Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait time for certificate

Options
  • 03-11-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Im due to finish my apprenticeship in December and was wondering does anyone have an idea how long it would take to receive the certficate from Fetac to say im qualified. Looking to travel to Canada and it is required to register as an Electrician. Have heard it can take upto 6 months to get it which is a disgrace if true.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

m.j.w wrote: »
    Im due to finish my apprenticeship in December and was wondering does anyone have an idea how long it would take to receive the certficate from Fetac to say im qualified. Looking to travel to Canada and it is required to register as an Electrician. Have heard it can take upto 6 months to get it which is a disgrace if true.

I am sure that if you explain your situation to Fás they will accommodate you.
    Many moons ago I found myself in a similar situation to you and they almost instantly produced the necessary paperwork for me. Due to the panic they left some of my results off the certificate so they had to reprint it :rolleyes:
    Anyway I had it in time to start my new job abroad. The funny thing is I have never been asked by any employer to produce a certificate for anything and I have had many different employers over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

2011 wrote: »
    I am sure that if you explain your situation to Fás they will accommodate you.
    Many moons ago I found myself in a similar situation to you and they almost instantly produced the necessary paperwork for me. Due to the panic they left some of my results off the certificate so they had to reprint it :rolleyes:
    Anyway I had it in time to start my new job abroad. The funny thing is I have never been asked by any employer to produce a certificate for anything and I have had many different employers over the years.

I rang my training advisor and he said it could take 4 months (dont see how it could take this long). I asked him could it be sped u a bit and he said "no this is the way it is". Ive heard of lads having to wait 6 months before they get theres. I know what you mean about jobs not needing the cert but in Canada you need it to register as an electrician so thats why im looking it. Its a disgrace that it can take so long!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

m.j.w wrote: »
    I rang my training advisor and he said it could take 4 months (dont see how it could take this long).
    How unhelpful and unacceptable.

I think that is a sure sign that you need to go "further up the food chain".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I qualified in April. I got a letter off Fas in June I think asking if I wanted to attend the presentation ceremony in November to collect my cert or did I just want it posted out to me.

I chose the latter and had it a couple of weeks later.

The FETAC committee only meet a couple of times a year in order to approve qualifications so that's what generally holds things up.I think they meet in February so you'll probably hear something around then.

Keep at them though,write letters to everyone you can think off if you have to

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

I was waiting around 3 months but had a friend waiting 9 months and he hounded them for it but made no progress. Dont know what the process is in there but the FETAC committee do have to approve it. You'd assume it'd be faster these days with less apprentices.

Not sure how it happened but I eventually got transferred to someone in Kilkenny, explained my problem and how long id been waiting, she was really sympathetic and I had my certificate not long after :) Its been sitting in a press never used or produced since lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement