Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »

Hope it's all recovered before saturday tang. I'm sure you will set a serious time. Whats the course profile like?

Cheers blockic, i'd call it undulating more than flat and its exposed to the sea in parts. Not that i'll be using those as excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

No bother to you Tang ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tang1 wrote: »
    11.22miles today @7.55min/miles, last quickish run before Bundoran on Saturday. I have a badly strained stomach muscle diagnosed by physio yesterday. Done as a result of disarming a wheel brace wielding pi$$-head last Saturday:mad:. It hurts slightly running but physio said i should be ok to race all out Saturday. Feel seriously under pressure to pull out decent time after all the fantastic racing last week. Will do my best:D:D.

It's funny how we all think the same way about reporting times on here!!

Weight watchers should take note of the phsychology behind this forum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's funny how we all think the same way about reporting times on here!!

Tell me about it. Halfway through the race on Saturday I was like.. "I better keep this bloody pace up for the rest of the race..don't want to be going back on boards saying that I bottled it!" :pac:

Works wonders I tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Tell me about it. Halfway through the race on Saturday I was like.. "I better keep this bloody pace up for the rest of the race..don't want to be going back on boards saying that I bottled it!" :pac:

Works wonders I tell ya!

I thought it was only me doing that!

Anyone out there writing their race update in their head as they are racing? Helps me remove the demons :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Works wonders I tell ya!

Ya good point!

It can work both ways though, you wouldn't want to start getting cocky during the race and think ahead about boasting posting your wonderful result and there still 4 or 5 miles left to go, almost happenned me. I'll have to write some advice on my hand the next day, something like "pat yourself on the back after the race, dumbass"

Nice run there Tang by the way - you'd be suprised at how much you could heal between now and the race if you give your body every chance. So you've the work done, thumbs up from the physio to put the boot down, just look after yourself and let rip on Saturday and the pieces will all fall in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

11.22miles today @7.55min/miles, last quickish run before Bundoran on Saturday. I have a badly strained stomach muscle diagnosed by physio yesterday. Done as a result of disarming a wheel brace wielding pi$$-head last Saturday:mad:. It hurts slightly running but physio said i should be ok to race all out Saturday. Feel seriously under pressure to pull out decent time after all the fantastic racing last week. Will do my best:D:D.

Good luck on Saturday, hope you smash it.

Surely though it's the effort you - or any of us - put in more than the time that counts? If you've given it socks then you've run an honest race. :)

This link in this thread on the main Athletics/Running board makes for interesting and somewhat relevant reading.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056895951

coalshed wrote: »

Surely though it's the effort you - or any of us - put in more than the time that counts? If you've given it socks then you've run an honest race. :)

I run to beat myself, i know i'll never win any races but if i PB i'm a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bundoran on Sat - tempting, as I will be in the NW. Is it still open?

No run yesterday as I was in the UK. Did 8k walk from Victoria to Kensington through Hyde Park (and back) though so I'll chalk that up as cross-training.

Makey-up session tonight. 11k scheduled so did 1.5k warmup/warmdown with 3x2k at 5k pace, with 1k recovery. Managed around 4:49/k for the fast bits so that was a good workout for me. Certainly felt like I'd earned my dinner when the stomach calmed down.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Bundoran on Sat - tempting, as I will be in the NW. Is it still open?

According to there Facebook page entry is still open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I run to beat myself, i know i'll never win any races but if i PB i'm a happy man.

Most of us here dont run to beat others, the only ones we are competing against is ourselves. If we train hard, run hard and race smart, there will be plenty of people behind us.

EDIT: Not my quote, but a number mashed together. The point remains though; I run to better myself, the results, times and distances are important, but are not the reason why I'm here .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I run to better myself, the results, times and distances are important, but are not the reason why I'm here .

Amen to that. Apart from competing with my own PBs I like to finish in the top half of the total field, and in the top half of my age category. I find the first goal is easier than the second - a good few of my M50 competitors are running a lot longer - and better - than me.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

murphd77 wrote: »
    Amen to that. Apart from competing with my own PBs I like to finish in the top half of the total field, and in the top half of my age category. I find the first goal is easier than the second - a good few of my M50 competitors are running a lot longer - and better - than me.

:pac:

I remember my dad saying that when he was in his 30's himself and his club mates couldn't wait to become a vets cause they thought they'd win loads of races. He said the competition was tougher in his 40's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I didn't get a chance to write a report on Bohermeen so here's a late one in case anyone is interested. Feel free to ingore as I know its almost a week ago:D

My girlfriend has gotten into running with me in the last year or so and she earmarked Limerick for her first marathon so I said id join her in doing that. Bohermeen fell nicely enough for a May marathon so it was a good chance for us to see we're at. Id been following Meno's sessions in the run up to this and based on those few weeks I decided that id run it around 7.20 pace, but not confident i was capable of keeping that clip up for the 13.
    Got over to Bohermeen early, got parked and loosened up with a few laps of the track. Warming up I realised I was actually quite tense about the race, it was my first outing since DCM 2012 and I had no real idea where I was at, probably putting myself under a bit of pressure too as others have alluded to!!
    Got down to the start and the first mile I felt a bit sluggish but moving through traffic woke me up and it came in at 7.19 pace so couldn't complain. Those first four miles it took me a while to shake off the cobwebs and I was aso conscious of holding back on that first lap, probably lacking a little bit of confidence. Just as the pull started around mile 5 or so on lap one I could hear a pair of footsteps coming behind me, two guys, one from Duleek A.C were about to pass me but I said Id try and pace with them for a few miles to see how it felt. I stayed with one of them until nearly mile 10 until he put the boot down but it was a big help working with someone through those middle miles. I felt good and the effort was hard but managebale, probably right at the limit of what I was capable of holding for a HM. As the miles wore on I continued to feel good and started to pick off other runners in the last 4 miles, this has never happened for me before, Im normally fit to puke by that stage! Once I got off the main road for the second time I started to up the pace little by little and was still feeling good and picking off runners. Over the flyover for the last mile the lungs started to burn, I went as hard as I could and it really started to hurt in the last half mile but got over the line exhausted in 1.36.18, which was a big PB for me.
    I went into this race with the target of running a steady fast pace the whole way through, (whatever that happened to be on the day) and Im happy I managed that. I felt like I was going hard but controlled the entire race and Meno is right when he says you become better at dealing with pain the more you race, I dug in and forced myself to up if for the last few miles. I felt strong at the end which makes me thing I could have went out a bit harder but the fact i was controlled probably meant I was able to finish strongly rather than die on my feet and lose 20-30s a mile, think I ran a neg split by about a minute.

Mile splits were 7.19, 7.26, 7.24,7.27, 7.21, 7.22, 7.24, 7.18, 7.16, 7.12, 7.17, 7.13, 6.57, 1.10

Previous PB 1.40.58 Dublin Half 2012
    New PB 1.36.18

Hopefully now I can get to Limerick now injury free and with a bit of luck beat my DCM '12 time. Need to figure out a goal time for Limerick first off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Meno is right

That's what I have been telling everyone all my life :D

Well done, great report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

menoscemo wrote: »

....especially his battered wife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great race overprinator!

Just got some new running gear in lidl! Half of it was gone already... Roll up roll up

menoscemo wrote: »

and the only ones who believe you are a pack of oddballs you met on the Internet!! :D

Need to figure out a goal time for Limerick first off!

Nice job OP! Enjoyed that report.

What way are you inclined at the moment for the Limerick goal?

I'm pretty similar in my HM results - 1.40 Dublin last year, around 1.34 this year (I'd say you would be close enough to that judging on how strongly you finished). Not sure what you did in DCM but I fell home just under 4 hours (after attempting a 3:45).

Many would tell you you should be fit for a 3:30 in Limerick, you could well be but if it were me....(don't shoot me for being a boring conservative now guys), maybe a 3:45 would be a good target in May, loads of time to aim and train for a 3:30 in the Autumn.

miguelk wrote: »
    Nice job OP! Enjoyed that report.

What way are you inclined at the moment for the Limerick goal?

I'm pretty similar in my HM results - 1.40 Dublin last year, around 1.34 this year (I'd say you would be close enough to that judging on how strongly you finished). Not sure what you did in DCM but I fell home just under 4 hours (after attempting a 3:45).

Many would tell you you should be fit for a 3:30 in Limerick, you could well be but if it were me....(don't shoot me for being a boring conservative now guys), maybe a 3:45 would be a good target in May, loads of time to aim and train for a 3:30 in the Autumn.

Thanks miguelk. We sound very similar alright and yeah I think you're absolutely right. I did Dublin in 3.54 last year on the back of that 1.40 half and I really struggled with cramp in the last 5 miles, I was lucky to get home in that time I think. I was injured in the run up and didn't train much in the preceding 3 weeks but I don't think that really impacted me a great deal, I feel that's the time I was capable of regardless.
    Im sure you're aware that Monsieur McMillan has the likes of us down for about a 3.20(ish) full after our half times, but I know that's absolute pie in the sky for me. Right now I'm thinking sensibly that I have a 3.45 in me and if I go with the pacers and am strong enough Ill be able to leave them at the end perhaps and get a couple of minutes under that, otherwise ill blow up and try to hold on again.
    My absolute stretch goal is 3.39.xx but unless I get some quality longs runs in reaching that pace for the final miles and some longer PMP runs in feeling easy at that pace I'll shoot for 3.45. What way are you thinking? 3.30 attempt in Dublin this year would be a goal though.

• Advertisement

Thanks miguelk. We sound very similar alright and yeah I think you're absolutely right. I did Dublin in 3.54 last year on the back of that 1.40 half and I really struggled with cramp in the last 5 miles, I was lucky to get home in that time I think. I was injured in the run up and didn't train much in the preceding 3 weeks but I don't think that really impacted me a great deal, I feel that's the time I was capable of regardless.
    Im sure you're aware that Monsieur McMillan has the likes of us down for about a 3.20(ish) full after our half times, but I know that's absolute pie in the sky for me. Right now I'm thinking sensibly that I have a 3.45 in me and if I go with the pacers and am strong enough Ill be able to leave them at the end perhaps and get a couple of minutes under that, otherwise ill blow up and try to hold on again.
    My absolute stretch goal is 3.39.xx but unless I get some quality longs runs in reaching that pace for the final miles and some longer PMP runs in feeling easy at that pace I'll shoot for 3.45. What way are you thinking? 3.30 attempt in Dublin this year would be a goal though.

Ya, bang on. Well "train" for a 3:30 goal and judge it closer to the day. I'd want to be in pretty good shape to tackle a 3:30 to be honest. Basically I would have a stab at a really optimistic time in any race distance up to half marathon...not for the marathon.

Going on Bohermeen (versus how I ran Dublin marathon for example) it was a great experience to be able to run the 2nd half in roughly the same pace/time as the first. I know I was struggling at the end but that is only natural and I was still passing a good few rather than being passed - So ya, for you I think 3:45 pacers and see how you are fixed after X miles seems like a good strategy to replicate that kind of race experience.

I do think though you would have a great shot at a 3:30 and if not in May it will be sooner rather than later in your running career if you mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Officially entered the Cork Marathon! Yay! No turning back now :D
    snoopy_happy_dance.jpg

Quick question, when do I get my number, don't think it said it in my confirmation email?

ncmc wrote: »
    Officially entered the Cork Marathon! Yay! No turning back now :D
    snoopy_happy_dance.jpg

Quick question, when do I get my number, don't think it said it in my confirmation email?
    Probably by post in week or two. Mine arrived by post in jan I think. See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Probably by post in week or two. Mine arrived by post in jan I think. See you there!
    Cool. My order number is nine thousand and something, I was thinking to myself 'surely there can't be 9000 registered already' LOL, bit of a blonde moment!

ncmc wrote: »
    Cool. My order number is nine thousand and something, I was thinking to myself 'surely there can't be 9000 registered already' LOL, bit of a blonde moment!
    That'd be a good turn out! About 1500 did it last year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Crap running week this last 7 days. postponed yesterdays speed session to today & just couldnt get it going when I got out earlier, 8m planned with 5 at pace, managed w1m warm up and 3.5 at pace. feeling a bit dejected at the moment.

But 1st park run in Marlay tomorrow where I think I'll just jog around and 16m planned for Sunday so time sleep on it, rest up and start fresh and do it all again!

[/moan]

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Crap running week this last 7 days. postponed yesterdays speed session to today & just couldnt get it going when I got out earlier, 8m planned with 5 at pace, managed w1m warm up and 3.5 at pace. feeling a bit dejected at the moment.

But 1st park run in Marlay tomorrow where I think I'll just jog around and 16m planned for Sunday so time sleep on it, rest up and start fresh and do it all again!

[/moan]
    Sometimes it is just like that. I hate when it is though.You will probably go out Sunday and be really happy with your LSR. Forget last few days and start wend with positive running thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

dechol wrote: »
    Sometimes it is just like that. I hate when it is though.You will probably go out Sunday and be really happy with your LSR. Forget last few days and start wend with positive running thoughts!
    On a night out but im now waiting on a dart to get home early with a view to doing park run in the morning. I think Im officially addicted to running! Im usually the last one home.

Dechol...just in case you think I'm bonkers,this post was sent from my phone.Wasn't specifically replying to your post just trying to post my comment. I know the above looks out of context....:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

RedRunner wrote: »
    On a night out but im now waiting on a dart to get home early with a view to doing park run in the morning. I think Im officially addicted to running! Im usually the last one home.

You going to give Marley a bash or stick to Malahide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You going to give Marley a bash or stick to Malahide?
    Stick with Malahide..Marlay too far for me. Malahide just down the road.

Advertisement