Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

blockic wrote: »
    Where's the HM RedRunner?

It'd be a bit of a trip for you Bolckic.It's on in Balbriggan Co.Dublin. Organised by local Cancer Support Group. It'll be a small enough field, there is a 10k on also and I believe they are expecting something in the region of 500 runners.

I grew up (well spent most of my formative years) in Balbriggan and my Dad passed away a few years ago from cancer, so it had to be done! My Mam is walking the 10k too so it'll be a family effort too.:)

I'd say if you ran it you'd probably win the thing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

RedRunner wrote: »

It'd be a bit of a trip for you Bolckic.It's on in Balbriggan Co.Dublin. Organised by local Cancer Support Group. It'll be a small enough field, there is a 10k on also and I believe they are expecting something in the region of 500 runners.

I grew up (well spent most of my formative years) in Balbriggan and my Dad passed away a few years ago from cancer, so it had to be done! My Mam is walking the 10k too so it'll be a family effort too.:)

I'd say if you ran it you'd probably win the thing:D

Win it...petrol....match...

On a serious note fair play redrunner. Great cause and i hope it goes well for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

RedRunner wrote: »
    there is a 10k on also and I believe they are expecting something in the region of 500 runners

Interesting, my P&D plan has a 10k race planned for next weekend but I couldnt find any around...until now!..hmmmm...interesting indeed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Cara Bundoran 10 mile Challenge 9.3.2013
    Time: 67min 26secs

This was my goal race for the first 3 months of 2013, i had two goals in mind for it, break the 70min barrier and get into the top 100 finishers. The weather was not great in the lead up days to the race, wind and rain, and i knew if this persisted on Saturday the section along Bundoran bypass would be tough. I got to Bundoran at 10.10am on Saturday morning and had plenty of time for a decent warm up, we were called to line up at about 10.50am and i positioned myself close enough to the front but not to close. Met a fellow Boardsie in Loughie who posts on the A/R Forum from time to time, had a few words with him, and two time Olympian Danny McDaid was about to blow his starters whistle and we were off. First mile 2 miles are flat out the Sligo Rd and we had the wind behind us, got through these handy enough and in around 6.4x time.

Next mile is a drag uphill but passed off as again we had the wind following us, we turned off the main rd here and onto a quiet back road and back in the direction we had come, bang wind straight into our faces. I was running on my own at this stage and trying to get through the wind was tough to say the least, i was working harder than i should and it was taking it out of me, got to half way in 33.1x and heard a group coming me behind me, 3 Lifford AC runners and a Letterkenny AC man, they said to jump in with them that i was killing myself on my own:D.

Thank God cause the next 3 miles were along the bypass directly into the wind, the Letterkenny man and one of the Lifford boys dictated the pace and and knocked out the next 3miles in 6.5x time. Got to the mile 8 marker and 3 of them kicked on, i tried but just couldn't go with them. I knew at this stage sub70 was in the bag, knocked out the next mile with the remaining Lifford AC man in 6.4x. Last mile, right put the boot down a bit we said, we upped the pace to 6.2x and held it for the duration of the race, the Lifford man out kicked me but seen the clock reading 67.xx and i could have kissed myself:p:p, quick check with timing company for time 67.26 and 75th place, made sure to thank the Lifford and Letterkenny people for there help cause it was much needed at the time. MISSION ACHIEVED.

Things i've Learned:
    - having an understandable wife is a godsend.
    - losing 10kgs since January has helped my running no end.
    - Meno's weekly session has helped me BIGTIME(thank you).
    - having the outlet of Boards for advise/chat/slagging/competiveness has been a MASSIVE help(thanks lads).

And as a reward, mother in law had a big plate of coffee cake waiting for me yesterday evening, nicest cake you will eat bar none. Sorry about the length of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

tang1 wrote: »

This was my goal race for the first 3 months of 2013, i had two goals in mind for it, break the 70min barrier and get into the top 100 finishers. The weather was not great in the lead up days to the race, wind and rain, and i knew if this persisted on Saturday the section along Bundoran bypass would be tough. I got to Bundoran at 10.10am on Saturday morning and had plenty of time for a decent warm up, we were called to line up at about 10.50am and i positioned myself close enough to the front but not to close. Met a fellow Boardsie in Loughie who posts on the A/R Forum from time to time, had a few words with him, and two time Olympian Danny McDaid was about to blow his starters whistle and we were off. First mile 2 miles are flat out the Sligo Rd and we had the wind behind us, got through these handy enough and in around 6.4x time.

Next mile is a drag uphill but passed off as again we had the wind following us, we turned off the main rd here and onto a quiet back road and back in the direction we had come, bang wind straight into our faces. I was running on my own at this stage and trying to get through the wind was tough to say the least, i was working harder than i should and it was taking it out of me, got to half way in 33.1x and heard a group coming me behind me, 3 Lifford AC runners and a Letterkenny AC man, they said to jump in with them that i was killing myself on my own:D.

Thank God cause the next 3 miles were along the bypass directly into the wind, the Letterkenny man and one of the Lifford boys dictated the pace and and knocked out the next 3miles in 6.5x time. Got to the mile 8 marker and 3 of them kicked on, i tried but just couldn't go with them. I knew at this stage sub70 was in the bag, knocked out the next mile with the remaining Lifford AC man in 6.4x. Last mile, right put the boot down a bit we said, we upped the pace to 6.2x and held it for the duration of the race, the Lifford man out kicked me but seen the clock reading 67.xx and i could have kissed myself:p:p, quick check with timing company for time 67.26 and 75th place, made sure to thank the Lifford and Letterkenny people for there help cause it was much needed at the time. MISSION ACHIEVED.

Things i've Learned:
    - having the outlet of Boards for advise/chat/slagging/competiveness has been a MASSIVE help(thanks lads).

And as a reward, mother in law had a big plate of coffee cake waiting for me yesterday evening, nicest cake you will eat bar none. Sorry about the length of post.

Well done on a great race. Congrats on the pb, imagine the damage you'll do without the wind to contend with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I now want cake!

You seemed to be in total control there tang, great pacing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Things i've Learned:

Surely you mean "understanding"? :pac:

Great running there. I can hardly imagine that kind of pace but even at my more leisurely 81mins odd that bypass section was tough - probably more crowded down my end of the race and had to watch out for traffic.

Lovely to get off that bypass into a downhill downwind section though... and the downhill finish (after that hill at the end of the cliff walk section) was a surprise to me especially as a local runner had told me earlier that the last mile was the toughest.

Good race - I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Things i've Learned:

Well done on great race and great report!
    See we donegalers aren't so bad lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

... i had two goals in mind for it, break the 70min barrier and get into the top 100 finishers ...

Line 'em up and knock them flat! You must be delighted with yourself (you should be! :D). Great running, hugely motivating for the rest of us.
    losing 10kgs since January has helped my running no end.

:eek: Hardcore, man! Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Things i've Learned:

Super run Tang, and great learnings, you're right about the 'understandable wife'!
    Great pacing and great control through the race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

scriba wrote: »
    Line 'em up and knock them flat! You must be delighted with yourself (you should be! :D). Great running, hugely motivating for the rest of us.
    +1 Well done B that was a superb performance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great race report Tang and savage running. That is a seriously impressive time under tricky conditions.

Did I read that right, did you say you've lost 10kgs since January? That is absolutely phenomenal, I can only imagine how much that would improve your running and just think how much less pressure you're now putting on your knees, ankles and other joints... Not to mention your heart! Well done, serious kudos merited.

New runner wrote: »
    Well done on great race and great report!
    See we donegalers aren't so bad lol!

I married one so my mind is made up on ye:D

ncmc wrote: »
    Great race report Tang and savage running. That is a seriously impressive time under tricky conditions.

Did I read that right, did you say you've lost 10kgs since January? That is absolutely phenomenal, I can only imagine how much that would improve your running and just think how much less pressure you're now putting on your knees, ankles and other joints... Not to mention your heart! Well done, serious kudos merited.

Yeah, i was 89kgs on 1st of January this year, now 79kgs. I was a big fan of a packet of biscuits with tea after my dinner, knocked that on the head completely till coffee cake yesterday evening. Also due to unsocialable working hours i used to eat take away 2-3 times a week, now i cook for myself instead. Neither has been easy but i can see the benifits as you mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Went out for an 8 mile run tonight. between rushing to get out after grocery shopping, not eating and weather, was toughest run in ages. need to stretch even more if thats possible.

Where were you hiding the 10kg B that's what I want to know?

Great report tang and a super time in those tough conditions! Meno's sessions were great alright. And 10kg in 2 months..incredible! I reckon you will knock out some more more serious PBs in the months ahead. What's next up for you?

Where were you hiding the 10kg B that's what I want to know?

Ah i had the the girdle on me keeping everything in the day i met you and J:D:D:D

Ah I'm tempted to dethrone the 'King' in the MSB on Saturday instead anyway!!:D

Race starts at 4pm at Hueston Station. See you there ;)

It's only 3 miles, would do you no good anyway........

It's not in P&d so you shouldn't do it......

It'll be cold........

Great report tang and a super time in those tough conditions! Meno's sessions were great alright. And 10kg in 2 months..incredible! I reckon you will knock out some more more serious PBs in the months ahead. What's next up for you?

Thanks man, i'm running a 5 mile race on 31st of this month, first ever 5 mile race so guaranteed PB:p. Yip have to say Meno's session seriously helped me, i had never done anykind of speed stuff up until then.

• Advertisement

Race starts at 4pm at Hueston Station. See you there ;)

Nah that's not the start time at all, I heard that is your finish time! :pac:

A 10km tune-up race is on my P&D for Saturday...a 5km race with a few extra miles could be a goer. I'll see during the week.

Just remember that I'm practically an old man. 14 yrs ur senior.
    You should be giving up your seat to me on a bus, not smack talking me!

It's a shame that you would get pleasure from beating your elders........

(Ok.......I think that might have worked.....don't think he'll run it now)

14 yrs ur senior.

In the straightest way imaginable, fook me you look good for that age:eek::eek:.

"that age:eek::eek:"

40 is the new 30. All the cool people are over 40.

i'm running a 5 mile race on 31st of this month, .

Where's this race - I'm looking for a 10k tune up, but cant find one - so 5m might be a good compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Yeah, i was 89kgs on 1st of January this year, now 79kgs. I was a big fan of a packet of biscuits with tea after my dinner, knocked that on the head completely till coffee cake yesterday evening. Also due to unsocialable working hours i used to eat take away 2-3 times a week, now i cook for myself instead. Neither has been easy but i can see the benifits as you mentioned above.

I know it might be a bit obvious that I'm commenting on this, but well done. You have no idea how losing that weight will help you, not just in the running. Don't eat **** & exercise more - that's the best way to do it!

In the straightest way imaginable, fook me you look good for that age:eek::eek:.
    Thats why all the faces of the volunteers light up when he deigns to say a thank you and blesses them with a shake of his hand ;)
    Where's this race - I'm looking for a 10k tune up, but cant find one - so 5m might be a good compromise
    http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/FrMurphyAC5MileRoadRaceFunRunWalk2013

rasher_m wrote: »
    Went out for an 8 mile run tonight. between rushing to get out after grocery shopping, not eating and weather, was toughest run in ages. need to stretch even more if thats possible.

Well done on going out in that weather last night, conditions looked horrible!

coalshed wrote: »
    Well done on going out in that weather last night, conditions looked horrible!

How's things looking for Paris coalshed? You on taper from next week?

• Advertisement

How's things looking for Paris coalshed? You on taper from next week?

My Paris prep is turning out a bit like Ireland's rugby match on Saturday...it all went great for the first half, looking rocky for the second period. (But hopefully I'll hang on)

I've missed two long runs recently which worries me as my longest run has been 17 miles, so I've two weeks left to do a 20 and a 16 miler, so yeah, taper pretty much starts after this coming Sunday. (Although P&D's take on taper is a lot more active than my couch based approach would be!)

I had innocently/ambitiously identified a target time of 3:20 back in December but the past few months have thought me that there's a big difference between dreaming up a time and actually executing it on the road. Similarly, I figured 1:30 would be a suitable target for the half marathon distance but really I no know that that involves a massive step up from 1:36 or so.

So my plan now will be to run with the 3:30 pacers. I think that should hopefully be achieveable & if it looks like it's working out on the day maybe I'll be able to push on from around mile 20. I'd be overjoyed if I manage to pull a run like that off. Otherwise, I'll find out the hard way that I haven't done enough training and the normally reserved people of Paris will be moved to soften their gallic shrugs by the limping Irishman crossing the line as the sun goes down swearing that he'll never run again.

You look like you'll have a few Kenyans worried in Rotterdam based on your recent form. Not too long to go there either. All set?

Advertisement