Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, test shot c&c

• 03-11-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

I'm a fair weather photo taker. I have had a couple of DSLR's and dabbled in messing around with photos. As it happens, I prefer an opportunity shot rather than planning a day around taking pictures. So for me, a bridge camera is a better solution as it's light and gives me a wide range of control for the price. My old Canon Powershot S2 has seen better days so I just bought this FZ200 which seems to be a great little bridge camera. The big selling point is that it holds f2.8 right throughout the full zoom range of the lens (24x up to 600mm)

It only just arrived from Amazon yesterday so today is the first chance I have had to try it out although I did spend last night reading the manual and firing all kinds of shots at the tele :)
    This is my dog in the kitchen today. Very little p&p apart from slight vibrance to raw before exporting to jpeg and then scaling.

I'm pretty impressed with the camera for now. It's fast in low light. The lens seems decent for such a zoom (made by Leica), loads of nice features built in. Great auto focus and very easy to use manual focus. ISO is unusable below 800 but that's to be expected for bridge size and type sensors. A sweet little camera, very light and will take the place of the Canon nicely I think.

227041.JPG

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

nice pic. I like the way the green of the dog bed is reflecting on his coat.

I think it looks a bit noisy out of focus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

gsxr1 wrote: »
    nice pic. I like the way the green of the dog bed is reflecting on his coat.

I think it looks a bit noisy out of focus though.

Yes it does, It was shot using either 400 or 800 ISO but the freeware raw app I used didn't help either. It seems to add a lot of noise withe the vibrance. I shot in Raw+Jpeg and the jpeg file that came direct from the camera is free of that noise. So I hold my hands up, I'm still only learning to process raw files. When I load them into Raw Therapee, they are very dull and I end up over compensating or using the incorrect mix of controls to get the images usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

dnme wrote: »
    ISO is unusable below 800 but that's to be expected for bridge size and type sensors.

Above 800 perhaps?

For the photo, i'm sure its a sweet memory and keepsake of your dog.

To put a critical eye on it perhaps overstating the obvious :eek:, it lacks sharpness. I don't mind soft images at all but I think it can be subjective. I also think given this subjectiveness,there will be a resulting acceptable level of sharpness which I don't think you've managed to capture.

The dog's box is causing a green hue on the dog which is a bit unnatural to my eye?

The box itself is a bit distracting (there goes the cliched word), as it is occupying a significant part of the image but is neither subject or background.

The noise is noticeable in the image but you'd probably get away with it at print stage so maybe nothing to worry about.

Given your lighting setup, you've lost a lot of the definition of the dog to the right hand side of the photo (at least on my screen you have).

Is your composition a little too close / would it benefit from showing a little more of the dog?

All the above may not be a problem if that's the way you had intended it :) but maybe there's something in there which might strike a chord with you. Then again, i've never done pet photography so take it with a grain of salt ;)

Hope it helps anyway,

Cheers.

Advertisement