Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

rasher_m wrote: »

Yeah, thats where they train isn't it...I remember they were there when we were as well but I didn't spot any of them. I like Johnny Sexton myself :D

Seen him to, another big man. Its an impressive place Carton House, it was a valentines surprise for herself and i think i scored some running brownie points with it. She loves her golf to so thats extra.

blockic wrote: »

Yeah, I hear the changes there won't be ready in time for the Irish Open either so they have to switch back to the Monty course.

Heading to Esker with the lads across the water in the Golf forum on Saturday. Love the course, ran there once before ;) Very undulating so defo not a PB course! :) Weathers looking dodge though!

One of my favourite courses, my cousin is a member there so have played it loads. If your golf is like your running your a 'bandit'!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

tang1 wrote: »
    Seen him to, another big man. Its an impressive place Carton House, it was a valentines surprise for herself and i think i scored some running brownie points with it. She loves her golf to so thats extra.

None of Irish guys even come close to the French guys...they look massive but as lean as runners if you get me.
    Right I'll leave it at that :D
    Sounds like you won all round. You'll have to treat her more often now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

tang1 wrote: »
    With all the talk of alcohol it turns out i had genuine reason to have a drink tonight, my wife got a promotion at work so i had to help her celebrate. Got just over 5 miles in earlier so don't feel to guilty. Does 18 holes of golf count as cross training?? Played this morning in Carton House, lovely morning to do anything. Weighed myself this morning for first time in ages, down to 79kgs, thats a 10kg loss on Christmas according to my diary, delighted with that.

Yes, nice track apparently. Haven't played there myself though.

RedRunner wrote: »

Yes, nice track apparently. Haven't played there myself though.

It is, have played both courses, O'Meara was a bit un-kept today around the edges. Sanded tee-boxes, loads of GUR but it was a nice walk, plenty of wildlife & stuff around. Hotel is well worth a stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    Decided to take another rest day after hurting my knee at Sunday's race. It's pretty ok now, but after a hectic finish to last week, I don't want to push it too much. Will make up the mileage later in the week.

I'm reading a great book, it's called Born to Run by Christopher Mc Dougall, it's a great read. It's about a low mileage runner who goes to a sports therapist about a mysterious pain in his foot, and ends up with him following the trail of an ancient Mexican tribe who can run hundreds of miles at a time, hungover, in sandals while barely breaking a sweat! It's a real rollicking read and it makes you long to be out running! Also there's a scene at the start were he's getting his gait analysed that had me laughing out loud.

Would highly recommend it, might be a good audio book for those that listen while doing their LSR's.

Thanks for the tip ncmc, audiobook currently downloading :D Hope your knee's better today :)

Lesson in measuring heart rate well and truly learned today. 12 miles this morning at 9.17mpm - so double the distance and much faster pace than yesterday - and heart rate average 154 - lower than yesterday - go figure! So thanks to you guys for words of wisdom. HR is something to measure over time and is affected by many factors. I used to laugh at runners who got into technical things like HR and now I'm intrigued - dam you running - turning me into a geek :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Runchick wrote: »
    Lesson in measuring heart rate well and truly learned today. 12 miles this morning at 9.17mpm - so double the distance and much faster pace than yesterday - and heart rate average 154 - lower than yesterday - go figure! So thanks to you guys for words of wisdom. HR is something to measure over time and is affected by many factors. I used to laugh at runners who got into technical things like HR and now I'm intrigued - dam you running - turning me into a geek :eek:

Can you pop up a link to yesterdays activity where the HR was 159 for 10 min+/mile?
    Problem is that Garmin HRM's are notoriously unreliable so one of the most important things is to know when to ignore them...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Can you pop up a link to yesterdays activity where the HR was 159 for 10 min+/mile?
    Problem is that Garmin HRM's are notoriously unreliable so one of the most important things is to know when to ignore them...

I've tried to copy the HR graph but can't figure out how to! (not comfortable with posting the whole thing as runs start and finish at my front door - not that anyone's interested but you never know ;)). Looking at the 2 graphs yesterdays was all over the place - spiking at over 200 bpm at times, whereas today's was pretty much constant throughout. So should I ignore the spikey graph when I know the effort was the same throughout the run? Do you have issues with garmin HRMs?

I've tried to copy the HR graph but can't figure out how to! (not comfortable with posting the whole thing as runs start and finish at my front door - not that anyone's interested but you never know ;)). Looking at the 2 graphs yesterdays was all over the place - spiking at over 200 bpm at times, whereas today's was pretty much constant throughout. So should I ignore the spikey graph when I know the effort was the same throughout the run? Do you have issues with garmin HRMs?

Yeah, lots of issues, what you describe about spkes etc happens all the time and messes up the av HR. You just learnt to ignore HR on days like that.

Sounds like todays reading was an accurate one. If you average 154 for 12 miles at 9:17/mile then I'd imagine that 10 min/mile would be 140 or lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Just found out Dublin is definitely out for me this year, got a family do the 28th which I can't avoid.

Anyone suggest an alternative (ideally September marathon, either home or abroad) with the following characteristics:

- Not too hilly
    - Not too small (participant wise), or if it is small I would want it well organised
    - Preferably with a few of this group also doing it, or at least a few boards contributors, OH won't be travelling so solo on this one.

Thanks!

Yeah, lots of issues, what you describe about spkes etc happens all the time and messes up the av HR. You just learnt to ignore HR on days like that.

Sounds like todays reading was an accurate one. If you average 154 for 12 miles at 9:17/mile then I'd imagine that 10 min/mile would be 140 or lower.

Fantastic, I'm very happy with that, maybe I am getting fitter after all ;-)

miguelk wrote: »
    Just found out Dublin is definitely out for me this year, got a family do the 28th which I can't avoid.

Anyone suggest an alternative (ideally September marathon, either home or abroad) with the following characteristics:

- Not too hilly
    - Not too small (participant wise), or if it is small I would want it well organised
    - Preferably with a few of this group also doing it, or at least a few boards contributors, OH won't be travelling so solo on this one.

Thanks!

Amsterdam is meant to be great and (obviously) flat.

Also heard good things about Budapest

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Some seriously great running going on around here, I read in awe.
    Am plugging away in February after being out for Nov/Dec/Jan with my dodgy knee.
    Got three pain free runs in last week and aiming for 4 this week. It's just a pleasure to be able to get out and run, especially on a beautiful morning like this morning. Seeing as I can't target any races until the fitness comes back I'm just going to enjoy each run for the pleasure of being able to run. Anyone who hasn't gotten bitten by this bug just does not know what they're missing. I've a serious addiction to running endorphins! Just wanted to check in to say I'm still alive and trying to claw my way back into some mileage and am following all your progress with interest (and envy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Welcome back Deedee! I think you’re not the only one feeling a spring in their step this week, I haven’t even been out for a run yet this week, yet the spring weather and extra brightness in the evenings is really perking up my mood and has me chomping at the bit for running in daylight when the clocks go forward. In reality, it’s still dark by the time I get a chance to get out running, but the long evenings feel within striking distance now!

Amsterdam is meant to be great and (obviously) flat.

Also heard good things about Budapest

Cheers - made me realise there is a severe shortage of Autumn marathons in Ireland.

Mooathon seems dodgy, and not well organised...(and
    Then you have longford (may consider that), Dingle (would do it but only doing 1 marathon this year and I'll be pushing for a faster course for pb target) and thats about it, pretty crap!

In other news, got my session done today, did 6.55 at PHMP so great confidence booster, anyone else tackle it?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

I got session in today too: 6 miles at HMP - last mile was really hard - felt sick afterwards - have been out for a week so that probably didn't help. Don't know if I could keep that pace up for 13 miles...

Willie42 wrote: »
    I got session in today too: 6 miles at HMP - last mile was really hard - felt sick afterwards - have been out for a week so that probably didn't help. Don't know if I could keep that pace up for 13 miles...
    I always find that getting half distance covered at goal pace in training is a great confidence booster. You should probably be getting it tough for the last mile or two on Wednesday, but don't worry you will be able to get through the full distance in Race conditions!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

^^^^^^^

Bah Hum & bug

Edit: maybe i should read the post properly next time!!

* Tips hat and backs out the door

Hi runchick,

A few things to try from advice I have received from here and another thread:

-Try lick the skin contacts before putting the strap on,conducts better than water.
    -make sure strap is not too loose
    -get rid of static with a bounce drier sheet (affects readings)
    -don't pay too much attention to the hr for first couple of miles
    -try get used to what a certain hr "feels" like and then glance every so often. If you see a 200 etc ignore.

and lastly, replace water/licking with electrode gel.

or google dc rainmaker heart rate monitor for his article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My old Garmin strap was giving me mad data - hitting my high HR limit running down hill, heart rates over my max, etc. Clinically I was either a human miracle or dead.

Having tried changing battery, re-pairing, etc. I found that changing the strap for a new one solved it. I guess they wear out. Iirc YoungAnne had problems with her strap too - might be interesting to see what fixed it for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

This is how we use HR training in our running club, just thought it might b interesting for some people anxious to know more about heart rates!

http://www.inishowenac.com/images/Training/HeartRateZones.pdf
    I don't know about others but I find at moment I'm getting bit obsessed about getting miles done to log as I've never logged them before and I'm really enjoying seeing the total adding up, however a friend pointed out to me yesterday that she felt I was overdoing it as our schedule gives hard sessions of either hill r speed on a Tuesday eve n progressive tempo building from 75% to 90% for 25-35 mins after doing 10-15 mins warm up n same as cool down after on a thurs therefore I should b recovering on a Wednesday(, n day before long run n day after long run ) which is 50mins max at 50-65% which means only 4-5 miles really ( for me anyway)! Apparently it not recovery if doing more than 50 mins n above 65% HRR! Just feel maybe people might need to consider this ( especially those following P&D plans as they big milage!) incase they over training by doing too many miles and if like me it's mile total they worrying about I feel I doing them too fast in order to get the miles in n running too long for body to recover for tough session. Be interested in hearing what others think! Can all be so confusing!!!

I agree with you new runner and have been having similar thoughts. Recovery runs for me are now up to 6 miles so over an hour at a slow pace. I think it was ecoli who said on here a while ago that recovery runs should be much shorter especially for those of us who havent been running for very long. Makes me question if I am actually recovering properly. Interested to read what other folk think...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I agree with you new runner and have been having similar thoughts. Recovery runs for me are now up to 6 miles so over an hour at a slow pace. I think it was ecoli who said on here a while ago that recovery runs should be much shorter especially for those of us who havent been running for very long. Makes me question if I am actually recovering properly. Interested to read what other folk think...

I cap my recoveries at 45 mins.keep short and sweet but effective. There was a good debate on recovery runs distance/time over on Krusty's log last week (I think!) :)

Definitely agree that recovery runs need to be both:
    a) the slowest runs of on your schedule
    b) the shortest run on your schedule.

Conventional wisdom says that you should run 40-50 minutes at maximum on a recovery run. That's why I always have the recovery runs on my schedules here down as 3-4 miles at most.

For those worried about getting mileage done, you can always do 2 seperate recovery runs in 1 day and still get in 6 -10 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good point Meno, to separate and do 2.

My guilty pleasure is a 7m run that is supposed to be recovery, but is in effect an easy run. Not enough short recovery runs, too many 'longer' easy runs.
    Leads to fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Recovery runs are new to me, I've been doing just under 4 miles at a 10;30 pace... Seems to be working well. Handy distance and pace for a before work run! Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

blockic wrote: »

I cap my recoveries at 45 mins.keep short and sweet but effective. There was a good debate on recovery runs distance/time over on Krusty's log last week (I think!) :)
    Thanks blockie , must take a look at that!

mmm think I'll keep my recovery runs to 4.5 miles. If I get the chance to get out again later in the day I will but won't worry too much about it. Going by what you folks have to say making sure you recover is more important than running x number of miles. P&D is probably designed with runners in mind who are much faster than me and therefore can cover those distances in much shorter times :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No running yesterday or today, have manflu:mad::mad: Also have hurt my left knee, its sore when i sit down with my legs bent, ok when i straighten them. Its sore walking up & down the stairs to. Dont know where its come out of cause i dont feel i hurt it while running:confused::confused:.

Advertisement