Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with my RAM

Options
  • 03-11-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So I had my RAM picked out and then I saw a thread on Reddit saying that RAM that is 1.65V can seriously feck up an Ivy Bridge processor in the long run. So I shopped around a bit and I was wondering if this Ram would be ok. I'm open to recommendations so long as they are the same price range and 8GB. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't know about seriously feck up the processor. That sounds like bull****. What does happen is that some motherboards won't run it at 1.65V when you put in the RAM first, so you can't get into the setup to select the appropriate voltage. That RAM is fine, but I'd go for the low profile stuff or G-Skill ripjaws as it's lower.

Monotype wrote: »
    I don't know about seriously feck up the processor. That sounds like bull****. What does happen is that some motherboards won't run it at 1.65V when you put in the RAM first, so you can't get into the setup to select the appropriate voltage. That RAM is fine, but I'd go for the low profile stuff or G-Skill ripjaws as it's lower.

Unfortunately it's true. It can damage the memory controller in the processor. I wouldn't recommend anything higher than stock on Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. Nehalem processors had a similar issue but 1.65V was the highest in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 megarusty

Do you think the one I linked in the OP would be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Get this.....
    Works a treat for me..
    I.5 volts low profile so no interferance with big cpu coolers...All Good

Both of the modules posted here are fine as they're 1.5V.

• Advertisement

Thanks man.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Tracked down the Intel post:
    http://communities.intel.com/thread/30798

Essentially Intel are saying that they don't 'validate' RAM that's above 1.5V. However, I suppose it pretty much plays a similar part to overclocking in that it may shorten CPU lifespan and it isn't officially supported by Intel. I don't think there's anything really to be very worried about there.

That said, I've always recommended that people avoid the 1.65V to get the 1.5V to minimise incompatibility issues.

megarusty - as others said I'd go for the low profile RAM instead so that it doesn't get in the way of large heatsinks.

Advertisement