Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tora! Tora! Tora!

• 03-11-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Since it has been so quiet here of late here is a new thread to show off your Jap stuff.

These are kind of a repost as I got them from the well respected member phaethon on here, but I have had them in my keeping long enough now to repost them.

1914-1920 Japanese War Medal
    This blackened bronze medal was awarded to the Japanese Army and Navy for their service with the Allies during WW1. This was when The Land of the Rising Sun was very pro-Western. But after what they felt as a snubbing from the West for not giving them proper credit for their services the emperor was furious and a monster was created. All ties with the West were broken, that was until that famous day in Pearl Harbour.....

The four kanji characters on the bar simply translate to "War Medal."
    Picture072.jpg

Translates to "Taisho era 3rd-9th Years War" (1914-1920). This is in reference to the Japanese involvement in the First World War, and beyond it to include actions in Siberia (Japanese troops, following the Bolshevik revolution, occupied Vladivostok until 1922).
    Picture074.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

When I met phaethon he told me that he had a Japanese Red Cross medal with him, something that to be honest I had no interest in. But when he handed me the box and I opened it I instantly wanted it. The sheer quality, weight, workmanship and beauty of this medal meant that I took it off his hands immediately. (Thanks again for that day!) I have my Aunties Irish(British) Red Cross medal from WW1 so it ties in with that also.

The Japanese Order of the Red Cross

Awarded for distinguished service to the Japanese Red Cross Society, the Order of Merit ("Yuknosho") was established in June of 1888 and is still awarded today.

Picture036.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture062.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Glad to see my previous items in good home!;)

Advertisement