Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walking out of a job

• 04-11-2012 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm just wondering if I walk out of my job without giving my employer any notice, I just casually walk out, am I still entitled to payment for the days I worked?

My employer is really really nasty. He's made me cry numerous times. Tonight just took the biscuit :(

I signed a contract a few months ago and I am on 6 month probation at the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Hi

I'm just wondering if I walk out of my job without giving my employer any notice, I just casually walk out, am I still entitled to payment for the days I worked?

My employer is really really nasty. He's made me cry numerous times. Tonight just took the biscuit :(

I signed a contract a few months ago and I am on 6 month probation at the moment.

Thanks
    What is your notice period on probation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Hi

Thanks

No not if you walk out. Meant to give two weeks notice. Any holiday days left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

it's a week's notice if you've worked 13 weeks or longer, and unless you've signed a contract with a longer notice period.

You're entitled to days you've worked, but it could get messy if you just walk out. They might treat the notice period that you're not working as annual leave - but I've no idea what happens if you haven't accrued enough leave to cover it.

No matter how unlikely it is, just remember that you will be breaching your contract if you don't serve enough notice. In reality, they might not do anything about it - but you should be aware of it.

If you give your notice and make it clear that you're very unhappy and want to finish at the earliest possible date, they might waive the notice period anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

We weren't even given a copy of our contracts tbh. (Very stupid not to demand one looking back). So I have no idea if notice is even required.

It's a part time job, very casual, you could work 4 hours one week, then 20 hours the next. Sometimes you could even go a month or two without work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Sometimes you could even go a month or two without work.

Isn't a zero hour contract illegal unless you get compensated for being on call but not getting any hours. Someone on here will be able to confirm or contradict me as I'm not 100% on it.

• Advertisement

ahyeahok wrote: »

Isn't a zero hour contract illegal unless you get compensated for being on call but not getting any hours. Someone on here will be able to confirm or contradict me as I'm not 100% on it.

I have no idea. Would anyone be able to clarify this?

It wouldn't surprise me. He let my friend go over a year ago purely because he had a disliking for him (my friend was a very hard worker), so my friend did some research and it turned out the company wasn't registered. He threatened my employer with this fact and low and behold a few weeks later we're all called to an urgent meeting and the company is now a different name and we are told to sign contracts there and then (we weren't allowed to take them home)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You're entitled to a copy of your contract.
    All sounds a bit dodgy to be honest.

There is a lot of dodginess within the company. I have no idea where to go about reporting his company. He even went as far as deducting money from our accounts for our uniform without telling us. In most places the uniform is free. He charged us €30 for a plain really poor quality jacket. I'd say he bought them for €5 and charged us €25 over and above that

I have left the job.

I wish I could say what my job is but for my own privacy it's best not to say.

I have worked in this job for almost three years, and never once have I received Holiday Pay.

For the first two years I hadn't signed any contract. I didn't even receive payslips.

Only up until the past year have I been receiving payslips and have I signed a contract.

My question is, am I entitled to Holiday Pay for the payslips which I have received?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You are entitled to holidays pro rata for all the days you worked. You're contract will show when you work and your former employer will need to prove you've been paid holiday pay. His pay records will show that.
    The fact you've not been given holidays is illegal.
    Also the deduction of money from your wages without your consent is illegal, as is the non provision of a payslip. I cant think of the legislation off hand.

You're best bet is to contact NERA at http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/ and they can advise you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I was in this position before, my first real job at seventeen, I had just moved out of home, to a different county, I was really lonely and having a hard time.... So excited to have gotten a job, then I had the manager from hell. She was so rude to everyone (not just me) and called me thick and stupid within my first week. The final straw was when I ravelled up a hoover lead 'the wrong way' at the end of the day and she said the exact words 'I'll bloody kill you if you do it like that again'.. Obviously it was a figure of speech and not as dramatic as it sounds but it just made me hate the woman. I then proceeded to involuntarily cry when we were in the lift together.

I went home that night and couldn't sleep for worry of going in the next day, so I called in sick. Went in the next day and she ate the head of me (maybe fairly so, I don't know) Without thinking it through I just blurted it out that I couldn't work here and needed to quit. She then proceeded to tell me I had to work for the next two weeks regardless of what I wanted and it wasn't HER fault that I was quitting as she hasn't done anything (The employee handbook specified no period of notice if you worked there for less than 2 months, I was only at a month at this point and also bare in mind I never mentioned WHY I was quitting, so maybe she knew what a cow she was, I don't know)

Anyway, I said ok that is fair and went ahead with the hours, kept my head down, while the other employees tried to convince me to stay (they had gotten used to her bull**** at this point) and the Gen Manager asked for a meeting also to try and convince me to stay. I didn't have the heart to tell him why, and get that b-i-t-** in trouble. I proceeded to finish and got another job that I loved within a week and continued for a period of time (extreme luck, and nothing more) .

Anyway, the long story of my personal experience short, PLEASE find out first if you need to give notice, because the worst thing for me was saying I was quitting, and then having to work alongside this woman (the job involved being in the same small room for seven hours a day, very awkward) knowing it was her fault, and her knowing I didn't want to be there. It was terrible, and I couldn't wait to get out.

I hope it works out for you, and I'm sorry you have had bad experiences too, it is never nice. Good luck.

*Edit, apologies, I missed your last post there, glad it went ok for you so far, hope you find something soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I have left the job.

I wish I could say what my job is but for my own privacy it's best not to say.

I have worked in this job for almost three years, and never once have I received Holiday Pay.

For the first two years I hadn't signed any contract. I didn't even receive payslips.

Only up until the past year have I been receiving payslips and have I signed a contract.

My question is, am I entitled to Holiday Pay for the payslips which I have received?

PLEASE report this employer to NERA, so that you can get what you are owed and so there is less chance of him doing it to others in the future. It's guys like this who figure no-one will ever bother to report them so they carry on exploiting their workers.

PLEASE report this employer to NERA, so that you can get what you are owed and so there is less chance of him doing it to others in the future. It's guys like this who figure no-one will ever bother to report them so they carry on exploiting their workers.

Hi

I phoned NERA yesterday and they told me, contract or no contract, I am fully entitled to Annual Leave since the day I started. They said if he doesn't pay up I am to fill out a claims form and send it into them.

I tried making contact with him for my Annual Leave but he's not responding. I think he has completely cut contact however I am going to give it a few days and see if he decides to reply.

If I do end up having to complete a claims form, does anyone know the exact process?

Advertisement