Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

blockic wrote: »
    Drank, watched TV and played golf! Makes ya think why I even bothered starting! :pac:

Our very own Ben St. Lawrence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

16.7m done this eve!
    10 at pmp. Went well.
    Full report on my log.
    Good to have it out of the way early in the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

blockic wrote: »

That's a great marathon time New runner after only starting 6 months previous! fair play. I thought it might have been some public talk or something so thats why I asked/interested. Looks like there is a good operation going on up there!
    Thank u very much! Was pleased as now at 43 n with new treatment after suffering from very severe Crohn's disease since age of 18 n , 3 very major surgeries in dublin which resulted in been hospitalised very ill for 4 weeks 3 yrs ago this July/aug, I'm feeling very well which upon joining a gym last march n running bit on treadmill I began running, so there's hope for all crohns sufferers r other illness . I'll b delighted if I do the derry marathon in or around same time! I feel it will b tougher as hillier n knowing the course may not b a benefit! sometimes ignorance is bliss! in Dublin I hadn't a clue what was up ahead n enjoyed every second of it, the support was brilliant n my last 6 miles were the fastest so obviously paced it ok. I found this forum n support and advise on here great too n very helpful. Thanks again. U are doing amazing , some mileage! Fair play to u and good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My husband has Crohns New Runner, it's a horrible desease. Like you he has had a couple of surgeries, thankfully he hasn't needed surgery in a few years, but he still has quite bad flare ups.

He started the couch 2 5k last year but gave up after a few weeks. I'd love him to take up running, but don't want to push him too much. Must show him your post as encouragement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

New runner wrote: »
    Thank u very much! Was pleased as now at 43 n with new treatment after suffering from very severe Crohn's disease since age of 18 n , 3 very major surgeries in dublin which resulted in been hospitalised very ill for 4 weeks 3 yrs ago this July/aug, I'm feeling very well which upon joining a gym last march n running bit on treadmill I began running, so there's hope for all crohns sufferers r other illness . I'll b delighted if I do the derry marathon in or around same time! I feel it will b tougher as hillier n knowing the course may not b a benefit! sometimes ignorance is bliss! in Dublin I hadn't a clue what was up ahead n enjoyed every second of it, the support was brilliant n my last 6 miles were the fastest so obviously paced it ok. I found this forum n support and advise on here great too n very helpful. Thanks again. U are doing amazing , some mileage! Fair play to u and good luck!

Thats some going NR, this marathon lark is tough enough in full health, i can only imagine what goes through your mind when the going gets tough. You must chuckle to yourself when you hear us lot whinging about sniffles n stomach cramps!

• Advertisement

Great achievement newrunner after that hardship and only your first marathon.

ncmc wrote: »
    My husband has Crohns New Runner, it's a horrible desease. Like you he has had a couple of surgeries, thankfully he hasn't needed surgery in a few years, but he still has quite bad flare ups.

He started the couch 2 5k last year but gave up after a few weeks. I'd love him to take up running, but don't want to push him too much. Must show him your post as encouragement!
    Great , that's what I hoped to achieve my posting that comment, I started an injection 2 yrs ago now called "humira" which I give myself every 2 weeks into my tummy n that combined with immuran which I've been on for years is currently working great for me. Hopefully ur husband is doing ok n will continue to stay well. For me running has been great both socially n personally etc . I do need frequent toilet stops though n must admit DCM was a big concern but did stop at loo twice and no accidents thankfully! Thanks for commenting n best wishes to u and ur hubby!

Ah thanks very much everyone , u all gonna make me cry!
    We all have come so far n it's tough for everyone n all the encouragement is what's gets us through! Love reading all the posts n reports n following everyone's journey n experiences n advice.
    Appreciate it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

rasher_m wrote: »
    I don't know how popular it is, I went into Hughes & Hughes and Easons and neither had it in stock. Could've been the branches I went to.

Just popping in here to say you can get a copy of this in Hodgis Figgis on Dawson Street. They had loads of copies the last time I was in there about a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ososlo wrote: »
    Just popping in here to say you can get a copy of this in Hodgis Figgis on Dawson Street. They had loads of copies the last time I was in there about a month ago.

Hi Ososlo, my neighbour!
    I actually ordered it from Hughes & Hughes.
    I was thinking how high their rents are in that Omni centre and how the shop is always empty so I opted to give them the business and wait two weeks for it.
    Thanks though :)

• Advertisement

16.7m done this eve!
    10 at pmp. Went well.
    Full report on my log.
    Good to have it out of the way early in the week!
    Well done, great running! 10m at pmp! Impressive!! Great job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Unbelievable, well done. That is a fantastic achievement after what you have been through and having to deal with that illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

New Runner- your earlier post does pose an interesting point for all us Boardsies, we don't really have a clue what goes on in other people's lives and for them, even going for a run is a big achievement.

your 1st marathon was 7 mins faster than my first one, and I'm in full health!! No doubt you can go faster!!
    Respect to you for your achievements on and off the road.

New Runner- your earlier post does pose an interesting point for all us Boardsies, we don't really have a clue what goes on in other people's lives and for them, even going for a run is a big achievement.

your 1st marathon was 7 mins faster than my first one, and I'm in full health!! No doubt you can go faster!!
    Respect to you for your achievements on and off the road.
    Thank u so much, really makes it all worthwhile! Feel as proud as punch now! Lol! I'm sure a lot or even most of us have lot troubles n hardships going on in their lives that we not aware of, we tend to think only of the running aspect in people n not their lives in general. Appreciate all ur comments etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Thank u so much, really makes it all worthwhile! Feel as proud as punch now! Lol! I'm sure a lot or even most of us have lot troubles n hardships going on in their lives that we not aware of, we tend to think only of the running aspect in people n not their lives in general. Appreciate all ur comments etc. :)

Yeah its true for sure, everyone has their own set of problems and nobody gets off scot free.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Having half heartedly attempted the 'speedwork' section of my plan a couple of times previously by not finishing it or cutting the intervals in half I found a bit of HTFU in the wardrobe and committed to doing it today.

The plan was 1m warm up, 4 x 1m sectors at 7.56 with .5m jogs in between

I forgot what times I had to do the speed bits in so I just ran as fast as I could and the results were surprising!

1m warm up - 10.27 - 130bpm

1m speed - 7.26 - 162bpm
    .5 walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.30 - 164bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.51 - 161bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.29 - 162bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    .33 cool down -143bpm

Total time: 01.12.32
    Total Dist: 7.34m
    Total Cal: 926
    Avg BPM: 144

it was tough, but delighted that I did all 4 and kept the pace up and that both speed & HR kept pretty steady...and there are some of you want to run a marathon that fast?!

Nutters.

Having half heartedly attempted the 'speedwork' section of my plan a couple of times previously by not finishing it or cutting the intervals in half I found a bit of HTFU in the wardrobe and committed to doing it today.

I forgot what times I had to do the speed bits in so I just ran as fast as I could and the results were surprising!

1m speed - 7.26 - 162bpm
    .5 walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.30 - 164bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.51 - 161bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.29 - 162bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    .33 cool down -143bpm

it was tough, but delighted that I did all 4 and kept the pace up and that both speed & HR kept pretty steady...and there are some of you want to run a marathon that fast?!

Nutters.
    Great running there Killian, I think you’re targeting 4:00-4:15 in Limerick? I think you’ll be revising that target downwards if you keep up that speed work!

Looking good on OT earlier in the week, did I hear correctly that Natalie said she had run DCM? The other guy who’s name I can’t remember said he did it too and I think I saw Grace in a ‘Proud Finisher’ top during the 5k run. Goodness, if 4 out of 5 of you ran the marathon then that is frikken unbelievable!

ncmc wrote: »
    Great running there Killian, I think you’re targeting 4:00-4:15 in Limerick? I think you’ll be revising that target downwards if you keep up that speed work!

Looking good on OT earlier in the week, did I hear correctly that Natalie said she had run DCM? The other guy who’s name I can’t remember said he did it too and I think I saw Grace in a ‘Proud Finisher’ top during the 5k run. Goodness, if 4 out of 5 of you ran the marathon then that is frikken unbelievable!

Thanks!

Adrian & Natalie walked it, they were part of the group that didn't get medals (now sorted) I've no idea where Grace got her shirt, her boyfriend is sporty maybe he ran, but she certainly didn't do the race! She made sure it was just visible, but hidden at the same time didn't she!

Hey, look what I learned how to do!

A|B|C|D
    1|2|3|4
    5|6|7|8

mile 1|mile 2|mile 3|mile 4
    7.26|7.30|7.51|7.29
    162bpm|164bpm|161bpm|162bpm

Here's the linky bit to how I did it...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79591176

Thanks!

Adrian & Natalie walked it, they were part of the group that didn't get medals (now sorted) I've no idea where Grace got her shirt, her boyfriend is sporty maybe he ran, but she certainly didn't do the race! She made sure it was just visible, but hidden at the same time didn't she!
    Fair play to them, I was especially impressed with Natalie, I didn’t think she’d stick with it after OT, but she looked really well.
    Hey, look what I learned how to do!

A|B|C|D
    1|2|3|4
    5|6|7|8

mile 1|mile 2|mile 3|mile 4|
    7.26|7.30|7.51|7.29
    162bpm|164bpm|161bpm|162bpm
    Oooh….. fancy! :pac:

• Advertisement

1m speed - 7.26 - 162bpm
    .5 walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.30 - 164bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.51 - 161bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    1m speed - 7.29 - 162bpm
    .5m walk/rest
    .33 cool down -143bpm

Nutters.
    Well done Killian ! Great running n strong steady heart rate ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi all

I've had the honour of being appointed this years mentor for the DCM novices thread. I will be assisted my Blockic and Career Move (so one glamorous assistant anyway ;))

I do however have a favour to ask of my fellow novices from last year. One of the things I'd like to do with this years thread is each week, during the main training weeks, have one for want of a better phrase "guest speaker" who would give a brief run down of their first DCM story from deciding to do it, through training and finally the day itself. A lot / the bulk of that could be a copy and paste from your race report so it shouldn't be too much of a chore but I am hoping to get 18 people whose story would provide motivation for this years group. And obviously a majority from the previous years thread would be preferable ! It's a while away in fairness but I'm raising the flag now as advance warning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Hi all

I've had the honour of being appointed this years mentor for the DCM novices thread. I will be assisted my Blockic and Career Move (so one glamorous assistant anyway ;))

I do however have a favour to ask of my fellow novices from last year. One of the things I'd like to do with this years thread is each week, during the main training weeks, have one for want of a better phrase "guest speaker" who would give a brief run down of their first DCM story from deciding to do it, through training and finally the day itself. A lot / the bulk of that could be a copy and paste from your race report so it shouldn't be too much of a chore but I am hoping to get 18 people whose story would provide motivation for this years group. And obviously a majority from the previous years thread would be preferable ! It's a while away in fairness but I'm raising the flag now as advance warning. :D

Hi PM, I'd be glad to be a 'guest speaker' for next years rookies. While I may not have the best stories from the day since it didn't go great I've learned a lot in the last few months as to why that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hi all

Best of luck PM, i know you'll do a fantastic job mentoring this years crew. They'll have plenty of HTFU if they take after there mentor. Sorry about your assistants though, really scraping the barrel there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tang1 wrote: »

Best of luck PM, i know you'll do a fantastic job mentoring this years crew. They'll have plenty of HTFU if they take after there mentor. Sorry about your assistants though, really scraping the barrel there!!

+ 1

Mileage junkies..... What a bad example they'll be setting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Gavlor wrote: »
    + 1

Mileage junkies..... What a bad example they'll be setting

Just balances off my struggling to hit 5k's at the moment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Hi all

Great idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Nice idea PM - feel free to give a shout if you need. I'm sure the 3 of you will do a mighty job.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Nice idea PM - feel free to give a shout if you need. I'm sure the 3 of you will do a mighty job.
    +1

• Advertisement

I'd be happy to contribute to the novice thread in any way I can PM. Just think, a whole new group to bore with my running waffle!

Advertisement