Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

All roads led to Four Mile House, Co Roscommon today and the Kilbride 10km and an attempt to impove my PB of 42.56. I had my Dad with me for company, he was a sub3 hour marathon man in his day so i had to pull somekind of performance off. Got to the race in good time and picked up my number. Went for a gentle warm up and chatted to a few locals before the race began, i was told the first 5km was quick, next 2km was undulating and the last 3km was all uphill:eek::eek:. The race started bang on 1pm and i settled in with a group of 4/5 other runners, this group kept together to 5km which i went through in 18.58, new 5k PB but i wont be counting it.

Group started to break up now as the rolling hills came into play, i was with two other lads but they were struggling, a lady from Mayo AC passed at this stage and i latched onto her. I seen the 7km marker approaching and looked up, there were the hills in front of me, all up from here. I stuck with the Mayo AC lady as best i could, but she didnt have my fat ar$e to pull up those hills:o. I dug in as best i could till 9km and looked at my watch, it read 37.xx and i said to myself put in a 4min last km and i'll be a happy man. So head down and push to the finish, coming into finish line i seen my Mayo AC friend just outsprinted for 1st lady and crossed the finish line a few seconds later. Official race time 41.10, happy out with that cause those last 3km cost me time, on a flatter course i'd hope to get close to 40mins on this performance.

A great afternoon and a new PB, great to have my Dad at finish line to congratulate me. He was well impressed with my performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

^^^ Serious performance there B.....well done :D You must have come on a good bit since the Tom Brennan to run the 5k that fast and still have enough left for hills at the end :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done on all those racing today, some good performances!!

This week we will do a session concentrating on HM/10m pace as well as introducing the new concept of Hill sprints :D

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    | 5 miles easy w strides or hill sprints*|rest/cross|session*|3 miles recovery|5m easy (strides/hill sprints optional)|rest/cross|LSR 15 miles

Hill Sprints
    Ideally you will find a hill near the end of your run, but if it is in the middle of the run it is no problem. The hill needs to be steep but not very long. The effort of this should be similar to strides (i.e. not flat out), but you should power up the hill concentrating on form.

The sprints themselves should be 6 x 10-15 seconds (as I said the hill does not need to be long) and the recovery is jogging back down the hill. You should do these without stopping. If you have to stop you are doing them too hard.

Session
    1 mile warm up followed by 8 miles alternating HM(or 10 mile) goal pace with MP. So the session should be : 1 mile warm up, 4 x (1mile Race pace, 1 mile MP) 1 mile warm down. (10 miles total)

As I say Race pace is your goal pace for either the HM or 10 miler.

Best of Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great run tang. That will stand to you when you get a nice flat course!! You'll be looking to break the 40 handy in the next one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

tang1 wrote: »

A great afternoon and a new PB, great to have my Dad at finish line to congratulate me. He was well impressed with my performance.

Great running tang, nice PB at this stage in the year on what seems a tough course.
    Great to see the comment regarding your dad, special moments.

Btw : where's your log ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Runchick wrote: »
    Headed out this morning it heavy rain and wind to do 12 miles. The first few miles were horrendous - cold wind and pouring rain, I really started to question what the hell I was doing this for. I told myself I would go straight home and order a treadmill for the garage so I wouldn't have to face this cr#p again :eek:

But as the miles went on I realised it wasn't so bad. Once your soaked you can't get any wetter and the wind calmed a bit. I nodded knowingly to a few other runners and thought to myself this wasn't so bad after all. Race conditions could be like this so good experience and all that.

Finished the 12 miles at a 9.09 min pace - bit faster than planned but ran to feel as my Garmin was tucked away out of the rain!

So this run got me wondering am I the only non-treadmill user on here?
    Nope. I have never been on one. Although many times have looked into getting one when running on a morning like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

All roads led to Four Mile House, Co Roscommon today and the Kilbride 10km and an attempt to impove my PB of 42.56. I had my Dad with me for company, he was a sub3 hour marathon man in his day so i had to pull somekind of performance off. Got to the race in good time and picked up my number. Went for a gentle warm up and chatted to a few locals before the race began, i was told the first 5km was quick, next 2km was undulating and the last 3km was all uphill:eek::eek:. The race started bang on 1pm and i settled in with a group of 4/5 other runners, this group kept together to 5km which i went through in 18.58, new 5k PB but i wont be counting it.

Group started to break up now as the rolling hills came into play, i was with two other lads but they were struggling, a lady from Mayo AC passed at this stage and i latched onto her. I seen the 7km marker approaching and looked up, there were the hills in front of me, all up from here. I stuck with the Mayo AC lady as best i could, but she didnt have my fat ar$e to pull up those hills:o. I dug in as best i could till 9km and looked at my watch, it read 37.xx and i said to myself put in a 4min last km and i'll be a happy man. So head down and push to the finish, coming into finish line i seen my Mayo AC friend just outsprinted for 1st lady and crossed the finish line a few seconds later. Official race time 41.10, happy out with that cause those last 3km cost me time, on a flatter course i'd hope to get close to 40mins on this performance.

Savage stuff tang. That's a serious 5k time too. Well done man

Cheers for all the nice comments lads, ruined my performance today though by having a MASSIVE bowl of stewed apple & custard made by my mother after dinner today, delish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just back from a very rainy and miserable 12 miler, stepback week for me so just the 12. People who don't run look at you in a really wierd way when you say it like that! Despite the rain it was actually really nice being out there. Legs were feeling fresh so I did it as 8 miles PMP finishing with 4 HMP, kinda defeating the purpose of step back week though. It went well with the last 4 miles feeling comfortably hard, but not murderous. Tired now but a giant pizza will sort me out, a man has to recover ahead of the week meno has in store for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running tang, nice PB at this stage in the year on what seems a tough course.
    Great to see the comment regarding your dad, special moments.

Btw : where's your log ;-)

+1 you mayaswell give into the dark side tang....

• Advertisement

Sorry for being a pain, but could one of the learned IT heads have look at the goal races and times area in the spreadsheet for me. For some reason the race i ran today keeps saving as 02/10 rather than 10/02. I've edited it a few times and resaved it but keeps showing 02/10. No hassle if it cant be sorted, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Cheers for all the nice comments lads, ruined my performance today though by having a MASSIVE bowl of stewed apple & custard made by my mother after dinner today, delish!!!
    Well done that was fantastic run! Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Official race time 41.10, happy out with that cause those last 3km cost me time, on a flatter course i'd hope to get close to 40mins on this performance.

Great stuff , well done .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Fruit and calcium never came in a more delicious form than stewed apple & custard. It's good for you and nutritionally beneficial. We all (well me anyway) should have more of it. :D

Mighty run by the way.

Did Tang evade my Q on his Log?

Did Tang evade my Q on his Log?

Nope, no evading at all i keep a written diary log which does the job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I know a few people here are doing the Wexford Half on April 21st, but a possible alternative for those doing Cork City Marathon is the Great Island 10 on the same day. It’s a bargain €16.72 to enter and proceeds go to the Irish Cancer Society.

http://www.greatisland10.com/go/Home.aspx

It’s been voted best 10 mile race in Munster for the last couple of years by Cork Running blog

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2013/02/results-of-poll-for-best-10-mile-race.html

It’s good timing for CCM, I think I’ll do it and hope to improve my Ballycotton time in the intervening 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

ncmc wrote: »

Did this last year and it was great. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

10 mile session this morning with 5 @ HM pace. Splits for the 5 @ HM were 8.25, 8.17, 8.14, 8.46, 8.10. I upped the pace a bit more than planned (8.30) and paid for it in the 4th mile but found a good pace again for the last push. I can't work out if this is how I should be training. Is this ok or should I have tried for even 8.30 splits and held an even pace over the 5 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

10 mile session this morning with 5 @ HM pace. Splits for the 5 @ HM were 8.25, 8.17, 8.14, 8.46, 8.10. I upped the pace a bit more than planned (8.30) and paid for it in the 4th mile but found a good pace again for the last push. I can't work out if this is how I should be training. Is this ok or should I have tried for even 8.30 splits and held an even pace over the 5 miles?
    Sounds darn good to me! Well done u! I'd only dream of having 10 miles done before 8 let alone at that speed, fair play to ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great session runchick. the best way to do a session is to ensure it is consistent across the 5 miles or else it is progressive across the 5 miles. So best to keep a pace that you can do the full distance with.

If it was me doing it (and my advise is not worth jack) the target pace across the first 3 and then if I had the energy I would have pushed the last 2 at a slightly faster pace (maybe 5-10 seconds faster that HMP). It would give you a more consistant session overall.

But that doesnt take anything away from the your great session this morning....before 8am :eek: I cant even imagine that!!:) Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

blockic wrote: »

Great session runchick. the best way to do a session is to ensure it is consistent across the 5 miles or else it is progressive across the 5 miles. So best to keep a pace that you can do the full distance with.

If it was me doing it (and my advise is not worth jackthe target pace across the first 3 and then if I had the energy I would have pushed the last 2 at a slightly faster pace (maybe 5-10 seconds faster that HMP). It would give you a more consistant session overall.

But that doesnt take anything away from the your great session this morning....before 8am :eek: I cant even imagine that!!:) Well done!

Cheers Blockic that sounds like a much better way to structure it. I have a tendency to just go out full pelt rather than being smart about it. Your way I can push the last few if I feel I can :) oh and by the time I posted I had ran, stretched, showered, dressed and sitting down to pancakes ;-) early mornings are the way to go!!

There’s too much running being done before breakfast for my liking, that Career Move has a lot to answer for!

Even the thought of doing that session before 8am is making me feel tired… I’m off back to bed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Well done, I feel very lazy now and it's only 10.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Cheoh and by the time I posted I had ran, stretched, showered, dressed and sitting down to pancakes ;-) early mornings are the way to go!!

They sure are... I did a similar sessio but shorter... up at 5.45am... 8 Miles with 3 at 15K pace. feels like a blur now.
    But we can eat all the pancakes we want today!!

They sure are... I did a similar sessio but shorter... up at 5.45am... 8 Miles with 3 at 15K pace. feels like a blur now.
    But we can eat all the pancakes we want today!!
    I saw that on your log alright…. Even your Garmin was still asleep at that time! I think that’s a hint right there :cool:

Night running ftw, you can feel all superior running by the chipper and pub! :p

Must get on this log more often - this early morning running seems to be what all the cool people are doing................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ncmc wrote: »
    I saw that on your log alright…. Even your Garmin was still asleep at that time! I think that’s a hint right there :cool:

Night running ftw, you can feel all superior running by the chipper and pub! :p

I concur

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Brought forward Meno's midweek session to this morning.
    What a difference a week makes,last week with the weather & a bad choice of a route I struggled with it but still gave it my all.
    This week feel so much better after it,thought it might be still tough as I did 9 miles yesterday but for a change brought the headphones with me to listen to the radio as a distraction,even over the last 2 mile of HMP & MP I wasn't continually looking at the watch.
    Splits were:-
    1 mile warm up 8:53
    1 mile HMP 7:30
    1 mile MP 8:07
    1 mile HMP 7:41
    1 mile MP 8:28
    1 mile HMP 7:53
    1 mile MP 8:16
    1 Mile HMP 7:53
    1 mile MP 8:16
    1 mile cool down 9:20
    & a nice gentle 2 mile jog back to car after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Shamed* by posts above into bringing the run forward and getting the runners on early. 8miles done, 9.56pace planned - 9.33 actual. Felt nice & easy, I may revisit my 'slow' pace and bring it down somewhat.

* I wasent actually shamed into doing it.

Advertisement