Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone any experience with the student assistance fund?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I'm a final year undergrad student and I think I'm going to have to apply for the student assistance fund this year.

I have the forms here but I'm a little confused and was hoping someone might have experience here for me.

It doesnt specify how much the max is I could receive if I'm accepted.... but I'm finding it hard to decide how much to ask for? I could provide a receipt for my entire year's rent which I am really struggling with as a result, but surely that's going to be too much to expect from them? But at the same time I don't want to ask for too little either if I could get more?

I'm really struggling financially this year and I've had to borrow loads already but now it looks like I won't have enough money for semester two and can't really borrow much more so that's why I need it and taking my finances into account I'm fairly sure I'll be accepted for this fund just haven't a clue how many or what receipts to submit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Submit what you feel is important - food, rent, etc. I did it for medical reasons, and I got my medication bills paid. Weight off my shoulders!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You don't "ask" for an amount. Submit all your receipts and they decide how much you will be allocated, dependent on your needs and the total monies allocated to this years fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Thanks for that info guys. I'm just curious as to how much they usually give people though? I know it all depends on your circumstances etc. but realistically do they usually give you around a hundred euro? Or is it more like a few hundred? Or is it likely they could give you a thousand etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

augusta24 wrote: »
    Thanks for that info guys. I'm just curious as to how much they usually give people though? I know it all depends on your circumstances etc. but realistically do they usually give you around a hundred euro? Or is it more like a few hundred? Or is it likely they could give you a thousand etc?
    Assuming you're taking about the HEAR assistance fund, I don't think it has anything to do with circumstances - all HEAR students get the same amount - it just depends on the amount of money available to divide and the amount of students that are part of HEAR for any year.

This year it was €800 as far as I remember. It was sent out about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Assuming you're taking about the HEAR assistance fund, I don't think it has anything to do with circumstances - all HEAR students get the same amount - it just depends on the amount of money available to divide and the amount of students that are part of HEAR for any year.

This year it was €800 as far as I remember. It was sent out about a month ago.
    Thanks for your response but no I'm not talking about the HEAR.
    The student assistance fund is offered by the access office and any stdent can apply but it is means tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

augusta24 wrote: »
    Thanks for your response but no I'm not talking about the HEAR.
    The student assistance fund is offered by the access office and any stdent can apply but it is means tested.
    Ah ok, I didn't know there was a fund separate to HEAR. :)

Advertisement