Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ok, after consultation with my VERY patient and long suffering husband, I have decided the Keswick HM would be a bad idea, too hilly and too much of a risk of a confidence knock or worse, a physical knock.

So, instead I have decided to do…….. Wexford HM on April 21st :D

It’s a wee bit of a trek for me (2 hours each way) and it’s a bit pricey at €40, but it’s fast, flat and scenic, so should give me an excellent chance of getting a good time and it’s perfect timing for Cork. Hopefully the weather will be nice and we can make a bit of a day of it…. I’ve promised to make the ham sandwiches and the tae!

I think there are a few others from here doing it, so hopefully I’ll meet another couple of Boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

1:40 slow! Jeez where does that leave the rest of us! ;)

I'm hoping for sub 2 hrs in my next half, I think I'm going to have to set up a new breakaway thread, it's getting too embarrassing to be posting on here :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    Ok, after consultation with my VERY patient and long suffering husband, I have decided the Keswick HM would be a bad idea, too hilly and too much of a risk of a confidence knock or worse, a physical knock.

It’s a wee bit of a trek for me (2 hours each way) and it’s a bit pricey at €40, but it’s fast, flat and scenic, so should give me an excellent chance of getting a good time and it’s perfect timing for Cork. Hopefully the weather will be nice and we can make a bit of a day of it…. I’ve promised to make the ham sandwiches and the tae!

I think there are a few others from here doing it, so hopefully I’ll meet another couple of Boardsies!

That's a good choice. A very nice route. there is a little bit of a drag between miles 2-5 but that means the last half of the route is all flat and Downhill. I paced it a few times and have always thought it would be a good course for a PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

ncmc wrote: »

Good Choice! See you there ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I'm hoping for sub 2 hrs in my next half, I think I'm going to have to set up a new breakaway thread, it's getting too embarrassing to be posting on here :-)

LOL:D, I feel the same way myself - I'll be lucky to break 1.50 for my next half & theres people in the 1.2....s:eek::eek::eek: Hey,where did the "just get me to the finish line, I dont care about the time people go":eek::eek:

Only joking by the way, fantastic progression by everyone at every level & being out pounding the roads is always better than looking at (& eating)the crap thats on the tv any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

docrock wrote: »

LOL:D, I feel the same way myself - I'll be lucky to break 1.50 for my next half & theres people in the 1.2....s:eek::eek::eek: Hey,where did the "just get me to the finish line, I dont care about the time people go":eek::eek:

Only joking by the way, fantastic progression by everyone at every level & being out pounding the roads is always better than looking at (& eating)the crap thats on the tv any day.
    Thank god I not the only 1 feeling a bit useless in comparison ! Really really happy for u guys n so impressed n yeah "green" with envy n admiration but bit intimidating for us slower 1's lol!! Eek!!

New runner wrote: »
    Thank god I not the only 1 feeling a bit useless in comparison ! Really really happy for u guys n so impressed n yeah "green" with envy n admiration but bit intimidating for us slower 1's lol!! Eek!!

Ok people this is it, myself, deedee, new runner maybe killian (if we let him in cos he's too famous;);):D) & anyone else on here that wants to join are going to rack up to the start line at DCM13 & having never met before well run together & crack 4hrs:eek::eek: ................................& retire gracefully:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

................................& retire gracefully:D
    That'll never happen.....once you crack 4, you'll want 3:45......then 3:30 etc etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I didn't feel the love for 10m today so took myself to the gym and did it on a treadmill with the incline set at 2.

I did it, thats good, but I feel a little dirty for using the machine. I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I didn't feel the love for 10m today so took myself to the gym and did it on a treadmill with the incline set at 2.

I did it, thats good, but I feel a little dirty for using the machine. I'm sorry.

That sounds grim. I did 8 miles today, 7 around a football pitch, and I felt like bludgeoning myself to death with my own runners. 10 miles on a treadmill?! Madness! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Ok people this is it, myself, deedee, new runner maybe killian (if we let him in cos he's too famous;);):D) & anyone else on here that wants to join are going to rack up to the start line at DCM13 & having never met before well run together & crack 4hrs:eek::eek: ................................& retire gracefully:D

Oh good my kinda group !!

That'll never happen.....once you crack 4, you'll want 3:45......then 3:30 etc etc :D[/QUOTE

I'm easily pleased - 3.59.59 will do me;)
    Ok people this is it, myself, deedee, new runner maybe killian (if we let him in cos he's too famous;);):D) & anyone else on here that wants to join are going to rack up to the start line at DCM13 & having never met before well run together & crack 4hrs:eek::eek: ................................& retire gracefully TO THE BAR:D

Typo,just fixed it:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Please include me in the slowies! Four hours??? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Got myself Advanced Marathoning by P+D in the post today.

Looking forward to being able to understand Blockics log :D

Ok 4 hours erm, right, great, jaysus

In a bid to fit in with all the speedsters I did a club session 10 x 400 repeats, I'm glad I had no dinner cos my lunch was very close to making a reappearance. That's the first speedwork I've done since pre DCM, I really enjoyed it perversely.

I will say, respect to any of you who do such sessions on your own, the club atmosphere is the only thing that kept me going this evening. Would very much recommend joining a club to any of you who are thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

In a bid to fit in with all the speedsters I did a club session 10 x 400 repeats, I'm glad I had no dinner cos my lunch was very close to making a reappearance. That's the first speedwork I've done since pre DCM, I really enjoyed it perversely.

I will say, respect to any of you who do such sessions on your own, the club atmosphere is the only thing that kept me going this evening. Would very much recommend joining a club to any of you who are thinking about it.

Well done, I fecking hate those kind of sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Was at my own club this evening and discussing the option of trying the sessions out.Never done anything like that before so would love to try it out.I'll leave it till after my HM on 17th though. How did you feel trying them out the first time? and do they give you some guidance on how to approach them?

6 miles today club run @7:58avg. Even managed an unoffical 5 mile PB by a whole minute:eek: as part of this run.

Legs need a well deserved rest tomorrow after 4 days running in a row.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Was at my own club this evening and discussing the option of trying the sessions out.Never done anything like that before so would love to try it out.I'll leave it till after my HM on 17th though. How did you feel trying them out the first time? and do they give you some guidance on how to approach them?

Wasn't really my first time had done some sessions last year but gave them up as we got closer to DCM. Was told to go out as fast as I could but at a pace that could be sustained to allow me to finish the whole 10 intervals. We had about a 20 second jog recovery so was tough enough. Definitely give it a go once your HM is in the bag. Bet you'll enjoy it. Weird aren't we ;)

• Advertisement

Wasn't really my first time had done some sessions last year but gave them up as we got closer to DCM. Was told to go out as fast as I could but at a pace that could be sustained to allow me to finish the whole 10 intervals. We had about a 20 second jog recovery so was tough enough. Definitely give it a go once your HM is in the bag. Bet you'll enjoy it. Weird aren't we ;)

Thanks DeeDee...20seconds doesnt sound long though to recover. Something to look forward to :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I had a club session tonite too! Legs were sore before I began due to 17mile LSR on Sunday , which resulted in blistered feet :( n a 6.6m supposedly recovery run yesterday which was lot hillier than I intended as I had my car booked into a garage near letterkenny so took my running gear with me and went for a run, hilly area n my calves were screaming at me all day along with my blisters, which infact aren't too bad since I burst them with a sterile needle n covered with a plasters! Anyway our schedule tonite was tough as it was 10 min warm up followed by a 400m speed trial on a track !!! Followed by 10 x 400m up and down a very steep hill!!! Not easy n def wudnt have done it on my own! Then 10 min slow cool down, ironically my legs did better than expected n actually feel better than earlier today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

dechol wrote: »
    Please include me in the slowies! Four hours??? :o

Me too.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

4 really slow recovery miles tonight, legs still in ribbons after Bohermeen and I'm breaking new shoes in. This week will be "leisurely"

Am I the only one still in pain??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

4 really slow recovery miles tonight, legs still in ribbons after Bohermeen and I'm breaking new shoes in. This week will be "leisurely"

menoscemo wrote: »
    No :pac:

glad im not the only one so...usually 1 or 2 days at the most, but still sore today even after 4m recovery last night which usually does the trick!!! hope they are better soon..the steps in works are not funny anymore:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just back from my first P&D speed session, 8 miles with 5 x 600m at 5k race pace with 90sec jog recoveries. Oh my god that was hard :eek:. Didn't really know what I was doing but for the speed bits I ran as hard as I could for 0.36 miles. This was the first run in a long time where I've had to stop and walk for a bit, absolutely wrecked :rolleyes:

Its heartening to read of other speedwork going on, I like the idea of club running, could do with that extra motivation at times but doubt I could find club runners prepared to go out at 6.30am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Runchick wrote: »
    Just back from my first P&D speed session, 8 miles with 5 x 600m at 5k race pace with 90sec jog recoveries. Oh my god that was hard :eek:. Didn't really know what I was doing but for the speed bits I ran as hard as I could for 0.36 miles. This was the first run in a long time where I've had to stop and walk for a bit, absolutely wrecked :rolleyes:

Don't worry. I was the same on my first V02 aswell, had to walk half the recoveries!:o Tough but Good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

11.22miles today @7.55min/miles, last quickish run before Bundoran on Saturday. I have a badly strained stomach muscle diagnosed by physio yesterday. Done as a result of disarming a wheel brace wielding pi$$-head last Saturday:mad:. It hurts slightly running but physio said i should be ok to race all out Saturday. Feel seriously under pressure to pull out decent time after all the fantastic racing last week. Will do my best:D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    It hurts slightly running but physio said i should be ok to race all out Saturday. Feel seriously under pressure to pull out decent time after all the fantastic racing last week. Will do my best:D:D.

Hope it's all recovered before saturday tang. I'm sure you will set a serious time. Whats the course profile like?

Advertisement