Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for cheap, healthy, quick and interesting lunchbox meals

Options
  • 03-11-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Life at the moment is flipping hectic and I am generally out of the house before 8am and not back until after 10pm at least 5 days a week, sometimes 6 (am balancing job and study). Every couple of weeks I spend an afternoon cooking up some soups/stews/currys etc that I can freeze and I tend to bring these for lunches some days which is perfect.

Problem is, I only have access to a microwave for lunch 4 days a week and never in the evenings and I just find that if I wait until 10pm when I get home to eat, I would rather have something light like an egg plus anyway, no way I can get through an evening without having eaten something before 10pm.

On the odd evening I am home earlier, I do try cook up something that I can bring the leftovers of with me for the next day but as that is not every day I'm looking for ideas for things that I can either bulk cook and freeze or store in fridge for few days that are nice to eat cold, or lunchbox fillers that literally take next to no prep. Ideas for healthy snacks also welcome.

And all of this without spending an arm and a leg. I eat pretty much everything except peas (yuck) and tomatos (alergic) although I prefer not to eat too much meat or bread.

I've looked at all the threads about eating cheaply and healthly but they mostly focus on the bulk cooking, heating up left overs stuff that I already do so if anyone has any additional suggestions I would really appreciate hearing them,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried the Search function? There are loads of ideas already on this topic throughout the forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Hi tHB,

as I mentioned I did indeed look through the forum at the several threads on eating healthy food on a budget but as I said in my post, they mostly focus on cooking in bulk, freezing and reheating which assumes constant access to a microwave/cooker when you want to eat.

thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Nice idea for a thread, I'm in a similar position and also without a microwave.

It's hard to get beyond a decent sandwich and my own default would be to slap a few salmon darnes in the oven, wrapped in tinfoil, season at around the 200 mark for 20 mins or so. Then brown bread, lots of rocket and a teeny bit of good quality coldslaw. The salmon last 3 days in the fridge, so its half a weeks lunches sorted for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

What about pasta bake?
    You could make a cheesy tomato and chicken one. I really like them cold, and if you want some crunch, you could mix it into some salad leaves.

I used to live on a tuna pasta salad thing in college. I mixed diced red onion, peppers, sweetcorn, tinned tuna into cooked pasta shells and added some mayo. Again, if you wanna bulk it up, you could add some brown bread or salad.

Do you like hummus? I "decant" hummus into a small pot (enough for one decent serving), and have it with crackers or carrots. It's a great snack food and moves away from the typical "sambo"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I made a salad a few weeks ago that I loved and was perfect cold or at room temperature: chicken, feta, boiled new potatoes and whatever salad things you like, all tossed in a dressing made with oil, vinegar and lemon juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Here is one of my favorite recipes for a cheapish meatloaf, feel free to alter it to your own tastes but it really is very good eaten cold, it's as good as any terrine you'll buy at your local farmers market for a fraction of the price.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2938/hot-or-cold-meatloaf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pasta salads are probably the easiest, or perhaps a quiche?

I often eat slices of brie on crackers with a slice of apple on top for lunch. Very tasty, but pretty fattening :o.

As for snacks, a handful of nuts or dried fruits might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Noodle salad is nice and filling. I usually cook ramen noodles, toss in red pesto and mix with tinned sardines and mixed salad. Its nice hot or cold. Very cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Cornish pasties like this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055855181

or i make little pies in a muffin tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the ones that look quick to make! Keep em coming if anyone has any more! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Have a look at 101cookbooks.com. It's recipe based blog and has loads of the type of recipes you are asking about. I eat lunch in the car at least 4 times a week while my kids sleep in the back so like you need tasty and filling food that doesn't need to be reheated but not just sandwiches. I found some great recipes on there that also look quick and easy to make the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I sometimes make a really lush salad of rocker , melon cubes, peeled cubed cucumber feta with pancetta or smoked crispy bacon with balsamic,The odd time I also add walnuts. So simple and very feeling and if you want it make it more filling have some crusty bread.

A mixed bean salad is also a good option

or Homemade chicken noddle soup, so easy to make and it a full meal in a bowl. Also reheats well.

Spicy couscous salad with salmon is another lunch that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Just made a pasta salad that I think will taste good cold, is packed up for lunch.
    Made dressing with Mayo, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper. I boiled pasta (macaroni type) and in the meantime cut up scallions, green olives stuffed with garlic, semi-sun dried tomatoes and capers and pickled onions.
    Mixed everything together.
    Have a portion packed up for lunch along with a second container with slices of ham and salad from a pack including leaves, carrot and red cabbage. Also packed a fresh tomato. Hopefully will be a yummy lunch tomorrow

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

couscous is a big one for me, usually throw in some feta cheese, peppers, spring onion, olives etc.

rice and rice bakes are lovely cold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Maybe something like this egg loaf

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Quiche is a great way to use up bits of leftover veg, meat and cheese and i'm always happy to eat it cold too. If you don't want to go to the hassle of rolling pastry you can always make a crustless one. just make sure to crease your tin really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Quiche is a great way to use up bits of leftover veg, meat and cheese and i'm always happy to eat it cold too. If you don't want to go to the hassle of rolling pastry you can always make a crustless one. just make sure to crease your tin really well.

I do the same with frittata, you can use anything at all and it can be really nice eaten cold,
    I know it can take a while to make caramelised onions but a frittata with a lot(maybe six large onions for six eggs) of them and sliced cooked potato is a thing of beauty and just as nice cold.

Advertisement