Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question re laws

Options
  • 03-11-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering Is it possible with the serious lack of regulation in the tattoo industry, for a person (specificly minors) to just buy the equipment, and start tattooing people from their home without even basic knowledge of health and safety? Please tell me it's not possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ladywhiteraven

It's not just possible, it is happening, a young lad (16) was recently caught tattooing 14 and 13 year olds with gear his mummy brought off ebay, he had no autoclave or ideas on effective sterilization, it was somewhere in England a few weeks ago.

I know SO many people who have brought kit and are tattooing friends, there is no law except regarding the age of persons being tattooed, as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

It's not just possible, it is happening, a young lad (16) was recently caught tattooing 14 and 13 year olds with gear his mummy brought off ebay, he had no autoclave or ideas on effective sterilization, it was somewhere in England a few weeks ago.

I know SO many people who have brought kit and are tattooing friends, there is no law except regarding the age of persons being tattooed, as far as I am aware.

From what I read there is no law regarding age. It is up to tattoo parlours put their own age restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ladywhiteraven

Scary scary stuff. I know the lad I mentioned in my first post was charged for assault on a minor, but he himself, at 16 is too young to be legally tattooed. I know everyone has to start somewhere but ...NO, just no

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

samina wrote: »
    Hi all. Just wondering Is it possible with the serious lack of regulation in the tattoo industry, for a person (specificly minors) to just buy the equipment, and start tattooing people from their home without even basic knowledge of health and safety? Please tell me it's not possible

In Ireland, yes this is true. I could go on ebay now, buy a kit and start tattooing people straight away. There's no laws or official regulation regarding tattoos here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Tattooing just isn't on anyone's radar, so they bother thinking about it or trying to make laws. I'd doubt we'll see any laws until the child of a politician comes home with a tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Scary scary stuff. I know the lad I mentioned in my first post was charged for assault on a minor, but he himself, at 16 is too young to be legally tattooed. I know everyone has to start somewhere but ...NO, just no
    They were charged because there is legislation in the UK for it. Here, there is nothing. There are no laws, no standards that must be adhered to, nothing at all.

Advertisement