Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

77:30 for me in Ballycotton 10 today (shameless plug alert) full race report in my log!

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804989&page=11

Great race, really well organised. Challenging course, especially the fact that it ends with a 2 mile hill :( So I'm pleased enough with my time, but confident that I've a sub 75 10 mile in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

menoscemo wrote: »

I ran 1:26 myself, so as off today he is officially barred from this thread :D

Another good night in the mentors lounge over brandy and cigars meno...take it easy on the rest of em;-)....great run by the way yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    ... it ends with a 2 mile hill...
    :eek:

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    :eek:

Tell me about it! And a steep one at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

1:36:01 for me today in Bohermeen, a pb by 10 seconds since Waterford hm back at the start of December.

Delighted with that after a hard run race, sorry to have missed so many board folks but I was on the back foot a bit after a sleepless night with a vomiting bug child.

Well done to all for some great racing and lsrs, I'll write a report when I get to a proper keyboard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Amazing running today folks, well done, hard work paying off! Great to hear of so many hitting their targets n by a mile too in lots of cases! Great job! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Was down in Balyycotton good & early this morning as suggested but this really left a lot of time to kill,a lot of strolling around pre-race.It was quite cold but the wind chill factor made it feel even colder.Eventually took the plunge & dropped my bag & tracksuit & headed off an a warm-up.Not the easiset place in the world to do a warmup with approx 3,500 people around on a narrow street with a dead end but did manage 3 miles for myself.

Was waiting around the start line when I met ncmc(with her nice new shiny pink runners) & a work colleague of hers.After chatting for a few minutes we were off but the start was a right drag trying to pass people out even though we were around the 75min mark starting zone.

As ncmc has already said the start was downhill but unlike the 5mile race I did a few weeks ago found it difficult to take advantage of it.With the numbers on the course you were never really running on your own although at times there were groups of people running together in the initial few miles as because the roads were narrow, sometimes the only option to overtake was to use the ditch.

Passed the half way gantry @ 37:38,I new at this stage my hopes of going sub 75mins would be vey slim especially with the last 2.5miles being uphill but still pushed on as best I could.

Met a neighbour from the neighbouring village at the 8 mile mark(she was telling me about an upcoming 10K charity race I hadn't heards about) before heading off as strong as my weakening legs would go.Started to to really feel the pressure at the 9 mile mark,stomach was hurting, the hills seemed tougher than they looked & the sea breeze seemed to be against us.The last kilometere was marked every 200metre when seemed to take an eternity to pass but somehow managed to muster up some energy to pass a few other runners as we crossed the line.

Official chip time 1:16:17, 9 seconds slower than Dungarvan a few weeks ago but on a tougher course that was more energy sapping,I have to be happy with the result,The sub 75min attempt will just have to roll on for another day but the bigger picture for now is to have an attempt at a 3:30 marathon in Cork,it may be slightly out of reach but I won't know unless i try for it.

It was good to meet up with ncmc agin at the finish before we all parted ways.

||1 Mile|2 Mile|3 Mile|4 Mile|5 Mile|6Mile|7 Mile|8 Mile|9 Mile|10 Mile|
    |Pace|7:39|7:18|7:25|7:37|7:25|7:33|7:35|7:46|7:54|7:44|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running.... The hill cost you over 30 seconds so a 75 is well within reach

scriba wrote: »
    Just back from Ballycotton, unofficially clocked myself at 75:53, a 6 min pb for my 10 mile. :D Marathon miles are definitely helping, felt very tired at the end, but after half a mars bar, I could happily have ambled up to another starting line. :P

Must have only just missed you,I was 76:17,well done on your run

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great running.... The hill cost you over 30 seconds so a 75 is well within reach
    Yeah that fantastic mile pace! Well done, u will do sub 75 soon for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

77:30 for me in Ballycotton 10 today
    docjewel wrote: »
    Official chip time 1:16:17

Great running guys. I don't know how I missed you both, with such similar times. :confused: Mind you, that last mile was torment. I was swearing at the 600m sign, and all subsequent ones. I barely recognised the finish line.

Was that last 1000m a bit longer than it was marked out? Everyone seems to be commenting on how long it seemed!

Must have only just missed you,I was 76:17,well done on your run

Likewise! Any plan for upcoming races?

Was that last 1000m a bit longer than it was marked out? Everyone seems to be commenting on how long it seemed!

Only in my head, I'd say. I think it was those luminous green boards that did it for me. I find miles long anyway, since I normally count in km. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Brilliant running by everyone today!! Its great to see all the work that everyone puts in ins paying off!!

Boards is on fire with activity today and tonight..I can't keep up!!

Race went very well for me today. Thanks for all your support.

Race report here.
    I ran 1:26 myself, so as off today he is officially barred from this thread :D

:(... I better create another alias for myself and sneak on!! Or I'll just pop in but ignore your posts! :P;)
    tang1 wrote: »
    You thought to well oh great one!!

He sure did!! He should follow his own plans! :D
    upthe19th wrote: »
    Another good night in the mentors lounge over brandy and cigars meno...take it easy on the rest of em;-)....great run by the way yourself.

At the rate I'm going, he'll have a free bar in Limerick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »

At the rate I'm going, he'll have a free bar in Limerick!!

If I can claim all the plaudits and get a free bar in Limerick then you are welcome to stay on this thread ;)*

*Don't be any of you getting similar ideas unless you can offer similar bribes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't be any of you getting similar ideas unless you can offer similar bribes :P

Nah - you're way faster than me - if I ever get quick enough to need to bribe you, I'll be quite happy to do so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done to everybody who raced this weeked. Enjoyed reading the reports, the majority of which I was so in admiration of! Great to see hard work paying off for so many on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Just read through this log......wow!!

Fantastic running everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Just read through this log......wow!!

Fantastic running everyone.

+1. I'm dizzy here.

But I think we all know who the real winners were.

Thanks Jacobs....Jaysus I love fig rolls and tay;).

• Advertisement

scriba wrote: »
    Likewise! Any plan for upcoming races?

Cork City Marathon is the next target race(not signed up yet, will have to be good to Mrs Docjewel for mothers day & should get the thumbs up to sign up then:D).

Great Island 10 would be an ideal warm up race for Cork but that weekend at the moment is out for me,maybe the Bandon Half Marathon which is 3 weeks before Cork,other that hope to do a few extra 5 mile or even 10k races this year,once family commitments allow;)

Bohermeen Half Marathon
    PB 1:36:01
    Previous best: 1:36:11

After a crappy nights sleep looking after a child with the vomiting bug I wasn't very well prepared when my friend came to pick me up for the drive to Bohermeen. But still, over the last few days my desire to get a PB had hardened so we discussed strategy on the way up and even got a glimpse of part of the course as we approach Bohermeen itself.

Conditions were perfect with no wind and cool temperatures. There was a good pre-race buzz about and I knew there were boards folks around but had failed to see if there were any arrangements to meet up due to attending to Sick Boy. Sorry to have missed you all, particularly as there were a good bunch of us in and around the 1'36 mark.

Our plan was to run 7:30's for 5/6 miles and then up the pace in order to come in around 1:36, however from the off - thanks to my running partner's pace setting - we were banking time all the way consistently coming in around the 7:20 required to hit 1:36 on a steady pace.

Miles 1 - 4: We started fairly close to the line so there wasn't too much traffic is spite of the narrow roads. After settling in for the first mile or so a guy sat in and ran directly behind us for the next five miles or so. He was breathing like he was running with a snorkel in his mouth and he stayed within inches of us for miles taking no part in any banter, just hanging on like a limpit. If he was playing a psychological game designed to annoy me, it worked :) Thankfully, at the first sign of a hill he fell away never to be seen again.

Miles 5 - 9: we ran on maintaining a good pace and continuously gaining time. I felt good but also felt that I was running about as fast as I comfortably could, so I had a few moments of doubt during these miles, wondering if I was going to blow up and have to ease off. After a while we ended up running with two more people, a guy in a red shirt and a girl in purple. Without communicating we all ran together and steadily caught and passed several runners as the miles passed. Good times.

After a while the guy fell back and the girl ran on with us, I was impressed with her running and started to suspect she was going to put the foot down at some stage and burn us, which she eventually did when I slowed down slightly to take on a gel around mile 7.5.

Around mile nine I got my customary in-race stitch which made it difficult to keep the pace, but I just about managed to do so. Mentally the stitch concerned me as I had been starting to think the PB was looking good if we could continue to make ground. Thankfully it eased off after 10 minutes or so.

Miles 10 - 13.1: The good thing about a looped course is that you know what's coming up on the second loop and can plan accordingly. After the first loop my pal and I had decided we'd up the pace after the one significant hill on the course which occured at around miles 5.5 and 11.5.

As we passed the bridge over the M3 and the 11 mile mark I realised we had about 16 minutes to cover the last two and a bit miles and get a pb. It was just about on but it was going to be tight.

By this stage the purple girl was about 50 meters ahead, a lead she maintained as we hit the hill. To make matters worse, Mr Red Shirt had passed us again and put a bit of space between us. Still, things were under control and we got up the hill without difficulty.

It was time to make our move and we stepped it up a gear and started making ground on our previous running partners. I can't imagine either of them were best pleased when we passed them soon after the 12 mile mark. At this stage the end was almost in sight so we continued to up the speed taking out plenty of runners in the process.

All the while I was checking my watch. The time seemed to be ticking away faster than than the distance so I had about 30 seconds left to get finished up within pb territory as the final meters approached. It was all going to come down to how far the finish line was from the final turn into the Bohermeen grounds.

My running buddy was about 10 meters ahead of me as we rounded the corner for home. The distance was about 100 meters so I went all out for a sprint finish and crossed the line stopping my watch at 1:36:01, which turned out to be my exact chip time too. It was close but I'd managed a pb, as had my buddy who finished two seconds ahead.

Delighted with the PB we tucked into the wonderful food laid out by the race organisers in Bohermeen.

On reflection today I'm pleased with the race. I think it's the first time I've run a race consistently at a pace which was about as fast as I could manage, as such it was my hardest won pb. Roll on Paris.

Here are the splits.

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|.1
    07:20.4 | 07:13.0 | 07:21.3 | 07:19.4 | 07:24.8 | 07:18.3 | 07:22.0 | 07:15.1 | 07:19.6 | 07:15.1 | 07:26.1 | 07:16.2 | 06:54.0 | 01:16.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

coalshed wrote: »
    Bohermeen Half Marathon
    PB 1:36:01
    Previous best: 1:36:11

After a crappy nights sleep looking after a child with the vomiting bug I wasn't very well prepared when my friend came to pick me up for the drive to Bohermeen. But still, over the last few days my desire to get a PB had hardened so we discussed strategy on the way up and even got a glimpse of part of the course as we approach Bohermeen itself.

Conditions were perfect with no wind and cool temperatures. There was a good pre-race buzz about and I knew there were boards folks around but had failed to see if there were any arrangements to meet up due to attending to Sick Boy. Sorry to have missed you all, particularly as there were a good bunch of us in and around the 1'36 mark.

Our plan was to run 7:30's for 5/6 miles and then up the pace in order to come in around 1:36, however from the off - thanks to my running partner's pace setting - we were banking time all the way consistently coming in around the 7:20 required to hit 1:36 on a steady pace.

Miles 1 - 4: We started fairly close to the line so there wasn't too much traffic is spite of the narrow roads. After settling in for the first mile or so a guy sat in and ran directly behind us for the next five miles or so. He was breathing like he was running with a snorkel in his mouth and he stayed within inches of us for miles taking no part in any banter, just hanging on like a limpit. If he was playing a psychological game designed to annoy me, it worked :) Thankfully, at the first sign of a hill he fell away never to be seen again.

Miles 5 - 9: we ran on maintaining a good pace and continuously gaining time. I felt good but also felt that I was running about as fast as I comfortably could, so I had a few moments of doubt during these miles, wondering if I was going to blow up and have to ease off. After a while we ended up running with two more people, a guy in a red shirt and a girl in purple. Without communicating we all ran together and steadily caught and passed several runners as the miles passed. Good times.

After a while the guy fell back and the girl ran on with us, I was impressed with her running and started to suspect she was going to put the foot down at some stage and burn us, which she eventually did when I slowed down slightly to take on a gel around mile 7.5.

Around mile nine I got my customary in-race stitch which made it difficult to keep the pace, but I just about managed to do so. Mentally the stitch concerned me as I had been starting to think the PB was looking good if we could continue to make ground. Thankfully it eased off after 10 minutes or so.

Miles 10 - 13.1: The good thing about a looped course is that you know what's coming up on the second loop and can plan accordingly. After the first loop my pal and I had decided we'd up the pace after the one significant hill on the course which occured at around miles 5.5 and 11.5.

As we passed the bridge over the M3 and the 11 mile mark I realised we had about 16 minutes to cover the last two and a bit miles and get a pb. It was just about on but it was going to be tight.

By this stage the purple girl was about 50 meters ahead, a lead she maintained as we hit the hill. To make matters worse, Mr Red Shirt had passed us again and put a bit of space between us. Still, things were under control and we got up the hill without difficulty.

It was time to make our move and we stepped it up a gear and started making ground on our previous running partners. I can't imagine either of them were best pleased when we passed them soon after the 12 mile mark. At this stage the end was almost in sight so we continued to up the speed taking out plenty of runners in the process.

All the while I was checking my watch. The time seemed to be ticking away faster than than the distance so I had about 30 seconds left to get finished up within pb territory as the final meters approached. It was all going to come down to how far the finish line was from the final turn into the Bohermeen grounds.

My running buddy was about 10 meters ahead of me as we rounded the corner for home. The distance was about 100 meters so I went all out for a sprint finish and crossed the line stopping my watch at 1:36:01, which turned out to be my exact chip time too. It was close but I'd managed a pb, as had my buddy who finished two seconds ahead.

Delighted with the PB we tucked into the wonderful food laid out by the race organisers in Bohermeen.

On reflection today I'm pleased with the race. I think it's the first time I've run a race consistently at a pace which was about as fast as I could manage, as such it was my hardest won pb. Roll on Paris.

Here are the splits.

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|.1
    07:20.4 | 07:13.0 | 07:21.3 | 07:19.4 | 07:24.8 | 07:18.3 | 07:22.0 | 07:15.1 | 07:19.6 | 07:15.1 | 07:26.1 | 07:16.2 | 06:54.0 | 01:16.2

That was a good report. i liked that.

Don't know about good but it's certainly lengthy enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Race report
    Well done to all on your races, really enjoying the reports. Here’s mine:
    The “big day” finally came yesterday, set an ambitious target for this one and naturally the jitters snuck up on me with some crazy dreams and loads of nerves. Took the week before the race off completely due to a knee niggle and this probably added to the anxiety.
    1:40:xx was my Half Marathon pb and easily my best race last year so I knew my sub 1:34 was not something to take lightly. 7:10 minute miles all the way, I shudder even thinking about it, these paces were light-speed last year starting off.
    Met up with fellow club members, hit the road and got their in plenty of time and after a quick change, chat and a chilly stroll to the start line, we were finally underway. I really should have jogged out to warm up.
    Lap 1, miles 1 -6
    Its great having a nice long stretch at the start as everyone can find their own pace and sort into the right order. Past the club house and got the first mile, felt grand. No problem with crowds and settled into the pace fairly well. Bit of pain in the knee but I knew when I warmed up it wouldn’t feel it too much. Met a girl after mile 2 that was running watchless looking for 7:15 pace which she settled into with a couple of lads behind me ( think that may have been career move after reading a post on the race thread, should have said hi). Their banter kept me entertained for a while but I knew I needed to push on if I wanted to make my time. So I decided to push on over the hills, concentrated hard and got over them without dropping the pace. Over the 2nd motorway bridge no problem but that stretch back to the start line took forever.
    ||1|2|3|4|5|6|
    |Pace|7:05|7:09|7:09|7:10|7:04|7:07|

Lap 2, miles 7 – 12
    Back to the club house passing a few 5k participants and I was getting a bit jealous that they were nearly home. Since I had got over half way relatively comfortably I decided to push on in mile 8 but anything more than 7-7:10 just didn’t feel right. I was starting to slowly catch a few other runners which helped getting my mind in order for the 2 hills to come. Got over the first one ok, but at the peak of the second one I noticed my pace was dropping a little. Up until now my mile paces were consistent but each mile seemed to start slow followed by a huge effort to get under 7:10. I missed this one. It was 7:11. I had no idea if I was on track for sub 1:34 but I knew I definitely shouldn’t have been going outside 7:10. Damn it, I had got too complacent, I thought I had it in the bag
    ||7|8|9|10|11|12|
    |Pace|7:08|7:04|7:08|7:07|7:07|7:11|

Final 1.1 Miles
    7: 30 is the current pace for the lap after .2 of the mile and heavy breathing and louder footsteps crept up on me, my pace was slowing and (unknown to me) my target time was slowly going out of my grasp. I was just concentrating on running as fast as I could, which didn’t seem all that fast. There was someone on my shoulder though and if they passed me I just knew that would have killed me. Demoralising. Game over. The start of the slippery slide of plummeting pace was all that was ahead of me.
    A few words of encouragement from this stranger on my shoulder “that’s it, keep going” – it gave me a spring in my step. Found a bit of juice but I could feel that I was running on fumes. Encouragement slowly turned to taunting as we passed the start line and I saw my nemesis about to overtake me, a tall man with a few years on me – he said “don’t let me beat you”….I pushed on another few yards passed him again with some hidden energy reserve from god knows where.
    Shortly before the clubhouse now and all politeness was out the window, “run ya little b****x” he roared in my ear and that got the last bit of energy out me. This was so painful but I’m so close to home. Into the track now and on the final sprint he puts some distance between us but he did enough to drag my ass home in 1:33:54. I only realised later that night when I checked my exact time that only for him I would have been fairly disappointed to miss my target. So thank you stranger.
    So there you have it, delighted with the result, and never enjoyed a cuppa so much as afterwards. Its mad, running is such a lonely sport at times, but at others, like that clubhouse - it’s the friendliest sport in the world. The best thing about it is that good day you have, when you work your backside off for weeks and it pays off, I’m grateful I had one of them yesterday and I’ll savour that as fuel to get me going for the next target, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

miguelk wrote: »
    Race report
    Well done to all on your races, really enjoying the reports. Here’s mine:
    The “big day” finally came yesterday, set an ambitious target for this one and naturally the jitters snuck up on me with some crazy dreams and loads of nerves. Took the week before the race off completely due to a knee niggle and this probably added to the anxiety.
    1:40:xx was my Half Marathon pb and easily my best race last year so I knew my sub 1:34 was not something to take lightly. 7:10 minute miles all the way, I shudder even thinking about it, these paces were light-speed last year starting off.
    Met up with fellow club members, hit the road and got their in plenty of time and after a quick change, chat and a chilly stroll to the start line, we were finally underway. I really should have jogged out to warm up.
    Lap 1, miles 1 -6
    Its great having a nice long stretch at the start as everyone can find their own pace and sort into the right order. Past the club house and got the first mile, felt grand. No problem with crowds and settled into the pace fairly well. Bit of pain in the knee but I knew when I warmed up it wouldn’t feel it too much. Met a girl after mile 2 that was running watchless looking for 7:15 pace which she settled into with a couple of lads behind me ( think that may have been career move after reading a post on the race thread, should have said hi). Their banter kept me entertained for a while but I knew I needed to push on if I wanted to make my time. So I decided to push on over the hills, concentrated hard and got over them without dropping the pace. Over the 2nd motorway bridge no problem but that stretch back to the start line took forever.
    ||1|2|3|4|5|6|
    |Pace|7:05|7:09|7:09|7:10|7:04|7:07|

Lap 2, miles 7 – 12
    Back to the club house passing a few 5k participants and I was getting a bit jealous that they were nearly home. Since I had got over half way relatively comfortably I decided to push on in mile 8 but anything more than 7-7:10 just didn’t feel right. I was starting to slowly catch a few other runners which helped getting my mind in order for the 2 hills to come. Got over the first one ok, but at the peak of the second one I noticed my pace was dropping a little. Up until now my mile paces were consistent but each mile seemed to start slow followed by a huge effort to get under 7:10. I missed this one. It was 7:11. I had no idea if I was on track for sub 1:34 but I knew I definitely shouldn’t have been going outside 7:10. Damn it, I had got too complacent, I thought I had it in the bag
    ||7|8|9|10|11|12|
    |Pace|7:08|7:04|7:08|7:07|7:07|7:11|

Final 1.1 Miles
    7: 30 is the current pace for the lap after .2 of the mile and heavy breathing and louder footsteps crept up on me, my pace was slowing and (unknown to me) my target time was slowly going out of my grasp. I was just concentrating on running as fast as I could, which didn’t seem all that fast. There was someone on my shoulder though and if they passed me I just knew that would have killed me. Demoralising. Game over. The start of the slippery slide of plummeting pace was all that was ahead of me.
    A few words of encouragement from this stranger on my shoulder “that’s it, keep going” – it gave me a spring in my step. Found a bit of juice but I could feel that I was running on fumes. Encouragement slowly turned to taunting as we passed the start line and I saw my nemesis about to overtake me, a tall man with a few years on me – he said “don’t let me beat you”….I pushed on another few yards passed him again with some hidden energy reserve from god knows where.
    Shortly before the clubhouse now and all politeness was out the window, “run ya little b****x” he roared in my ear and that got the last bit of energy out me. This was so painful but I’m so close to home. Into the track now and on the final sprint he puts some distance between us but he did enough to drag my ass home in 1:33:54. I only realised later that night when I checked my exact time that only for him I would have been fairly disappointed to miss my target. So thank you stranger.
    So there you have it, delighted with the result, and never enjoyed a cuppa so much as afterwards. Its mad, running is such a lonely sport at times, but at others, like that clubhouse - it’s the friendliest sport in the world. The best thing about it is that good day you have, when you work your backside off for weeks and it pays off, I’m grateful I had one of them yesterday and I’ll savour that as fuel to get me going for the next target, bring it on!
    Super effort well done! I was feeling your pain reading that last mile!! Great improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haha yes that was me miguel :D Your race report was great. Well done :D

Great race report Miguel, I LOL'd at the 'gentle' encouragement from the mystery stranger :D

Great running and a well earned PB!

Great Island 10 would be an ideal warm up race for Cork but that weekend at the moment is out for me,maybe the Bandon Half Marathon which is 3 weeks before Cork,other that hope to do a few extra 5 mile or even 10k races this year,once family commitments allow;)

I really enjoyed both of those last year, but I wasn't training for CCM then! I'm probably going to do one of the two of them, but I'm undecided as yet which one to do. At least at €18 and €20, they're not going to break the bank.

Good luck with getting signed up for CCM, that's the main one. :)

• Advertisement

Fantastic race reports folks! Am I the only 1 with stomach in knots reading them, urging u all on n feeling all the effort! It's mad, it's like been in the thick of it, right there with u! Guys u could always take up writing in your spare time! Well done n fantastic running! Loved reading these reports even though my heart pumping outta my chest!

Advertisement