Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    No running yesterday or today, have manflu:mad::mad: Also have hurt my left knee, its sore when i sit down with my legs bent, ok when i straighten them. Its sore walking up & down the stairs to. Dont know where its come out of cause i dont feel i hurt it while running:confused::confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

ncmc wrote: »

I wouldn't normally be into running books (I spend enough time thinking about it as it is) but this is really entertaining and you definitely don't need to be a runner to enjoy it. If you like travelogue/adventure type books then you'll love it. The running part is a bonus!

I got it at Xmas too and really enjoyed it, and it bigs up the whole barefoot running vibe and says just how many gazillion dollars are in shoe biz

After I came across some posts by? I one of the real fast guys on boards who seemed to be moving that way and away from orthotics!

I'd waited a year to get new kayano 18s and then wondered if €€€ shoes are a sham? Still i bought them so I will wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Walkedit wrote: »
    I got it at Xmas too and really enjoyed it, and it bigs up the whole barefoot running vibe and says just how many gazillion dollars are in shoe biz

After I came across some posts by? I one of the real fast guys on boards who seemed to be moving that way and away from orthotics!

I'd waited a year to get new kayano 18s and then wondered if €€€ shoes are a sham? Still i bought them so I will wea them.
    It’s gas isn’t it, I wanted to tear off my shoes and go running barefoot like a Neanderthal! But then I looked outside and thought it looked a bit cold and wet, so I’ve decided to stick to my trainers for the moment :pac:

He is very persuasive though, although most of his points seem to be about running trails rather than running hours and hours on roads and pavements. However I am tempted to go for a more minimalist shoe, there are some interesting points on this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056778924

I really need a new pair of trainers, but am wary of rocking the boat before Cork, but after that, I intend to ease off on the mileage for a few months, so I might consider making a transition over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »
    mmm think I'll keep my recovery runs to 4.5 miles. If I get the chance to get out again later in the day I will but won't worry too much about it. Going by what you folks have to say making sure you recover is more important than running x number of miles. P&D is probably designed with runners in mind who are much faster than me and therefore can cover those distances in much shorter times :rolleyes:
    With u on that Runchick! I def going to try n reduce mileage on my recovery runs too n make effort to keep HR low, hopefully that will mean more power, strength n speed for the tough work outs n long run!
    I did my progressive tempo run this eve and ended up doing 10.5 miles , have my long run planned for Sunday morn, hopefully 15 miles, so think ill take next 2 days off, if not the most ill do is a short ( very slow) recovery tomoro!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

No running yesterday or today, have manflu:mad::mad: Also have hurt my left knee, its sore when i sit down with my legs bent, ok when i straighten them. Its sore walking up & down the stairs to. Dont know where its come out of cause i dont feel i hurt it while running:confused::confused:.
    Hope u feel better soon! :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

It could be related to the flu tang, it can throw up all sorts of aches and pains. Wait to see if it's still sore when you get back running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

pconn062 wrote: »

It could be related to the flu tang, it can throw up all sorts of aches and pains. Wait to see if it's still sore when you get back running.

Hopefully your right, its eased somewhat today thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

14 miler done tonight..found it toughish after a session last night. That's 43 miles so far for the week and for the one and only ever time I'm ahead of docjewel!:D That's pretty much me done for the week now...i'm off for a pint!! :pac:

blockic wrote: »
    14 miler done tonight..found it toughish after a session last night. That's 43 miles so far for the week and for the one and only ever time I'm ahead of docjewel!:D That's pretty much me done for the week now...i'm off for a pint!! :pac:

Such a show off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

With all these marathons your going running this year it won't be long till you'll be top of the mileage charts on your own.

Great running over the last few days by the way.
    The rest will do you the world of good now to let the body recharge before the half marathon next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Got the midweek session done and it was a tough one for me this week. Id been feeling great until this week at HMP in the interval sessions but literally from step number 1 after the warm up I was feeling tired and lethargic, legs like lead! I hit my times ok but wasn't feeling good for the first 3 miles. I actually felt alot better for the final 3 miles and finished quite strong but I think I may have to revise my goal pace by a wee bit. I don't know if the training is catching up on me a bit but tonight wasn't great for the confidence! Recovery run tomorrow and an extremely plodding slow run on Saturday will hopefully set me right!

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah, thats where they train isn't it...I remember they were there when we were as well but I didn't spot any of them. I like Johnny Sexton myself :D

I'm liking this talk of Carton house, heading there for Dinner & Overnite on Sat, was thinking of an LSR somewhere's around there on Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. I'm pretty much a non drinker so I figured Sun AM before breekie might be cool, and back indoors before everyone else surfaces!

any good place to run just heading straight out from hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I'm liking this talk of Carton house, heading there for Dinner & Overnite on Sat, was thinking of an LSR somewhere's around there on Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. I'm pretty much a non drinker so I figured Sun AM before breekie might be cool, and back indoors before everyone else surfaces!

If you go out the main gate you'll have the Royal canal directly in front of you.

You could do an out and back on that turning left for leixlip / city direction and right for maynooth.

There may be muddy patches...best surface in leixlip direction.

Seen loads out running around the golf course the other day, seemed like there was walking/running track there. I'm sure if you ask checking in they will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Nobody likes a show off Blockic :P

Seriously though, that's some great running this week. Enjoy a nice relaxing week off.

Just on what you were saying earlier in the week about how far we've all come, was just looking back at my training log and this time last year, I was struggling to run 5 miles :eek:

Also, my highest mileage month to date was August last year with 133 miles done, I am going to beat that in February with only being on week 4 of P&D!

Good for the confidence to look back on this time last year, it's amazing what difference a year can make.

coalshed wrote: »
    If you go out the main gate you'll have the Royal canal directly in front of you.

You could do an out and back on that turning left for leixlip / city direction and right for maynooth.

There may be muddy patches...best surface in leixlip direction.
    Seen loads out running around the golf course the other day, seemed like there was walking/running track there. I'm sure if you ask checking in they will help you.

Thanks for suggestions guys, sounds perfect Sat afternoon down the canal - then massage at Spa (my non drinking treat!) and dawn Sunday recovery run around the golf course.

rasher_m wrote: »
    LizzyC swears the P&D plan got her under the 4hrs.

A friend who ran a sub 3 says it was all the hill work. He would sprint up Mobhi road and do repeats every Wed night. He was doing all his other runs with his buddies and none of them ran under the 3 hrs cause none of them done the hill work. He also said he never ran over 5 days a week or over 50 miles a week.

Getting back out running week has been good so far 18 miles (4,5,6,3) done all easy just getting legs going again, weekend still to come!. Taking your point above Rasher I've decided that I need to make Mobhi road a regular part of my life it joins a normal route I do so it was included in the 6 miles - needless to say I was not sprinting up it - YET

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Such a show off!!
    ncmc wrote: »
    Nobody likes a show off Blockic :P

Ah just said I'd try and give ye some more motivation to get out!! :D

Looking forward to hearing about all the great LSRs at the weekend, enjoy it out there folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Got the midweek session done and it was a tough one for me this week. Id been feeling great until this week at HMP in the interval sessions but literally from step number 1 after the warm up I was feeling tired and lethargic, legs like lead! I hit my times ok but wasn't feeling good for the first 3 miles. I actually felt alot better for the final 3 miles and finished quite strong but I think I may have to revise my goal pace by a wee bit. I don't know if the training is catching up on me a bit but tonight wasn't great for the confidence! Recovery run tomorrow and an extremely plodding slow run on Saturday will hopefully set me right!

I could have written this post today overpronator! Tired legs and struggled to get through the session - thought about giving up about half way through - that has never happened before :eek: But I didn't and like you I finished strong - I wonder is it normal to get like this mid-run? I guess we have good days and bad days but I know what you mean about a blow to the confidence. I'm hoping that skipping Sunday's LSR will get me back to normal :rolleyes:

I've had similar experiences recently - when I've started a run at an easy pace and gone to speed up to HMP after a mile or two and found it very difficult to maintain the pace...but after a while settling in to it and finishing up feeling under control. Nevertheless the difficulty with the pace is a bit worrying when you think that you're supposed to be able to maintain it for much longer distance/time.

I guess / hope there's a big difference between running these paces on the back of a couple of days training versus running them in a race where we are (hopefully) properly rested.

Personally, I've been doing so much running (for me) lately that I'm finding it very hard to tell if I'm making any progress. Even the upcoming Bohermeen half marathon may not give me any answers as I'll be running it at the end of a 35 mile week so my performance won't be optimal.

For those interested, last week of early bird entry into Athlone 3/4 Marathon at €29. I have nothing to do with the race, just know its a quality race and a few on here would sing its praises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Runchick wrote: »
    I could have written this post today overpronator! Tired legs and struggled to get through the session - thought about giving up about half way through - that has never happened before :eek: But I didn't and like you I finished strong - I wonder is it normal to get like this mid-run? I guess we have good days and bad days but I know what you mean about a blow to the confidence. I'm hoping that skipping Sunday's LSR will get me back to normal :rolleyes:

I think the moral of the story is that while it may take a few miles to settle into your goal pace, you know as the race progresses it will feel more comfortable in a bit, you just need to hold tough, hang on and get over that hump.

If you hadn't done that in the training then you could have freaked out in the race with so much milage left to cover.

Both your sessions were successful ones, use them to boost the confidence - you've met a rough ride during training and rode it out until you were feeling strong again, fair play.

My session Wed was very similar to ye'res, and I would prefer to feel stong at mile 5/6 at at the second half of the session than the opposite (ok at the start/middle but struggling at the end).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Guys, as I said before it is perfectly normal to feel like a pace is really hard in training and have thought running through your head of giving up. But as i said before if you hit your time in the training runs you will hit them in the race. 6 miles continuous at HMP is no laughing matter and it should feel really tough but getting through that session should give you confidence and not dent it.

Will the going get tough in the race? Yes
    Will you have to dig in and suffer to make your time? Yes

But with the right mental mindset you will make it. Doing these training sessions is as much about you getting your head right as your body right. As a wise man once said 'It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster'. I actually think that the more you run the harder it gets but your mind and body just learn how to suffer a bit more. The reward of hitting your times in races is what makes it all worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

menoscemo wrote: »
    Guys, as I said before it is perfectly normal to feel like a pace is really hard in training and have thought running through your head of giving up. But as i said before if you hit your time in the training runs you will hit them in the race. 6 miles continuous at HMP is no laughing matter and it should feel really tough but getting through that session should give you confidence and not dent it.

Will the going get tough in the race? Yes
    Will you have to dig in and suffer to make your time? Yes

But with the right mental mindset you will make it. Doing these training sessions is as much about you getting your head right as your body right. As a wise man once said 'It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster'. I actually think that the more you run the harder it gets but your mind and body just learn how to suffer a bit more. The reward of hitting your times in races is what makes it all worthwhile.

That's what was running through my head in my session alright :) I was just a bit spooked that I felt sluggish from the outset having done the previous repeat sessions comfortably, think my LSR from Saturday is still in my legs to be honest. Gonna be alot fresher for Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Where do you guys get audio books for the long run? Amazon? Seem more expensive than the book itself?

Stephen, if you live within SDCC then there are a range of audiobooks available for free from the library.

http://digitallibrary.southdublin.ie/7ECCD1B3-A126-4BFB-AD73-CE335D3090F1/10/457/en/BrowseAudiobook.htm

Other county libraries may offer similar.

Lots of crapola in there but some good ones too.

Aside from that I think the main source of audiobooks is Audible.com, which I haven't tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Thanks for suggestions guys, sounds perfect Sat afternoon down the canal - then massage at Spa (my non drinking treat!) and dawn Sunday recovery run around the golf course.

Taking your point above Rasher I've decided that I need to make Mobhi road a regular part of my life it joins a normal route I do so it was included in the 6 miles - needless to say I was not sprinting up it - YET

You will have a lovely time in Carton house, enjoy yourself!

As for the Mobhi road hill repeats. He didn't sprint the whole road obviously.
    He started at the lights that meet Botanic avenue and would sprint as far as the Fianna grounds, then jog back down and repeat 8 times. He would then just continue the rest of his run at an easy pace.

...If you're out after 7.30 pm next week or after I run down as far as either Fagans or North Circular,and come back up Mobhi road to Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Where do you guys get audio books for the long run? Amazon? Seem more expensive than the book itself?
    Audible.co.UK for books. You can sign up monthly and its cheaper. Local library too but selection in mine not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Question for meno or anyone else that'd like to advise.... I hurt my calf on wed night, went over on my ankle but strained the calf. I've rested since cos I'm planning on racing the duncannon 10k on Sunday followed by a 16 mile lsr Monday.

My question is: I'm thinking of a 40-50k spin on the bike tomoro just to keep the legs ticking.... Is this a good idea or am I better of leaving it till the race on sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Question for meno or anyone else that'd like to advise.... I hurt my calf on wed night, went over on my ankle but strained the calf. I've rested since cos I'm planning on racing the duncannon 10k on Sunday followed by a 16 mile lsr Monday.

My question is: I'm thinking of a 40-50k spin on the bike tomoro just to keep the legs ticking.... Is this a good idea or am I better of leaving it till the race on sunday

I don't know much about cycling, but racing on a dodgy calf might be a bad Idea. Would you not be better at least testing the calf with a short easy run before sunday? In a race you will find it hard to stop and you could do some serious damage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Brought forward the midweek session to Tuesday(didn't push the first 3miles of the session too hard after the race on Sunday,had planned to do just 5 in total but was feeling good so pushed on really hard for the 6th mile which to be fair left me shattered,in a good way) with the intention of doing my LSR on Thursday morning,unfortunately docjewel junior awake since 2:30am put paid to that,so with a 10k race on locally Sunday morning I was hoping to do my LSR then.
    Que blockic's challenge last night ;-) headed out this evening for the LSR,went to the local woods with plenty of really challenging hills,some with necessitated a little walking as well :-[,15 miles around the wood @ mostly 9:30 to 10:00min pace but was nice to be able to hit two sub 8:00miles on the way home on the road.
    By god was it skinning today,while the temperature was supposed to be 1degree or so it felt so much colder,was a tough run today but its nice to have a bit of mileage built up running on hills.

Advertisement