Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

murphd77 wrote: »
    What, in February? :eek:

it hasn't been as cold down south & I won't get to do it next weekend(running getting in the way again!!!!).
    Any suggestions for getting rid of moss :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    Well you're just faster at everything aren't you!!! :rolleyes::p

*goes into corner and sulks* :mad:

ncmc wrote: »
    My hubby cut our lawn last week, but a pebble flew out from under the lawnmower and smashed our patio window :mad:

That's what we get for being eager beavers :pac:

Is that why you took control of the painting duties over the weekend? :-D

docjewel wrote: »
    Is that why you took control of the painting duties over the weekend? :-D
    Haha, as punishment he had to paint the ceiling and do all the masking/crappy jobs. I got the easy job of painting the walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Walkedit wrote: »
    +1 on Malta

and congrats Killian on the 2 page spread I just saw in Irish Runner - way to go, I'm thinking you are probably OT's best ambassador ever

Added scans from Runner

I havent seen it! - Must take a trip to the newsagents!

• Advertisement

I havent seen it! - Must take a trip to the newsagents!
    Well done Killian, both on a great HM performance and the write up. It really shows how far you've come in the last 14 months. You're a real inspiration to anyone wanting to lose weight and get fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Thanks I did - Carton house is v. nice

Stayed calm with running but still did 6m round trip each day on canal, tried both directions Leixlip/Maynooth, ironically underfoot was better towards Maynooth all tarmaced, but both were fine

Oops, Carton is the furthest I've made it along the canal towards Maynooth...glad to hear that the surface improves as you get closer to the town as there's a fairly dodgy stretch just before Carton if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Thanks I did - Carton house is v. nice

Getting out for circuit sound good - I normally run in evening on Wed, I'll PM you as long as you promise to slow down so I can keep up!

No fear of me going fast Walkedit. In fact I may be too slow for you. My leg is still not right so I'm just doing 10 min miles. If thats too slow for you then you'd be better off heading out yourself. Otherwise yeah ping me for Wednesday :)

I spent the weekend taking my son who turns 6 tomorrow away for a night in Cork before a day in Fota wildlife park yesterday.

In spite of best intentions I was wrecked by the time we got home last night so no long run done last week :(

On the plus side, I bit the bullet and bought a new pair of runners to replace the never-been-comfortable ones I got at the start of the year...so I'm sorted for marathon shoes. Now I just need to get my arse in gear for the next 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

coalshed wrote: »
    I spent the weekend taking my son who turns 6 tomorrow away for a night in Cork before a day in Fota wildlife park yesterday.

In spite of best intentions I was wrecked by the time we got home last night so no long run done last week :(

On the plus side, I bit the bullet and bought a new pair of runners to replace the never-been-comfortable ones I got at the start of the year...so I'm sorted for marathon shoes. Now I just need to get my arse in gear for the next 6 weeks.

I'd say the break done you the world of good, you'll be feeling stronger this week. ;)

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'd say the break done you the world of good, you'll be feeling stronger this week. ;)

well it was great to spend time with the young lad, I've been feeling guilty of late sometimes when out running at the weekend etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

I haven't seen it! - Must take a trip to the newsagents!

As we can see from your progress that won't take long! It's so encouraging, we know your not short of HTFU but reading it you do feel that anyone can get there. My LT goal is <4hrs but it'll take a lot of luck& effort to make to this year but who knows.

coalshed wrote: »
    Oops, Carton is the furthest I've made it along the canal towards Maynooth...glad to hear that the surface improves as you get closer to the town as there's a fairly dodgy stretch just before Carton if I remember correctly.

Yes that's where I went 1st but happily it was dry'ish and clearly gets a bit of use, I was then dreading the other way a but it was a nice surprise, happy days. Just knowing the canal was there waiting for me got me out

Well done for getting away with your son, those are days that last forever.
    parkrun Father & Son
    rasher_m wrote: »
    No fear of me going fast Walkedit. In fact I may be too slow for you. My leg is still not right so I'm just doing 10 min miles. If thats too slow for you then you'd be better off heading out yourself. Otherwise yeah ping me for Wednesday :)

The key is when you say "just" remember my DCM PB is 4:50, that's kinda why I stuck in the RK link earlier so you can see how slow I really am. So no backing out now - will be in touch. Besides going back a bit slow is the new fast -we can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

4 easy miles tonight @9:49 avg pace. Nice to bring my ytd total over the 100 mark at long last:)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Hi all, apologies for what's going to be a long and confused post!

For those of you doing P&D at the moment, yet racing at the weekend (I'm doing Ballycotton 10), what alterations, if any, do you plan to make to your running schedule this week? I want to stay on course with the marathon programme, since that's the main goal this year, but I don't want to rock up to the start line on Sunday absolutely knackered either. Any suggestions?

Plan called for this week is:
    Tue: 9m (w/ 5m @ LT); Wed: 5m recovery; Thurs 10m easy; Sat 5m recovery; Sunday 16 miles (w/10 miles @ PMP).

Swapping sessions around this week seems like a bit of a nightmare, I'd probably count the race as the LT session, and move the long run to Tuesday. And it would still probably leave me wrecked.

Rather than try shift things around this week, I'm thinking of swapping this week with next week, which is a step back week involving no LT or PMP runs at all. [8 mile easy with strides; 5 mile recovery; 8 mile easy; 4 mile recovery; 12 mile longish run]. But before I commit to that, just checking what other people might be doing, in case I'm missing something!

Thanks for reading :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The 10 mile race is practically 10 miles @LT. If you do a decent warm up and cool down you will cover close to 16 miles in total anyway so I would leave that as both the Long Run and LT session for the week.
    I would just do the race like that and ignore other sessions (do the miles easy).

So just do 9 miles tomorrow all easy. You could also do 5 mile @ MP as part of tomorrows 9?

Also: an easy week is a good Idea for the week after a race. I wouldn't like to be doing all those session the week after a hard race...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

scriba wrote: »

Rather than try shift things around this week, :D
    I'm in the same boat but my race is a 10k. I'm going to just shift things around this week an do lsr on weds eve. If I'd a 10 mile race I'd do what meno suggests, and enjoy the step back next week. I'm gonna rest fri and do easy pace sat, should be good for Sundays race then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

14 miles at 5.30am this morning to blow the cobwebs off a boozy weekend. Feels good to be back out there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Urghh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Runchick wrote: »
    14 miles at 5.30am this morning to blow the cobwebs off a boozy weekend. Feels good to be back out there :p
    Ah come off it!! That's some going in the am! Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Well done you, I was thinking it was great to be out this morning at half 6 for 5 miles - its feckin ha'penny place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Www.samaratins.com

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Gavlor wrote: »

LOL:D:D

Love early morning running, getting a rise out of you lot just makes it even more fun😉

For those of you doing P&D at the moment, yet racing at the weekend (I'm doing Ballycotton 10), what alterations, if any, do you plan to make to your running schedule this week? I want to stay on course with the marathon programme, since that's the main goal this year, but I don't want to rock up to the start line on Sunday absolutely knackered either. Any suggestions?

Tue: 9m (w/ 5m @ LT); Wed: 5m recovery; Thurs 10m easy; Sat 5m recovery; Sunday 16 miles (w/10 miles @ PMP).

Swapping sessions around this week seems like a bit of a nightmare, I'd probably count the race as the LT session, and move the long run to Tuesday. And it would still probably leave me wrecked.

Rather than try shift things around this week, I'm thinking of swapping this week with next week, which is a step back week involving no LT or PMP runs at all. [8 mile easy with strides; 5 mile recovery; 8 mile easy; 4 mile recovery; 12 mile longish run]. But before I commit to that, just checking what other people might be doing, in case I'm missing something!

Looking at the parking arrangements for the weekend in Ballycotton, by the looks of it you'll have no problem clocking up at least 16 miles on Sunday :-D

Keep an eye out for us newbies with Boards AC tops & say hi to us:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Love early morning running, getting a rise out of you lot just makes it even more fun😉

In my younger days I often came home that time but I've never been out running that early, I might have pushed it to 7am a few times but going that early would count as yesterdays run to me.The neighbours would want to know that you run that early or theyl be thinking that you were out partying all nightl:eek::eek:

Thats serious dedication,you must be wrecked by 6 in the evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

ahhhh.gif

Thanks menoscemo for that. A much more elegant solution, and I'll get more benefit from the step back week where it is. Much happier now. There'll be plenty of foam rolling this week.

Looking at the parking arrangements for the weekend in Ballycotton, by the looks of it you'll have no problem clocking up at least 16 miles on Sunday :-D

Ha ha, yeah that's it, and I'll be there early. I'll have nothing to do but warm up miles. :D

I'll definitely keep an eye out for the tops, and I'll say hi. Roll on Sunday!

docrock wrote: »
    In my younger days I often came home that time but I've never been out running that early, I might have pushed it to 7am a few times but going that early would count as yesterdays run to me.The neighbours would want to know that you run that early or theyl be thinking that you were out partying all nightl:eek::eek:

Thats serious dedication,you must be wrecked by 6 in the evening??

Its just the time I go, only time to fit it in really. But suits me fine, all done and dusted nice and early. I do get tired early and try to get to bed around 10pm when I can...P&D is definitely more tiring than the last training plan though. I fit in a sneaky nap on the weekends when I can ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Sciba, I am in the exact same boat as you, was trying to move my days around and to make things more confusing, I agreed to do a 5k race with my Sis in Law on Saturday! Now before you call the men with the butterfly nets, she is only starting out jogging and this will be her first time running 5K, so we’ll be taking it slow. I will be using it as a recovery run/warm up for Ballycotton, might add on an extra mile or two at a very handy pace to make up on of the 5 mile recovery runs this week.

My plan was Mon – 5, Tues – 9, Wed – Rest, Thurs – 16, Fri – Rest, Sat – 5 and then the race on Sunday. But Meno’s plan sounds like a lot less hassle and as Doc Jewel says, we’ll have nothing if not time on Sunday! I don’t think I would make up to 16 miles though, but it would leave me with arguably fresher legs if I did 10 on Thursday instead of 16. I might just see how I feel on Thursday and decide then. Like you, my main priority is Cork and I don’t want to mess the plan around too much.

Yes I will be proudly wearing my Boards AC top so come over and say hello if you see me!

Advertisement