Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Artichoke Plant

• 03-11-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

This year I am growing a globe artichoke plant in a container. It did ok and next year, if it survives the winter, it should become productive. Any advice out there on how to over-winter it. The web suggests covering it with straw and then a cover. If so, do I need to regularly remove these covers and water it or do I leave it fallow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The present "structure" of the plant will die away over the winter and resprout from the roots next spring. All you need to do is to keep it fairly frost free and dry. Cut off the stalk etc to a few cm above the soil. Fill an empty pot with straw and turn it upside down over the crown of the plant. They are pretty hardy but it depends on what part of the country you are in.
    If you can keep the container in a cool shed that would be ideal but if you need to bring it indoors keep it in the coolest room possible.
    I wouldn't bother watering it much until you see the first shoots of growth in Feb/March. Then put it in a sunny spot, protect the new growth from frost and gradually harden it off until April/May. It will need a good feed too to help it produce good healthy globes.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

Thank you Lottpaul. I would really love this plant to survive and harvest next year. I live in Dublin. I won't be able to move the plant - it will have to overwinter out in my back garden. I realise that if we have a winter like a few winters ago that it will not survive. Unfortunately also my back garden faces fully north. I have purchased both straw (which I have already put around the top of the plant) and frost fleece (which I intend to put around container and plant tomorrow). Its planted mostly though in moss peat. If this dries out will the hibernating plant die???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

If its outside you should keep it on the dry side of things. It should never dry out to the point of crumbling away from the plant etc. Just enough to keep it slightly moist.
    If its planted in moss peat (which would have no food value at all) you will need to re-pot it in spring with a better type of compost. You may mean that its in compost? If so thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

Any advice out there on when would be a good time to uncover my globe artichoke plant? I covered it in straw etc in November which I haven't removed since. Lately with the frosts / near frosts overnight - I have been hesitant to risk it. According to weather forecast things are meant to get a bit milder but wetter in the second half of next week. Any advice seriously appreciated.

Advertisement