Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Le Creuset is it worth it ?

• 03-11-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Thinking of investing in some Le Creuset cookware is it worth the initial outlay . Everytime I watch a good cooking show they seem to be using Le Creuset ware . So foodies who uses them and are they worth it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i think so, i have some of there stuff for years now, its used daily and its still good and will have many more good years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yes and no.

Cast iron cookware is definitely worth it, but as a brand Le Creuset is expensive.

I have some non branded cast iron cookware (both enamelled and non enamelled) and I find them brilliant, a lifetime of use in them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Le Creuset are generally rock solid and come with life time guarantees.

They're usually worth it if you've the money to spend, if not there's plenty of other cast iron brands which can substitute nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Big Yes.
    Check out TK Maxx, they usually stock Le Creuset cookware, especially baking dishes. Great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

cookie75 wrote: »
    Thinking of investing in some Le Creuset cookware is it worth the initial outlay . Everytime I watch a good cooking show they seem to be using Le Creuset ware . So foodies who uses them and are they worth it!

According to my mother it is. She's had a casserole dish for the last 25 years. Still as good today as the day she got save for slight discoloration at the bottom. It might be expensive but is definitely worth the outlay. They are heavy though! She bought a non stick pan about 5 years ago and it still works perfectly.
    If you build it up bit by bit it wouldn't feel as expensive either!

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    She's had a casserole dish for the last 25 years.

I have one piece of unbranded cast iron cookware from my parents house that my mother had since she was married, and Ive had for 10 years or thereabouts, so its been in use for over 40 years now and still going strong!!

I love the enamelling colours of the Le Creuset, I didnt know Tk Maxx did it - must check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I have one piece of unbranded cast iron cookware from my parents house that my mother had since she was married, and Ive had for 10 years or thereabouts, so its been in use for over 40 years now and still going strong!!

I love the enamelling colours of the Le Creuset, I didnt know Tk Maxx did it - must check it out.

Try find an unbranded piece today that will last that long though is the trouble. At least with Le Creuset they've a reputation for quality that has being built up over the years. With an unbranded piece it could need to be replaced within a year.
    Of course though you could get very lucky.
    They also have an outlet in kildare Village! still bloody expensive though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TKMaxx can be great for Le Crueset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

They also have an outlet shop in Kildare Village probably about 20% of the regular prices,more in the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I absolutely love Le Crueset, it wears well and always holds its temperature and of course looks lovely. I've got a few casserole dishes which I use for all my one-pot dishes dependent on how many I cook for.

I agree with Stheno, I only discovered rceently that TK Maxx have an amazing range of stuff. Found a beautiful petrol coloured Le Crueset pitcher for €12 there recently..........:eek::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The Le Crueset casserole is the best thing you can get for your kitchen in my opinion, I've had mine about 8 years but I'd imagine it'll last forever, absolutely top class, I also have a few smaller dishes which are fine but not irreplacable.
    On a negative note I bought a La Crueset griddle pan and it was wrecked in a few months, i cook steak etc at the highest heat I can manage and thought that it would be able to do that for me but I burnt the crap out of the inside(enamel) of the griddle, dissapointing really.

On a negative note I bought a La Crueset griddle pan and it was wrecked in a few months, i cook steak etc at the highest heat I can manage and thought that it would be able to do that for me but I burnt the crap out of the inside(enamel) of the griddle, dissapointing really.

Thats not good, Ive been using an unbranded non enamelled cast iron griddle pan for 8+ years now and its in grand shape still - the wooden handle is gone a bit discoloured but thats it.

I would definitely have thought an enamelled pan would be able for that kind of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

It's an enamelled griddle pan? The help centre for Le Creuset warns against heating enamel to high heat.
    HEAT SETTINGS
    Medium and low heats will provide the best results for the majority of cooking, including frying and searing. Allow the pan to heat gradually and thoroughly, as this will give the most even and efficient cooking results. Once the pan is hot almost all cooking can be continued on lower settings.

High heats should only be used for boiling water for vegetables or pasta, or for reducing the consistency of stocks and sauces. High heats should never be used to pre-heat a pan before lowering the heat for cooking. Cast iron retains heat so well that if a pan is overheated in this way it will contribute to poor cooking results, sticking and discolouration of cooking surfaces. Non-stick surfaces are permanently damaged by this mis-use.

Match the pan base to the heat zone. Do this to maximise efficiency and prevent overheating of pan sides or damage to handles. Long handles should be positioned safely so that they do not overhang the front of your stovetop, or over other heat zones.

I have a large oval enamelled cast iron casserole that has now has a very large chip out of the enamel on the base of the pot. After reading of the life time guarantee on a previous post, I'll test that tomorrow and see what the people at Le Creuset say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It's this one http://www.lecreuset.ie/square-grillits-ie.aspx
    I realise now that I mistreated it but I had the mistaken impression that it would put up with all sorts of abuse, just a warning for those who like me think that spending a fortune will put an end to kitchen nightmares.
    As i said earlier the crueset casseroles are outstanding but I'll stick with Tefal for my frying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have a le creuset cast iron griddle pan that's double length, so in other words it'd go over two elements on the cooker. It's excellent. I'll still have it in 30 years. (Not the enamelled one!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have two Le Creuset pots 14 and 24cm that have huge chunks of enamel missing off the bottom, they are unusable now.
    I also have a 28cm frypan which is still in use but the handle has gone and the replacement is a crazy price.
    There are plenty of equivalent brands available now that are every bit as good if not better than LC stuff.
    I got some great stuff in France in one of the hypermarkets 'Invicta' brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The novelist Jeanette Winterson used to work as a prostitute in order to get the money to buy Le Creuset, so it must be at least half-decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭nc6000

I have a le creuset cast iron griddle pan that's double length, so in other words it'd go over two elements on the cooker. It's excellent. I'll still have it in 30 years. (Not the enamelled one!)

I have one of those too, how do you clean yours? Mine has loads of black gunk stuck between the griddles.

We also have quite a few pots, pans, baking dishes and ramekins. They are excellent and worth every cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Here's a good way to keep the carbon build up to a minimum without using a lot of chemicals. Wash the pan after cooking with plenty of hot water. Place on the hob to dry and fill the pan with enough course salt to cover the base. The salt will pick up the black bits that would otherwise carbonise. I leave the pan to cool before brushing the salt into a bowl where I keep it for the next time.

As for removing the carbon build up now?

pic4.jpg

Any idea what thats called by any chance? Im looking on their website and cant see anything that long.

Edit - think I found it - is this what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭nc6000

nc6000 wrote: »

Thanks, I just found a great non branded (well, non important brand!) rectangular cast iron (not enamelled) one on amazon, 50cm!! for only 9.99 plus 4.99 postage but after discussion with the hubby Im not allowed buy any more cast iron until we have a bigger kitchen - I simply dont have the storage - dang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

TK Maxx has Le Creuset stoneware mainly, it's not cast iron so I wouldn't bother (personally).

I got a present of a 29cm oval casserole dish from an ex girlfriend (some present!) and it's awesome!

Next one is going to be a 26cm shallow casserole dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Griddle questions - similar to the one pictured, but plain black inside and out. In terms of how to clean it, I treat it similarly to my woks - season it. Cook on it, then scrub with bristle but no soap under scalding water, then dry on medium heat and then burn a patina of oil onto it. Doesn't rust, doesn't carbonise too badly, great to cook on.

I particularly like to place it over two elements, either one large and one small or two identical sizes but one on full heat and one on half, and enjoying the flexibility that gives me in cooking meat / veg at different heats.

(Particularly lamb chops in a mix of salt/cumin/smoked paprika and aubergine on the other half, later to be combined on the plate).

Main tip: oil the food, not the grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

le creuset is great, lots of it in tk maxx yesterday in arklow and some of it had the red stickers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Quick question - could you use a Le Creuset shallow casserole for a tarte tatin, or would it be best to use the frying pan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

have a cast iron pot for making soups and curries, used several times a week and still going strong, only have it a year but so easy to use and wash that I would definitely buy more of their gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

+1 for the Kildare Village shop, they're much cheaper. Seconds, but usually only a tiny mark on them. I have the black cast iron casserole dish and skillet pan and love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Le Creuset is the business alright.

But does anyone feel like they might get a hernia when lifting them with or without food inside!!

The casserole etc dishes weigh a ton even when empty. And I ain't got an eye level oven, so I do worry sometimes if I'm going to be able to bend down, extract dish, stand up and place on countertop, whew!

they are great, but bloody heavy.

• Advertisement

Yeah Spanish Eyes, have to agree.

Was suffering with a back injury last year and you know yourself, even when the injury is gone youre a bit tender, afraid to move certain ways for a while - well every sunday I used to spend going 'hubby - can you lift the cast iron out so I can check the roast!!' every so often!!!

I told my hubby recently that if there was ever an intruder in the house and I was in the kitchen, I wouldnt go for a knife, Id go for a cast iron pan!!

Advertisement