Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Runchick wrote: »
    10 mile session this morning with 5 @ HM pace. Splits for the 5 @ HM were 8.25, 8.17, 8.14, 8.46, 8.10. I upped the pace a bit more than planned (8.30) and paid for it in the 4th mile but found a good pace again for the last push. I can't work out if this is how I should be training. Is this ok or should I have tried for even 8.30 splits and held an even pace over the 5 miles?

Hey, I've just realised you're not only getting up too damn early, you've also started to run too damn fast. What happened to '9.30 - 10min'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey, I've just realised you're not only getting up too damn early, you've also started to run too damn fast. What happened to '9.30 - 10min'!

I know Killian the pace has picked up a tad, more 9.30 than 10 min. I run to feel and the effort seems to be the same but I'm thinking I need to start measuring heart rate to know for sure. Mind you the recovery runs are an extremely gentle 11 min mile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

docjewel wrote: »
    Brought forward Meno's midweek session to this morning.
    What a difference a week makes,last week with the weather & a bad choice of a route I struggled with it but still gave it my all.
    This week feel so much better after it,thought it might be still tough as I did 9 miles yesterday but for a change brought the headphones with me to listen to the radio as a distraction,even over the last 2 mile of HMP & MP I wasn't continually looking at the watch.
    Splits were:-
    1 mile warm up 8:53
    1 mile HMP 7:30
    1 mile MP 8:07
    1 mile HMP 7:41
    1 mile MP 8:28
    1 mile HMP 7:53
    1 mile MP 8:16
    1 Mile HMP 7:53
    1 mile MP 8:16
    1 mile cool down 9:20
    & a nice gentle 2 mile jog back to car after
    Wow impressive! N that after 9 miles yesterday! Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Feeling a knee today so taking a rest from the little Tuesday run. The goal is to make it to the marathon start line, twice in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Meno where art thou??? :D I gotsa question!

A pint in May is waiting if you answer...i knew that would get your attention! :D

Have my first V02 max session tomorrow. 10m with 5x800m at 5k pace.

What kind of recoveries should I be looking at between these?

The reps will be around 3mins so should I be thinking around 90 second recoveries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Meno where art thou??? :D I gotsa question!

A pint in May is waiting if you answer...i knew that would get your attention! :D

Have my first V02 max session tomorrow. 10m with 5x800m at 5k pace.

What kind of recoveries should I be looking at between these?

The reps will be around 3mins so should I be thinking around 90 second recoveries?

What does the book say?

We regularly do 800s at our club with 1 minute recoveries but that is standing still. With jog recoveries it is probably a little more...

Vo2 max has started eh? that means it is getting close....

menoscemo wrote: »
    What does the book say?

We regularly do 800s at our club with 1 minute recoveries but that is standing still. With jog recoveries it is probably a little more...

Vo2 max has started eh? that means it is getting close....

I just checked my calendar before I asked. Then I goes and looks at the book and right there in front of me it says 50-90% recoveries. :o So around 90-120 seconds should do the job. Dumbsss here should have checked the book first!

Yup, just realised I've only one more lactate threshold run left! scary stuff! Under 9 weeks to go. No panic!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I just checked my calendar before I asked. Then I goes and looks at the book and right there in front of me it says 50-90% recoveries. :o So around 90-120 seconds should do the job. Dumbsss here should have checked the book first!

Yup, just realised I've only one more lactate threshold run left! scary stuff! Under 9 weeks to go. No panic!:eek:

Have you re-adjusted the <3.10 goal yet???

Gavlor wrote: »
    Have you re-adjusted the <3.10 goal yet???

Nope! :D Bohermeen on March 3rd will be the deciding factor! Anyway I'm taking the patient long-term approach. Why rush it! Get a bit of experience at the distance first before the sub3 assault!

Nope! :D Bohermeen on March 3rd will be the deciding factor! Anyway I'm taking the patient long-term approach. Why rush it! Get a bit of experience at the distance first before the sub3 assault!

Suppose time is on your side!

That said, why put in all this effort only for you to leave a bit behind??

Sh!t or champagne ;)

Edit* Gavlor enterprises take no responsibility for a broken man 23.7 miles into Rotterdam marathon

• Advertisement

Edit* Gavlor enterprises take no responsibility for a broken man 23.7 miles into Rotterdam marathon

haha, love it! :)

Ah there will be nothing left behind, I might just be held until 20 miles before it's unleashed...long way between now and gameday yet though! anthing could happen. One day at a time!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

5.20 miles 45:57 @ 8:50 avg

Avg HR 141
    Max HR 164

Splits: 9:28,9:02,9:00,8:36,8:18, (7:30)

I've got a HM on March 17th so have to start thinking about my training properly over next few weeks. I'll not be going out to shatter any records but would like to at least take a couple of minutes off my PB which is currently 1:56:xx. I know its there for the taking but funnily enough I did this time after coming back from an injury too in Dublin HM last year (Hip Flexor).

So I'll put my neck on the line and see if I can go for a 1:52 which gives me a HM pace of 8:32. Would definitely have been doable a few weeks ago before injury but the course is undulating and I've got four weeks training left...let's see how training goes .

Incidentally..PM on spreadsheet my totals don't seem to be totting up correctly. Think the Column O is being omitted from formula.If you could get a chance to look at it at some stage that'd be appreciated very much..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

RedRunner wrote: »
    5.20 miles 45:57 @ 8:50 avg

Avg HR 141
    Max HR 164

Splits: 9:28,9:02,9:00,8:36,8:18, (7:30)

I've got a HM on March 17th so have to start thinking about my training properly over next few weeks. I'll not be going out to shatter any records but would like to at least take a couple of minutes off my PB which is currently 1:56:xx. I know its there for the taking but funnily enough I did this time after coming back from an injury too in Dublin HM last year (Hip Flexor).

So I'll put my neck on the line and see if I can go for a 1:52 which gives me a HM pace of 8:32. Would definitely have been doable a few weeks ago before injury but the course is undulating and I've got four weeks training left...let's see how training goes .

Incidentally..PM on spreadsheet my totals don't seem to be totting up correctly. Think the Column O is being omitted from formula.If you could get a chance to look at it at some stage that'd be appreciated very much..thanks

Hey RedRunner, your courage will not be in question but be careful of trying to hard to soon after Injury especially with limited recent training miles

Maybe a home town consolidation and then push on again for DHM or another summer half when your in full on training again?

Just a thought and since I took 3 yr's to run my first Thon I can be classed as a conservative in these matters

Walkedit wrote: »

Hey RedRunner, your courage will not be in question but be careful of trying to hard to soon after Injury especially with limited recent training miles

Maybe a home town consolidation and then push on again for DHM or another summer half when your in full on training again?

Just a thought and since I took 3 yr's to run my first Thon I can be classed as a conservative in these matters

No you are absolutely right walkedit. I will be conservative and not try anything silly. If I have to run it in 2hrs plus to avoid any trouble thats what ill do. Ill even do the 10 k instead if I havent put enough training in beforehand.
    Thanks

Walkedit wrote: »

A 'thon' - your getting very familiar with the holy grail aren't you! ;-)

Another 8m done, have dropped 30secs off my 'easy' pace so plan was to average 9.28.

Managed to average 9.17 for the run including some great times in miles 7 & 8 with no major damage to heart rate. Feeling positive at the moment.

Can't do tables...
    Total time 1hr14.50
    1368cal

Mile 1 - 9.40
    Mile 2 - 9.11
    Mile 3 - 9.18
    Mile 4 - 9.25
    Mile 5 - 9.24
    Mile 6 - 9.25
    Mile 7 - 9.13
    Mile 8 - 8.41

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Another 8m done, have dropped 30secs off my 'easy' pace so plan was to average 9.28.

Managed to average 9.17 for the run including some great times in miles 7 & 8 with no major damage to heart rate. Feeling positive at the moment.

Can't do tables...
    Total time 1hr14.50
    1368cal

Mile 1 - 9.40
    Mile 2 - 9.11
    Mile 3 - 9.18
    Mile 4 - 9.25
    Mile 5 - 9.24
    Mile 6 - 9.25
    Mile 7 - 9.13
    Mile 8 - 8.41
    Great running Killian !

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

New runner wrote: »
    Great running Killian !

Nice going Killian, I wish at the moment I was more familiar with that.

I have too much time on my hands at present so I'm doing a little PR for Parkrun, come on over and visit with us on http://www.facebook.com/MalahideParkrun to share the Love on Vally's day, and boost our site stats in the process.

Likes/Comments/Shares please

Happy Valentines day everyone!

Can't do tables...
    Total time 1hr14.50
    1368cal

Mile 1 - 9.40
    Mile 2 - 9.11
    Mile 3 - 9.18
    Mile 4 - 9.25
    Mile 5 - 9.24
    Mile 6 - 9.25
    Mile 7 - 9.13
    Mile 8 - 8.41

Good stuff.... If you ever figure out how to put a table on here, please share it!

6.31 miles today @9:16 avg..Sort of running one day on one day off at moment as I ease back into it after injury layoff. Will make my BHAA 2013 debut on Sat also at Garda XC.Anybody here trying it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Probably great running there - if only I could understand that measurement system you use.

What is a mile anyway? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

murphd77 wrote: »
    Probably great running there - if only I could understand that measurement system you use.

Murph...have you been on the sauce again :pac:

murphd77 wrote: »

It's at the end of a smile:) and it ends in a smile:)...well most of the time anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

A bit of a muddled week for me, only got out for 5.5 on Tuesday and felt sore and rough after what has turned out to be a tough to recover from PMP/HMP run Sunday evening. I put Meno's session off until last night as I wanted to get a quality run in rather than having to really fight my way through it as would have been the case. (P+D advice there!) Splits were

Felt grand throughout but whilst I wasn't puffing at all my legs did feel a bit tired. I should say that my hopeful half marathon pace will be about 7.10 a mile, I'm just giving myself a bit of breathing space in these sessions to hopefully be able to maintain about 7.10 for the 13.1 miles.
    Overall things are going good ahead of the Meath half on March 3rd and ultimately Limerick in May also I have to say im really enjoying having a structured midweek session to build my week around, so thanks Meno.
    Ill enjoy a nice gentle recovery run tonight ahead of my first 20 miler of 2013 in the park Saturday morning, wish me luck!

A bit of a muddled week for me, only got out for 5.5 on Tuesday and felt sore and rough after what has turned out to be a tough to recover from PMP/HMP run Sunday evening. I put Meno's session off until last night as I wanted to get a quality run in rather than having to really fight my way through it as would have been the case. (P+D advice there!) Splits were

Felt grand throughout but whilst I wasn't puffing at all my legs did feel a bit tired. I should say that my hopeful half marathon pace will be about 7.10 a mile, I'm just giving myself a bit of breathing space in these sessions to hopefully be able to maintain about 7.10 for the 13.1 miles.
    Overall things are going good ahead of the Meath half on March 3rd and ultimately Limerick in May also I have to say im really enjoying having a structured midweek session to build my week around, so thanks Meno.
    Ill enjoy a nice gentle recovery run tonight ahead of my first 20 miler of 2013 in the park Saturday morning, wish me luck!

Are you up to 20 miles for limerick already :O

Are you up to 20 miles for limerick already :O
    Not yet, if I drag myself around on Saturday morning I will :D

I started doing slow 12 milers from the late December to build a base and have just been adding to it since. Its kind of crept up on me a bit though if im honest, im not really sure if im hitting that mileage too early or what the craic is.

Not yet, if I drag myself around on Saturday morning I will :D

I started doing slow 12 milers from the late December to build a base and have just been adding to it since. Its kind of crept up on me a bit though if im honest, im not really sure if im hitting that mileage too early or what the craic is.

Fair play to you.... It leaves you with a bit of scope for step back weeks anyway!

Fair play to you.... It leaves you with a bit of scope for step back weeks anyway!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, after this weekend the Meath half will be 2 weeks away so I wont do another until the weekend after that providing i don't injure myself in the interim. Very unsure how to structure the long runs after that point though, week on, week off with the 20s until taper Is that the best way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I hope some of you are enjoying the nice weather. It has me looking forward to a bright 14m tomorrow along the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Some advice please? I've a lsr scheduled tmw morning, I'm thinking of including parkrun 5k fast into it about halfway around, would I undo the benefit of the lsr?

Advertisement