Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunset - Lough Carra / Lough Mask

Options
  • 04-11-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can tell me where around Lough Carra and / or Lough Mask would be the best views for a sunset? :)

I'll be cycling up that way this coming week on a Personal Challenge but would like to take in a lovely sunset if the time and place is right by me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist,

kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Anywhere on the eastern shore of lough mask with a view to the north west, south or west from ballinrobe would be a good place, if you get a sunny day, the sun dropping down behind the mountains is something to behold.

heres a good viewing point if you can get to it:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.631509,-9.29143&spn=0.00397,0.00824&t=m&z=17

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Oldtree wrote: »
    Anywhere on the eastern shore of lough mask with a view to the north west, south or west from ballinrobe would be a good place, if you get a sunny day, the sun dropping down behind the mountains is something to behold.

heres a good viewing point if you can get to it:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.631509,-9.29143&spn=0.00397,0.00824&t=m&z=17

Thank You :) I was looking online and a few sites are saying the sun would be setting about the 4:40 - 4:55pm marker so I must really get my timing right with my distances. I'll try and aim for there but I'll be solo and that location looks so isolated so maybe if I complete my cycling early enough I could drive there :confused:

Must get my maps and timing done right for this - another nice challenge for me :)

Cheers Oldtree!

An easier spot to view the mountains and sunset with a spectacular view, albeit marred somewhat by the esb wires, is at this corner just outside the neale 5km south of ballinrobe, zoom in here

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=ballinrobe&hl=en&ll=53.567943,-9.233494&spn=0.015903,0.032959&sll=45.748862,9.304008&sspn=4.783566,8.4375&t=h&hnear=Ballinrobe,+County+Mayo&z=15

Oldtree wrote: »
    An easier spot to view the mountains and sunset with a spectacular view, albeit marred somewhat by the esb wires, is at this corner just outside the neale 5km south of ballinrobe, zoom in here

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=ballinrobe&hl=en&ll=53.567943,-9.233494&spn=0.015903,0.032959&sll=45.748862,9.304008&sspn=4.783566,8.4375&t=h&hnear=Ballinrobe,+County+Mayo&z=15

Ah Thanks so much for this! Seriously. My cycling has to be postponed by a week due to an accident I had lastnight but I can't wait to view the sunset by Ballinrobe.
    When I saw this thread re-appearing just there in my threads via CP, I just smilled. I have to see a sunset up around Lough Carra / Lough Mask so it will be done, just a lickle delayed by me.

Cheers again Oldtree! :)

the sunsets are staggering and something to behold,

However I had a thought about the cycling after dark in the winter, it is probably not a good idea around that area as the roads leave something to be desired both in width, blind turns and potholes.

V live long and prosper.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I'd second Caher and Cushlough piers 5 mins drive from Ballinrobe as Oldtree said. But all depends on where you are cycling. Plenty of views of both lakes in Partry too.

Cushlough
    IMG_2639adjusted1.jpg

Caher
    IMG_2617adjusted1.jpg

Caher
    ajustedpic1.jpg

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I'd second Caher and Cushlough piers 5 mins drive from Ballinrobe as Oldtree said. But all depends on where you are cycling. Plenty of views of both lakes in Partry too.

Cushlough
    IMG_2639adjusted1.jpg

Caher
    IMG_2617adjusted1.jpg

Caher
    ajustedpic1.jpg

Ah I can't wait to hop back on my bike and cycle up around there catching those sunsets! :)

Thanks Mayo Miss!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Ah I can't wait to hop back on my bike and cycle up around there catching those sunsets! :)

Thanks Mayo Miss!

Are you doing the route around Lough Mask? There is some fabulous scenery around the lakes, well worth driving if it's too long a cycle for you.

Are you doing the route around Lough Mask? There is some fabulous scenery around the lakes, well worth driving if it's too long a cycle for you.

I will be cycling two routes over two days:
    Day#1 Lough Corrib
    Day#2 Lough Mask/Lough Carra

I'd an accident lastnight and was thrown off my bike and my legs are both worse for wear today and my neck is in pain so just waiting anxiously to recover before I can hop back on my bike to complete my two cycles above. It's part of / Completion of a Personal 5-Lakes Cycling Challenge :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I will be cycling two routes over two days:
    Day#1 Lough Corrib
    Day#2 Lough Mask/Lough Carra

I'd an accident lastnight and was thrown off my bike and my legs are both worse for wear today and my neck is in pain so just waiting anxiously to recover before I can hop back on my bike to complete my two cycles above. It's part of / Completion of a Personal 5-Lakes Cycling Challenge :)

Ouch! If you have any questions about the area feel free to ask.

There is also a good cycling club in Ballinrobe if you needed advice on that front.
    http://westernlakescc.com/

• Advertisement

Ouch! If you have any questions about the area feel free to ask.

There is also a good cycling club in Ballinrobe if you needed advice on that front.
    http://westernlakescc.com/

Ah that's really nice of you, Thank You :)

Advertisement