness finally caught up with me. Had to cancel my run today resulting in the chances of a 50 mile week going down the drain with it. Hopefully a good sleep tonight will sort it as I can't afford to miss the 20 miles on Sunday.

Hard luck J but you're better off missing a run and getting over it. I would only do the 20 on Sunday if you're completely better. Remember that the further you run the more your immune system is weakened. I would say 10 weeks out from Rotterdam you can juggle the schedule round a bit

Yes you can. You can always do it next week.

Wouldn't worry about it too much. As meno said just switch it around. Not much point running if you're still not well in Sunday, you'll only set yourself back.... Don't worry, your legs will forgive you

Wouldn't worry about it too much. As meno said just switch it around. Not much point running if you're still not well in Sunday, you'll only set yourself back.... Don't worry, your legs will forgive you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Remember the story of Mr Slow, dont be running if your not 100% at very least.

Yes you can. You can always do it next week.

Haha. problem is I have to do 20 next week too regardless! :pac:
    tang1 wrote: »

Yup, I'll see how get on next couple of days. Was getting by during the week as it was just the head cold but I think it may have got to the chest now. If that is the case I defo won't be running. Sickening as it's the start of the peak in training for me but better to be out for 5 days rather than 5 weeks!

tang1 wrote: »

I don't agree that you need to be 100% to run, but you should be at least 90% to run a 20 miler ;)
    Haha. problem is I have to do 20 next week too regardless! :pac:

:D I know the program well. But yeah, you can always do another 20 miler later down the line in place of a shorter LSR. Switch the weeks around to suit you...

I don't agree that you need to be 100% to run, but you should be at least 90% to run a 20 miler ;)

Wouldn't expect anything less from meno 'one hip' scemo!:rolleyes::D

Wouldn't expect anything less from meno 'one hip' scemo!:rolleyes::D

...I thought he had a banjaxed buttocks :confused:

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    ...I thought he had a banjaxed buttocks :confused:

I did, but I kept going and eventually it went away ;)

Advertisement