Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clogherhead

Options
  • 04-11-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am currently looking to buy a house as I have to move back to Ireland following quite a few years abroad, I have been looking at Balbriggan but decided to look a little further afield and was looking at Clogherhead, I saw houses or sale on a development called Chapel Hill, I see that these houses are being old "as is" I wondered if anyone knows anything about this development? Any info would be very welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd consider researching this area very carefully before buying a house there....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

This will offend some but a lot will agree:

I wouldn't live in clogherhead if I was given a house for free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I live outside Clogherhead near Port Beach and it is a lovely place to live. If I'm honest I don't really like the village of Clogherhead, there is very little in it and there are too many housing estates. But if you can get a nice house on the outside of the village I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, I am going to view the house on Chapel Hill tomorrow which I believe is just on the outskirts of the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Monasterboice area is really nice ,
    sandpit
    baltray.to name but a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Have a look at the estate (ard na mara) on the way to the church,there is one left there afaik,well at least there is a sign on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Been living in The Beeches in Clogherhead for three years and really love it. Great to have the beaches nearby. There isn't much in the village but they've been trying to give it a bit of a facelift in recent times and I believe there are further plans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

My OHs family have a mobile home in the park.
    I've been 3 times in 8 years, went to the Harbour bar.. havent been back since :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Never been in the Harbour Bar in fairness - heard that it was closed these days. Did hear that it wasn't the best mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I was up there on Tuesday viewing the house and must say that I quite liked the look and feel if the village, everyone I met seemed friendly enough, the Harbour Bar did paper to be closed own and was advertised for lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Newonhere wrote: »
    I was up there on Tuesday viewing the house and must say that I quite liked the look and feel if the village, everyone I met seemed friendly enough, the Harbour Bar did paper to be closed own and was advertised for lease.

Hi do you have a new job and if so where are you gong to be based?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I live outside of the village itself, up on Castlecoe hill. Ive been in the pub there a few times, but its a fairly depressing place. The shopkeepers in all the shops are really nice. The problem is that there seems to be a severe shortage of people with money, or at least those that are spending it.

I only moved here from Malahide around May this year. It sure is a hell of a lot cheaper, I went from a 1 bed apt to a 5 bedroom house for the exact same price. The bad thing is living in an area which feels a bit deprived.

Its the first time in my life that Ive lived somewhere like this and I chose it because of the cheap renting, thinking to myself that it wouldnt really matter what the village/Drogheda is like because I would have a lovely big house etc etc. Well on sunny days its great and when friends come around to visit. However the general day to day stuff isnt very good. Im fairly certain I will be moving out of Louth altogether after this 12 month lease is up and I will make sure I try somewhere with a bit more vibrance.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for yourself and what interests you. This is what I love about renting, it allows you to get a good feel for a place without much commitment. I remember the elation at moving into such a lovely big home with garage, massive garden and loads of privacy and thinking "OMG should I just ask if its for sale?". My feelings now are very different because it has dawned on me that I would like to be in an area with a little more affluence and obvious signs of success. I dont mean to sound snobby or like Im looking down on people, its just the feeling I get when I drive through the village and I see the same faces hanging outside the bars smoking, just looking really sad and miserable.

Have you thought about renting for a while to get a feel for a place? Im sure you could easily negotiate a 6 month lease. Dont be in a hurry to buy something because with the market the way it is, you could make a costly mistake thats difficult to rectify.

Advertisement