Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

13k this morning to complete week 3, Hal Higdon Intermediate 2. It's a definite step up, running five days a week - not as much a step of as you P&D'ers but it works for an oul lad like me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

14 miles done this morning along the derry marathon route , was a beautiful morning for it n delighted to have 14 miles done now. Such a difference from running the 5k race last Sunday morning where I'd have needed a boat in parts! Have a blister underneath my middle toe though even though it my usual runners n my wore my Nike anti blister socks!! 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

7.03 miles in 1:03:14 @ 8:59avg pace

Splits: 9:04, 8:56, 9:05, 8:55, 9:01, 8:55, 9:00

A bit blustery at times along Howth Road Coast but happy that pacing was consistent. I think my easy pace is coming down. Would have in around the 9:20-9:40 bracket last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Gavlor wrote: »
    This P&D thing better bring great results for you guys. The dedication involved is unreal.... Bordering on lunacy!

We can't all be born naturals like you Gavlor ;) But yes I would hope effort in equals good results out, mind you the way I'm going I'll just lie down and sleep when I get to the start line :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Met up with the two girls this morning in the park. It was great to have the company. We ran 6.59 miles which was a recovery run for the both of them after their lsrs yesterday, just as well cause I found it tough enough without adding pace to it. My leg is still pretty tight even though I've had two physio sessions in the past two weeks and have been stretching like a maniac.
    At least the distance is increasing for me and I'm getting fitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Runchick wrote: »

We can't all be born naturals like you Gavlor ;) But yes I would hope effort in equals good results out, mind you the way I'm going I'll just lie down and sleep when I get to the start line :eek:

Walking to the kitchen for paracetamol is challenging right now, never mind a 50 mile week :(

rasher_m wrote: »
    Met up with the two girls this morning in the park. It was great to have the company. We ran 6.59 miles which was a recovery run for the both of them after their lsrs yesterday, just as well cause I found it tough enough without adding pace to it. My leg is still pretty tight even though I've had two physio sessions in the past two weeks and have been stretching like a maniac.
    At least the distance is increasing for me and I'm getting fitter.

Meet your brother. Glad to hear your recovery is coming along well.Maybe some foam rolling in addition to the recent physio might help (He says when he doesnt even do enough of it himself:rolleyes:)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Meet your brother. Glad to hear your recovery is coming along well.Maybe some foam rolling in addition to the recent physio might help (He says when he doesnt even do enough of it himself:rolleyes:)

Thanks Redrunner :). I have been foam rolling and I'm gonna buy the stick in the week or two as well. I was telling the girls that I bought this smoothy maker with intentions of making some healthy drinks but it never happened so I'm using the metal rod off it to roll out my muscles :D
    I find the foam roller difficult to use as I have no strength in my arms to lean on them and its hard to get into certain spots with the foam roller.

Your pace is coming along well there, your time has definitely dropped.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Thanks Redrunner :). I have been foam rolling and I'm gonna buy the stick in the week or two as well. I was telling the girls that I bought this smoothy maker with intentions of making some healthy drinks but it never happened so I'm using the metal rod off it to roll out my muscles :D
    I find the foam roller difficult to use as I have no strength in my arms to lean on them and its hard to get into certain spots with the foam roller.

Your pace is coming along well there, your time has definitely dropped.;)
    The stick is worth it's weight in gold!!

The stick is worth it's weight in gold!!

Yeah, everyone who has one seems to say that. I really need to buy one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Walking to the kitchen for paracetamol is challenging right now, never mind a 50 mile week :(
    Oh dear :-(

anyone else finding the sheet is not updating?

I know my total is wrong but it looks like the formula is wrong in that it is missing a column, but can't change it and didnt want ot go mucking about with it. It took my mileage for today though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

4m recovery done at avg 10:36 bringing me to weekly total of 40m! Most I ever did by far. Time for a Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Current PB for 5mile 37:03
    Target Time 36:29

Headed down to Kilmacthomas this morning for a 5 mile race. It was a nice morning out but as Gavlor had suggested to me on his blog earlier in the week that the soccer pitch was not named Alaska Park for no reason, quite a biting breeze blowing around when I arrived.
    Headed off for a 3 mile warm-up. Wasn’t long warming up but standing around waiting for the start I could feel myself getting cold again, tried to keep moving but forgot to bring a bottle of water with me to have a little sip out before the race.
    The course is described as a fast course. The first three quarters of a mile or so were completely downhill followed by a drag of an uphill section for a mile or so.1st mile done in 6:37:D(don’t think I’ve ever ran so fast but for once took advantage of a downhill section).2nd mile I was tucked in behind some of the club runners I knew would finish well inside 35mins but they were gradually pulling away, time 7:25.At the 2.5 mile mark we crossed under the N25 & a sharp uphill section back onto the N25 & caught up with a few runners here & for the next mile or so we all worked together to push each other on. Did get a fly into the eye on this stretch but thankfully he/she was easily removed from the eye,3rd mile 7:15.At this stage I could feel the stomach cramping up but it really was a matter of HTFU & running through it, kept telling myself that it was only a 5mile race:p.4th mile 7:12.After we came off the N25 there was a small uphill section again, I was starting to struggle here but what goes up must come down so pushed on as hard as I could while trying to get a breather just before the next uphill section. Saw a few runners ahead starting to struggle so instead of worrying about running uphill concentrated on catching them, I did pass 3 of the 4 of them & then onto a nice fast downhill section for the last couple of hundred meters or so.Mile 5 7:10
    Total time according to Garmin 35:40
    Official Time 35:31:)
    Absolutely thrilled with the outcome of this race, never really thought I would get close to 36mins for 5 miles not to mind going well under it. To be fair the downhill section at the start was a massive boost, to do a mile (for me anyways) in 6:37 is actually quite scary.
    Just to finish off the day & a nice weeks running a nice gentle 2 mile cool down.

docjewel wrote: »
    Current PB for 5mile 37:03
    Target Time 36:29

Headed down to Kilmacthomas this morning for a 5 mile race. It was a nice morning out but as Gavlor had suggested to me on his blog earlier in the week that the soccer pitch was not named Alaska Park for no reason, quite a biting breeze blowing around when I arrived.
    Headed off for a 3 mile warm-up. Wasn’t long warming up but standing around waiting for the start I could feel myself getting cold again, tried to keep moving but forgot to bring a bottle of water with me to have a little sip out before the race.
    The course is described as a fast course. The first three quarters of a mile or so were completely downhill followed by a drag of an uphill section for a mile or so.1st mile done in 6:37:D(don’t think I’ve ever ran so fast but for once took advantage of a downhill section).2nd mile I was tucked in behind some of the club runners I knew would finish well inside 35mins but they were gradually pulling away, time 7:25.At the 2.5 mile mark we crossed under the N25 & a sharp uphill section back onto the N25 & caught up with a few runners here & for the next mile or so we all worked together to push each other on. Did get a fly into the eye on this stretch but thankfully he/she was easily removed from the eye,3rd mile 7:15.At this stage I could feel the stomach cramping up but it really was a matter of HTFU & running through it, kept telling myself that it was only a 5mile race:p.4th mile 7:12.After we came off the N25 there was a small uphill section again, I was starting to struggle here but what goes up must come down so pushed on as hard as I could while trying to get a breather just before the next uphill section. Saw a few runners ahead starting to struggle so instead of worrying about running uphill concentrated on catching them, I did pass 3 of the 4 of them & then onto a nice fast downhill section for the last couple of hundred meters or so.Mile 5 7:10
    Total time according to Garmin 35:40
    Official Time 35:31:)
    Absolutely thrilled with the outcome of this race, never really thought I would get close to 36mins for 5 miles not to mind going well under it. To be fair the downhill section at the start was a massive boost, to do a mile (for me anyways) in 6:37 is actually quite scary.
    Just to finish off the day & a nice weeks running a nice gentle 2 mile cool down.

Super running

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Brilliant running Doc, well done. All those miles you're putting in are really paying off!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Super running

Thanks folks,Its nice to feel the hard work being done is paying off,one big difference to my running last year is that I was just running,no real speedwork to it or proper recovery to be fair,this year especially with Meno's midweek sessions the speedwork is being done & recovery/easy runs are being done at the relevant paces.
    ncmc wrote: »
    Brilliant running Doc, well done. All those miles you're putting in are really paying off!

Your day will come too,don't worry,Initially I didn't really think at the end of a 60mile week a run like this was possible but a brilliant 1st mile (mostly downhill:D) changed my thinking & gave me a massive boost to push on as hard as I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super running
    +1 Fantastic well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This week is the peak session for the two races so it's all about the Wednesday session. Get through that one and you should all be in great shape to hit your goal for the races

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    | 5 miles easy w strides or hill sprints|rest/cross|session|3 miles recovery|5m easy (strides/hill sprints optional)|rest/cross|LSR 15 miles

Session
    2 mile warm up followed by 6 miles at HMP 2 mile Cool down
    For those doing the 10 miler, 5 miles at Goal pace should suffice

I always find that getting half distance covered at goal pace in training is a great confidence booster. You should probably be getting it tough for the last mile or two on Wednesday, but don't worry you will be able to get through the full distance in Race conditions!!

• Advertisement

I posted this in my log (shamless plug!) A great read on some fella's attempt at sub3

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8722251

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

It's great to log on here and see 2pages of runs, LSR's race reports and general upbeat conversations! Top running folks, well done.

I wussed out on my Friday 8m due to laziness and said I'd do it on Sat, well that didn't happen either but I did get out for a first time on my new bike (bought in preparation for TriAthy in June & to get some xtraining on off days) so my planned 8 miles turned into a 20m cycle. Good fun but strange stiffness from using different muscles.

Ran 8.5m tonight with some friends who are running the Connemarathon half. Tonight was a hill session for them so Dun Laoghaire Dart stn up and down some serious hills around Ballybrack & Killiney, and back to Dun Laoghaire.

That's my taper started for the Malta HM next weekend, a couple of shorties during the week & flights out on Friday. I'll log in & let you know whether it is 20C or just 18C!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I know my total is wrong but it looks like the formula is wrong in that it is missing a column, but can't change it and didnt want ot go mucking about with it. It took my mileage for today though

You two should be sorted now if ye can just give it the once over.

blockic wrote: »
    You two should be sorted now if ye can just give it the once over.

Almost there Blockic. My total is just missing the run of Feb 10th of 5.02 miles.

Thanks for looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Almost there Blockic. My total is just missing the run of Feb 10th of 5.02 miles.

Thanks for looking at it.

Oh a sneaky one from last week too! That's updated now and should be fine going forward.

rasher_m yours should be up to date too.

blockic wrote: »
    Oh a sneaky one from last week too! That's updated now and should be fine going forward.

rasher_m yours should be up to date too.

Thanks Blockic for correcting that. It may have stemmed from me joining the party late. Just have to work on getting those figures up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I posted this in my log (shamless plug!) A great read on some fella's attempt at sub3

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8722251

Great article Gavlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

coalshed wrote: »

Great article Gavlor.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

After 3 weeks of virus rest I pushed the boat back out at weekend with a few easy threadie miles while I was away and 4 road miles at half 6 this morn around 10:30 mpm with no ill effects.

Jez it felt nice to get out, its good to be back, am hoping to run a few times this week 5-6 miles then resume longer runs next

It's great to see some great running being reported, and well done everyonr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Walkedit wrote: »
    After 3 weeks of virus rest I pushed the boat back out at weekend with a few easy threadie miles while I was away and 4 road miles at half 6 this morn around 10:30 mpm with no ill effects.

Jez it felt nice to get out, its good to be back, am hoping to run a few times this week 5-6 miles then resume longer runs next

It's great to see some great running being reported, and well done everyonr
    Welcome back Walkedit! Take it easy this week and hopefully you will be back to full fitness in a couple of weeks.

Advertisement