Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi guys

Just reading the comments about some of the sheet not calculating properly.

Each weeks sheet is basically a duplication of the previous week and then amended for the yearly total to reference the right sheet as a starting point and amendments for new joiners etc As such the weekly totals should have been ok as they were (or should have been) the same formula. I've had a look there have been changes made to the codes as far back as week 2 had been carried over each week. I'm hoping things are not being deliberatly sabotaged and they were mistakes that got carried through by accident.

I've not been looking too much at the sheet other than on a weekly basis (as my own running has being sporadic at best) but I will keep a closer eye on it going forward. If I spot with 100% certainty that it is being deliberatly messed with we can move it onto a password protected private sheet with everyone here being granted access but this would require everyone to register their google accounts and some people may have privacy concerns with this. Fingers crossed though it was a one off set of glitches that got carried through.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I made a decision at the weekend to stop reading & posting more as I get lazy when it comes to logging on etc - I suppose the fact that I havent run in a race since DCM12 might explain it too:eek:
    Some of the runs here over the past few weeks have been super - its hard to believe that some people here did their first matathon in Oct & have kicked on to those levels - fair enough over shorter distances but some very impressive times.
    Anyway on the back of menos advice a few weeks ago I increased the training days to 4 every week as opposed to every second day & I can definately see & feel an improvement.Its a bit of a bi**h some days where you have to run one day after another on tired legs, which I'm not used to but I keep telling myself that I'll only get out of it if what I put into it.Now, I wouldnt be the quickest or lightest in the world but I am realistic & a sub 4 hr marathon would be my ultimate goal - hopefully in 2013.Yesterdays 15 mile lsr on a hilly & windy route was 2.10 & I know for a fact that theres no way I'd have done it that fast a month or 4 months ago for that matter so thanks for the advice meno;).
    The plan is to do the half in Tralee on March 16 & maybe the half in Cork or somewhere during the summer plus a few 10k's & have another go off Dublin in October - I feel theres a small bit of unfinished business to look after there ie the last 4 miles:eek::eek:
    Is there anyone else looking at Tralee for the half or full???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

A Question: mainly for Meno but also anyone who can relate... I ran out of steam around Mile 18 in DCM.. then it was a tormenting stop/start to the line.. finished in 04:16:00, I had ran 1 x 20mile training run without any real issue in preparation.

Now I'm training for Cork.. the long runs are going well... I'm on P&D55 & have 3 x 20M runs in the schedule as far as I remember. I'm aiming for Sub 4 but really want 3:45 & I believe I can do it.
    here is the BUT... a little voice keeps saying 'What if you hit the wall at Mile 18 or 19 or 20 again.... ?'.
    So the Question is: how can I be sure of better endurance next time?
    I'm hoping the answer is: I'm now working off a bigger & better base.. I've much more long runs under my belt etc.
    Also should I (or us all) consider a longer run than 20 miles in prep for these marathons?
    I hear of others doing 22 miles or 24 miles etc? Is this a personal choice?

Any tips much appreciated... to help me dull out the voices!

Thanks, Ste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm hoping the answer is: I'm now working off a bigger & better base.. I've much more long runs under my belt etc.
    Also should I (or us all) consider a longer run than 20 miles in prep for these marathons?

Thanks, Ste

That's the answer :D
    You'll notice that each of the 3 20 mile runs will get easier and easier and by the end of the third one you'll know you won't run out of steam on the day.

In answer to the second question, personal choice. You could always extend the last 20 miler to about 22 miles if you like...

menoscemo wrote: »
    You'll notice that each of the 3 20 mile runs will get easier and easier and by the end of the third one you'll know you won't run out of steam on the day.

In answer to the second question, personal choice. You could always extend the last 20 miler to about 22 miles if you like...

You're on the ball. Music to my ears. Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

here is the BUT... a little voice keeps saying 'What if you hit the wall at Mile 18 or 19 or 20 again.... ?'.

I was the exact same as you Stephen. Struggled over the last few miles in DCM.

And that is a big voice in my head!! I'm doing P&D also, but instead of three 20 miles I'm planning on doing 2 x 21m and 1x22m just to give me more confidence going into the race more than anything else. The majority of it is mental after all I suspect, in my case anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Stephen one more thing on the above....and its my baby:D;), make sure you are doing the LSRs at the correct pace for you so at about 9.45 - 10.15 for a 3.45 - sub 4 marathon...
    don't worry if you have the belief that you can do it, then thats half the battle!!!

blockic wrote: »

I was the exact same as you Stephen. Struggled over the last few miles in DCM.

And that is a big voice in my head!! I'm doing P&D also, but instead of three 20 miles I'm planning on doing 2 x 21m and 1x22m just to give me more confidence going into the race more than anything else. The majority of it is mental after all I suspect, in my case anyway!
    Thanks blockic, glad I'm not the only one with this tormenting thought! I think I will do th same for the longest runs!

menoscemo wrote: »

Not being an expert or anything but I think that confidence in your own ability (within reason) will have a lot to do with they way we will run & finish another marathon.We all know where we made mistakes in DCM12 & where we can improve, be it core training, increasing weekly or lsr mileage & once we work on those we'll know that we have the work done & what do when the pressure comes on. I know that when I run up a hill after 10 miles on a lsr & I feel wrecked half way up that all I have to do is to get to the top & I'll be back breathing ok'ish after 100 - 200 yards. When I got to the top of Roebuck Hill last Oct & the pressure was mounting not alone did I start to cave in physically I definately went mentally as well - fair enough its at 20 odd miles as opposed to 10 butthe mind games started & i didnt have the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

docrock wrote: »

Not being an expert or anything but I think that confidence in your own ability (within reason) will have a lot to do with they way we will run & finish another marathon.We all know where we made mistakes in DCM12 & where we can improve, be it core training, increasing weekly or lsr mileage & once we work on those we'll know that we have the work done & what do when the pressure comes on. I know that when I run up a hill after 10 miles on a lsr & I feel wrecked half way up that all I have to do is to get to the top & I'll be back breathing ok'ish after 100 - 200 yards. When I got to the top of Roebuck Hill last Oct & the pressure was mounting not alone did I start to cave in physically I definately went mentally as well - fair enough its at 20 odd miles as opposed to 10 butthe mind games started & i didnt have the answers.

I've said it on here before about the importance of the mind. Doing 3 20 milers instead of 1 will certainly help the legs but if you have any doubt about hammering thru those last 6 or so miles then I guarantee you will struggle and suffer.

Get this into your head: you will have 4 or 500 more miles, better miles in your legs than you did last October, that last 10k will be a doddle for you.

And I would definitely do at least one 22 miler for the sole reason that it will be one less doubt in your mind on race day.

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Stephen one more thing on the above....and its my baby:D;), make sure you are doing the LSRs at the correct pace for you so at about 9.45 - 10.15 for a 3.45 - sub 4 marathon...
    don't worry if you have the belief that you can do it, then thats half the battle!!!
    Thanks younganne, good point. I did make that mistake for dcm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Younganne wrote: »
    make sure you are doing the LSRs at the correct pace for you so at about 9.45 - 10.15 for a 3.45 - sub 4 marathon...

You're living proof that it works! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

A Question: mainly for Meno but also anyone who can relate... I ran out of steam around Mile 18 in DCM.. then it was a tormenting stop/start to the line.. finished in 04:16:00, I had ran 1 x 20mile training run without any real issue in preparation.

Now I'm training for Cork.. the long runs are going well... I'm on P&D55 & have 3 x 20M runs in the schedule as far as I remember. I'm aiming for Sub 4 but really want 3:45 & I believe I can do it.

Thanks, Ste

Well I ran a 22 miler and a few 20 milers as well plus I ran my lsrs slowly etc and I still dropped my pace at 20 miles. I knew I would though. I was following the 4.15 pacers until 20 then finished in 4.22.
    I think my confidence would come from my half marathon a month before the marathon. I would feel fairly confident about finishing in say 4 hrs if I ran my half under 1.50. I mean if I'm hitting 1.55 then I'm not suddenly going to gain a great speed in a months time. My half for the Dublin marathon was 1.55.56 which when compared to my mar time makes perfect sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'm reading all these answers with great interest.Thanks Stephen for asking this question. The same thing happended to me at mile 19/20 in each of last two DCMs so this year I am searching again for the answer to this last 10k conundrum.

In terms of training I did 1x20 miler the first year. I did two last year as well as 3 x HM races in lead up to DCM. i followed a plan last year but missed a month worth of training due to injury. That probably didnt help either. I am choosing to do three different things this year to make that 3.45-4.00 band.

1. Go into training plan with a much bigger mileage base
    2. Do P&D plan <55 rather than HH INter1
    3. Do more hills in LSRs

On top of that..am joining a club.

I'm hoping that will do it so I guess we'll be having a lot of conversations down in Raheny about your progress in training and eventually your sub 4 Cork experience:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

RedRunner wrote: »
    I'm reading all these answers with great interest.Thanks Stephen for asking this question. The same thing happended to me at mile 19/20 in each of last two DCMs so this year I am searching again for the answer to this last 10k conundrum.

In terms of training I did 1x20 miler the first year. I did two last year as well as 3 x HM races in lead up to DCM. i followed a plan last year but missed a month worth of training due to injury. That probably didnt help either. I am choosing to do three different things this year to make that 3.45-4.00 band.

1. Go into training plan with a much bigger mileage base
    2. Do P&D plan <55 rather than HH INter1
    3. Do more hills in LSRs

On top of that..am joining a club.

I'm hoping that will do it so I guess we'll be having a lot of conversations down in Raheny about your progress in training and eventually your sub 4 Cork experience:)

LizzyC swears the P&D plan got her under the 4hrs.

A friend who ran a sub 3 says it was all the hill work. He would sprint up Mobhi road and do repeats every Wed night. He was doing all his other runs with his buddies and none of them ran under the 3 hrs cause none of them done the hill work. He also said he never ran over 5 days a week or over 50 miles a week.

[Quote=rasher_m;
    A friend who ran a sub 3 says it was all the hill work. He also said he never ran over 5 days a week or over 50 miles a week.[/Quote]

My hero :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Hi guys

Just reading the comments about some of the sheet not calculating properly.

Each weeks sheet is basically a duplication of the previous week and then amended for the yearly total to reference the right sheet as a starting point and amendments for new joiners etc As such the weekly totals should have been ok as they were (or should have been) the same formula. I've had a look there have been changes made to the codes as far back as week 2 had been carried over each week. I'm hoping things are not being deliberatly sabotaged and they were mistakes that got carried through by accident.

I've not been looking too much at the sheet other than on a weekly basis (as my own running has being sporadic at best) but I will keep a closer eye on it going forward. If I spot with 100% certainty that it is being deliberatly messed with we can move it onto a password protected private sheet with everyone here being granted access but this would require everyone to register their google accounts and some people may have privacy concerns with this. Fingers crossed though it was a one off set of glitches that got carried through.
    I don't know about others but I recently had to change to google drive as I cudnt move the sheet n asked for advice on here n someone very kindly told me to download google drive ( for mobile) n it's great, however initially I found it really easy to make a mistake n I think I may even have deleted something at 1 stage , certainly not on purpose, n I sincerely apologise if I did! But it is so easy to do, I've thankfully got the hang of this new way now but still have to b so careful on a mobile to not make mistake. Certainly don't believe anyone would deliberately mess it up! I for 1 am certainly enjoying seeing the miles increase as I've never logged mileage before n think its great n very motivating! Thanks million!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Thanks, Ste
    Stephen I'm certainly no expert but before DCM 12 we did 4 x 22 miles, the last 22 I found so tough but it give me the confidence to know that on the day it was only going to me a few extra miles! Agree with other comments hill training helps n a lot of it physiological too. And training at correct pace very important , not over training! I know a lot people push for great time on their LSR but it not all about pushing hard. A big thing we were told re the marathon is " u can't bank time" meaning that try for negative splits or equal. If u plan on doing 1st half quicker in order to leave some reserve time u will def suffer come mile 20! Start slower n build up n I think it so true! Believe in yourself n as long as u realistic , ie based on ur half marathon prior to marathon u will do great!

Had a recovery run tonight so I had plenty time to think about things. (btw these are my favourite runs now! :D)

It's incredible how far we have all come in just the past 6 months. Even looking back on the spreadsheet, the difference is mind-blowing. Midweek runs came into my head tonight and I had a flashback to one night last August/September. I remember it vividly, running along the same path at roughly the same time of day, the required distance that night was 8 slow miles, the longest midweek run I was required to do for DCM with HHN2.:) I even remember that day in work, dreading it and thinking about how was I going to run such a long distance after work. The evenings were even bright!!:rolleyes: 6 months is such a short length of time, yet enough time to make such a big difference from what seemed like something so tough then, seems just routine now.

It is just crazy looking back...I don't even feel like it's same person back then. Its amazing what running can do for you...when the runners are on but also when they are off.

Best of all we get to share it all on here! Even if we do look like lunatics to the rest of the outside world!!:)

So for those of you that might feel that the goal is a million miles away right now, it might not be so far away after all. Just keep putting in the work and it will pay off.

And for those of us on P&D, the work better bloody pay off!! :D

In summary, keep up the great work!!!:)

(and no, I have not been drinking! Although I could get drunk on fumes at this stage!! :pac:)

Had a recovery run tonight so I had plenty time to think about things. (btw these are my favourite runs now! :D)

It's incredible how far we have all come in just the past 6 months. Even looking back on the spreadsheet, the difference is mind-blowing. Midweek runs came into my head tonight and I had a flashback to one night last August/September. I remember it vividly, running along the same path at roughly the same time of day, the required distance that night was 8 slow miles, the longest midweek run I was required to do for DCM with HHN2.:) I even remember that day in work, dreading it and thinking about how was I going to run such a long distance after work. The evenings were even bright!!:rolleyes: 6 months is such a short length of time, yet enough time to make such a big difference from what seemed like something so tough then, seems just routine now.

It is just crazy looking back...I don't even feel like it's same person back then. Its amazing what running can do for you...when the runners are on but also when they are off.

Best of all we get to share it all on here! Even if we do look like lunatics to the rest of the outside world!!:)

So for those of you that might feel that the goal is a million miles away right now, it might not be so far away after all. Just keep putting in the work and it will pay off.

(and no, I have not been drinking! Although I could get drunk on fumes at this stage!! :pac:)

I'd a similar moment last week! I remember dreading the mid week 8 miles and now it's a diddle. So it has to reflect in the results for us all at some stage this year!
    Come on blockic you'd had one or two?! Ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Speaking of drink, it's probably a no-brainer to say cutting it down is one of the keys to hitting your goal time, whether it's 3 hours or 4 hours. (If your goal is 5 hrs you can probably have the odd few pints).

It's the elephant in the room really, isn't it? Even in the build-up to DCM 2012 a lot of people posted about missing long runs and even entire races because of the booze.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Speaking of drink, it's probably a no-brainer to say cutting it down is one of the keys to hitting your goal time, whether it's 3 hours or 4 hours. (If your goal is 5 hrs you can probably have the odd few pints).

It's the elephant in the room really, isn't it? Even in the build-up to DCM 2012 a lot of people posted about missing long runs and even entire races because of the booze.

Take that back!

Yea it's a big factor I'm sure. I know I get drunk a bit easier now & it takes 2 days to recover. I've really cut down.. have the odd beer at home and glass of wine in the Eve at weekend... but a night out is just an obscable these days. But it's good to let the hair down now & then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I was going to say booze isn't much of a factor for me...but then I remembered that the only run I've missed recently was abandoned due to two guinness and a gin and tonic after the wonderful Ireland v England match ten days ago :)

I have pretty much cut out drink altogether since the month before DCM. It is a big factor that's for sure but at the same time it does not have to be cut out completely.

I've had 4 drinks since the turn of the year :eek:, this changing from going out weekly back last summer. I only go out now for big life events/occasions. Going out for the sake of it is long gone! When you have runs both Saturday and Sunday the partying just has to take a back seat. Particularlywhen they are LSRs.

The one good thing is that its now a cheap night for me when I go out and I'm getting plenty of abuse! :D Life of an athlete I guess!

(Just so happens that I have to bring forward my LSR this week as I'm out saturday night! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well said Blockic! You moved this stony grey Monaghan heart

I think it’s a good point actually, it’s sort of a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees, you get so caught up in the plan that you’re following and your next race or upcoming goal, that sometimes we need to take a step back and see how far we’ve come, rather than just concentrating on how far we have to go.

I don’t know if I entirely agree with this, I do agree that it’s not a good idea to be going out on the tear every weekend, but I do think it’s ok to have a few drinks, relax and forget about running every now and again! I think when the plans get tough, it can feel like you’re living, eating, sleeping and drinking running and I think for sanity reasons it’s nice to get out for a night and forget about it for a while! That said, I wouldn’t go out that often at the best of times and I probably did cut down a bit in the weeks leading up to the marathon. It’s probably more of an issue for people who would normally be out every weekend.

Thanks, Ste
    I’ve been thinking about this overnight Stephen, I suppose there are a lot of theories about overcoming or not hitting the wall. I think it is both mental and physical, the physical issues are probably easier overcome to be honest, the mental side is a bit more difficult! I think with Cork, you will have a lot more miles under the belt and that will give you confidence. You have done the distance in the past and again, that will give you confidence that you can do it again.

I didn’t hit the wall in DCM and there are a few things I credit with that; I had a time target that I knew was doable, in hindsight, I probably could have pushed on a bit, but I’m glad I didn’t because I didn’t hit the wall and enjoyed the entire experience.

Hi5 tabs, I was a late comer to these (I was very bold and only used them for the first time on the day!) but I found them brilliant, I never experienced thirst and didn’t experience the muscle seize up that I experienced in some of my longer runs in training that I now blame on lack of salt.

The main thing for me was that I did a 15 mile race (Cork to Cobh) 4 weeks before DCM and ran it at PMP or a little faster. I had had a stinker of a LSR the previous week and that had really dented my confidence, but running that race at PMP, really boosted my confidence a huge amount. I felt so fresh at the end, that for the first time, I felt that 26.2 miles at that pace was really doable. I think the PMP runs in P&D will replicate that to a certain extent, but maybe you could arrange a race for a few weeks before Cork and run it at PMP?

Of course, all this is just in my very humble opinion, I certainly am no expert, but that’s just what worked for me.

^^^^^
    J, I think you're crazy! There is definitely more to life than running/preparing for running. I'll take the month of April off the sauce for limerick on may bank holiday but apart from that it'll be business as usual. I'll make sure I can have one night at the weekend whereby I can have a night out or a few beers/wine and DVD with herself at home.

I'm not sure which is more difficult.... Running a marathon or getting thru 'man's week' aka Cheltenham festival!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Haven't touched a drink since New Years Day, big blowout planned though for evening of 9th of March. That should consist of about 2 Smirnoff Ice and me going to bed!!

booze, what booze, I still have beer in the house since Christmas & the bottles of spirits & wine will be so old theyl be worth a fortune by the time I get around to them:eek::eek: I cant say that I really miss it either as the hangovers get worse the older you get, a wedding or social is a two day recovery or me these days. It certainly takes over your social life to an extent but the strange thing about it is that I have more time to do things now than I had when I played other sports because I can run in the morning or evening where as most other sports are on during the day.

As a person said to me lately "anyone who goes out running more than twice a week or runs more than 5 miles in the one session has a problem"

Houston we have a problem:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

This running has definitely made me practically cut out the booze. I actually said to my husband on Sunday that I much prefer feeling tired from an LSR than having a hangover which is so true and I would never have thought would happen a year ago ;) I've a boozy hen party this weekend so will miss my LSR and actually feel guilty about it but in a way I think getting hammered with the girls will do me just as much good :P But overall the booze doesn't come in to the picture any more, it feels like a lifestyle change rather than a short term shift though. I agree with Blockic's post - that I have changed with the runners on and off :D

Advertisement