Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deloitte V Pwc

• 04-11-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Advice needed!!

Have an offer from both Pwc and Deloitte both in Dublin, and both in industry audit... Anyone have any opinions on which is better? Both seem to offer seriously good training and have similar clients..

Pwc - has a much nicer office, free gym and biggest of big four in Ireland..

Deloitte - seem to treat staff really well, very broad client base, and dedicated "academy" for exams sections of office.

Anyone know anything about the specifics? i.e. exam leave, holiday days, overtime (paid or time in lieu), salary..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

JamessyJ wrote: »
    Advice needed!!

Have an offer from both Pwc and Deloitte both in Dublin, and both in industry audit... Anyone have any opinions on which is better? Both seem to offer seriously good training and have similar clients..

Pwc - has a much nicer office, free gym and biggest of big four in Ireland..

Deloitte - seem to treat staff really well, very broad client base, and dedicated "academy" for exams sections of office.

Anyone know anything about the specifics? i.e. exam leave, holiday days, overtime (paid or time in lieu), salary..

both toil for overtime, for the rest you would need to check your contracts I attended presentations from them both and deloitte were talking about 6 weeks exam leave +toil +holidays while PWC were talking about longer exam leave but I'm not really sure how much was exam leave and how much was other things added together to make up exam leave

Best of luck with whatever you choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

It's hard to go wrong with either. As previous poster said - TOIL is very important as a trainee and both seem to offer it.

Exam leave in Deloitte is more flexible - you choose the amount of additional leave beyond the CAI minimum. In PwC (and KPMG) the exam leave is standard and every trainee gets the same amount (no more, no less). So in some ways Deloitte is better in that sense as you can choose to take a little less TOIL as study leave if you feel you don't need it (and take €€€ or time off instead!).

You mention industry audit - I am assuming you mean non financial services? If that is the case make sure you check your offers. When I was doing the milkround I seem to remember PwC offers were general and the group was assigned later whereas my Deloitte and KPMG offers were for the group I interviewed in. This may have changed in the last few years however.

Regarding exam training and all that - no really difference in the firms from my experience going through the CAPs and FAE. Obviously some have more supports but makes no odds by the end of study leave from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 conmcma

Can I ask how long you waited from interview to offer for pwc audit in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JamessyJ

Thanks Ciaran & Tom..

Any idea which would look better on the cv after?? Considering pwc is much bigger in Ireland I'd assume that would make a difference..

Yeah it's "non-financial" audit..

Also does anyone know if I can accept both and then decide in June when I get the proper contracts?? As they don't outline salary, exam leave, holidays etc in their initial offers..

@conmcma, PWC rang me the same evening I had the interview, but if you havent got the call yet I wouldnt be too worried as I know lots of people who havent heard yet, I don't know what order they ring in but they told me they'd be still letting people know this week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Without a doubt I'd go with PwC.

I trained there and thought it was excellent. Also now I'm in industry I've had all big4 come in and do work for me and PwC are significantly higher standard than the others. Also on your CV afterwards PwC will be regarded better.

And I've recruited financial accountants into industry and in interviews the calibre of staff from PwC has been higher than the other 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

From a recruitment perspective, its a tossup. Both have an illustrious list of clients.

The key is work hard, get on the best audits and therefore give yourself the best chance of getting a good role on the back of your experience. We're finding more and more, that those with really strong internal performance rating (i.e. a 1 in PWC or a 5 in Deloitte) are getting multiple offers within large plc's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

JamessyJ wrote: »
    Also does anyone know if I can accept both and then decide in June when I get the proper contracts?? As they don't outline salary, exam leave, holidays etc in their initial offers..

While there is nothing to stop you it's not the most honest thing to do. There will be negligble differences between salary/exam leave/holidays between all the Big 4. Make your decision now, they are quite fair in giving you a reasonable amount of time to decide.

Also - as previous poster said, there is little difference career wise. Work hard in any of them and you'll do alright.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I trained there and thought it was excellent. Also now I'm in industry I've had all big4 come in and do work for me and PwC are significantly higher standard than the others. Also on your CV afterwards PwC will be regarded better.

And I've recruited financial accountants into industry and in interviews the calibre of staff from PwC has been higher than the other 3.

Well there you have it OP, if you enjoy working with people with this kind of attitude you know where to go..... for me that is the difference between the two firms but only in Dublin! :p

Most of my working live has been in mainland Europe and over the course of the last 25 years I've had dealings with both firms in Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland and I could not see a difference between them.

At the end of the day, as long as your results are up to scratch and you've got one of the big 4 on your resume, you'll done fine. Don't over analyse it, go with what makes you feel comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Richie75

I'm personally going for Deloitte.

PWC have a nice office but in audit how much time do you spend there and at the end of the day, I found the people in Deloitte to be nicer and better to work with. The trainees also spoke well about it and I found the managers and partner I met to be genuine.

As an aside, I was also told Deloitte are looking at moving offices to facilitate their growth, one of their managers mentioned it at the careers event.

That's my two pence worth. It comes down to your own gut feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JayGatz

Hey guys, I'm in a somewhat similar position to OP.

I've just gotten an offer of a place in Tax next year. I've also just interviewed with Deloitte for their Consulting practise. I don't know whether or not I'll get the latter yet, but on the off-chance I do I thought I'd better check in.

Can anyone advise if there's potential long-term to move into other areas of business in PwC? I only ask because I do have a strong interest in strategy and consulting, so while I'm sincerely tempted to take the Tax offer I'm not certain. I really enjoyed the interview process at PwC and from what I've heard the training is world-class and the AITI is a good qualification to have in most areas of business regardless, especially if you're hoping for a bit of an international element in your career.

Don't suppose anyone has any experience in working in their Tax department?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

That's one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read. If PWC staff have this attitude i would stay well clear

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Richie75

I'd like to thank PWCs recruitment department for their kind words. At the end of the day, there is a spread of good and bad peolpe across all firms. Just look at the people from yoru own college course who accept offers. Go for whichever you feel suits you best.

pauldoo wrote: »
    That's one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read. If PWC staff have this attitude i would stay well clear

It's based on nearly 10 years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

It's based on nearly 10 years of experience.

Having experience doesn't make it right. It makes no sense! You will have both strong and weak staff in each of the big 4

pauldoo wrote: »
    Having experience doesn't make it right. It makes no sense! You will have both strong and weak staff in each of the big 4

Well it's just my opinion from my own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

It's your call mate.
    Where did you feel most comfortable during the interview?
    You'll be spending 3/3.5 years there so thats really the most important thing.
    There's really not much difference between PwC and Deloitte.
    PwC are bigger in Ireland but in the global scheme of things there's not much difference between them.
    Getting big 4 on your c.v. and tge training and experience that entails is the most important thing.

Advertisement