Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

rasher_m wrote: »

...I thought he had a banjaxed buttocks :confused:

Have I stumbled on to the wrong thread?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Gavlor wrote: »
    Have I stumbled on to the wrong thread?? :)

Ah just slagging meno...he was calling his muscle injury in his bum...his 'hip' injury :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Did Malahide Park Run this morning.Injury still holding up ok . A bit of numbness in back but no pain. I know I'm still not 100% but I'll get there eventually and I'm being careful about what I do so far. Reasonably happy with progress so far but have to keep telling myself to be patient.

See report over on my training log http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328&page=12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RedRunner wrote: »
    A bit of numbness in back but no pain.

:eek: Take it easy with that now. I have a history of lower back pain myself. I've been doing pilates fairly regularly (just once a week) which I have found to be of great help. In fact I haven't had any back trouble since I started pilates (or indeed since I started running). Core work in general I think is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

17 miles today, swapped my long from tomorrow so just five miles to squeeze in in order to stay on track with p&d.

I can confirm that spring is definitely on the way as I inhaled my first three flies of the year shortly after starting out today...nothing like a gagging / coughing fit to charm other path users.

Mr G. Armin tells me I averaged 8'39. It'll be dinner and bed at this rate...tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Have started reading P&D in preparation for running their 55m plan after Limerick in May. Bloody hell, 3 pages in & I hope it gets easier to read. Glad I started it now, I think I'll have to read it twice!

coalshed wrote: »
    17 miles today, swapped my long from tomorrow so just five miles to squeeze in in order to stay on track with p&d.

I can confirm that spring is definitely on the way as I inhaled my first three flies of the year shortly after starting out today...nothing like a gagging / coughing fit to charm other path users.

Mr G. Armin tells me I averaged 8'39. It'll be dinner and bed at this rate...tired.

Good running, is that 17 mile lsr as part of your limerick prep? If so....

Sweet Jesus that's some commitment!

Na, its for Paris which is a month earlier...here endeth the 4th week of a p&d 12 week 55 mile plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I do believe Mr. coalshed is running Paris in early April...

Na, its for Paris which is a month earlier...here endeth the 4th week of a p&d 12 week 55 mile plan.

Phew!

That's meant to be a class day, vino handed out by locals along the route is one of the attractions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Have started reading P&D in preparation for running their 55m plan after Limerick in May. Bloody hell, 3 pages in & I hope it gets easier to read. Glad I started it now, I think I'll have to read it twice!

There's a lot of info loaded towards the front. It sort of sinks in via osmosis after a while, and I think that it's laid out in such a way that you can find what you want to know (or have forgotten) fairly easily once you've read it. I've re-read chapters a few times, over the months since I bought it, and the significance of certain paces and sessions is slowly sinking in. Which is good, I'm more likely to have faith in the programme and stick with it, if I believe that each session (particularly the difficult ones) have a purpose. Short answer: 'twill be grand. :)

Phew!

That's meant to be a class day, vino handed out by locals along the route is one of the attractions!
    I believe it's a lovely course, i might leave the wine till after though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

No LSR for me this weekend,OH on nights last night & working again tomorrow.Hadn't planned on getting any running done today either but OH relievied me of family duties to let me out for an hour so a gentle 7miles,first week of the year to hit the 50 mile mark.
    I think the body is looking forward to a nice rest day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

docjewel wrote: »
    I think the body is looking forward to a nice rest day tomorrow.

You deserve it man, looking at your miles on the log with envy. Serious mileage. Keep it up.

murphd77 wrote: »
    :eek: Take it easy with that now. I have a history of lower back pain myself. I've been doing pilates fairly regularly (just once a week) which I have found to be of great help. In fact I haven't had any back trouble since I started pilates (or indeed since I started running). Core work in general I think is the key.

I hear ya, thanks for that. As it happens, bought myself a pilates DVD during the week so will be taking a look at it over next couple of days to to see what exercises I need to be doing.Thought I'd start with a DVD before trying any formal classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I thought the same Killian when I first read it. I'm now 6 weeks in and go back to read bits and pieces and it all makes much more sense now thankfully :) I highly recommend it :D

Headed out this morning it heavy rain and wind to do 12 miles. The first few miles were horrendous - cold wind and pouring rain, I really started to question what the hell I was doing this for. I told myself I would go straight home and order a treadmill for the garage so I wouldn't have to face this cr#p again :eek:

But as the miles went on I realised it wasn't so bad. Once your soaked you can't get any wetter and the wind calmed a bit. I nodded knowingly to a few other runners and thought to myself this wasn't so bad after all. Race conditions could be like this so good experience and all that.

Finished the 12 miles at a 9.09 min pace - bit faster than planned but ran to feel as my Garmin was tucked away out of the rain!

So this run got me wondering am I the only non-treadmill user on here?

Runchick wrote: »

Nope, I can't stand the treadmill.

To emphasise the point, I joined a gym in August and I have used it a grand total of one time!

Not at all. I would rather run in any weather rather than run on a treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd run on one but not enough to justify buying one or joining a gym - again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Nope! Another elements bearer here! I too long for a treadmill at times. The last few weeks I feel I've done nothing but plod round in the rain, but as you say, once you're wet, you kinda just resign yourself to it. I actually feel it gives a great sense if accomplishment when you're finished. It would have been so easy to stay tucked up indoors, but you went out and got it done. Extra htfu bonus points I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

No,all my runs are done on the road,15 miles done this morning @8.50 pace in same weather :)

No treadmill for me, but id be willing to pay for a pacer with an umbrella the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Don't use a threadmill either.
    Its good to get out & feel the fresh wind air & be at one with the elements nature throws at you.
    Makes you better prepared for the weather on raceday perhaps??:D

No treadmill for me, but id be willing to pay for a pacer with an umbrella the odd time.

Now there's a plan ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

18k in near constant Donegal rain. No wind to speak of, so the rain felt almost refreshing. No water bottle required!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

17miles in the wind, rain and bitter cold. 20miles planned but was so wet & cold I called it a day early. I think if my route was a bit different I probably would have done the lot but passing my front door before a short finishing loop through the park was just 3miles too far!

Slightly disappointed, but I think it was a wise decision in the end, took at least an hour to warm up afterwards.

On the treadmill question, I rarely use one in the gym other than a warm up but I actually did a tempo run on one last time out. Set the speed, increased the incline to make it more similar to a road effort and head off. Enjoyed it actually but you still wonder if it really does replicate a road run.

I don't think it would be a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

17miles in the wind, rain and bitter cold. 20miles planned but was so wet & cold I called it a day early. I think if my route was a bit different I probably would have done the lot but passing my front door before a short finishing loop through the park was just 3miles too far!

Slightly disappointed, but I think it was a wise decision in the end, took at least an hour to warm up afterwards.

On the treadmill question, I rarely use one in the gym other than a warm up but I actually did a tempo run on one last time out. Set the speed, increased the incline to make it more similar to a road effort and head off. Enjoyed it actually but you still wonder if it really does replicate a road run.

I don't think it would be a regular occurrence.
    I'd be the same if I was passing my house! I'd say make the route longer on the trip out!
    Feeling guilty here with a big hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Ran the Enniscorthy 10k today. Race report here in my log

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056871762

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Went out for an easy 3.3 mile run. I was going to run over to the gym (30 seconds away from my place) and do it on the treadmill but after reading the earlier posts I thought I should join the Martyrs :D.
    I went down to Albert College park and the whole park was flooded so added about a lb to each foot squishing along the path. When I was leaving it I noticed a sign saying this park is being treated for Rat infestation...so glad I didn't read it on the way in. I've been in that park since I was a kiddie and never even seen a mouse. My ankle is really tight so will roll the fk out of it after I get home from the dreaded grocery shopping.

Advertisement