Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

coalshed wrote: »
    My Paris prep is turning out a bit like Ireland's rugby match on Saturday...it all went great for the first half, looking rocky for the second period. (But hopefully I'll hang on)

I've missed two long runs recently which worries me as my longest run has been 17 miles, so I've two weeks left to do a 20 and a 16 miler, so yeah, taper pretty much starts after this coming Sunday. (Although P&D's take on taper is a lot more active than my couch based approach would be!)

I had innocently/ambitiously identified a target time of 3:20 back in December but the past few months have thought me that there's a big difference between dreaming up a time and actually executing it on the road. Similarly, I figured 1:30 would be a suitable target for the half marathon distance but really I no know that that involves a massive step up from 1:36 or so.

So my plan now will be to run with the 3:30 pacers. I think that should hopefully be achieveable & if it looks like it's working out on the day maybe I'll be able to push on from around mile 20. I'd be overjoyed if I manage to pull a run like that off. Otherwise, I'll find out the hard way that I haven't done enough training and the normally reserved people of Paris will be moved to soften their gallic shrugs by the limping Irishman crossing the line as the sun goes down swearing that he'll never run again.

You look like you'll have a few Kenyans worried in Rotterdam based on your recent form. Not too long to go there either. All set?

I'd say 3:30 is achievable for you, but I suppose there is only one way to find out. Try and cruise through the first half and keep as much energy as possible for the later stages.

I'm kind of the same as you. The last couple of weeks have not been great missing runs here and there. Looking for 2 solid weeks now before taper. I've a couple of 21 milers done. A 19 and 22 LSR left and will try to incorporate PMP miles in one of these and also in the midweek runs. I'll be more confident once I get these under my belt and get a feel for PMP which I have not had much practice at yet!

It wont be long creeping up on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

blockic wrote: »
    I've a couple of 21 milers done. A 19 and 22 LSR left and will try to incorporate PMP miles in one of these and also in the midweek runs. I'll be more confident once I get these under my belt and get a feel for PMP which I have not had much practice at yet!

It wont be long creeping up on us!

You've some nice longs under your belt there. What's your PMP?

You've some nice longs under your belt there. What's your PMP?

6:50 at the moment, will see how achievable that is over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Meep Meep*

* An image of the Road Runner springs to mind :)

Meep Meep*

* An image of the Road Runner springs to mind :)

Haha, problem is I could be like this after 20miles! :pac:

220px-A._gigantea_Aldabra_Giant_Tortoise.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Glad I'm not running today, anyone out in the snow?
    Eating rings around me the last few weeks too... Anyone else? I'm sure it's just the increased training

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Did 4 miles at lunch time - 3 in what felt like a snow blizzard, blowing straight into my face - looked a right state afterwards:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Eating rings around me the last few weeks too... Anyone else? I'm sure it's just the increased training

I was thinking the same thing, I'd say that the treadmills are busy over the next few days.

Stuffed my face today, was really good over the weekend with Kids party cake & goodies etc but let loose at lunch. Its all about balance - just need to use up the calories now! 3 biggest weeks of training ahead with 45, 46 & 47 mile weeks before things cool off to taper. thats my excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Was out after work for 6 miles. Most of which was into the blizzard conditions. Was thankful for the leggings I bought before Christmas.

Was out after work for 6 miles. Most of which was into the blizzard conditions. Was thankful for the leggings I bought before Christmas.
    Fair play!! Some of them showers were heavy and I'm sure they bit your face off.. I had visions of wearing a balaclava

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I've been so bold, haven't run since Friday! Was fully intending to do 11 miles this evening, but my gear was in my husbands car and by the time he got home, it was starting to snow pretty hard so I cried off :(

So now I have to do 50 miles in 6 days :( not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    So now I have to do 50 miles in 6 days :( not fun.

Just be careful not to overdo it N - what you've missed, you've missed. No sense getting an injury trying to make it up.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just be careful not to overdo it N - what you've missed, you've missed. No sense getting an injury trying to make it up.

Will do, should be ok, was due to take tomorrow as a rest day anyway so I'll just move things around and do my recovery runs good and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

wore my Waterford half neck/hood/scarf thingy today for the first time. surprisingly comfy don't think i could ever wear it running though but you never know in this weather!

It's called a snood and they're fantastic! I wear mine pretty much every day cycling to and from work as well as for a good few runs when it's cold. Definitely the best goodie-bag item I've ever got at a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

It's called a snood and they're fantastic! I wear mine pretty much every day cycling to and from work as well as for a good few runs when it's cold. Definitely the best goodie-bag item I've ever got at a race.

Yeah I got one of them a few years ago for cycling. About halfway through my run today I really wished I'd remembered where I'd put it.

+1 T shirts are piling up at this stage so nice to get something different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Yup. And I had a dream before work this morning about eating a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Been lucky enough with the weather down here,just a few a light flurries of snow.
    Went on a planned 10 mile run this morning(ended up doing 12) with 5 miles to be done at MP.Temp on car said -2 but felt a lot colder due to the wind chill factor,was damn greatful for the cheap pair of gloves I bought last week:-)
    Was tough against the wind to hit MP goal but happy enough with the effort but with the wind at my back I was hitting HMP with ease:-D.

Hope we don't see too much of the snow down here,14 mile run planned for the morning.

Have to say felt really tired for most of last week & my appetite has gone through the roof,need to get a bit more disciplined as regards eating & probably a bit more importantly snacking.

Also eating all round me and using the high calorie burn count to justify it. Need to start remembering though that eating crap is going to make me feel crap and my arteries will still clog up from it. As the saying goes - you are what you eat (Unfortunately that often makes me cheap, quick and easy :P)

• Advertisement

Serious mileage being put in docjewel. I'm always impressed when I see your numbers on the spreadsheet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Also eating all round me and using the high calorie burn count to justify it. Need to start remembering though that eating crap is going to make me feel crap and my arteries will still clog up from it. As the saying goes - you are what you eat (Unfortunately that often makes me cheap, quick and easy :P)

Haha could be worse.....you could be overrated and unsatisfying :D

scriba wrote: »

Yup. And I had a dream before work this morning about eating a kebab.
    Lol... You beast... My dream last night was of smoking a big reefer... Been a long time!! I'm sure that wouldn't help the training. I've found my dreams more vivid in the past months, clearer head maybe.

docjewel wrote: »

Have to say felt really tired for most of last week & my appetite has gone through the roof,need to get a bit more disciplined as regards eating & probably a bit more importantly snacking.

Glad I'm not I'm not alone so!

Haha could be worse.....you could be overrated and unsatisfying :D

When were you talking to Mrs D? :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Lol... You beast... My dream last night was of smoking a big reefer... Been a long time!! I'm sure that wouldn't help the training. I've found my dreams more vivid in the past months, clearer head maybe.

Ha, I've only just restored my motivation levels to 'average human' setting, thanks to taking up running. That's a road back to lazy tasty snackytown!

Maybe it's a sign though. A nice three-skinner waiting for me at mile 20 to ease me home. :p

I could murder a pizza now.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I eating wayyyy too much also! Seriously must have devoured 3.500 calories today alone! :( Did do 8.1m after big 4 course dinner today though n the headwind for last 4 miles was bitter! Horrible going back to the cold bitter days when we had such nice weather again there for awhile, such a pleasure to run in in comparison :(

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

blockic wrote: »
    Serious mileage being put in docjewel. I'm always impressed when I see your numbers on the spreadsheet!
    +1 to that! , n blockie u too! Serious miles both of ye! Paying off n that's the main thing, well done to u both!

Thank god I'm not the only one stuffing myself every 5 minutes! I am seriously eating myself out of house and home. I'd be embarrassed to think how many calories I packed in over the weekend. My problem is that I always reach for the lazy option of quick empty carbs. Really need to put a proper eating plan in place or I am in serious danger of becoming a fattie!

• Advertisement

Anyone buy an easter egg yet and eat it all..by themselves?? No? Just me? ok.....:pac:

Yeah, I'm eating outragously at the moment too!

Advertisement