Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Some advice please? I've a lsr scheduled tmw morning, I'm thinking of including parkrun 5k fast into it about halfway around, would I undo the benefit of the lsr?

My lack of knowledge on the subject would say go for it, it is surely short enough (3m out of 14) to not make much of a difference. Maybe extend the LSR a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Some advice please? I've a lsr scheduled tmw morning, I'm thinking of including parkrun 5k fast into it about halfway around, would I undo the benefit of the lsr?
    My also limited knowledge would also say go for it!

I have done a race as part of my LSR before, and P&D has several LSR’s with some miles done at PMP. So I can’t see any harm in it. As Killian says, it’s only 3 miles out of 14. It will add a bit of variety to the run too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Walkedit wrote: »

Nice going Killian, I wish at the moment I was more familiar with that.

I have too much time on my hands at present so I'm doing a little PR for Parkrun, come on over and visit with us on http://www.facebook.com/MalahideParkrun to share the Love on Vally's day, and boost our site stats in the process.

Likes/Comments/Shares please

Happy Valentines day everyone!

Do I just show up with a barcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Do I just show up with a barcode?

Yep, You just need to show it at end of race. Enjoy. I'm opting for XC tomorrow rather than Park Run so should be interesting.First time doing it since I was a teenager!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Marlay Park Parkrun now up & online.

www.parkrun.ie/marlay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Personally I don't really see the point in doing both... It'll be a half hearted lsr and a half hearted 5k race. It'll also make the last few miles of the lsr quite challenging. Will you be waiting around for the start of the park run or?

Gavlor wrote: »

Personally I don't really see the point in doing both... It'll be a half hearted lsr and a half hearted 5k race. It'll also make the last few miles of the lsr quite challenging. Will you be waiting around for the start of the park run or?
    Yea makes sense alright. Yea spose I'd we waiting around too.

Yea makes sense alright. Yea spose I'd we waiting around too.

It could be that I'd just hate not giving 100% in a race environment!!

Started doing a bit of pilates tonight to try strengthen my lower back .Just tried one exercise routine called the "Back Burner" It is probably one I will start doing regularly and I'll try others out too but one thing I noticed was directly after it I had this pounding headache which came out of nowhere.

Anyone else here have this experience after trying it(Pilates) for first time?

Forgive me if you think this is an odd question but my OH tells me she used to constantly fall asleep at pilates classes too for some reason so she had to stop doing them as she'd come home afterards too and sleep for a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

RedRunner wrote: »
    Started doing a bit of pilates tonight to try strengthen my lower back .Just tried one exercise routine called the "Back Burner" It is probably one I will start doing regularly and I'll try others out too but one thing I noticed was directly after it I had this pounding headache which came out of nowhere.

Anyone else here have this experience after trying it(Pilates) for first time?

Forgive me if you think this is an odd question but my OH tells me she used to constantly fall asleep at pilates classes too for some reason so she had to stop doing them as she'd come home afterards too and sleep for a couple of hours.

You should ask her at what stage this was happening. I know I was doing Yoga before and had to be woken up at the end of the class but this was because we were doing some relaxation breathing and they told us to lie down while they played relaxing music in the background fo about 10 mins.
    I can't see it happening otherwise since its such an active form of Yoga.

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    You should ask her at what stage this was happening. I know I was doing Yoga before and had to be woken up at the end of the class but this was because we were doing some relaxation breathing and they told us to lie down while they played relaxing music in the background fo about 10 mins.
    I can't see it happening otherwise since its such an active form of Yoga.

Yeah I think actually it was while lying down and relaxing, which I suppose makes sense.

14m done with 4 toward the end at MP, nice morning for it! No parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

14m done with 4 toward the end at MP, nice morning for it! No parkrun.
    Well done I hoping get 14 done tomoro morn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

20 mile LSR done this morning, got it done on pace and tried to do last 5 at PMP
    but didn't hit it, they were a decent bit quicker but not quick enough! I felt tired throughout after two tough sessions in the last few days, but happy to have it in the bag. Any free hugs going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

20 mile LSR done this morning, got it done on pace and tried to do last 5 at PMP
    but didn't hit it, they were a decent bit quicker but not quick enough! I felt tired throughout after two tough sessions in the last few days, but happy to have it in the bag. Any free hugs going?

Great going overpronator, I postponed mine until tomorrow but wish it was over now!!

You can relax for the rest of the weekend now knowing you have a sold week done.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Wow 20 miles in the bag! Well done u! Great job! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well you know what they say, a thank is as good as a hug!

Nice running OP, scary to think some folks are up to 20 miles already, when you think how big a hurdle that was when we were training for DCM, now you're all casual about it!

14 for me this morning, averaged 9:11, a bit slower than were I need to be at the moment, but I was consciously taking it handy as I have a race tomorrow. From now on I really need to work on my pace, I've a long way to go in that regard if I've any hope of 3:30 on Cork.

ncmc wrote: »

Nice running OP, scary to think some folks are up to 20 miles already, when you think how big a hurdle that was when we were training for DCM, now you're all casual about it!

14 for me this morning, averaged 9:11, a bit slower than were I need to be at the moment, but I was consciously taking it handy as I have a race tomorrow. From now on I really need to work on my pace, I've a long way to go in that regard if I've any hope of 3:30 on Cork.

I'll swap you some pace for a few miles???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Done....i'll give you 10 miles for 30 seconds pace ;)

Done....i'll give you 10 miles for 30 seconds pace ;)

So many jokes, so little time :)

• Advertisement

Done, send a minute my way cheers

ncmc wrote: »

Ha, casual! It was the same old slog don't you worry, just a wee bit quicker!

Going for an easy 5 or 6 miles in the Phoenix park tomorrow if anyone wants to join us. 10 am at Popes cross car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

rasher_m wrote: »
    Going for an easy 5 or 6 miles in the Phoenix park tomorrow if anyone wants to join us. 10 am at Popes cross car park.
    Did you see this A?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056882515

Yeah i forgot about that. Thanks C_M :)
    I'll park on the Blackhorse avenue which is pretty close to the park.

4.68 miles today which included 0.65 miles warmup and 4.03 miles BHAA Garda XC in Phoenix park.

Plan was to :

1. Finish Race without aggravating my back - Check:)
    2. Not go too hard and use it as more of a tempo training run - Check:)
    3. Enjoy it as I haven't run a XC race since I was a teenager - Check:)
    4. Not finish last - Check:)

Was a tough outing in tough underfoot conditions but beautiful morning for a run. I really enjoyed it though. Something different to the road running. Well and truly christened my spikes as it was very muddy.

Official Time was 34:32 and finished 199/230 . That was probably as good as an 8 mile easy run on the road in terms of training. But recovered well after it and legs felt fine as did my back. Though I don't think it is 100%, it always seems to feel better after a run.

Will go out for 7 miles easy in Morning as I try build up LSR gradually again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

18 miles done and first 50 mile week complete. I must admit I am really tired. I have been working most evenings this week and getting up early to run and know I'm not getting enough sleep. 6 hours a night at best - I reckon to follow P&D I need to be getting 8 hours as often as possible. Found the last few miles tough going this morning, think I've got my pacing all wrong and am running long runs too fast so really need to work on that. The plan has a 20 miler next weekend but I'm feeling a bit guilty as I'll be away at a hen party and won't do it until the following week :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

13 miles done this morning @ 8.42 pace,first half into the wind was slow but with the wind behind you will always make up the time,still hate running against the wind though,32 done this week so I'm happy with that.:)

Runchick wrote: »
    18 miles done and first 50 mile week complete. I must admit I am really tired. I have been working most evenings this week and getting up early to run and know I'm not getting enough sleep. 6 hours a night at best - I reckon to follow P&D I need to be getting 8 hours as often as possible. Found the last few miles tough going this morning, think I've got my pacing all wrong and am running long runs too fast so really need to work on that. The plan has a 20 miler next weekend but I'm feeling a bit guilty as I'll be away at a hen party and won't do it until the following week :eek: :eek:

This P&D thing better bring great results for you guys. The dedication involved is unreal.... Bordering on lunacy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

16 miles ran @ 8:30 pace along the Grand canal this morning.

It's a lovely place to run with a smooth surface and a good bit of bird life to look at...unfortunately some dumping too but all in all an ideal spot for a run.

At 42 miles that was my step back week with P&D. 48 i think to come next week.

You're right Runchick, lots of sleep required these days.

Advertisement