Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

docjewel wrote: »
    Had hoped to do a 20 mile run this morning with an 11 miler for Sunday morning but due to a major f^*k up on my behalf I had read my wifes timetable incorrectly so only had time for a fast(fast for my legs anyway:D) 5 miles this morning & am now left with trying to get the 11 miler in early (will have to be a 6am start) tomorrow & the 20 miler early again Sunday morning as we have family commitments from about 11am onwards.

Looking forward to Monday now as it is gonna be a rest day(wife working & the kids have no school) so a guaranteed lie in is on the cards:P

You call this early? Career Move will be on her second run at this stage! :D

Fair play for the dedication in getting the miles in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haha rest day for me tomorrow.....can't guarantee it but I may even still be in my leaba at 6a.m :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Haha rest day for me tomorrow.....can't guarantee it but I may even still be in my leaba at 6a.m :P

How can you justify a rest day when you have only 40 miles done this week :D.

How many 20 milers have you done/planned for limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Wow, I've read the other thread. Lets hope it is resolved to everyones satisfaction, it made a big difference to my motivation & was directly responsible for me continuing to run after DCM12.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Wow, I've read the other thread. Lets hope it is resolved to everyones satisfaction, it made a big difference to my motivation & was directly responsible for me continuing to run after DCM12.

Amen to that. I was only a lurker last year but derived great pleasure knowing others were working towards the same goal as me and reading about the same trials and doubts I was having myself.

It was a great resource that newbies for DCM13 will hopefully benefit from once again.

• Advertisement

dazza21ie wrote: »
    How can you justify a rest day when you have only 40 miles done this week :D.

How many 20 milers have you done/planned for limerick?
    I know it's slack. I really feel like I'm being lazy but it is St Patrick's weekend ;)

I did one a couple of weeks ago. So one on Sunday then a couple of 22milers and I'm all set :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I did one a couple of weeks ago. So one on Sunday then a couple of 22milers and I'm all set :D

2x20m is my max - I'm sticking with the theory that overdoing the long runs just causes you to be too fatigued without having significant extra benefit. Also I couldn't be bothered.

Actually suffering from AHTFUD tonight with 14k to do, 6k at 10mP. Anyone got any spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dilbert75 wrote: »

2x20m is my max - I'm sticking with the theory that overdoing the long runs just causes you to be too fatigued without having significant extra benefit. Also I couldn't be bothered.

Actually suffering from AHTFUD tonight with 14k to do, 6k at 10mP. Anyone got any spare?

Sorry dude, used all mine last night, needed it all.

On the subject of 20 miles, I've planned to do 3 before cork city.

Anyone got any views on this. All opinions welcome.

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Sure I'll see how I'm feeling when the time comes to do them ;) For DCM I did 3 x 20m and 1 x 18m and the 3/4 marathon in Athlone

I'm keeping mine for Sunday....sorry :o
    upthe19th wrote: »

I think 3 x 20m is a good plan. You have plenty of time between now and Cork to get them done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tomred1N wrote: »
    I did follow ur winter plan even though ur a dub and it was very good !!!

Can't believe I missed this in all the commotion.
    Can I just point out that I bloody am not :mad: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

All being well I'll do 3...I kind of enjoy that distance in a strangely perverse way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ii think P&D calls for 3, I might stretch one of those to 21/22 just for the confidence boost.

Here's an interesting thread by more experienced runners debating marathon plans and the relative merits of how many and how far the lsr's should be
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72532515

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I did 2 x 20 last year and I feel it wasn't enough. Definitely going to include a 22 miler in training this year too as on both my marathon attempts so far I fatigued at mile 20. I know there is a lot more to it than that but I think at least 2 x 20 plus 1 x 22 would help with the endurance issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck to anyone on here doing the MSB 5K tomorrow in Dublin. I'd say it'll be a great atmosphere too. A lot of visitors around Dublin today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone on here doing the MSB 5K tomorrow in Dublin. I'd say it'll be a great atmosphere too. A lot of visitors around Dublin today.
    Good luck in balbriggan... Pb all the way

11 miles on the way home from work today along the grand canal. That dead horse I spotted at the start of the week is still in place. In fairness he's in an inaccessible spot but still hopefully he'll be moved soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Probably a matter for the council now - the SPCA can't do much to help the poor thing.

Well I'm sure I'm not the only person who has reported it so I guess it's in hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Have agreed to do a charity 11k run over an extremely hilly route this afternoon! It has an altitude of 980ft! Eek!! Therefore no intention of racing it! So plan I to leave from a little village called quigleys point n run to greencastle which will b just over 10 miles n then a bus taking people to kinnago to run from there to greencastle, so that will b my 17 - 18 mile LSR done! Not ideal but not fair on my 3 kids to go out running tomoro again, we will go to saint Patrick's day parade in moville like always! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Glorious day for a run.

Marlay parkrun done. New PB by 40secs

I still measure in miles...

Mile 1 - 8.16/157bpm
    Mile 2 - 8.22/169bpm
    Mile 3 - 7.33/171bpm
    .1 - (39secs/175bpm)

Total:24.49
    Avg: 8.01/165bpm

Glorious day for a run.

Mile 1 - 8.16/157bpm
    Mile 2 - 8.22/169bpm
    Mile 3 - 7.33/171bpm
    .1 - (39secs/175bpm)

Well done Killian u doing great!

Glorious day for a run.

Mile 1 - 8.16/157bpm
    Mile 2 - 8.22/169bpm
    Mile 3 - 7.33/171bpm
    .1 - (39secs/175bpm)

That's some nice work there killian and a very tasty 3rd mile. Well done man. Ur flyin it.

Run went grand today thankfully! A running mate decided to join me so the company on the 10+ miles was great n chatted away so miles ticked by. Though she was bit late coming so we started later than planned which resulted in just about making it in time to get bus to the starting point. Cudnt believe it actually started down at the very beach which for anyone who's ever been to kinnago will know its a very steep climb up even onto the road! Huge incline for approx 3 miles I'd say n then long steep decline n levelling out for last couple miles. Was delighted to finish strong n overall was fine tbh, after getting to top of hill lol! Don't really know what time I did n it wasn't an issue anyway but know last 4 mile splits were 7.41, 7.22, 7.28, 7.33 so I happy with that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I did the Marlay Parkrun today too. (Great running Killian, if I'd have seen you I'd have said hello, at the speed you were running though you were a speck on my horizon)

I have a bit of a phobia of 5k's, I hate them. :( I have a big issue with speed and lack thereof. I've decided it's time to try and address this and do the club speedwork sessions and run the parkrun on a regular basis.

So for today splits were

9.45 :eek:

Went off far to fast and faded badly towards the end of mile one. Died a horrible death for the second mile which included the uphill section and recovered on the last mile which was more or less downhill/flat.
    So best I can say is it's a starting point from which to improve.

I haven't run that many races and find pacing hard to judge. I also think that when it comes to trying to run at a faster pace I don't put myself in enough discomfort.
    Has anyone any tips for how to figure out what pace I'm capable of over 3 miles. I think I get nervous that if I go faster I won't be able to finish. I have asthma and sometimes I think this is a negative factor when trying to speed things up.

I think distance running is definitely more my thing but I want to do some decent half marathon times this year so I need to get some speed in the legs.
    Any advice from you speedsters greatly received :)

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I did the Marlay Parkrun today too. (Great running Killian, if I'd have seen you I'd have said hello, at the speed you were running though you were a speck on my horizon)

I have a bit of a phobia of 5k's, I hate them. :( I have a big issue with speed and lack thereof. I've decided it's time to try and address this and do the club speedwork sessions and run the parkrun on a regular basis.

So for today splits were

Went off far to fast and faded badly towards the end of mile one. Died a horrible death for the second mile which included the uphill section and recovered on the last mile which was more or less downhill/flat.

I haven't run that many races and find pacing hard to judge. I also think that when it comes to trying to run at a faster pace I don't put myself in enough discomfort.
    Has anyone any tips for how to figure out what pace I'm capable of over 3 miles. I think I get nervous that if I go faster I won't be able to finish. I have asthma and sometimes I think this is a negative factor when trying to speed things up.

I think distance running is definitely more my thing but I want to do some decent half marathon times this year so I need to get some speed in the legs.

Still good running deedee and you followed that 2nd mile with one that was faster than the first...that's good work in any language.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

So for today splits were

Hi Deedee one if the things I've found that has help with my speed is changing the display on my watch. When I'm racing all the display shows is pace,hr and distance. Since I've done this my times have improved. Part of this is that I've no idea what time I'm getting as I run I just follow a decided pace and hr. If the hr is too low I know I can push on harder. I've found that dealing with discomfort is the key to fast running. After today's run you know what level you can deal with. Next time you try push that discomfort a little more. The previous level doesn't feel so bad as you get used to it. As this happens you suddenly realise that with each discomfort level you get that little bit faster.

Hi Deedee one if the things I've found that has help with my speed is changing the display on my watch. When I'm racing all the display shows is pace,hr and distance. Since I've done this my times have improved. Part of this is that I've no idea what time I'm getting as I run I just follow a decided pace and hr. If the hr is too low I know I can push on harder. I've found that dealing with discomfort is the key to fast running. After today's run you know what level you can deal with. Next time you try push that discomfort a little more. The previous level doesn't feel so bad as you get used to it. As this happens you suddenly realise that with each discomfort level you get that little bit faster.

Fair point there Dave. Thanks for that. Might try that myself. I find that if i speed up on a short, quick run and then look at the watch i immediately feel like slowing up thinking the pace is out of my league, rather than realising that i am doing it and capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Fair point there Dave. Thanks for that. Might try that myself. I find that if i speed up on a short, quick run and then look at the watch i immediately feel like slowing up thinking the pace is out of my league, rather than realising that i am doing it and capable.

Thanks upthe19th and Dave. ^^^ this is exactly what happens to me, I see my pace and think I can't run at this speed and slow down. Just inching up the discomfort level each time sounds like a plan

• Advertisement

So for today splits were

Well done deedee , ur last mile was the quickest so well done on that! IMO for what it's worth I think some people more suited to short speedy distances n others more endurance! I know I struggle big time with 5ks n find them so so tough, I feel I'm going to die n think I've done about 6 now n must have said a dozen times " why am I doing this n if I get 1 finished ill never do another!!" However I didn't once say that during my 2 half marathons nor during DCM ! A good friend of mine with whom I run a lot with is complete opposite . She's fantastic at them n on hills etc but struggles in the halfs n big time during DCM. I cudnt touch her on 5ks but have beaten her in the half marathon n DCM , so my theory is I'm more suited to slightly slower paces n endurance. Cud b wrong but that my theory!

Advertisement