Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Pooing

• 04-11-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We got a kitten a few months ago (an adorable orange tabby male) and it took a while to litter train but it seemed after a few weeks, we got there. That was fine until during the week, we were moving furniture in the room the litter tray is (a spare room, only used for the occasional visitor so hasn't been used since we got the cat) when we noticed a puddle under the sofa bed. After inspecting, we found that the cat had been pooing and urinating under the folds of the sofa bed, which then had to be thrown out. We found further traces of poo under a chest of drawers.

Is there anyway to discourage this? He hasn't completely stopped using the litter tray, which is cleaned out whenever there's anything in it and blocking off every gap isn't exactly a viable option. He is healthy and was checked over in the vets a few weeks ago, when he was getting vaccinated. Can anyone offer any insight into this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, sorry to hear about the destruction of your spare room.
    I believe (check it out on google perhaps) that citronella essential oil helps keep cats out of certain areas if you want, like a room, plus it smells pleasant.
    Dosen't seem you uase the room very much, so maybe you could keep the door shut there?
    I have been thru this with a tabby, had the fecker for 11 years, and he would use his litter tray 95% of the time. Your story reminds me of the new sofa bed i bought on half price on a whim from clerys, he liked to do his business under there, and i hve thrown out so much bedding, toys, clothes etc after he destroyed them.
    I don't know why they don't take to the litter tray, maybe its something to do with boys, I have 1 male ginger tabby, and there have been one or 2 incidents where he has 'gone' in a bedroom, its a nightmare to deal with, but i must admit with him I hadn't been monitoring the litter tray.
    Could you put up another litter tray in the loo maybe, and keep the spare room door shut with a bit of citronella sprayed / burned in there (its very cheap).
    Boys do seem to be harder to litter tray train than girls, my 2 girls have not yet had any accidents fingers crossed.

Try another litter tray in case his access to the original one gets blocked, or is full. Maybe try a 'cat house' type tray- all my cats love the privacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I've said it before but my boy cat is now three years old and if I did not watch him constantly he would go to the toilet anywhere in our house! Mostly he goes outside, and if he is indoors he might use the litter tray, but I've caught him in our fireplace and in the hotpress, also in our ironing basket full of clothes! I immediately remove him and put him in the litter tray, but it just shows that if I didn't watch him, he would do it!!

Advertisement