Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

blockic wrote: »
    Yep, secret has been found out! :)

Was a GAA player but retired at the grand old age of 19! :D

Done nothing then (apart from aforementioned 10ks on no training) until I started up "proper" running last year at 25.

You must have some secret you're not telling us? :D
    How did you run a whole 10km with no training at all?
    I would've had to run for a few weeks to not walk some of 6.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

rasher_m wrote: »
    You must have some secret you're not telling us? :D
    How did you run a whole 10km with no training at all?
    I would've had to run for a few weeks to not walk some of 6.2 miles

haha, nah the GAA was my only secret!

Who says I ran the whole 10k? ;) There were walk breaks involved!

Looks like the GAA training all those young years has served me well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

haha, nah the GAA was my only secret!

Who says I ran the whole 10k? ;) There were walk breaks involved!

Looks like the GAA training all those young years has served me well!

ah now ya see :D
    we knew you had a secret
    "Who says I ran the whole 10k? ;) There were walk breaks involved!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Saw a recommended book on meno's original log (I think) called 'advanced marathoning' and it arrived today.. Seems very good. Will I get a garmin from Santa? Is it worth the spend? I think I know what you'll all say! Going for my first run this eve since dcm. Wanted to rest my strained calf. Can't wait to get out I feel rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Saw a recommended book on meno's original log (I think) called 'advanced marathoning' and it arrived today..

Welcome to PB-ville :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Saw a recommended book on meno's original log (I think) called 'advanced marathoning' and it arrived today.. Seems very good. Will I get a garmin from Santa? Is it worth the spend? I think I know what you'll all say! Going for my first run this eve since dcm. Wanted to rest my strained calf. Can't wait to get out I feel rusty
    I was thinking of getting this, is that by the same guys that devise the P&D 55 plan? I was thinking of following that plan for Cork, but I think it has you running 6 days a week? That just isn't really viable for me at the moment with work and other commitments. So not sure whether to buy the book or not.

I'm spending too much on running at the moment!

I would def ask for a Garmin from Santa if I were you. They are fantastic, I couldn't have coped without one. Get one with a HRM though! Mine doesn't have one as I didn't think I'd need it at the time. I would love one now that i'm doing more serious mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Saw a recommended book on meno's original log (I think) called 'advanced marathoning' and it arrived today.

I have it ordered from the library..try before you buy :)

coalshed wrote: »
    I have it ordered from the library..try before you buy :)

I brought my novice marathon time of 4:42 (on Hal Higdon's Novice 1) down to 3:56 and then 3:20 (in the space of a year) using P&D's plans. I always classed myself as a slow runner ...

Even if you don't follow their excellent plans, there is a lot of very sound advice in the book, and it explains the science behind the different typical paces that most coaches use.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

From what I read of the reviews it certainly sounds like a worthwhile read.

That's an impressive improvement on your times Micilin Muc!!

I brought my novice marathon time of 4:42 (on Hal Higdon's Novice 1) down to 3:56 and then 3:20 (in the space of a year) using P&D's plans. I always classed myself as a slow runner ...

Even if you don't follow their excellent plans, there is a lot of very sound advice in the book, and it explains the science behind the different typical paces that most coaches use.
    That's a great improvement! Makes me more keen to get into it. Was cheap on amazon! I expect to learn a lot about the sports science of marathoning. I can't do 6 days either but ill take what I can and apply it to what time I have available. Hhn2 got me to 4;16 so if I can improve 20-30 mins for cork ill be v happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Not sure if its me, or my iPad, but my totals didn't add up when I just entered some mileage. I'm not a big spreadsheet genius so can't tell if its my fault or something else.

I'm not concerned, but someone may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Not sure if its me, or my iPad, but my totals didn't add up when I just entered some mileage. I'm not a big spreadsheet genius so can't tell if its my fault or something else.

Will take a look for you now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting this, is that by the same guys that devise the P&D 55 plan? I was thinking of following that plan for Cork, but I think it has you running 6 days a week? That just isn't really viable for me at the moment with work and other commitments. So not sure whether to buy the book or not.

That's the same one. If you stick with our plan until January/March you will be regularly running 5 days a week and well able to slot into their 33-55 mpw plan for Cork.

As Micilin said, even if you are not following one of the plans it really is well worth a read. It explains much better than me the need to go slow on easy days and fast on Speed days etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Killian

It looks ok from what I can see - what was your concerns with it ?

(If it's that they didn't show as calculating the new mileage I'd blame the iPad not automatically refreshing the page. It's all good from this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's the same one. If you stick with our plan until January/March you will be regularly running 5 days a week and well able to slot into their 33-55 mpw plan for Cork.

As Micilin said, even if you are not following one of the plans it really is well worth a read. It explains much better than me the need to go slow on easy days and fast on Speed days etc...
    Think I will purchase it so, I bought the Hal Higdon book and it was a total waste of money. Totally repetitive and full of case studies and filler. This sounds like it has more substance in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Hi Killian

It looks ok from what I can see - what was your concerns with it ?

(If it's that they didn't show as calculating the new mileage I'd blame the iPad not automatically refreshing the page. It's all good from this end.

Yes, it's all fine now, after I made the post! That's like going to the doctor with a rash that clears up about 10mins before you get called in.

Not that I get rashes or stuff......

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

This seriously impresses and inspires me!

If you get the time could you tell us a bit of what you did over that year?

I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can fit in as many workouts into the week as needed (flexible work/life situation) and am able to dedicate myself seriously to a training plan...

But tbh, even the fact that what you did can be done is hugely motivating - thanks!

ncmc wrote: »
    Think I will purchase it so, I bought the Hal Higdon book and it was a total waste of money. Totally repetitive and full of case studies and filler. This sounds like it has more substance in it.
    Do. Like you I've seen other books. I can tell after 10 mins this will be a great book for improvement and real understanding, I'm excited reading it here.

This seriously impresses and inspires me!

If you get the time could you tell us a bit of what you did over that year?

I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can fit in as many workouts into the week as needed (flexible work/life situation) and am able to dedicate myself seriously to a training plan...

But tbh, even the fact that what you did can be done is hugely motivating - thanks!

Cheers :)

It's all in my log. I'm in the same position as you as regards flexible work/life situation and made/am making the most of it while I can.

1. I read P&D cover to cover and read the importance and benefit of recovery runs.
    2. I stuck religiously to P&D's plans for my two subsequent marathons and made sure I was properly prepared before starting the plans so that I wouldn't get injured.
    3. The increased mileage allowed me to lose 15kg+ weight, which was too hard for me on lower mileage.
    4. Doing the IMRA Summer League (weekly hill races) gave me an appetite for competition.
    5. I also focused on some cross-training and backed off a bit when my running volume increased.
    My only regret is not sooner recognising my potential for a marathon faster than 3:20 :D

Looks like a good month in store for P&D Book Sales....

227889.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

thats an amazing improvement. fair play. my just done novice is 4:50 and im wanting to go sub4 within 2 years, seeing what yiu've done makes that seem reasonable, even though ive more miles on the clock and less in the legs

just back wed after DCM , 2 easy runs so far feels good
    planning to do parkrun each week and plans on here ( thks meno)
    hoping to give it a lash and get better at the running

LT ambition is to make GFA time in Boston and get really fit trying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Saw a recommended book on meno's original log (I think) called 'advanced marathoning' and it arrived today..

Snap, have it on my 'Santa' list. Hopefully he'll bring it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Cheers :)

It's all in my log. I'm in the same position as you as regards flexible work/life situation and made/am making the most of it while I can.

1. I read P&D cover to cover and read the importance and benefit of recovery runs.
    2. I stuck religiously to P&D's plans for my two subsequent marathons and made sure I was properly prepared before starting the plans so that I wouldn't get injured.
    3. The increased mileage allowed me to lose 15kg+ weight, which was too hard for me on lower mileage.
    4. Doing the IMRA Summer League (weekly hill races) gave me an appetite for competition.
    5. I also focused on some cross-training and backed off a bit when my running volume increased.
    My only regret is not sooner recognising my potential for a marathon faster than 3:20 :D

Thanks for the reply MM!

All of that sounds very doable. You're probably proof that consistency and dedication are all that is needed really (to a degree).

I'm probably similar re the weight situation - I reckon a stone or two gone could yield serious improvement....and i'm working on that.

So, off to read your log and order Advanced Marathoning! I'll probably be hounding you for advice over the next while, so be prepared!

Thanks again.

tang1 wrote: »

Are you back from injury tang1? What's the plans?

Are you back from injury tang1? What's the plans?

Yip, back about 3 weeks or so. Taking it easy till new year, have a 10 mile race in March and going to follow a plan for that. Hopefully go sub 70 mins. You still pounding the prom out Howth way?

My wallet hates me for being an impulse buyer! I just pressed the purchase button! :D

I can't last six weeks! Too excited!

I'm block booking my Wednesday night to tuck into it, shall be waiting for the postman Wednesday morning! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

My wallet hates me for being an impulse buyer! I just pressed the purchase button! :D

I'm block booking my Wednesday night to tuck into it, shall be waiting for the postman Wednesday morning! :)
    I know my card number, expiry date and security code off by heart :o

No discipline you young fellas!!

have a 10 mile race in March

Where is the 10 miler tang? might fit in nicely to my plan...
    I know my card number, expiry date and security code off by heart :o

Haha, you and me both! Very very dangerous!

• Advertisement

Where is the 10 miler tang? might fit in nicely!

Its in Donegal, Bundoran 10. Other half is from up there so its handy, plus her Ma makes the nicest coffee cake on the planet!!

Advertisement