Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Alberta

• 04-11-2012 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi Ive a question about the alberta driving test procedure . Do i have to pass the road test within 90 days of entering canada in order to bypass the normal procedure ?? or can I still bypass the normal learner permit then 1 year wait then road test , any time because Ive an Irish license or does it really have to take place within 90 days ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

It depends on how long you have had your full licence. If you have had it over 2 years you can do the theory test and then when your learners permit comes you can sit the test. If its under 2 years you can't skip any of it.

The 90 day thing is because its illegal to drive on your Irish licence for more than 90 days. Many people still do it but if your stopped on it the police can fine you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Thanks for the reply bstar .I have a full Irish license for 8 years . I not sure if I worded it correctly but I heard somewhere that in order to bypass the normal waits I have to do the test within the 90 days ? or say If i waited six months would I still be ok to do the road test straight away because Ive a full license ?

Also in the meantime can I get insured on my irish license ?

Can I drive for 12 months on the international driving permit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

rusheen wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply bstar .I have a full Irish license for 8 years . I not sure if I worded it correctly but I heard somewhere that in order to bypass the normal waits I have to do the test within the 90 days ? or say If i waited six months would I still be ok to do the road test straight away because Ive a full license ?

Also in the meantime can I get insured on my irish license ?

Can I drive for 12 months on the international driving permit ?

What wait period do you mean? As you have the licence 8 years you can go in do the theory and when you get your learners permit about 2 weeks later you do the road test.

The 90 days is like I said as you can't drive on the Irish licence legally after 90 days. You can wait if you like you can still skip the waiting period but you will get questions asked at the registry.

You can get insurance on the international permit but it will cost a lot more than an Alberta licence.

If you are buying a car and insuring it, I would do the test straight away as you will save a grand or so in insurance prices.

Advertisement