Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using an ADSL router as a network router

• 03-11-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

With the system I use I have only two lan ports on my existing router. I cannot change that. I need to connect an ADSL router to an existing router so that I can have more lan ports. Tbh, I'm just thinking of saving a few bob. The reason why I'm asking could I connect an ADSL router is because I already have one. So this is what I am trying to do:

INTERNET CONNECTED EXISTING ROUTER
    > lan cable
    > ADSL router
    X3 out lans.

I know a network hub would probably do the job, but is it possible to plug the lan cable coming from my router into one of the lan ports of the ADSL modem so that it will distrubite the connection across the other 3 ports in the modem.

Like I said, it's just that I have this ADSL modem that I would like to use it as a network hub. If it's not possible, then I'll just have to go and buy one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

With the system I use I have only two lan ports on my existing router. I cannot change that. I need to connect an ADSL router to an existing router so that I can have more lan ports. Tbh, I'm just thinking of saving a few bob. The reason why I'm asking could I connect an ADSL router is because I already have one. So this is what I am trying to do:

> lan cable
    > ADSL router
    X3 out lans.

I know a network hub would probably do the job, but is it possible to plug the lan cable coming from my router into one of the lan ports of the ADSL modem so that it will distrubite the connection across the other 3 ports in the modem.

Like I said, it's just that I have this ADSL modem that I would like to use it as a network hub. If it's not possible, then I'll just have to go and buy one.
    Yes it is possible....just disable DHCP on the ADSL router and give it a different IP address than the main router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Disable the wireless too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Excellent stuff lads. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 agricamera

> lan cable
    > ADSL router
    X3 out lans.

A wireless ADSL router is basically made up of

- an 8 port ethernet switch (what you call a network 'hub')

- a wireless access point

- a router / firewall / dhcp server

- an adsl modem

They are connected:

adsl modem -- adsl router -- 8 port switch -- wireless access point

The 4 ports on the back of the router go directly into the switch, the other devices are connected internally on the circuit board.

So what I am trying to say is if you disable the router part and you disable the wireless part you are left with a 4 port switch (hub) exactly the same as you would buy in a shop :cool:

Advertisement