Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hi Deedee one if the things I've found that has help with my speed is changing the display on my watch. When I'm racing all the display shows is pace,hr and distance. Since I've done this my times have improved. Part of this is that I've no idea what time I'm getting as I run I just follow a decided pace and hr. If the hr is too low I know I can push on harder. I've found that dealing with discomfort is the key to fast running. After today's run you know what level you can deal with. Next time you try push that discomfort a little more. The previous level doesn't feel so bad as you get used to it. As this happens you suddenly realise that with each discomfort level you get that little bit faster.

These are the only things I have displayed on my watch also. I know what pace I should be doing and I know what hr I can run to. I don't see the point in having total time showing tbh, it's irrelevant once you know what your min average pace should be

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Thanks upthe19th and Dave. ^^^ this is exactly what happens to me, I see my pace and think I can't run at this speed and slow down. Just inching up the discomfort level each time sounds like a plan

Even try breaking down the distance. Say for a 5km aim for the 2 of the 3 miles at a pace you know you can handle and up the pace for the other mile. One of the benefits I see of parkrun is that you'll get to know the course, know where the hills are and know where the good stretches are (like in Marlay the stretch after the hill). once you know the course you know where you can push yourself on the course. So if you find you've upped the pace for the last mile in Marlay and you survived, next time try that new pace for a longer duration and build up to holding the pace for the whole course. Once you start doing this you'll find your times dropping quickly.

This is how I race most races. Last week I ran the Marlay parkrun in 20:55 on tired legs and with a head cold and struggled home. I took that discomfort level and parked it to one side as a 'new baseline' and said next time I know I can beat that and 'suffer' more. Today I ran the MSB 5k in 20:15 (Chip time). While the discomfort level was much higher I view it relative to last weeks 'new baseline'. It was only 1 maybe 2 steps up but I knew at worse I could push a little more than last week because of how I view the levels. Admittedly I also judge this on other factors such as how I'm feeling and how rested I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good one DeeDee - after getting a base last week, I set about working on a fast average this week. My garmin allows me to set a required pace & then tells me if I'm ahead or behind (with two little running men, one me & one my desired pace!)

I set it for 8.15mim miles & was behind by 20secs after the hill but I knew the 2nd half was fast & that I have a bit of a kick to finish so I was happy.

I also have a mental block about speed, I still don't understand the 'run slow' way of training but I do it anyway. But I've learned (through intervals & races like today) that actually, I can go faster than I really ever knew and if I wanted to run a 7.15 or 7.30 I could.

As Dave said above, you need to push yourself & I think you'd be surprised what results you will get.

Give it a lash, you really have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

rasher_m wrote: »

Thats interesting, I'll have a look at both over the weekend, cheers Murph.
    Have you got an app or watch yourself?

Yes, have garmin watch myself. I upload to garmin connect and Endomondo for analysis. Think I have same one you got. I like it mainly because you can set it up to display large numbers so I don't need glasses to see it, like some of the lesser watches. Trouble with heart monitor though, which seems to have gone kaput. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

murphd77 wrote: »
    Yes, have garmin watch myself. I upload to garmin connect and Endomondo for analysis. Think I have same one you got. I like it mainly because you can set it up to display large numbers so I do t need glasses to see it, line some of the lesser watches. Trouble with heart monitor though, which seems to have gone kaput. Enjoy!

Yeah, I've heard the heart rate monitor and the Bezel can be a bit hairy alright.
    Well looks like I'll have to get out tomorrow for the run.
    I went to bed at 7.30 last night and all set to get an early run in this morning. I slept through till 11.30 this morning so missed the person I was to run with.
    Only got out for a short one as I had other stuff on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm already concerned about how heavy the taper seems in P&D and personally think I'll adjust it down a bit also.
    ncmc wrote: »
    I think I'm going to cut a few miles from the taper too Runchick, it seems very heavy on miles, I'd imagine being tired at the start line if I follow it.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days and i think the P&D taper will actually benefit you long term. Ye will have done many 50+ mileage weeks at that stage that a 40 mile week will feel like nothing. It is certainly how I feel about 40mile weeks at this stage of the plan anyway!

While yes, you might not be as fresh at the start line as you could be, come the 20 mile mark, running on tired legs, the decent mileage in the taper will stand to you both. I know docjewel has mentioned this in the past and I've seen it on Krustys log also.

Just my thoughts anyway on it!

Edit: So much for me going to bed early!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Glorious day for a run.

Marlay parkrun done. New PB by 40secs

I still measure in miles...

Mile 1 - 8.16/157bpm
    Mile 2 - 8.22/169bpm
    Mile 3 - 7.33/171bpm
    .1 - (39secs/175bpm)

Total:24.49
    Avg: 8.01/165bpm

Great run Killian. A sub-25m 5k is a big milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Glorious day for a run.

Marlay parkrun done. New PB by 40secs

I still measure in miles...

Mile 1 - 8.16/157bpm
    Mile 2 - 8.22/169bpm
    Mile 3 - 7.33/171bpm
    .1 - (39secs/175bpm)

Total:24.49
    Avg: 8.01/165bpm

Well done Killian, you're flying now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Well done Killian, you're flying now :)

Ta, how you feeling? don't rush back you don't want to screw things up really bad.

New runner wrote: »
    Well done deedee , ur last mile was the quickest so well done on that! IMO for what it's worth I think some people more suited to short speedy distances n others more endurance! I know I struggle big time with 5ks n find them so so tough, I feel I'm going to die n think I've done about 6 now n must have said a dozen times " why am I doing this n if I get 1 finished ill never do another!!" However I didn't once say that during my 2 half marathons nor during DCM ! A good friend of mine with whom I run a lot with is complete opposite . She's fantastic at them n on hills etc but struggles in the halfs n big time during DCM. I cudnt touch her on 5ks but have beaten her in the half marathon n DCM , so my theory is I'm more suited to slightly slower paces n endurance. Cud b wrong but that my theory!

This is exactly how I feel about speed, give me a 20 mile LSR over a 5km race any day :) I like this theory - that I'm made for endurance rather than just being a slow poke :p

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    These are the only things I have displayed on my watch also. I know what pace I should be doing and I know what hr I can run to. I don't see the point in having total time showing tbh, it's irrelevant once you know what your min average pace should be

Cheers Gavlor, such a simple thing but I had never thought of it. Did this this morning and it makes such a difference :)

blockic wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this the last couple of days and i think the P&D taper will actually benefit you long term. Ye will have done many 50+ mileage weeks at that stage that a 40 mile week will feel like nothing. It is certainly how I feel about 40mile weeks at this stage of the plan anyway!

While yes, you might not be as fresh at the start line as you could be, come the 20 mile mark, running on tired legs, the decent mileage in the taper will stand to you both. I know docjewel has mentioned this in the past and I've seen it on Krustys log also.

Just my thoughts anyway on it!

Edit: So much for me going to bed early!!

Definitely food for thought Blockic, sure you can be the guinea pig in Rotterdam and let us know if it works or not :p:p

Ta, how you feeling? don't rush back you don't want to screw things up really bad.

I'm feeling so much better thanks Killian, kids had same thing and it took 10 days to run its course so I'm hoping I can bounce the way they did :) First run this morning, planned 6 easy miles with the dog - but she got spooked by another dog and legged it home - I didn't know that's where she was so spent a few panicked miles looking for her - anyway ran home, found her there, and went back to finish the run in peace :p Ended up doing 9.5 miles but kept HR nice and low and really enjoyed it, god I'm addicted to running, so glad to be back...bet you're sorry you asked now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

After a sleepless night on Friday due to an ill child I failed to get out for my planned 11mile run yesterday.
    Roll on last night,my little man slept a bit better but was still a broken nights sleep.
    Managed to get on the road for 7:35 & went but thankfully decided to bring gloves & hat,it was a frosty start to the morning but what a morning for a run.
    I ran over quite a hilly route this morning,probably abit too hilly for the LSR,didn't meet a car for the first 13miles of the run.It was an enjoyable enough run but found the going tough from 17miles on,I had also run out of water at this stage which probably didn't help mentally over the last few miles.
    While I struggled over the last few miles I took inspiration from Killian & DeeDee's runs yesterday where they both ran faster last miles so imagined myself runnning alongside them & didn't want to let the side down & managed a last mile split of 7:55

Total distance today of 21.64 miles with an average pace of 9:32

**Note to blockic or PM,I think in my tiredness after the run I may have opened a new sheet accidentally on the tracker sheet :-[ **

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

docjewel wrote: »
    After a sleepless night on Friday due to an ill child I failed to get out for my planned 11mile run yesterday.
    Roll on last night,my little man slept a bit better but was still a broken nights sleep.
    Managed to get on the road for 7:35 & went but thankfully decided to bring gloves & hat,it was a frosty start to the morning but what a morning for a run.
    I ran over quite a hilly route this morning,probably abit too hilly for the LSR,didn't meet a car for the first 13miles of the run.It was an enjoyable enough run but found the going tough from 17miles on,I had also run out of water at this stage which probably didn't help mentally over the last few miles.
    While I struggled over the last few miles I took inspiration from Killian & DeeDee's runs yesterday where they both ran faster last miles so imagined myself runnning alongside them & didn't want to let the side down & managed a last mile split of 7:55

Total distance today of 21.64 miles with an average pace of 9:32

**Note to blockic or PM,I think in my tiredness after the run I may have opened a new sheet accidentally on the tracker sheet :-[ **

No worries !

I am currently stuck in the arse end of kilcock waiting for a father ted style Patrick's day parade :D will sort out the sheet later !

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

No worries !

I am currently stuck in the arse end of kilcock waiting for a father ted style Patrick's day parade :D will sort out the sheet later !

Know the feeling,I'm currently in Cappoquin at one & apparently we're heading to another in Dungarvan ,do the kids not realise daddy is struggling after this morning & just wants to go for a sleep,no sympathy off Mrs docjewel either but then that's probably revenge for getting up early(in her books anyway) this morning,think I'll have to have a good date with the foam roller later :-D

docjewel wrote: »

Know the feeling,I'm currently in Cappoquin at one & apparently we're heading to another in Dungarvan ,do the kids not realise daddy is struggling after this morning & just wants to go for a sleep,no sympathy off Mrs docjewel either but then that's probably revenge for getting up early(in her books anyway) this morning,think I'll have to have a good date with the foam roller later :-D

Highlights here included a 40ft super valu truck and a bin lorry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Highlights here included a 40ft super valu truck and a bin lorry. :)

Well highlights of ours included a tractor (but I think he may have just being going about his business and got caught up in all the excitement!)

Sheet is done for the next 2 weeks (just in case I get caught up with the new baby next week and miss putting the next weeks together) Just be careful you don't jump to the end and fill in the wrong sheet !

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

ncmc wrote: »

Well highlights of ours included a tractor (but I think he may have just being going about his business and got caught up in all the excitement!)
    1 tractor! We had at least 6!!!! And quite a few lorries! In fairness we had some good floats too so wasn't too bad really! So cold standing about though n although went for 4.3m recovery run at 7.30 this morn my legs v sore this eve.after my 17m yesterday. DOMS! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

New PB today in Balbriggan AHM....That's not a typo (Almost half marathon)

See race report here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83711286#post83711286

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

A snowy sleety rainy last long lsr for me today before Paris. Pleased to have managed 21 miles as it makes the full distance seem doable...although getting round at my intended pace may be another matter... I'm wrecked tonight :)

Like Runchick and Ncmc I'm concerned about the distances involved with the P&D taper, I reckon I'll be cautious and run a good few miles less than the recommended distances for the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

coalshed wrote: »
    A snowy sleety rainy last long lsr for me today before Paris. Pleased to have managed 21 miles as it makes the full distance seem doable...although getting round at my intended pace may be another matter... I'm wrecked tonight :)

Like Runchick and Ncmc I'm concerned about the distances involved with the P&D taper, I reckon I'll be cautious and run a good few miles less than the recommended distances for the next few weeks.

3 weeks away today, are you gonna make a holiday out of it with the whole family?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Not this time, I think the kids are a bit young to be bringing around Paris. I'd love to have everyone around but it'll have to wait I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Great LSR'ing everyone - was strange not to be out yesterday morning. Nice in a way to have a break but would be better if it weren't enforced. Hopefully not for too long.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Great LSR'ing everyone - was strange not to be out yesterday morning. Nice in a way to have a break but would be better if it weren't enforced. Hopefully not for too long.

What's up Dilbert, you aren't injured are you?

What's up Dilbert, you aren't injured are you?

Tweaked my Achilles on Friday night so pulled up and skipped my Sat 8k and LSR.

It seems like my calf muscles were like piano wires and very knotty, despite stretching them every night, so foam rolling for the last two days has made a big difference (touch wood). Just back from a spin on the bike and it feels grand. Should know for definite this afternoon when I give running a try...

It seems like my calf muscles were like piano wires and very knotty, despite stretching them every night, so foam rolling for the last two days has made a big difference (touch wood). Just back from a spin on the bike and it feels grand. Should know for definite this afternoon when I give running a try...

Nightmare :( Sounds like a wise call to rest up over the weekend and get it sorted. Best of luck with the run today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Aw hope it ok n good luck with ur run today!

• Advertisement

New runner wrote: »
    Aw hope it ok n good luck with ur run today!
    Thanks NR - run was actually moderately successful! 7.5km done with a slight twinge but off again to foam roll & salt bath and see where that brings me.

Advertisement