Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    Its in Donegal, Bundoran 10. Other half is from up there so its handy, plus her Ma makes the nicest coffee cake on the planet!!

Haha, only going up there for the cake! ;) Might do that half in Meath you mentioned in March. Go on an adventure!

Great to see your back up and running again. Puntastic!* :D

*and i didnt even mean it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »

Haha, only going up there for the cake! ;) Might do that half in Meath you mentioned in March. Go on an adventure!

Its a great race, you'll tear strips off your PB if you do it. Meno will have you in flying shape come then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

There may* be a third annual Boards trip to Mallow for the 10 miler in March, it involves an early rise, a train ride, a race and a whole lot of booze. Claralara and Digger got together on the first one, you never know what might happen children.:)

*Depending on my phoenix from the flames type recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Mr Slow wrote: »
    There may* be a third annual Boards trip to Mallow for the 10 miler in March, it involves an early rise, a train ride, a race and a whole lot of booze. Claralara and Digger got together on the first one, you never know what might happen children.:)

Excellent! Mallow isn't far from my neck of the woods, I would definitely be on for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I'll be the one wearing the red carnation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

We might have to make an anniversary trip.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

digger2d2 wrote: »
    We might have to make an anniversary trip.... :)

People!! Let's keep this on topic.... The OH pops into this thread every now and again, I'll never be allowed away to race again with all this carry on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Gavlor wrote: »
    People!! Let's keep this on topic.... The OH pops into this thread every now and again, I'll never be allowed away to race again with all this carry on ;)

Jebas, I better not mention Meno's attempt to get stuck into the German swinger couple back in Ryan's of Parkgate Street ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Jebas, I better not mention Meno's attempt to get stuck into the German swinger couple back in Ryan's of Parkgate Street ;):D

I guess it's good to know that the 2012 novices are in good hands.... Though by the sound of it, I hope his coaching technique is better than his pulling technique!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

tang1 wrote: »

Yip, back about 3 weeks or so. Taking it easy till new year, have a 10 mile race in March and going to follow a plan for that. Hopefully go sub 70 mins. You still pounding the prom out Howth way?
    That's good! Hope it all goes to plan now. Yea I'm always around the seafront 😊 might meet up for a run some day. Did 3m this eve felt great to get back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Looks like a good month in store for P&D Book Sales....

227889.png

I want this book NOW!!! Can't wait to start reading will order today or else I might see if my nearest Easons stocks it. I've heard so many on this on about P+D 55, don't know if I'll manage that kinda mileage but it can be an aim for my Spring marathon, destination of which I've yet to decide. Confused!
    Just waiting to go for my run this morning, very excited to be going on a longish one , what's everyone doing this weekend? 6miles? 7miles? 8miles? Enjoy :)

Be fair, we don't know what happened after we left Digs, that said he's been to Berlin twice since :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

That's good! Hope it all goes to plan now. Yea I'm always around the seafront 😊 might meet up for a run some day. Did 3m this eve felt great to get back out.

Yeah i'd be up for that, after moving to Clontarf with work now but we could meet up somewhere along the seafront.

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I want this book NOW!!! Can't wait to start reading will order today or else I might see if my nearest Easons stocks it. I've heard so many on this on about P+D 55, don't know if I'll manage that kinda mileage but it can be an aim for my Spring marathon, destination of which I've yet to decide. Confused!
    Just waiting to go for my run this morning, very excited to be going on a longish one , what's everyone doing this weekend? 6miles? 7miles? 8miles? Enjoy :)
    Ah the joys of a Kindle, ordered 10pm yesterday, started reading it at 10:01pm! Only read the introduction so far, but looks good! I get the impression there's a fair bit of science in it, so I don't think it's one for night time tired reading! I think I am going to try and follow the 'up to 55 mile' plan for Cork. Looks tough but doable.

I'm off out for a nice easy 6 miles now. Be a nice treat to get out running in daylight after all the dark cold runs during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

ncmc wrote: »
    I think I am going to try and follow the 'up to 55 mile' plan for Cork. Looks tough but doable.
    Snap! Sore leg after yesterday's easy run. Cycle today instead for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Ah the joys of a Kindle, ordered 10pm yesterday, started reading it at 10:01pm! Only read the introduction so far, but looks good! I get the impression there's a fair bit of science in it, so I don't think it's one for night time tired reading! I think I am going to try and follow the 'up to 55 mile' plan for Cork. Looks tough but doable.

I'm off out for a nice easy 6 miles now. Be a nice treat to get out running in daylight after all the dark cold runs during the week.

Nice one God bless modern technology :) I rang Easons have none in stock and said they could order it in for me and that it's actually going out of print so anyone looking to buy it get your copy now:) I went with Amazon option instead, will be looking out for the postman all week.

I'm just back from an easy 8 miles prob went too far but was enjoying myself too much to turn around. Had to up the pace when a dog chased me, the joys of country roads :) and I'm with ya on that one ncmc was such a treat being out in daylight .

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Nice one God bless modern technology :) I rang Easons have none in stock and said they could order it in for me and that it's actually going out of print so anyone looking to buy it get your copy now:) I went with Amazon option instead, will be looking out for the postman all week.

The second edition is the one currently for sale, it's very popular so I would imagine there's a third edition in the pipeline.

Try here btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

There is also a new book out for anyone interested

http://www.amazon.com/Hansons-Marathon-Method-Renegade-Fastest/dp/1934030856

Bought it about two weeks ago and finally go to take a look at it and some pretty good stuff. Shares alot of similarities with P & D in terms of the actual outline of the plan however one big factor with it is the distribution of mileage. There becomes less of an emphasis on the length of the long run which personall I feel would be great for many coming off there first marathon unless they have a really high base. The strength is attained from solid workouts during the week.

Might not be everyones cup of tea but after reading it I did find some really suitable points to support recommending this sort of approach to people coming off a smaller base and looking to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

ecoli wrote: »
    There is also a new book out for anyone interested

http://www.amazon.com/Hansons-Marathon-Method-Renegade-Fastest/dp/1934030856

Bought it about two weeks ago and finally go to take a look at it and some pretty good stuff. Shares alot of similarities with P & D in terms of the actual outline of the plan however one big factor with it is the distribution of mileage. There becomes less of an emphasis on the length of the long run which personall I feel would be great for many coming off there first marathon unless they have a really high base. The strength is attained from solid workouts during the week.

Might not be everyones cup of tea but after reading it I did find some really suitable points to support recommending this sort of approach to people coming off a smaller base and looking to develop.

I think I've listened to a runners academy podcast with the guy who actually penned this and it was interesting, he ran some really good times around 2:17, if anyone interested I can try to dig up the link!

I ran my first 5k race ever today at Parkrun. Against advice not to race and only 3rd run since DCM but I really enjoyed it and can see why folk like short races. I held back at end but to avoid too much damage but New PB 25m - since it was my 1st whatever result was going to be PB! It was a great event, no fuss, well organised and as today was inaugral in Dublin felt special too. It felt fast for miles 1 & 2 and tough for number 3. met some great guys on way up from carpark, one a 3:30 DCM last year actually came 2nd over all 17:XX - beaten at line, other a bit slower did London in 4:20 after pushing too hard for 3:45 - he was coming back from injury and I ran most of last mile with him and appreciated the encouragement.

I really feel that with better training this year i will run faster then I ever thought possible! (Sub4 'Thon fantasy) Back to a nice easy recovery run tomorrow.

Just also got around to moving into new training log (Thks PM for setting this up again). Was finally able to add in the 26.2 from 29th, my mileage so far this year is only 382 so I feel like the lazy one in 2012 class - I'm hoping I can make 500 for eoy and >1,000 next year

Targets for 2013

FM 04:15 (Current PB 04:50 DCM '12)
    HM 02:10 (Current PB 02:27 DCM '12 full halfway)
    10m 85 mins (Current PB 100mins in training)
    10k 50 mins (Current PB 75mins Fingal 10k '12, this was real slow)
    5k 22 mins (Current PB 25:10mins Today - this was real fast - for me!)

Sorry for rambling BUT it feels good to be back!

Think I may have crossed the line from
    a Fund raiser who runs to a Runner who fund raises

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Congrats on the 5k PB Walkedit :D
    Just checking out that parkrun and great idea - think I'll need to take a trip to the northside to do that in next few weeks

Saw a recommended book on meno's original log (I think) called 'advanced marathoning' and it arrived today.. Seems very good. Will I get a garmin from Santa? Is it worth the spend? I think I know what you'll all say!

Yes get the Garmin - I'm so addicted to mine now!! I stuck it out a long time with Endomondo and a stop watch but its soo handy having that immediate feedback on both distance & pace. Do a bit of research on what you;re looking for thought first - I got the 210 cos not too expensive but still got features I wanted, option to vary pace shown + interval training option (which I've yet to try but sounded good..). Tell Santa to try Amazon as great value there
    I brought my novice marathon time of 4:42 (on Hal Higdon's Novice 1) down to 3:56 and then 3:20 (in the space of a year) using P&D's plans. I always classed myself as a slow runner ...

Even if you don't follow their excellent plans, there is a lot of very sound advice in the book, and it explains the science behind the different typical paces that most coaches use.

Wow - that's some improvement, that book is def added to my Xmas list... (if Boardsies haven't bought up all the stock in IRL by that time... ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

The first week back on the roads, in brief:

Monday : 4mile @ 8:30/mile
    Wednesday : 4mile @ 8:15/mile
    Saturday : 6mile @ 8:48/mile

I know meno that you said to reduce marathon pace by at least a minute and really tried to slow it down today for the 6 miler...any slower and it could have been considered loitering, or at least it felt like that...enjoyed it cos it had a "sunday drive" feel about it..if that makes any sense.

Sore right shin and radiating to right foot...physio next friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

The second edition is the one currently for sale, it's very popular so I would imagine there's a third edition in the pipeline.

Try here btw

Kindle is what you need. never worry about books out of stock.

out for 10km this morning. miles coming back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

OK - after nearly 2 weeks, when I was avoiding this thread because I didn't rightly belong (hadn't started back yet) I'm back to being a runner!:D

Took the first week off and planned on following the HH recovery plan. Was a little worried about my tweaky left knee, without any concrete reason. On the Friday, I started a 2 hour car maintenance job and ended up taking 8 hours to do it (finally got the brakes to work after it:eek:). Anyway, my first 2m went down the pan. Went out on the bike and walked the dog on Saturday and brought the kids swimming on Sunday but again didn't run (well it was pi$$ing down on Sunday:o). This week just gone was as bad - had to drive Wexford - Galway on Tuesday night and back on Wednesday and was still frazzled by Thursday.

Was contemplating extending my recovery :rolleyes: a bit more but then said feic it and went down to the local club on Friday night for a gentle workout with the beginners group. After warm-up, we did some strides (5x 100m slow, 100m fast) and (of course) my competitive side drove me to keep up with the fastest guy in the group on the fast bits.:rolleyes: (remember at that point I hadn't read Meno's advice to take it easy....). The rest of the group headed off for a run on the roads so I stayed for a few gentle laps on the (softer) track. Felt absolutely great afterwards, though my achilles tendons were protesting a bit.

Late to bed, woke up this morning at 7.30 (most uncharacteristically) - downstairs for porridge and out running by 9.00. Wore the Garmin but didn't pay too much attention to it - I knew I was running quite sprightly but didn't rein the speed in (remember at that point I hadn't read Meno's advice to take it easy....). Ended up doing 10.4k, with the 10k finished just 30s slower than my 10k PB (remember at that point I hadn't read Meno's advice to take it easy....). Achilles were protesting again so some ice was applied and it cooled it down just fine. Felt great after blowing off the cobwebs - my mood has improved massively and I don't feel as sluggish as I did for the last two weeks.

So to the big questions:
    What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)
    To mark the end of the 4-week recovery period, I've entered the Waterford Half Marathon on December 1st. Just like pretty much everyone else here (slight exaggeration perhaps). So YAY for everyone here doing it - hopefully we'll actually bump into each other this time. My PB is 1:43 so I'll either go with 1:40 or 1:45 pacers - or 1:50 if I'm feeling in the humour for a gentler jog.:rolleyes:

Longer term I'm thinking along the lines of Waterford Marathon at the end of June. In order to build up to that, I'm planning on the Wexford Half Marathon in April (10 weeks before Waterford) and Enniscorthy 10k in February (10 weeks before Wexford).

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Want to keep the mileage up reasonably well, probably keep running 4 days, cycling 1 day. Going to finish out my current course of Pilates to try help the core strength, might try doing more fartlek and hills (though you can't avoid them around here) 'cos some hardship is just never enough! Sure we'll see what Meno has in store for us...:eek:

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)
    I'd love to have a sub-100 1/2, sub-50 10k and maybe sub-3:45 full. All of those are quite close so I'd hope to revise them downwards later in the year - but I always think it's better to aim slow & exceed than be too aggressive & fall short.

Assuming all goes to plan, I'd love to do Dublin again next year - still bounding with enthusiasm about how much I enjoyed it! Main thing is to be able to run regularly injury-free. I've a lot of flexibility improvements to make - hamstrings in particular.
    My half in August was 1:48 but as Dilbert can confirm, I was fecked afterwards!
    Nah - you had more there, even if you didn't know it - sure when I was struggling to walk afterwards you were able to drive off without even having tea & cake! You were just kind enough not to run off on me!

PS Going to the Leinster Cross-Country uneven ages in Dunboyne tomorrow (as a parent obviously) - if anyone else is going, have a good day!

Welcome back to it all Dilbert.

We have quite similar goals and pretty much the same events coming up too.

Not sure where in wexford you are, but I'm on the N25 quite a bit on the bike and some running. If you ever want company on an LSR, give me a shout if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

upthe19th wrote: »
    Welcome back to it all Dilbert.

We have quite similar goals and pretty much the same events coming up too.

Not sure where in wexford you are, but I'm on the N25 quite a bit on the bike and some running. If you ever want company on an LSR, give me a shout if you like.

Jeez - you could be my next door neighbour for all I know! I'm in NR town.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Jeez - you could be my next door neighbour for all I know! I'm in NR town.

I'm 9 miles from you...out in the sticks. Travel to waterford every day to work...hence in NR every day. If you are doing waterford on 1st and need a lift give me a shout..I'll be passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Back from morning run. Perfect weather! I really took the daylight running for granted over the summer!

So much easier/nicer than slogging it in the dark evenings!

Back from morning run. Perfect weather! I really took the daylight running for granted over the summer!

So much easier/nicer than slogging it in the dark evenings!

Plus it's a great chance to show of your DCM 'proud finisher' t shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Out for six mile run today but back early as knee sore and became quite uncomfortable to run. Going to take a rest next week.maybe cycle instead. Think I overdid the pace on my runs last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm sorely tempted to get out and try a run and see how the leg goes. I'm like a drug addict in rehab plotting an elaborate escape at the moment. I really think running is addictive.

Advertisement