Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRFU Accreditation - Anyone got any info?

• 03-11-2012 6:45pm

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone here has accreditation with the IRFU and could shed any light on the process at all?

Looking at the website, and I can see an online form, but not sure if it might be best to give them a quick ring before filling in/submitting the form?

Anyone got any idea of the workings of these guys or the quickest/easiest way of doing things?

(As an aside, on the form it requires a 'photo' attachment. Presumably this means a photo of the photographer (and not a sample of their work)?)

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Photo required is a photo of the photographer, which is on your accreditation ID.

Everyone must complete the online accreditation request, and follow the process. Accreditation for the game next weekend is closed and approvals (or rejections) have been sent out. Not sure how much good a phonecall will do, but they are nice to deal with. Very professional.

The IRFU are very strict and getting access is not easy, even for those who shoot a lot of rugby and even those of us who supply to recognised agencies.

Cheers, Paul. I thought the photo would be of the photographer alright, but someone beside me here said "oh, do they want to see your work?" which just kind of threw me off a bit.

Great to hear they're a professional organisation to deal with. Do all of their games occur within the Aviva, out of curiousity (I'm not the biggest sports fan in the world, if I'm honest).

At least now I know what way the form works I can send that on to them, anyway. I doubt they'll look at it until Monday, but sure may aswell fill it in, anyway.

EDIT: Is that a normal photo, or does it have to be a passport photo?

Passport type photo. It's for your ID/accreditation.

The senior team games are always in the Aviva stadium.
    'A' games can be in Donnybrook, Galway or other such venue.
    Women's games are usually Ashbourne.
    U17 games are normally Athlone (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Paulw wrote: »

Thomond Park 17th Oct ;)

kensutz wrote: »
    Thomond Park 17th Oct ;)

You mean 17th Nov, and that's a select 15, rather than the senior team. :D

• Advertisement

You mean 17th Nov, and that's a select 15, rather than the senior team. :D

Damn cold gone to my brain after the game today. Yeah November ;) Under 17s and some other underage rep games can be held in Coolmine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Athlone is the home of the u20 games.

Passport type photo. It's for your ID/accreditation.

'A' games can be in Donnybrook, Galway or other such venue.
    Women's games are usually Ashbourne.
    U17 games are normally Athlone (I think).

Thanks for the information, Paul. Very much appreciated :)

I take it you obviously have accreditation with them, then?

Yeah, I've been approved for the game next weekend. You only get accreditation game by game.

It's never certain that you will be approved for the next game.

So can I ask, is everyone that applies approved and gets a card, and then you just get put on a list and hope that enough people cancel for you to get a chance to get in?

What I mean is, if I send off that form, will they say no, or will they just automatically send me out a card, add my name to the bottom of a list, and when contacting people for the next game, if I'm underneath you, and you say you can't make it, they ring me?

Or are you given priority based on who you're covering for/distributing to?

• Advertisement

Yes, there is a priority list - agency basis, papers, etc all the way down to freelance (bottom of the pile).

You apply, and if you are approved, you collect your pass (with photo on it) a few days before the game. Each pass is unique for each game. It's not an ID pass, it's kinda like a ticket, but has your name, agency and photo on it.

There is a "standby" list, but you need to do a lot of chasing to get in.

Or are you given priority based on who you're covering for/distributing to?

It's done on priority and tighter this year than previous due to people getting in the way of those working for agencies. It's agencies, newspaper publications, web publications, freeland in that order.

Cheers for the help, gentlemen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Demotix (now part of Corbis, apparently) sent out an email today about rugby coverage. The reply address is: Demotix <subeditors@demotix.com> I know it's not IRFU but it might be of interest to someone.
    ACCREDITATION FOR RUGBY FOOTBALL LEAGUE MATCHES, 2013

As some of you already know, I've been talking with the RFL press office and I was recently given the details to obtain accreditation for the Rugby League year, 2013. Europe has a monumental upcoming 3 years in Rugby with the 6 Nations 2013 and the World Cup 2015 in the UK so we'd like to get involved with the coverage.

I am looking for contributors with:

- Enthusiasm, and a keen interest in Rugby

-An eye for sports photojournalism (Rugby preferred, but not required)

- Reliability

- Good with tight deadlines (speed is essential)

- Fast, but consistently great photography

- An understanding in what the sports press look for

Reply to this campaign if you're interested and send me some links to your previous sports coverage.

I am also in talks with the RFU who are the hosts of Six Nations. The aim for the future is for the most consistent contributors with the best coverage to be covering the Six Nations, and within a few years, The World Cup, 2015.

Hope you're all well.
    Best,
    Rachael

Demotix (now part of Corbis, apparently) sent out an email today about rugby coverage. The reply address is: Demotix <subeditors@demotix.com> I know it's not IRFU but it might be of interest to someone.

That's targeted at the UK rather than Ireland even though there is 1 game over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

kensutz wrote: »
    That's targeted at the UK rather than Ireland even though there is 1 game over here.

Which is why I said, "I know it's not IRFU but it might be of interest to someone." :)

I doubt, from looking at their site, that Demotix would have much weight when applying for accreditation. They would probably list alongside freelancers, especially when dealing with the IRFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭davegilly

they are owned by corbis who are one of the largest picture agencies in the world so i think they would carry a little more power than a freelancer or any of the spec agencies in the uk.

Corbis would carry weight, Demotix wouldn't.

Advertisement