Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Congratulations PM . He is gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Runchick wrote: »
    I'll be in Omagh too guys, good to know there'll be a few other boardies there :) What kind of time are you guys hoping for? Haven't even thought about the course profile yet, hopefully as you describe Murph and not too hilly :eek:

Aiming for 1:50 myself so I might well bump into you, runchick. Might wear the Boards top unless the weather is more suited to long sleeves but I will keep an eye out for the two of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Weetabix wrote: »
    Distance|PB 31/12/12|2013 Aim|Current PB
    5K | 23:47 | 22:xx | 23:47
    5M | 50:54 | 39:xx | 39:38
    10K | 54:31 | 49:xx | 54:31
    10M | 93:11 | 89:xx | 86:40
    13.1M | 2:01:53 | 1:59:xx | 2:01:53
    26.2M | 4:39:04 | 4:14:xx | 4:39:01

2 down, 4 to go although slightly disappointed with the Mallow 10 mile result yesterday, really thought I could get under 85 mins after going sub 40 in Raheny but ran out of steam with a couple of miles to go, still a PB by almost 7 mins from last years race series so happy to see fairly good progress.

Hi Weetabix,
    Well done on the PB. I wonder are you selling yourself a bit short though. Your 5k and 5m times suggest you can be faster over the longer distances if you train specifically for them. You should be well capable of a sub-4 marathon, for instance, if you do the miles (and run slow on the LSRs!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Congrats Mrs & Mr PM! Now you get to find out what exhaustion is!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

About to head off to run 800's with the club in the damp,freezing cold. I'm not feeling the love for running in this weather. Please tell me all this running in sh1te weather is going to stand to me later in the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    About to head off to run 800's with the club in the damp,freezing cold. I'm not feeling the love for running in this weather. Please tell me all this running in sh1te weather is going to stand to me later in the year
    It definitely will........you will be the Lara Croft of running

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1zhDoETJs63ZxHnr51PML3HU7b-XcSTDtrCdYGaP_Ux48S4b6cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

murphd77 wrote: »

Hi Weetabix,
    Well done on the PB. I wonder are you selling yourself a bit short though. Your 5k and 5m times suggest you can be faster over the longer distances if you train specifically for them. You should be well capable of a sub-4 marathon, for instance, if you do the miles (and run slow on the LSRs!).

The targets listed were set at the begining of the year and i know some of them are soft, eg i was looking for sub 85 at the weekend. I hope to run a 1/2 in the next few weeks and will prob target sub 1.55 but as for the full i would love to go sub 4 for DCM 13 but will see how the training goes first and maybe reset the target in september / october!!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

It definitely will........you will be the Lara Croft of running

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1zhDoETJs63ZxHnr51PML3HU7b-XcSTDtrCdYGaP_Ux48S4b6cg

Thanks CM, she looks exactly like me how did you know? Great session done we did 10x400's in the end. When the going got tough I channeled my inner Lara Croft :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks CM, she looks exactly like me how did you know? Great session done we did 10x400's in the end. When the going got tough I channeled my inner Lara Croft :-)

Excellent well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Hey CM, can you get Lara Croft to pace me around the next race :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Think after this morning's effort I'm gonna give up the running and take up knitting or something :(

Plan this morning - 12 miles with 7 at HMP so 4 easy, 7 @ 8.30, 1 c/d. Opened the front door at 5.30am to find blizzard conditions and the ground 2 inches deep in slushy, snowy yuckiness. Should have headed back to bed at this stage but headed out anyway. Knew I was in trouble when I trudged through the first 4 miles at 10 min pace - but HR was at 9min effort. Ah well, HTFU I thought, and put the foot down to start the HMP miles. They were ridiculously hard, conditions were slippy and miserable. Managed 5 HMP miles before I decided to give up and head for home :( Splits were 8.22, 8.24, 8.40, 8.36, 8.40. I have never gave up on a run before and now feel like I'm not making any improvements. Maybe not fully recovered from sickness last week but feeling a lack of confidence all the same. Ah well, onwards and upwards I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Think after this morning's effort I'm gonna give up the running and take up knitting or something :(

Plan this morning - 12 miles with 7 at HMP so 4 easy, 7 @ 8.30, 1 c/d. Opened the front door at 5.30am to find blizzard conditions and the ground 2 inches deep in slushy, snowy yuckiness. Should have headed back to bed at this stage but headed out anyway. Knew I was in trouble when I trudged through the first 4 miles at 10 min pace - but HR was at 9min effort. Ah well, HTFU I thought, and put the foot down to start the HMP miles. They were ridiculously hard, conditions were slippy and miserable. Managed 5 HMP miles before I decided to give up and head for home :( Splits were 8.22, 8.24, 8.40, 8.36, 8.40. I have never gave up on a run before and now feel like I'm not making any improvements. Maybe not fully recovered from sickness last week but feeling a lack of confidence all the same. Ah well, onwards and upwards I suppose...
    Still a great run completed. Not much difference in what you planned vs what you did. Especially with the conditions! Fair play going out at that time for a hard run. And it takes a while to feel 100% after sickness, chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Never under estimate the effect the conditions have on your run. Slippy under foot means you are using a lot more energy and not running freely / comfortably. That's a great run all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

@ PM huge congratulations to you and your family. He's a looker! Will you be investing in a sling or a jogging buggy?

Buggy all the way - great excuse for my pace !

Buggy all the way - great excuse for my pace !
    Hey congrats pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Still a great run completed. Not much difference in what you planned vs what you did. Especially with the conditions! Fair play going out at that time for a hard run. And it takes a while to feel 100% after sickness, chin up!
    Never under estimate the effect the conditions have on your run. Slippy under foot means you are using a lot more energy and not running freely / comfortably. That's a great run all things considered.

+1 there, lets say If I was out at 5:30am running (never gonna happen but anyway! :P), there is no possibility whatsoever that I would be able to run at HMP for 1 mile, never mind 5 and in that weather!! :eek:

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, the time of the morning and the terrible conditions. It is a solid session RC when you consider all these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You had 9 miles done, in the snow, before I woke up.

Crisis? What crisis?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

That's an amazing run considering the weather. In those conditions it would be much harder to hold hmp than normal. Effort wise you were probably closer to 10k pace than hmp.

I think meno mentioned here a while ago that in tough conditions its better to ignore the pace and run on what feels like hmp effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

+1 to what all the others are saying, that is a great run! Even taking away the time of morning and conditions, you still managed to pretty much complete the session you were planning (what’s two little miles between friends!) You should be patting yourself on the back, not beating yourself up about it.

One of the reasons I don’t run in the morning (other than being a lazy mare) is that I always find I am incredibly slow yet still using a lot of effort. Don’t know if it’s down to my body not being fully awake yet or not having breakfast, but I never enjoy or perform well in morning runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Firstly congrats PM on the arrival - though I think those timing bands are supposed to go through his laces not around his ankles.

Runchick - That's a pretty solid session - we all suffer a crisis of confidence at some stage, I have them every second week! you got out & ran that will always stand to you.

I'm trying to differentiate between running for fun / training to run / training to race at the moment - everything seems to be about 'the plan' and ultimately the goal (sub4 / DCM / lose weight whatever) there is so many things going around my mind that running is taking over. I think its important I (we?) learn that we run for fun ultimately, we're not going to win a race (most of us anyway) but it is supposed to be fun trying to.

• Advertisement

Firstly congrats PM on the arrival - though I think those timing bands are supposed to go through his laces not around his ankles.

Runchick - That's a pretty solid session - we all suffer a crisis of confidence at some stage, I have them every second week! you got out & ran that will always stand to you.

I'm trying to differentiate between running for fun / training to run / training to race at the moment - everything seems to be about 'the plan' and ultimately the goal (sub4 / DCM / lose weight whatever) there is so many things going around my mind that running is taking over. I think its important I (we?) learn that we run for fun ultimately, we're not going to win a race (most of us anyway) but it is supposed to be fun trying to.
    This is a really good point Killian, I am finding that a bit at the moment, everything is about ‘the plan’ and I can honestly say that I am only really enjoying the occasional run. Most of the time, it feels like a bit of a chore at the moment. I think I have got obsessed about hitting a certain time, whereas with Dublin, the main goal was to finish and a good time was secondary. Also, the plan this time is much more daunting, 12 miles on a cold March evening after a days work is hard to get enthusiastic about! This is one of the reasons why I decided to only run one marathon this year, I am actually really looking forward to post Cork running when I can just go out when I want and for as long as I want.

Anyone any advice on how to get back the love of running!

ncmc wrote: »
    This is a really good point Killian, I am finding that a bit at the moment, everything is about ‘the plan’ and I can honestly say that I am only really enjoying the occasional run. Most of the time, it feels like a bit of a chore at the moment. I think I have got obsessed about hitting a certain time, whereas with Dublin, the main goal was to finish and a good time was secondary. Also, the plan this time is much more daunting, 12 miles on a cold March evening after a days work is hard to get enthusiastic about! This is one of the reasons why I decided to only run one marathon this year, I am actually really looking forward to post Cork running when I can just go out when I want and for as long as I want.

+1 having similar thoughts some days... I'd feel guilty if I don't hit my planned mileage & close to the plan. But I really want a good marathon time so it's worth it at the moment. I'm more thinking about whether I want to do it all again for DCM or next year etc. But I decided to just take it one step at a time. Go to Cork, go for broke, then chill in June go to a FESTIVAL & get F&^cked up and then back to the drawing board in July & decide then... was thinking too far ahead & that was the most daunting bit. I think the love will be there waiting for you when Cork is over... leave the garmin at home & enjoy a few sunny runs & you'lll start to know what's next for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Quit p&d and develop your own plan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Racing is always good for getting the love back (well at least when the race goes well)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Quit p&d and develop your own plan ;)
    Don’t tempt me! Although my plan would probably involve, only running 3 days a week, for no more than 5 miles and only when the weather is nice or there’s nothing on the telly :pac:

Thanks for all the great replies guys, some great points made. I suppose my problem this morning was the lack of 'fun'. I get fun out of a run by the sense of achievement from doing what I set out to do - even when I'm trudging through bad weather at the crack of dawn ;). You know that great feeling when you get through a hard session, the buzz, endorphins, etc...that's why I run. This morning I let the 'I can't do this' thoughts win and gave up - new territory and definitely took all the fun out of it.

I really don't mind following a plan - I like the structure and am far too lazy to come up with my own :eek: but agree about needing to find balance and also look forward to unstructured running post marathon.

And I probably need my own training log so I can ramble on about my running woes without always hijacking this thread :o...have just started reading some of yours and find them really interesting. Oh and I need to get a life...someone recently told me there's more to life than running...surely they've got it wrong :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks for all the great replies guys, some great points made. I suppose my problem this morning was the lack of 'fun'. I get fun out of a run by the sense of achievement from doing what I set out to do - even when I'm trudging through bad weather at the crack of dawn ;). You know that great feeling when you get through a hard session, the buzz, endorphins, etc...that's why I run. This morning I let the 'I can't do this' thoughts win and gave up - new territory and definitely took all the fun out of it.

I really don't mind following a plan - I like the structure and am far too lazy to come up with my own :eek: but agree about needing to find balance and also look forward to unstructured running post marathon.

And I probably need my own training log so I can ramble on about my running woes without always hijacking this thread :o...have just started reading some of yours and find them really interesting. Oh and I need to get a life...someone recently told me there's more to life than running...surely they've got it wrong :P

Do you do all your runs in the Mornings?
    I find I can do easy and recovery runs in the morning but could never do anything fast without having been up, breakfasted etc a few hours beforehand. My HMP would be 6:30/mile but I don't think I have ever broken 8:30/mile on my weekly run into work :(.

I would advise maybe rescheduling harder runs like this mornings for the midmornings/afternoons/evenings. Would that be possible?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you do all your runs in the Mornings?
    I find I can do easy and recovery runs in the morning but could never do anything fast without having been up, breakfasted etc a few hours beforehand. My HMP would be 6:30/mile but I don't think I have ever broken 8:30/mile on my weekly run into work :(.

I would advise maybe rescheduling harder runs like this mornings for the midmornings/afternoons/evenings. Would that be possible?

Everything except LSR is done first thing. Its usually the only time I can get out and hasn't been a problem energy wise until now. I take your point though, might try to get out in the evenings for the harder sessions when I can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I've been the same recently. I think if you tend to be running alone in the dark and rain and doing longish distances during the week - as many of us have - you'd be doing well to not think it's bull**** every once in a while :)

I agree with Meno that a good race result can make it all seem worthwhile - you might achieve a pb or just really enjoy the occasion but it seems like the work has been justified. For me all this running without the odd race would be like studying without sitting the exam...and I feel like I've put in a lot of study of late!

I'm also anticipating that all this winter running will bear fruit for all of us in the spring and summer when we have the basic fitness in place to do runs and shorter distance races 'for fun' - I'd love to try my hand at some trail running or maybe an adventure race and I'll be delighted if my winter running has given me the 'fitness passport' to do these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Unlike the weather in Runchick's part of the country,an absolutely glorious morning down here for running,a slight breeze but the sun was shining.Short sleeve top & shorts,no need for hat & gloves or compression tops.
    14.25 miles ran at an average pace of 8:31.A bit faster than planned but once in the groove it is kinda hard to slow down.

RE: P&D

I see a few here & on their own threads questioning themselves re P&D.

I think one of the issues with P&D with the higher mileage is actually the time commitment that is needed to follow the very structured plan especially compared to the HH novice plans that most followed last year.
    Of course the weather,dark mornings & evenings over the last few months really hasn't been of any encouragement to get out there & run
    Even to do, for most of us, say a 13 mile run we're talking circa 2 hours or so but that doesn't include time getting ready,changed & showered afterwards so a 2 hour run has suddenly taken up 2 1/2 hours of your day,Now if your working or a stay at home parent or to be fair anyone in a relationship it is a lot of time to be giving up & probably plays a bit of havoc with meal times etc as well.
    Also the higher mileage can become a bit mundane,I was experiencing a bit of this myself but I hate to say this as I would have been against headphones while running but for some of my recent long runs(not all runs) I have started wearing headphones again(for me its listening to podcast's as regards my sons autism so its killing 2 birds with the one stone for me) & it has just freshened things up a little as has trying to do some new routes even if they are a little more challenging than required.

As regards the amount of 20mile runs in P&D I think the theory behind this is to get your body used to the idea of 3/4/5 hours on your feet so that on the big day your body will not hit the infamous wall but if your like Dilbert or Gavlor & have your own plan & are confident in it & have the natural ability you should stick with it.

The taper on paper looks high but as you get closer to marathon week but in reality it lessens every week from 3 weeks out but while many will cut down the mileage a little more the important part is to keep the intensity up for the taper period.

For most of us here we are only heading into only our 2nd or 3rd marathon & to be honest we are still gonna make mistakes but we're lucky to have this forum here so we can learn from each others experience & garner support when the need arises.

Also most of us here train on our own which according to some club members I have spoken to think this is quite a hard thing to do especially regards the longer distances for marathon training but I know for me I'm gonna try & slot in a few local races(one is a fun 10k run for Crumlin & a 6 mile race that has a 600 odd ft climb over the last 3 miles or so:D,makes the end of Ballycotton a lot easier ncmc!!!) as meno has already suggested,I probably won't be going all out in these races but it will be good to run in numbers & fall in with others of a similar pace.

What ever plan you're following,have faith in it & stick with it as best you can & the results will follow.

Advertisement