Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »

I don't know much about cycling, but racing on a dodgy calf might be a bad Idea. Would you not be better at least testing the calf with a short easy run before sunday? In a race you will find it hard to stop and you could do some serious damage...

Yeah that's not a bad idea. I'm fairly satisfied that it's nothing too serious but on the other hand is rather keep it that way!

I'll leave the bike on the turbo trainer and try 3 or 4 easy miles tomoro instead

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

After two days rest from running I'm thinking of doing another XC tomorrow, the BHAA event at Dublin Airport. Anyone else here trying it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

RedRunner wrote: »
    After two days rest from running I'm thinking of doing another XC tomorrow, the BHAA event at Dublin Airport. Anyone else here trying it out?
    Did you go? Let u know how it went.

I'm waiting to get out for 15m lsr here. Looks like sleet outside and I can still feel that bottle of wine I devoured last night.
    On the upside I went to the physio yesterday for some maintenance and feel nice and loose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Frustrating week running wise, over my man-flu but my knee is still kind of bothering me. My goal race for first part of the year is this day two weeks so going to leave the running for rest of week and see how things are Monday. I can run on it just fearful i might be doing more damage if i do run on it.

Did you go? Let u know how it went.

I'm waiting to get out for 15m lsr here. Looks like sleet outside and I can still feel that bottle of wine I devoured last night.
    On the upside I went to the physio yesterday for some maintenance and feel nice and loose!

I did!. Found it tough going.It was all a bit rushed.Logisitical issues as youngest had football match at 10 etc.so prep wasn't great. Full race report on my training log later. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328&page=14

My garmin says 5.19 mile Time : 40:31...Will wait for official result later but given that my current 5 mile PB for road is 40:36, I am well chuffed with that given where I am with my training so far this year. Went off too fast of course, got caught up in the crowd splits were;

7:04, 7:45, 8:01, 8:16, 8:08, (6:41)

A good workout for me. Plan is 10 mile LSR tomorrow but can't do it until evening as other boy has football match in Ratoath in morning and I'm not one for Dawn running!

Good luck with the LSR today and probably see you Tues night?

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »

I did!. Found it tough going.It was all a bit rushed.Logisitical issues as youngest had football match at 10 etc.so prep wasn't great. Full race report on my training log later.

My garmin says 5.19 mile Time : 40:31...Will wait for official result later but given that my current 5 mile PB for road is 40:36, I am well chuffed with that given where I am with my training so far this year. Went off too fast of course, got caught up in the crowd splits were;

7:04, 7:45, 8:01, 8:16, 8:08, (6:41)

A good workout for me. Plan is 10 mile LSR tomorrow but can't do it until evening as other boy has football match in Ratoath in morning and I'm not one for Dawn running!

Good luck with the LSR today and probably see you Tues night?
    Good man that was a great session esp where ur at!
    My lSr was okay in the end, few moments of weakness and it is chilly!! But changed the route and had a marathon talk podcast for company.
    Yea Tuesday is good, see u there.

Good man that was a great session esp where ur at!
    My lSr was okay in the end, few moments of weakness and it is chilly!! But changed the route and had a marathon talk podcast for company.
    Yea Tuesday is good, see u there.

Must get me one of those. Heard a lot of good things about them.

Nippy out there today. Well done on notching up another one.See u nxt week so.

Morning all, just looking at meek week p&d plan (wk5), and it has a 16m lsr with 10 at pmp I think. And then a step back week after.
    So like many of us I've a race this weekend (10k in my case). So should I try get the mileage in mid week or do it next week and treat this as step back week including a race? I Don't like messing with the plan!

Morning all, just looking at meek week p&d plan (wk5), and it has a 16m lsr with 10 at pmp I think. And then a step back week after.
    So like many of us I've a race this weekend (10k in my case). So should I try get the mileage in mid week or do it next week and treat this as step back week including a race? I Don't like messing with the plan!

Depends what your goal for the 10k is I'd say. Since Cork is your main goal the plan is priority. I'd probably do a 4-5 mile warmup easy pace, race the 10k, and then do the rest at LSR pace to cool down. The 10k might make up for the fact you are not doing the 10 at PMP and you get your miles in...but I'm certainly no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Delighted to have 16 miles LSR done this morn. Lovely morn , very frosty but sunny n mild. Felt strong all way through , 1st time since DCM that I used a gel, def helps I feel. Ended up doing extra 3 miles on my own ,I was planning doing 15 ended up doing 16! Doing Omagh half marathon on march 30th in prep for Derry marathon on June 2nd .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

After reading about the snow at home on Facebook & Twitter I was glad to be in Malta for their annual marathon/half/walkathon.

Previous PB: 01:56:03 (Waterford Half, December 2012)
    Target: 01:54:59

Malta is a small island, so small that the marathon has to do practically 2circuts of the course. This year is was the 38th running of their marathon which considering it is organised by the same man and a couple of his friends is a considerable achievement! I was well warned of rural roads, aggressive drivers and possible flooding. Nothing bad happened at all, it was excellently organised with water stations, sponge stations, orange slices stations, powerade stations and even a jelly baby station! This was a well organised race, incredible friendly and given it starts at 200m and finishes at sea level, a very PB friendly course.

All runners are bussed to the start so I met up with some local people I became friendly on their FB site. 7.30 am bus for a 30minute drive up to the 9.20 am start left me there with plenty of time so I joined in with the general aerobic warm up.

The race is known for a big drop over the course (200m) so I was really conscious of trying to balance using the drop to my advantage but not starting too fast. I set the garmin to track me at an 8:40 pace but it felt good to take off at 8m miles at the start. Uh oh!

Running through historic streets narrow lanes was nice but the roads were very poor, but we were warned that they would be bad, lots of cracks & potholes made it difficult to dodge in and out but they got better the closer to town we got.

We started in 15c heat which moved up to 18pretty quick and my strategy to go easy on the water looked poor. But I stuck to the plan and skipped the 1st water station, took some powerade at 5m, sponges at 6 and water at 7. I took a High5+ gel at 8 and water & powerade when offered at 10, 11 & 12.

While thinking the whole race was downhill, two long drags appeared that brought the course uphill and they were a killer, marathon & half runners had joined together at this stage so it was a little easier to pick off guys and girls that were on 20mls when we were only on 7!

A huge downhill with 3 to go was really sore and every step was like putting on the brakes but the last 3 were really great, running right beside the bay with huge boats & yachts on one side and a really loud crowd on the other made the final run in much easier.

A pick up in pace at the end was good to have and spotting the family & friends at 500m from the end made me try to look half reasonable & attempt to look like a runner! Crossed the line with 1:54 on the clock and a garmin time of 01:53:48. Delighted with the new PB, a little bit of 'what if' given the fast start, lesson learned, a bit slower might lead to better consistency next time around!

A really good, fun run. I'd recommend it with cheap Ryanair flights out of Dublin if your looking for a bit of warm weather running in February!

Garmin data (still haven't learned the whole tables thing!)

Mile/pace/HR

Mile 1 - 8.23/163
    Mile 2 - 7.50/165
    Mile 3 - 7.57/165
    Mile 4 - 8.12/168
    Mile 5 - 8.36/169
    Mile 6 - 8.26/169
    Mile 7 - 8.29/170
    Mile 8 - 8.45/172
    Mile 9 - 9.21/169
    Mile 10 - 9.22/173
    Mile 11 - 9.06/171
    Mile 12 - 8.55/ 172
    Mile 13 - 9.04/173
    Last bit - 50secs / 176

Avg pace: 8.38
    Avg HR: 169
    New PB - 01:53:48

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

21.1k LSR today - felt good, which wasn't guaranteed, especially after 10k yesterday at HM pace. So that's 53k for the week, the most since DCM 2012.

Crossed the line with 1:54 on the clock and a garmin time of 01:53:48. Delighted with the new PB, a little bit of 'what if' given the fast start, lesson learned, a bit slower might lead to better consistency next time around!

Nice running, Killian, and congrats on the PB.

After reading about the snow at home on Facebook & Twitter I was glad to be in Malta for their annual marathon/half/walkathon.

Previous PB: 01:56:03 (Waterford Half, December 2012)
    Target: 01:54:59

Malta is a small island, so small that the marathon has to do practically 2circuts of the course. This year is was the 38th running of their marathon which considering it is organised by the same man and a couple of his friends is a considerable achievement! I was well warned of rural roads, aggressive drivers and possible flooding. Nothing bad happened at all, it was excellently organised with water stations, sponge stations, orange slices stations, powerade stations and even a jelly baby station! This was a well organised race, incredible friendly and given it starts at 200m and finishes at sea level, a very PB friendly course.

All runners are bussed to the start so I met up with some local people I became friendly on their FB site. 7.30 am bus for a 30minute drive up to the 9.20 am start left me there with plenty of time so I joined in with the general aerobic warm up.

The race is known for a big drop over the course (200m) so I was really conscious of trying to balance using the drop to my advantage but not starting too fast. I set the garmin to track me at an 8:40 pace but it felt good to take off at 8m miles at the start. Uh oh!

Running through historic streets narrow lanes was nice but the roads were very poor, but we were warned that they would be bad, lots of cracks & potholes made it difficult to dodge in and out but they got better the closer to town we got.

We started in 15c heat which moved up to 18pretty quick and my strategy to go easy on the water looked poor. But I stuck to the plan and skipped the 1st water station, took some powerade at 5m, sponges at 6 and water at 7. I took a High5+ gel at 8 and water & powerade when offered at 10, 11 & 12.

While thinking the whole race was downhill, two long drags appeared that brought the course uphill and they were a killer, marathon & half runners had joined together at this stage so it was a little easier to pick off guys and girls that were on 20mls when we were only on 7!

A huge downhill with 3 to go was really sore and every step was like putting on the brakes but the last 3 were really great, running right beside the bay with huge boats & yachts on one side and a really loud crowd on the other made the final run in much easier.

A pick up in pace at the end was good to have and spotting the family & friends at 500m from the end made me try to look half reasonable & attempt to look like a runner! Crossed the line with 1:54 on the clock and a garmin time of 01:53:48. Delighted with the new PB, a little bit of 'what if' given the fast start, lesson learned, a bit slower might lead to better consistency next time around!

A really good, fun run. I'd recommend it with cheap Ryanair flights out of Dublin if your looking for a bit of warm weather running in February!

Garmin data (still haven't learned the whole tables thing!)

Mile/pace/HR

Mile 1 - 8.23/163
    Mile 2 - 7.50/165
    Mile 3 - 7.57/165
    Mile 4 - 8.12/168
    Mile 5 - 8.36/169
    Mile 6 - 8.26/169
    Mile 7 - 8.29/170
    Mile 8 - 8.45/172
    Mile 9 - 9.21/169
    Mile 10 - 9.22/173
    Mile 11 - 9.06/171
    Mile 12 - 8.55/ 172
    Mile 13 - 9.04/173
    Last bit - 50secs / 176

Avg pace: 8.38
    Avg HR: 169
    New PB - 01:53:48
    Congrats Killian , great running, well done!

^^^ Well done Killian, sounds like a fun trip and great to top it off with a PB.

10.25 miles LSR today avg pace 9:02 including a bit of hill of Howth. Lovely afternoon for a run with Sunshine and just a bit of a chill in the air. This is longest run since back injury. With HM coming up in 3 weeks, got to up the mileage a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Well done Killian. Sounds like a lovely event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For all those who have been training for Bohermeen Half/ Ballycotton 10; this week is all about getting to the start line fresh and sharp, all the hard work has been done. The only session this week is a diluted one on Wednesday. It's more about getting the body used to the pacing than anything else.

Whether or not to run on Saturday is personal. I like to get a few very easy miles in the day before the race. For those that like to have a short run the day before the race, you can move Thursdays recovery run to Saturday and rest on Thursday instead.

Best of Luck!!

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    | 5 miles easy w strides or hill sprints|rest/cross|6 miles including 2 @ Race pace|3 miles recovery|5m easy with strides|rest/cross|Race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Celtic link duncannon 10k 36.36 9th Place

I'm useless at this tech stuff so I cant link but the race report is on my log!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Was hoping to have a race report here from a local 10k this morning but unfortunately due to little docjewel junior waking again before 3am & not heading back to sleep till nearly 7am & me feeling so wrecked that I skipped the race.
    In hindsight probably not the worst thing to do,Myself & the two little boys got plenty of time on the trampoline,bikes etc this morning,grass got its 1st cut of the year(did take over 3 hours to do though) after lunch & then snuck in an easy 7miles of a run before tucking into a lovely Sunday roast.
    Next week is gonna be an easy week,will find it hard to get in runs anyway due to family commitments,appointments etc but not a bad week to have an enforced rest in.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »

Wow that's some time! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Gavlor wrote: »

Smashing time there, fair play.

docjewel wrote: »
    grass got its 1st cut of the year...

What, in February? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

dechol wrote: »
    Well done Killian. Sounds like a lovely event.

+1 on Malta

and congrats Killian on the 2 page spread I just saw in Irish Runner - way to go, I'm thinking you are probably OT's best ambassador ever

Added scans from Runner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

murphd77 wrote: »
    What, in February? :eek:
    My hubby cut our lawn last week, but a pebble flew out from under the lawnmower and smashed our patio window :mad:

That's what we get for being eager beavers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Walkedit wrote: »
    +1 on Malta

and congrats Killian on the 2 page spread I just saw in Irish Runner - way to go, I'm thinking you are probably OT's best ambassador ever

+ 105 on Malta Killian,

& to think that this time last year you were doing the OT 5k :eek::eek:- doing DCM 2012 & running a few halves in under 2 hours is some achievement from where you were - if Catherine Thomas ever gets the boot you must be in there with a shout & if I was in RTE I would definately be doing a programme tracking youre progress :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

rasher_m wrote: »
    You will have a lovely time in Carton house, enjoy yourself!

As for the Mobhi road hill repeats. He didn't sprint the whole road obviously.
    He started at the lights that meet Botanic avenue and would sprint as far as the Fianna grounds, then jog back down and repeat 8 times. He would then just continue the rest of his run at an easy pace.

...If you're out after 7.30 pm next week or after I run down as far as either Fagans or North Circular,and come back up Mobhi road to Santry.

Thanks I did - Carton house is v. nice

Stayed calm with running but still did 6m round trip each day on canal, tried both directions Leixlip/Maynooth, ironically underfoot was better towards Maynooth all tarmaced, but both were fine, this was Sunday's run
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Walkedit/activity/151752536
    As I use just RK ( no Garmin yet!) I have to make them separate runs to capture sections like 5k out on Sat Vs running back - that's why it's two activities. There is probably a smarter way to do this.

Anyway netted out to 30.23m for comeback week all easy so happy out.

Getting out for circuit sound good - I normally run in evening on Wed, I'll PM you as long as you promise to slow down so I can keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Walkedit wrote: »
    +1 on Malta

Added scans from Runner

Thanks for the pics Walkedit.

Wow, thats some transformation from the pic with the rugby boys - you look at least 15 years younger, I'd never have taken you for someone in their 30's.
    Just looking at your profile & times etc I'd say were fairly evenly matched, I was a bit quicker in DCM12 & youre a few years younger than me but it looks like we'll be running close together if we both do DCM13 - you could have another running buddy with the 4 hr pacers.Sure if we started talking we'd be over Roebuck hill before we knew it:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Came across this over the weekend, just in case anyone needs a bit of inspiration!

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/8979487/fauja-singh-oldest-marathon-runner-finishes-last-race-101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Advertisement