Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Wall Tank?

Options
  • 04-11-2012 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Looking at maybe putting one of these in in a 4 inch stud wall.
    Anybody ever done it?
    I'll be boarding up french doors so might look at keeping an external filter behind an access panel as it seems to be the best way to preserve space in the tank.
    Walltanks do a 9 gallon one which looks ok value-wise but I'm not too gone on the frame finish.Can't find any irish sellers of comparable tanks...
    Haven't a clue as to what fish I'd put in-would like low maintenance colourful fish ideally so any advice welcome.

New to all this so I'm all ears TIA.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

staker wrote: »
    Looking at maybe putting one of these in in a 4 inch stud wall.
    Anybody ever done it?
    I'll be boarding up french doors so might look at keeping an external filter behind an access panel as it seems to be the best way to preserve space in the tank.
    Walltanks do a 9 gallon one which looks ok value-wise but I'm not too gone on the frame finish.Can't find any irish sellers of comparable tanks...
    Haven't a clue as to what fish I'd put in-would like low maintenance colourful fish ideally so any advice welcome.

New to all this so I'm all ears TIA.

You want to put a tank into a 100mm/4 inch thick stud wall??

Take the width of the tank glass into account and thats fcuk all space for the fish to swim and be happy and content.

Thats pretty cruel on the fish,and thats why I dont like these wall mounted/picture frame style narrow tanks.
    But thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

4.5" deep is really not acceptable for any fish. It would be the equivalent of keeping a dog on an apartment balcony where it only has room to turn around.

I guarantee that you will find a good second hand tank that's much more suitable for the same money. Put it on a nice stand and aquascape it nicely and it'll be just as much of a feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I was given a wall tank a few years ago.i only ran it for a few weeks as it was near impossible to keep the water parameters balanced.Wall tanks are no better than goldfish bowls in my opinion.Why not fit a proper tank with a cabinet underneath one side of the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Cheers for all the replies, didn't realise there'd be so mush distress caused to the fish.I really don't have the space on either side for a full depth tank unfortunately.
    Just wanted to see had anyone any success with one of these setups.
    And if there were any recommendations for fish which might be suitable for same..

Nothing really, even the smallest fish would only be able to, essentially, pace up and down.

Some cherry shrimp might work, or you could just have it as a water feature without any livestock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

kylith wrote: »
    Nothing really, even the smallest fish would only be able to, essentially, pace up and down.

Some cherry shrimp might work, or you could just have it as a water feature without any livestock.

Fair enough, wouldn't want to cause a fish a life of misery in any way tbh.
    Back to the drawing board for me.
    Gonna look into putting a shelf with a tank on it-there'll be a couch under the protruding shelf on one side so need to come up with something that will take the overhanging weight of the full tank.
    Looking over on other fish forums there's not much of what I'm trying to do out there,except for a few american youtube DIY's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

kylith wrote: »

Snails and nice plants could work too. If the tank was a bit deeper (maybe 6") you might possibly get away with a few small tetras but I can't imagine they'd be all that happy.

There's a lot you can do with smaller tanks, if you 'scape and stock them wisely.

Snails and nice plants could work too. If the tank was a bit deeper (maybe 6") you might possibly get away with a few small tetras but I can't imagine they'd be all that happy.

It'd depend on the size of the snails. Some nerites, maybe, or largish ramshorns, but an apple would probably be miles too big. Not a lot of people are that keen on having a tank full of snails though; personally I'd love a 20L with an apple snail, I think they're brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

if ur lookin for a good deal on a wall tank.what about this one

http://www.thepetcentre.ie/store.asp?a=fish&c=14&id=622

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It's 15cm deep, would that be ok for the nano fish and shrimp?

if ur lookin for a good deal on a wall tank.what about this one

http://www.thepetcentre.ie/store.asp?a=fish&c=14&id=622
    Jaysus, that's expensive! You'd get a brand new Juwel 180 for that.
    It's 15cm deep, would that be ok for the nano fish and shrimp?

That's still only 6 inches (roughly the length of your hand). Honestly I wouldn't feel too comfortable putting anything other than shrimp and snails in there. Cleaning it would be quite difficult too.

I also wouldn't trust anywhere that says it never needs to be emptied (do they mean no water changes?!), and that the filters only have to be cleaned once a year. It sounds like the kind of advice that's designed to kill as many fish as possible so that you keep having to restock; and good luck fishing the dead ones out with only a 6" gap.

Advertisement