Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Anyone else getting it in the earhole lately about being too preoccupied with running? ;-)
    It's more what happens aroudn the running, like being on boards (iphone), and taking up the washing machine with smelly running gear! And readign running books... and stretching & extra showers... and talking about running too much... and having to be told the same thing numerous times cos I was dreaming about my marathon time!
    I must be obsessed... anyways! I love it but I have to be a bit less immersed & more 'present' when I'm home... brain dump ;-)

Is the extra stamina not appreciated :D.

I think you have to find the right balance. Other half will slowly get used to running being included in daily life and you need to make sure everything doesn't revolve around running all that time.

And if you cant get that right try getting him/her to run! Mrs Dazza doing a 5k in a couple of weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Is the extra stamina not appreciated :D.

I think you have to find the right balance. Other half will slowly get used to running being included in daily life and you need to make sure everything doesn't revolve around running all that time.

And if you cant get that right try getting him/her to run! Mrs Dazza doing a 5k in a couple of weeks :D

I like it. Mrs Rooney is going the Fingal 10K & did her first run last weekend... so it might change things ;-) but I know it's definitely a balance alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Anyone else getting it in the earhole lately about being too preoccupied with running? ;-)
    It's more what happens aroudn the running, like being on boards (iphone), and taking up the washing machine with smelly running gear! And readign running books... and stretching & extra showers... and talking about running too much... and having to be told the same thing numerous times cos I was dreaming about my marathon time!
    I must be obsessed... anyways! I love it but I have to be a bit less immersed & more 'present' when I'm home... brain dump ;-)
    Constantly! I try not to let it interfere with family life even if it means a dreaded early morning run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

This is a major major issue for me too. Wife is home with our little man all day and I feel bad coming home from work and going out and leaving her with him again. Or at the weekends. It's a real problem

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Also have issues with the OH. Three little ones at home so know he is getting raw end of the deal! Am keeping quiet and staying under the radar at the moment until about May. Then I have to introduce the idea of another DCM slowly. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Finally got the Garmin 410 from Amazon, would've bought a second hand one here but nobody had anything I was interested in.
    I'll try using it for my longish run at the weekend.

4.61 miles @8:31 avg tonight. Rest tmw, carb loading,some stretching/rolling and then 2-3 miles gentle run sometime sat evening in prep for race on Sunday. Looking forward to it now,hope weather is ok.Forecast not too bad at moment.

RedRunner wrote: »
    4.61 miles @8:31 avg tonight. Rest tmw, carb loading,some stretching/rolling and then 2-3 miles gentle run someting sat evening in prep for race on Sunday. Looking forward to it now,hope weather is ok.Forecast not too bad at moment.

Hey RR, whats the goal time for Sunday. I've been mad busy in work so havn't had time to be reading logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

rasher_m wrote: »
    Finally got the Garmin 410 from Amazon, would've bought a second hand one here but nobody had anything I was interested in.
    I'll try using it for my longish run at the weekend.

How mych u get that one for rasher? have one as well, its really easy to use though i only use basic features. garmin connect is handy though for tracking runs/progress etc. pity it didn,t have an app for instant responding to every thread on boards like all the busy people on here !

tomred1N wrote: »
    How mych u get that one for rasher? have one as well, its really easy to use though i only use basic features. garmin connect is handy though for tracking runs/progress etc. pity it didn,t have an app for instant responding to every thread on boards like all the busy people on here !

I paid 172 euro, that includes heart rate monitor and postage. I know you can get it a few quid cheaper on a good day or if you have UK address but I was talking about getting this for a while so I just took the plunge.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, I havn't had the time to study the features yet, i've only charged it so far. :D

I'm not even sure why I'm buying it, I seem to be stuck at the same speed for ages. Maybe it will give me inspiration??

Whats the Garmin connect? Is this something that comes with it...as I said I havn't studied anything yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Garmin connect is an application that you can download and sync your watch with. All your runs would be downloaded to it and over time you can generate stats etc.
    Very useful and makes the garmin worthwhile.

Hey RR, whats the goal time for Sunday. I've been mad busy in work so havn't had time to be reading logs.

Hey there R_M. Current PB is 1:56:36...hoping to get under 1:50:00. It's a hilly course so not sure what to expect but training has been going well in last couple of weeks so we'll see how it goes.

How is your own recovery coming along?

I got a garmin 410 myself before Christmas but I noticed now that one of the buttons has started getting stuck....must check that warranty! It's agreat watch otherwise. I really like it but I seem to be unlucky with watches.

I paid 172 euro, that includes heart rate monitor and postage. I know you can get it a few quid cheaper on a good day or if you have UK address but I was talking about getting this for a while so I just took the plunge.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, I havn't had the time to study the features yet, i've only charged it so far. :D

I'm not even sure why I'm buying it, I seem to be stuck at the same speed for ages. Maybe it will give me inspiration??

Whats the Garmin connect? Is this something that comes with it...as I said I havn't studied anything yet.

ya u get a usb key with it plug and play ....really just fookin press ok.... !! and it logs ur runs on garmin connect website. think ur man krusty clown on gear thread developed it!!! If you want a detailed breakdown of the code though u could ask him to setup a 2013 garmin novice thread. that should flush him out whether he owns garmin inc or not !!

Garmin connect is an application that you can download and sync your watch with. All your runs would be downloaded to it and over time you can generate stats etc.
    Very useful and makes the garmin worthwhile.

Ah yeah I remember Lizzy talking about that alright
    Hey there R_M. Current PB is 1:56:36...hoping to get under 1:50:00. It's a hilly course so not sure what to expect but training has been going well in last couple of weeks so we'll see how it goes.

How is your own recovery coming along?

I got a garmin 410 myself before Christmas but I noticed now that one of the buttons has started getting stuck....must check that warranty! It's agreat watch otherwise. I really like it but I seem to be unlucky with watches.

Yeah I've seen your time, I'd expect you to get nearer to 1.45. You must be doing 1.50 in training sure?

I'm coming along, I'm running every second day and it seems to be suiting me. My calves are very tight most of the time which is something I never experienced before. Its like cramping. I didn't even get that while marathon training. I'm stretching almost every day so not sure why this is happening. I'm thinking of doing the Great Ireland run, will see how I feel I guess. Good luck with your race ;)
    ya u get a usb key with it plug and play ....really just fookin press ok.... !! and it logs ur runs on garmin connect website. think ur man krusty clown on gear thread developed it!!! If you want a detailed breakdown of the code though u could ask him to setup a 2013 garmin novice thread. that should flush him out whether he owns garmin inc or not !!

wow, very impressive...hes mad for the running. lol...I'll have to come to terms with learning how to use everything first :)

Yeah I've seen your time, I'd expect you to get nearer to 1.45. You must be doing 1.50 in training sure?

I would honestly be over the moon with 1:45!
    I'm coming along, I'm running every second day and it seems to be suiting me. My calves are very tight most of the time which is something I never experienced before. Its like cramping. I didn't even get that while marathon training. I'm stretching almost every day so not sure why this is happening. I'm thinking of doing the Great Ireland run, will see how I feel I guess. Good luck with your race ;)

Hope things improve for you soon. I'm doing the GIR myself. Thanks for the Good luck;)

I would honestly be over the moon with 1:45!

I think ya'll get it, i'd be over the moon to get even under 1.50 myself.

Hope things improve for you soon. I'm doing the GIR myself. Thanks for the Good luck;)

Thanks, I really hope so too :)

Ah yeah I remember Lizzy talking about that alright

wow, very impressive...hes mad for the running. lol...I'll have to come to terms with learning how to use everything first :)

i'm fairly pissed (off) tonite. if we had shafted younganne last year and got Sonia from cobh to mentor us i,m certain we would have got sub four. even could have got o lionard from west along ......mad as a hatter but sure so was roy keane and what trouble did he ever cause !!!

i'm fairly pissed (off) tonite. if we had shafted younganne last year and got Sonia from cobh to mentor us i,m certain we would have got sub four. even could have got o lionard from west along ......mad as a hatter but sure so was roy keane and what trouble did he ever cause !!!

...at the risk of sounding contraversial I think one of the guys who were concerned about the mentoring of the thread should stand up to the plate and lead the thread.

...should I even be talking about this...maybe not...apologies to anyone I offend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

...at the risk of sounding contraversial I think one of the guys who were concerned about the mentoring of the thread should stand up to the plate and lead the thread.

...should I even be talking about this...maybe not...apologies to anyone I offend.

I really think the trend of one of last years novices being the following years mentor is a great one and one that should be continued. It's kind of like a passing of the torch. I have been on this forum for a few years now, and even though I enjoy giving out advise to new runners I would like to think that people I have given advice to would pass it on (plus their own experiences) to others in the future.
    Lot's of the lads criticising on that thread are ones who have been here for years (long before me), have been very helpful to others over the years and should be given a lot of respect. It's not a good idea to brush them off and at the same stage it is too much to expect them to become a mentor. A lot of them are already mentors to other athletes and have been giving the likes of me advice for many year before.

Just my 2c....

menoscemo wrote: »
    I really think the trend of one of last years novices being the following years mentor is a great one and one that should be continued. It's kind of like a passing of the torch. I have been on this forum for a few years now, and even though I enjoy giving out advise to new runners I would like to think that people I have given advice to would pass it on (plus their own experiences) to others in the future.
    Lot's of the lads criticising on that thread are ones who have been here for years (long before me), have been very helpful to others over the years and should be given a lot of respect. It's not a good idea to brush them off and at the same stage it is too much to expect them to become a mentor. A lot of them are already mentors to other athletes and have been giving the likes of me advice for many year before.

Just my 2c....

God, the last thing I'm doing is being disrespectful to them. I know only too well the amount of dedication and work they put into their own running and some coach other as well.

I suppose one of the reasons I think they should is because I would love to get some advice from them as well.

I'm sure one of them could put together a decent sub four plan ;)

I do think though that they should participate either way, i don't remember seeing any posts of advice last year from any of the guys (I could've missed it) who showed concern today. I know they're mad busy with schedules and life but still...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

God, the last thing I'm doing is being disrespectful to them. I know only too well the amount of dedication and work they put into their own running and some coach other as well.

I suppose one of the reasons I think they should is because I would love to get some advice from them as well.

I'm sure one of them could put together a decent sub four plan ;)

I do think though that they should participate either way, i don't remember seeing any posts of advice last year from any of the guys (I could've missed it) who showed concern today. I know they're mad busy with schedules and life but still...

I know I have gone quiet on here as of late but I am quite willing to put together a sub4/sub 3:30 plan later in the spring/summer for DCM 2013. I think it is completely different to the novice thread in that it would assume a decent running base and previous marathon experience.
    I wouldn't trust Pisco for a marathon plan as he never runs more than 400m, as for Kurt, did you see his marathon training last year ? :pac:

I know I have gone quiet on here as of late but I am quite willing to put together a sub4/sub 3:30 plan later in the spring/summer for DCM 2013. I think it is completely different to the novice thread in that it would assume a decent running base and previous marathon experience.
    I wouldn't trust Pisco for a marathon plan as he never runs more than 400m, as for Kurt, did you see his marathon training last year ? :pac:

Ah you're very good meno, you've loads of time for people :)
    Health permitting, i'd be delighted about that.

Yeah now that you say it...wasn't Kurt pacing 4.15?
    I think I might've been running beside him for a while.

Just my 2c....

spot on meno....if anyone wants to figure things out here for themselves read a few different logs which pertain to themselves. people who are in their 30,s or 40's with kids etc or have gone from 20 stone to running sub 3.30 marathons are going to be different characters to someone who is 21 and running bloody 10k in 30 odd mins. Read a few logs that pertain to your situation and remember no one here is going to the bloody olympics ....the individual logs on here are what provide inspiration and reality to what is possible to enjoy an enjoyable excercise routine /healthy hobby. You wont find this in any of the one fits all forums so you should not expect it. I wasn,t interested in a 5.40 marathon or a 3.30 marathon last year so i didn,t read any logs pertaining to either. I did follow ur winter plan even though ur a dub and it was very good !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Quick question Meno (or any anyone eles for that matter!!), fast finish long runs aside, what would be the longest PMP midweek run you would do in a marathon buildup? Also, would it be a separate session to the midweek medium run or would it be built in? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I know I have gone quiet on here as of late but I am quite willing to put together a sub4/sub 3:30 plan later in the spring/summer for DCM 2013.

Any 2:30 plan?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Whats the Garmin connect?

Garmin Connect is the Garmin website that stores your stats when you upload from your watch. It's OK. Endomondo is possibly better, and is also compatible with your watch. There are a few different sites, you don't have to use the Garmin one, which is rather clunky and slow. And ugly too!

murphd77 wrote: »
    Garmin Connect is the Garmin website that stores your stats when you upload from your watch. It's OK. Endomondo is possibly better, and is also compatible with your watch. There are a few different sites, you don't have to use the Garmin one, which is rather clunky and slow. And ugly too!

Thats interesting, I'll have a look at both over the weekend, cheers Murph.
    Have you got an app or watch yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Also very disappointed with how the novice 2013 thread has started. I fear that if the mentor is changed now it could be difficult to get someone else to take it on for fear of their imperfections being publicly thrown in their face.

The way it's always been on Boards is that if you've a problem with a moderator decision then there are avenues for pursuing that discussion off-thread. PM's appointment was well-flagged and there was ample opportunity to challenge it quietly before the thread was started.

I support the practise of having a last-year novice mentor the next year novices and also the use of HH novice plans - anything much more I think would have turned me off last year. I also support the mentoring team and note that I probably had more interaction with Meno and other non-mentors last year than I had with Anne but she was always there to keep the thing on track and to give good advice. It never bothered me how fast she could run a marathon.

I'll say no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's a difficult one to call. There is a bit of sense on what they are saying but at the same time it has also kind of come across as elitist snobbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Very subtle :D

Just my 2c....

For the public record I have asked ecoli to delete the thread completely and start with someone new.

As Meno says - it is a tradition for a novice to run the novice thread. As I stated on thread at the time I wouldn't have considered myself best choice at all for the role doing it solo but I felt that (and still do) that a team of myself Blockic and career_move was the best outcome from last years group. We had a load of ideas like bringing you guys in on a weekly basis, posting up everyones "what I wish I'd known before I started" feedback from after the marathon etc, an evolved tracker and for the first time a plan that would cater for a wider range of novices, including an earlier start to help those coming off the couch to 5k etc and a schedule for higher calibre runners aiming for faster times. In short we were comfortable, we had the task in hand covered as best as any set of novices could. Of course a more experienced runner / non novice could do a better job and perhaps lessons are learned here for going forward.

I'm of course disappointed that those criticising could not see the team structure in place and more importantly that the concerns were not raised before the thread was started. The level of criticism even got as far as to criticise the plan as if following it was some kind of newbie mistake when the plan itself was not criticised in 4 years previously. As much as something can be stated as "nothing personal" but to get a stream of posts afterwards which were painting me in a very bad light (and worse still inaccurately stating my personal history) can't be taken as anything but personal by the person targetted.

I'm going to stop that here as I'm heading down the line of defending myself too much and I don't want to have this thread turn into a continuation of the argument. :pac: All I would like to state for the public record is that I didn't volunteer nor seek the appointment. When asked I accepted because I wanted to give something back to the community as I do with the spreadsheets etc for the support the community gave me last year and I felt I addressed any shortcomings I had for the role. As at this point my participation and continuing in the role would be counter productive for the community and I have therefore effectively resigned.

Thanks to everyone who supported me in the last few days both publically and by PM here and thanks to those who were man / woman enough to pm me personally with their thoughts even if those thoughts were not in support of me in the role itself.

Advertisement