Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

blockic wrote: »
    Anyone buy an easter egg yet and eat it all..by themselves?? No? Just me? ok.....:pac:

Yeah, I'm eating outragously at the moment too!

Man, I did that THREE weeks ago.

*runs off to cry in shower*

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

To be fair ,everyone that's doing an upcoming marathon seems to be putting in a fair effort but for me Runchick's mileage is pretty awesome considering she has most of her runs done (including 14 mile midweek runs) before most even think of falling out of the bed.B-)
    Now I like morning runs but even I'm not that mad:-)

Also seeing the rest of you guys pushing on the miles keeps me motivated to try & keep pushing on,already we can see all this milage us paying off for everyone & long may it continue.

Anyone buy an easter egg yet and eat it all..by themselves?? No? Just me? ok.....:pac:

Yeah, I'm eating outragously at the moment too!

Haven't eaten one yet but bought some for my nieces the other day (3 for €5) & they look so tempting hmmmm........O:-) cup of tea & chocolate...

Think after reading this thread tonight we'll have to set up our own little confession subthread here :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

docjewel wrote: »
    Haven't eaten one yet but bought some for my nieces the other day (3 for €5) & they look so tempting hmmmm........O:-) cup of tea & chocolate...

Haha, I bought them for my cousins 3 for €5, but there are only two of them so.. win win!! :D

Think there is a confession thread around, must go look that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Think after reading this thread tonight we'll have to set up our own little confession subthread here :-D
    Oh please can we not do that! I know I'd win the 'most horrendous diet' award and then I'd probably eat the award :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

One mention of joints and everyone's talking about junk food...

You are ATHLETES people. Shape up.

(oh, and eh, I had a double cheese burger at 1030 last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

To be fair ,everyone that's doing an upcoming marathon seems to be putting in a fair effort but for me Runchick's mileage is pretty awesome considering she has most of her runs done (including 14 mile midweek runs) before most even think of falling out of the bed.B-)
    Now I like morning runs but even I'm not that mad:-)

Also seeing the rest of you guys pushing on the miles keeps me motivated to try & keep pushing on,already we can see all this milage us paying off for everyone & long may it continue.

Thanks docjewel but before I start polishing my halo let me give you some perspective. I live with 3 wee people who absolutely LOVE to get up early every morning. I leg it out the door for a run and Mr Runchick sorts them out and has a lovely breakfast ready for me when I get back :p I think he's the unsung hero in this house ;) Personally I think those of you who do a days work, get home and then find the motivation to go back out for a run are brilliant. But agree that the support and motivation from this thread is invaluable :D

So after a horrible weekend full of sickness I got back to normal yesterday and went for a 6 mile easy run this morning. I felt fantastic, legs felt fresh and it was hard to keep it easy to be honest. However I now feel a bit less than 100% and am wondering if I went back a bit too soon. P&D has me doing 12 mile with 7 @ hmp tomorrow, 12 miles on Friday, recovery run Sat and 20 miles on Sunday :eek:

I'm thinking its probably best to postpone the speed session until Thursday to give myself another day to recover. Then I might just skip Friday's 12 miles or at least do a short recovery run. Its a pity as its the highest mileage week and I really wanted to do it for some strange reason, but I suppose being healthy is the main thing. And with a HM lined up for the following weekend I really want to do the session with miles at HMP this week...bloody sickness makes it all so complicated :confused:

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm thinking its probably best to postpone the speed session until Thursday to give myself another day to recover. Then I might just skip Friday's 12 miles or at least do a short recovery run. Its a pity as its the highest mileage week and I really wanted to do it for some strange reason, but I suppose being healthy is the main thing. And with a HM lined up for the following weekend I really want to do the session with miles at HMP this week...bloody sickness makes it all so complicated :confused:

Definitely postpone the LT session until Thursday or even Friday as that one is tough, only do it if you are fully recovered. Do a recovery run Sat and then ther LSR sunday if your up for it. Dropping the 12 miler won't impact you at all in the long run.

And on the above, don't worry I always feel the same too!:D

So after a horrible weekend full of sickness I got back to normal yesterday and went for a 6 mile easy run this morning. I felt fantastic, legs felt fresh and it was hard to keep it easy to be honest. However I now feel a bit less than 100% and am wondering if I went back a bit too soon. P&D has me doing 12 mile with 7 @ hmp tomorrow, 12 miles on Friday, recovery run Sat and 20 miles on Sunday :eek:

+1 on what Blockic said, do a handy run tomorrow, LT run on Thursday/ Friday, recovery/rest on Sat and then your LSR on Sunday ONLY IF YOU'RE FIT FOR IT! You know yourself the dangers of running when not 100%, you could knock your training for weeks if you don't allow yourself to recovery properly. A 12 mile run missed is nothing in the scheme of things. You don't want to take any chances when you have the HM next week. You'll kick yourself if you under perform due to not having knocked this sickness on the head.

Also +1 to what Doc Jewel says about your running. I know i've said it before, but I have massive respect to those that do the early morning runs and all of you who are juggling jobs, kids AND running. It's seriously impressive.

• Advertisement

Definitely postpone the LT session until Thursday or even Friday as that one is tough, only do it if you are fully recovered. Do a recovery run Sat and then ther LSR sunday if your up for it. Dropping the 12 miler won't impact you at all in the long run.

And on the above, don't worry I always feel the same too!:D

Cheers Blockic, sound advice and just what I needed to be told :)

ncmc wrote: »
    +1 on what Blockic said, do a handy run tomorrow, LT run on Thursday/ Friday, recovery/rest on Sat and then your LSR on Sunday ONLY IF YOU'RE FIT FOR IT! You know yourself the dangers of running when not 100%, you could knock your training for weeks if you don't allow yourself to recovery properly. A 12 mile run missed is nothing in the scheme of things. You don't want to take any chances when you have the HM next week. You'll kick yourself if you under perform due to not having knocked this sickness on the head.

Also +1 to what Doc Jewel says about your running. I know i've said it before, but I have massive respect to those that do the early morning runs and all of you who are juggling jobs, kids AND running. It's seriously impressive.

Thanks ncmc, another voice of reason, exactly what I need, much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Plan was to have a fastish run today, the last high effort run before HM at weekend. So decided to do 5 miles @ planned HMP (8:30) to see how it felt.

What happened was something slightly different.

5 miles @7:40avg pace , 38:38 (This is an unintended, unofficial 5mi PB by 2 mins:eek:)

Splits 7:47, 7:57, 7:37, 7:32, 7:44

Real signs of improvement and my confidence levels going into HM this weekend are high:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

RedRunner wrote: »
    Plan was to have a fastish run today, the last high effort run before HM at weekend. So decided to do 5 miles @ planned HMP (8:30) to see how it felt.

What happened was something slightly different.

5 miles @7:40avg pace , 38:38 (This is an unintended, unofficial 5mi PB by 2 mins:eek:)

Splits 7:47, 7:57, 7:37, 7:32, 7:44

Real signs of improvement and my confidence levels going into HM this weekend are high:)

Good stuff! How hard did you find that five miler, you could be selling yourself a bit short with 8.30 pace for HM there?

Good stuff! How hard did you find that five miler, you could be selling yourself a bit short with 8.30 pace for HM there?

Thanks. Yeah you're not the first person to say that to me today. I was tired at end but not wrecked so there was more to give I'd say.I genuinely surprised myself today. I'm going to adjust my pace to 8:15 for first half of race and then see how I feel.If I'm feeling good I will try and push on , if I'm finding it tough I'll just try maintain that pace.

The one thing that was different today to other runs was that I ran it at about 1130 this morning as I had the day off work. Usually otherwise I'd be running early in morning or in the evening after a days work so that might have helped also with energy levels.

+1

I'd agree on that. If it were me, I'd probably try 8:00 - 8:05 and hang on, depending on the course. What does the e'er ambitious McMillan calculator say? If you can't test yourself in a race, then when? Best of luck!

scriba wrote: »
    +1

I'd agree on that. If it were me, I'd probably try 8:00 - 8:05 and hang on, depending on the course. What does the e'er ambitious McMillan calculator say? If you can't test yourself in a race, then when? Best of luck!

Yeah, I have said 8:15 myself. Main reason for not going more agressive than that is that RR is just back :pac: from a back injury...too much too soon and all that. Plus, on this occasion he will smash his PB without going all out such is the progress he has made!

Main reason for not going more agressive than that is that RR is just back :pac: from a back injury...too much too soon and all that.

Ooh! Didn't know that, cheers blockic. Still, too much carrot and not enough stick going around these days. 7:30 pace, RedRunner, or there'll be lashes! :P

8:15 sounds perfectly sensible, the important thing is to keep form as long as possible, and that pace should allow you run well, finish well, and avoid injury. In my most unlearned opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Cheers Blockic, sound advice and just what I needed to be told :)
    That's serious mileage !! Eek! I cudnt do those miles at slow pace let alone LT! I'd def do like others advised, fair play to u running at all after all the sickness ! Ur body wudnt b fit to do all that after sickness anyway so don't overdo it! Good luck! :)

Got a 13.85 mile run done this morning,was supposed to be 14 but got caught for time:-P will just have to run a little faster next time.
    A nice slow 5miler recovery run planned for the morning:-D

My plans to do Cork have been thrown a small bit into disarray,OH works every second weekend which meant she should have been off on the Monday but her new timetable has some weekends working Sunday/Monday & it happens that the June bank holiday is one of those weekends:'(
    They also have new rules to contend with for annual leave so will just have to wait & see what happens before I can enter but fingers crossed something can be worked out.

• Advertisement

scriba wrote: »
    Ooh! Didn't know that, cheers blockic. Still, too much carrot and not enough stick going around these days. 7:30 pace, RedRunner, or there'll be lashes! :P

8:15 sounds perfectly sensible, the important thing is to keep form as long as possible, and that pace should allow you run well, finish well, and avoid injury. In my most unlearned opinion.

Thanks Scriba.

To put things in context I've had 5 good weeks of training after being off running for three weeks with prolapsed disc in my back and was out for 10 days a couple of weeks earlier with a hamstring strain so I am very pleased to be where I am now. There is time yet later in the year to really go for it.

Did a 7 miler last night.

Half way through a girl standing on the path stopped me to point out a dead horse that looked like it had rolled down an embankment by the side of the road. Poor thing was in a heap at the bottom of the slope about 30 feet below the road.

There are lots of loose horses along this route I run - between Lucan and the N7 - so this wasn't massively surprising, but still hopefully now the ISPCA will become involved and may see the other horses in the area.

I rang the local gardai and continued on my way.

On my return some local kids told me that the horse had been shot in the head!

Average pace: 8:03 min/mile.

coalshed wrote: »
    Did a 7 miler last night.

Half way through a girl standing on the path stopped me to point out a dead horse that looked like it had rolled down an embankment by the side of the road. Poor thing was in a heap at the bottom of the slope about 30 feet below the road.

There are lots of loose horses along this route I run - between Lucan and the N7 - so this wasn't massively surprising, but still hopefully now the ISPCA will become involved and may see the other horses in the area.

I rang the local gardai and continued on my way.

On my return some local kids told me that the horse had been shot in the head!

Average pace: 8:03 min/mile.
    Oh my god, that’s horrific! Poor thing :( I get upset when I see a dead bird on the road, I definitely would have had to turn back if I came across a dead horse

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh my god, that’s horrific! Poor thing :( I get upset when I see a dead bird on the road, I definitely would have had to turn back if I came across a dead horse

Ah it was dark enough that you'd hardly recognise what it was unless you knew what you were looking at.

Still, I'll ring the ispca later and check that they're on it as the garda I spoke to was very rude and didn't seem to give a damn so I'm not entirely confident a car was sent round.

Got a 13.85 mile run done this morning,was supposed to be 14 but got caught for time:-P will just have to run a little faster next time.
    A nice slow 5miler recovery run planned for the morning:-D

My plans to do Cork have been thrown a small bit into disarray,OH works every second weekend which meant she should have been off on the Monday but her new timetable has some weekends working Sunday/Monday & it happens that the June bank holiday is one of those weekends:'(
    They also have new rules to contend with for annual leave so will just have to wait & see what happens before I can enter but fingers crossed something can be worked out.
    That would be a total bummer D, hope you can get something sorted. Stupid work getting the way of important things like running :mad:

Passed the same spot again on my 10 mile run home tonight. The dead Horse was still there in the same heap.

Forgot to contact dspca today but have tweeted them this evening, hopefully it'll get looked after now.

4 miles @9:07 tonight. Nice easy run. Some foam rolling too as I've some soreness in calves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Foam rolling.........went for a massage today, felt great going in, but once she started it really showed me how tight certain muscles were.
    Must do more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Anyone else getting it in the earhole lately about being too preoccupied with running? ;-)
    It's more what happens aroudn the running, like being on boards (iphone), and taking up the washing machine with smelly running gear! And readign running books... and stretching & extra showers... and talking about running too much... and having to be told the same thing numerous times cos I was dreaming about my marathon time!
    I must be obsessed... anyways! I love it but I have to be a bit less immersed & more 'present' when I'm home... brain dump ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Anyone else getting it in the earhole lately about being too preoccupied with running? ;-)
    It's more what happens aroudn the running, like being on boards (iphone), and taking up the washing machine with smelly running gear! And readign running books... and stretching & extra showers... and talking about running too much... and having to be told the same thing numerous times cos I was dreaming about my marathon time!
    I must be obsessed... anyways! I love it but I have to be a bit less immersed & more 'present' when I'm home... brain dump ;-)

I asked the missus would I have time for a run on Tuesday before we left for the hospital (baby by C section booked in for Tuesday) She thought I was joking - I don't think I was :pac:

Advertisement