Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

6.55 miles easy @8:46 avg....avg HR 134

Felt good even though I didn't get out till 9pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Pick me pick me.........my family don't listen to me anymore, so I'd love a captive audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hi all

I've had the honour of being appointed this years mentor for the DCM novices thread. I will be assisted my Blockic and Career Move (so one glamorous assistant anyway ;))

One for early morning runners and one for evening runners...perfect!! :D
    Glamorous? I've never been called that before...thanks PM!! ;)

Watch your shins next time you meet CM!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

+1
    Yeah ditto for me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

blockic wrote: »

Ha - I knew with 100% certainty that comment was coming the moment I posted.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'd be delighted to help out, Pageant Messiah if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I'll help too PM, if you'd like some input from the slower end of the scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ha - I knew with 100% certainty that comment was coming the moment I posted.

:D
    I won't fight with you to be the glamorous one Blockic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

One for early morning runners and one for evening runners...perfect!! :D
    I won't fight with you to be the glamorous one Blockic ;)
    Now, now, don't fall out.... you ALL have lovely bottoms :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Hi all

I've had the honour of being appointed this years mentor for the DCM novices thread. I will be assisted my Blockic and Career Move (so one glamorous assistant anyway ;))

I do however have a favour to ask of my fellow novices from last year. One of the things I'd like to do with this years thread is each week, during the main training weeks, have one for want of a better phrase "guest speaker" who would give a brief run down of their first DCM story from deciding to do it, through training and finally the day itself. A lot / the bulk of that could be a copy and paste from your race report so it shouldn't be too much of a chore but I am hoping to get 18 people whose story would provide motivation for this years group. And obviously a majority from the previous years thread would be preferable ! It's a while away in fairness but I'm raising the flag now as advance warning. :D

I will be following this thread closely when it starts. And no doubt being a massive pain in the arse with incessant questions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I will be following this thread closely when it starts. And no doubt being a massive pain in the arse with incessant questions! :D

Feel free to ask in here even before the thread starts, there's plenty of people floating around this thread that know what they're talking about (not me) :) and theyre a friendly ol bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I'll help too PM, if you'd like some input from the slower end of the scale

Me too, happy to help if I can. Looking back I made some typical rookie mistakes resulting in numerous injuries, hopefully someone can learn something from where I went wrong :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

ncmc wrote: »
    You should read Born to Run by Christopher MacDougall Rasher, I’ve just finished it

Rasher, I've just read this too and it's good, I can let you have it if you want.

Also thks for your company on Wed it was nice having a running buddy.
    Here was our trip around from Runkeeper
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Walkedit/activity/152791582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Walkedit wrote: »
    Rasher, I've just read this too and it's good, I can let you have it if you want.

Also thks for your company on Wed it was nice having a running buddy.
    Here was our trip around from Runkeeper
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Walkedit/activity/152791582

Ah thanks Walkedit :)
    Would you believe my little sis gave me 4 books last year to read and one of them was Born to Run.
    I have to admit I'm a bit of a rag mag reader and prefer reading the nasty public comments at the end of the Daily Mail online :D
    I have also since received the P&D book but if the Gods are on my side this year and I'm feeling good then I might actually study that book only because it will serve a purpose.
    Had a really nice run with you, although I could feel the leg, it didn't give me any bother afterwards. I think I need to keep the runs to every second day for the next week or so and not be trying to do more than I'm fit for.
    Thanks for the record, I actually had it myself as well from my phone. My run ended up as 6.08. So was tiny bit longer going up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Crap timing to pick up an injury but can't shake runners knee since last weeks lsr,could miss Bohermeen unless its better by tomorrow. It's the annoying type of injury where you could still physically run if you push it but there's no way I'm risking 13 miles,my running career could ended before it starts.

icing and resting etc as much as possible but I wont know how it is until I test it.

good idea about the weekly guest speaker pm, I know I took heart from posts from recent marathon conquerors last year,would be glad to do one.

Anyone got any pointers on training using Heartrate? Since I've started back post injury it has become all too apparent that the paces I could do I no longer can, I wasn't fast to begin with :-(
    So I've decided to try and ignore pace for the moment (as it's too depressing) and try to do some runs by HR. I figure you get resting HR over a few mornings, and I suppose a steep hill as fast as I can will give me an indication of max HR ish?
    After that I'd welcome any advice anyone has. Thanks D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

ncmc wrote: »

Now, now, don't luck l out.... you ALL have lovely bottoms :p

Isn't that the Fr Ted's line?

Well done PM on novice thread and good luck to the acolytes too - on thread and weekend racing also. Ye will be a great team

If I can help just shout but if OK i expect might be loitering anyway and chipping in. Along with Deedee I'd be slow and steady faction

Just catching up also and wanted to thank New Runner up for posts - awe inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Count my lovely bottom in too. Great idea PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Anyone got any pointers on training using Heartrate? Since I've started back post injury it has become all too apparent that the paces I could do I no longer can, I wasn't fast to begin with :-(
    So I've decided to try and ignore pace for the moment (as it's too depressing) and try to do some runs by HR. I figure you get resting HR over a few mornings, and I suppose a steep hill as fast as I can will give me an indication of max HR ish?
    After that I'd welcome any advice anyone has. Thanks D
    Hiya this is what I go by, can seem a bit daunting to start with but once u establish your HRR it's actually not so bad, take a look n if u have any questions ill try n help if I can. Others may have different info that may help but I find this quite good. So zone 1 is ur easy pace which u use for recovery runs up to zone 5 which is at 90-95% of ur HRR n the zones explain what runs use each run for etc. good luck
    http://www.inishowenac.com/images/Training/HeartRateZones.pdf

Also found this article online,think it was from runners world , something similar really , hope helps.
    http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrtp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

dechol wrote: »
    Count my lovely bottom in too. Great idea PM.

+1 to this,any help Ye guys want just give a shout :-)

Anyone interested in about 6/7 mile run in Phoenix park at about 10 to 10.30 pace on Sunday morning about 10am?

Hi all

I do however have a favour to ask of my fellow novices from last year. One of the things I'd like to do with this years thread is each week, during the main training weeks, have one for want of a better phrase "guest speaker" who would give a brief run down of their first DCM story from deciding to do it, through training and finally the day itself. A lot / the bulk of that could be a copy and paste from your race report so it shouldn't be too much of a chore but I am hoping to get 18 people whose story would provide motivation for this years group. And obviously a majority from the previous years thread would be preferable ! It's a while away in fairness but I'm raising the flag now as advance warning. :D

I'd be happy to share my experiences too PM.Having done the last two DCMs but still not quite hit my target, I've learned a lot through mistakes, recovering from injuries etc.

New runner wrote: »
    Hiya this is what I go by, can seem a bit daunting to start with but once u establish your HRR it's actually not so bad, take a look n if u have any questions ill try n help if I can. Others may have different info that may help but I find this quite good. So zone 1 is ur easy pace which u use for recovery runs up to zone 5 which is at 90-95% of ur HRR n the zones explain what runs use each run for etc. good luck
    http://www.inishowenac.com/images/Training/HeartRateZones.pdf

Also found this article online,think it was from runners world , something similar really , hope helps.
    http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrtp

Thanks a mill will have a good look at this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

rasher_m wrote: »
    I don't know how popular it is, I went into Hughes & Hughes and Easons and neither had it in stock. Could've been the branches I went to.

Good point Rasher. I think P&D is obviously good for some people but I too am surprised how uncritically it has been taken up by so many of us here, most of whom seem to be on just a second marathon.

I am following a gentler plan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Trial / test run for Marlay Parkrun done this morning. its a great course with steady start, up through the forest then a testing but very manageable uphill leading to a fast gentle downhill / flat to the finish.

Starts & finishes behind the house & is very much in front of the general public using the park which should generate a decent atmosphere. The market and coffee shop is there at the start/finish area as well which will keep waiting families & kids occupied & entertained while partners are running.

Anyone planning on attending can park in the rear (college rd) car park and use the 5 min jog down to warm up, or you can bus it to the Grange Rd entrance, theres a stop right outside the gates. Apparently close to 200 have registered for it so there'll be a great crowd next week for the first official run.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Good point Rasher. I think P&D is obviously good for some people but I too am surprised how uncritically it has been taken up by so many of us here, most of whom seem to be on just a second marathon.

I am following a gentler plan myself.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll have the time for this kind of commitment if I do decide to do Dublin. I may have to plod along with Hal again. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, whether it's Bohermeen or Ballycotton or elsewhere. I have to admit to being kinda envious of you all - as always, enjoy it and don't fret too much if it doesn't turn out quite as you'd hoped, just as long as you've given it your best shot on the day.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, whether it's Bohermeen or Ballycotton or elsewhere. I have to admit to being kinda envious of you all - as always, enjoy it and don't fret too much if it doesn't turn out quite as you'd hoped, just as long as you've given it your best shot on the day.

+1 to that.

• Advertisement

^^^ +1 to that.

7.25 miles easy today. Plan is for 12 LSR tomorrow with maybe a few at HM pace. Busy day though so it'll either be early morning run or late evening.

Advertisement